Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 18:05   #10546
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Multiple alerts :

1. Road work started after Zuri leading to a pile up till PSN Gate 1. Dimwits have got a dozer which is levelling the left lane.

2. Truck breakdown in Kadubisanhalli when going towards silk board. Stick to right.

Surprisingly reached home in 1.5hrs that too on a Friday. Not sure why. If this continues I will take ring road itself instead of my through the city route ��
Old 8th January 2016, 23:21   #10547
BHPian

Helmets must for pillion riders in Bangalore City from Jan 12, 2016 Source

It seems they have notified in December, but did anyone hear about this ? Not enough time to adhere to this rule, isnt it ?

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 8th January 2016 at 23:22.
Old 9th January 2016, 00:31   #10548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
......Not enough time to adhere to this rule, isnt it ?
Ignoring for a moment the 'outrageous' idea that this shouldn't need a rule at all- I guess that's too much to expect in a country that wears its helmets to protect the traffic cop - how long does it take to comply exactly?
Old 9th January 2016, 05:05   #10549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Helmets must for pillion riders in Bangalore City from Jan 12, 2016 Source

It seems they have notified in December, but did anyone hear about this ? Not enough time to adhere to this rule, isnt it ?

I totally welcome this idea! Word pillion is defined as "a seat for passenger behind a motorcyclist". In India, we have other seats too. Passengers in the front, the fuel tank that doubles up as a seat and the foot well in scooters for those who can stand and travel - generally for kids. Hope it is made mandatory for every passenger.
Old 9th January 2016, 12:32   #10550
Senior - BHPian

Back to square one at Marathahalli Bridge.

Quote:
Traffic signal light will be installed at Marathalli bridge to streamline the flow of traffic. Tulsi opening will be closed.
Dr. M A Saleem, IPS
Additional Commissioner of Police - Traffic, Bengaluru City.
Also, if anyone has noticed, there is a skywalk that has been constructed near Spice Garden, after crossing Marathahalli Bridge while going towards Kundalahalli.

Unfortunately, though construction was completed, the skywalk was closed from both sides forcing people to unnecessarily risk their lives and cross the road. I assume they were waiting for one of our pious netas to open up the skywalk.

This morning, I was armed with a pair of pliers and this was the result:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-skywalk.jpg
ashwin.terminat is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 19:49   #10551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Hahaha, awesome stuff. Did you use it?
Old 9th January 2016, 22:39   #10552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hahaha, awesome stuff. Did you use it?
Yes, I opened it from one end then used the skywalk to get to the other end to open it up.

And then used it to cross the road again.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 12:49   #10553
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I opened it from one end then used the skywalk to get to the other end to open it up.

So effectively you tampered with public property?
Also, what if it was closed on purpose, maybe say there was a girder which was inspected, and found not to be upto to scratch?
Old 10th January 2016, 13:06   #10554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

While the intent is definitely appreciable, I also feel it was a risky thing to do (You really did it right? ). Although, in all probability, a pending official inauguration is the reason that it had not been opened (I think there was an election code of conduct in place till Dec last week sometime due to MLC elections), it may have been left closed due to some other pending work/inspection also.

I do recall seeing the barricades open sometime in December. I had thought it had been officially opened then. Maybe they closed it up again.
Old 10th January 2016, 18:37   #10555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
So effectively you tampered with public property?
Also, what if it was closed on purpose, maybe say there was a girder which was inspected, and found not to be upto to scratch?
Yes, I tampered with public property.

Why? The public needs the tampering. I travel by bike to work, I have no need for that foot over bridge.

That is our money that is being spent. No politician should tell us when it should be used and when it can't unless there is a legitimate reason to do so. Moreso when it is matters of public safety.

I am not willing to let people risk their lives to cross that road when their is a higher possibility for them to cross the road using the footover bridge more safely.

I thought about it for a week before I went ahead with it. I have noticed that no work has been done on it for weeks on end now.

I am almost 100% sure they are waiting for some great politician to show up, pose for photographs and then inaugurate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
While the intent is definitely appreciable, I also feel it was a risky thing to do (You really did it right? ). Although, in all probability, a pending official inauguration is the reason that it had not been opened (I think there was an election code of conduct in place till Dec last week sometime due to MLC elections), it may have been left closed due to some other pending work/inspection also.

I do recall seeing the barricades open sometime in December. I had thought it had been officially opened then. Maybe they closed it up again.
Yes, risky it was.

Personally, no election code of conduct should put political mileage above the lives of citizens.

That is very high risk road to cross because vehicles are coming off and getting onto Marathahalli Bridge. I have seen people struggling to climb the big blocks of stones in the middle of the road in their harrowing experiences to cross the road.

Add to their misery, our impatient drivers who misconstrue their impatience for intelligence.

Beat a pedestrian to the punch and crossed the road before he could? Pat yourself on the back and feel proud for what you have achieved is the attitude most of our drivers have.

No political shenanigans concern me in any way. My only concern is if the footover bridge is not fully complete. But going by how there has been no work whatsoever on it for weeks now and the fact that is fully painted, I found that it was a risk worth taking.

Again, I am rarely a pedestrian, I have nothing to gain from this exercise.

ashwin.terminat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 19:46   #10556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I tampered with public property. Why? The public needs the tampering.
Well done. I am with you there.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 07:28   #10557
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully may more such projects take off to ease the burden on the roads in Bangalore

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/50504041.cms
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 11:30   #10558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Back to square one at Marathahalli Bridge

Attachment 1458574
Unfortunately, looks like someone has closed this again.
Old 11th January 2016, 11:40   #10559
BHPian

Quote:
I am not willing to let people risk their lives to cross that road when their is a higher possibility for them to cross the road using the footover bridge more safely.

I thought about it for a week before I went ahead with it. I have noticed that no work has been done on it for weeks on end now.

I am almost 100% sure they are waiting for some great politician to show up, pose for photographs and then inaugurate it.
"Almost"? Is that really good enough? What if it was closed due to a defect? What if people start using it and it results in someone getting injured? How are you so sure that you have not let people risk their lives, by opening it without finding out and ascertaining that it is 100% safe?

On another note, a similar skywalk was constructed and opened for public use in KR Puram market. But 90% pedestrians still choose to cross the road and do not use the skywalk. What a waste of taxpayer's money
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 12:12   #10560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
"Almost"? Is that really good enough? What if it was closed due to a defect? What if people start using it and it results in someone getting injured? How are you so sure that you have not let people risk their lives, by opening it without finding out and ascertaining that it is 100% safe?
Tell me, what are the odds that our beloved BBMP has performed a quality check on the footover bridge and deemed it not upto their lofty standards?

The QA in BBMP is a joke. Their own QA team has admitted that 90% of our roads are substandard.

It has been painted, no work has happened for weeks now, people are using it to put up banners, it is not being cleaned.

If it did have a defect, the whole footover bridge would be at risk, whether people cross it or not is immaterial. So if it is indeed structurally defective, the weight of the footover bridge itself is enough of a test compared to around 10-15 people walking on it.

Moreover, people were scampering around on it and working on it for weeks on end before it was closed. Don't you think they would have found such a life threatening defect during construction itself?

I am not a fool to open it without considering these factors. If people had still been working on it, I would not have opened it, whatever the circumstances. But that is clearly not the case.

This is nothing but a case of want of political mileage at the expense of citizens.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 11th January 2016 at 12:17.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks