Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2016, 17:55   #10591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
That'll be the turning point, I'd say.

Traffic woes were limited to employee discomfort so far (who cares for the sardines as long as the tin reaches the godown, eh?), but it's started to affect productivity (ergo revenue & profits), and that' where most corporates will draw the line. Can't lose money, No Siree!
Capgemini recently revealed some startling figures about the losses they incur due to our stellar traffic.

Quote:
A number of companies (like Capgemini) may drop out of ORR and Whitefield and go to North Bengaluru, when their leases expire. “If that doesn’t work, they will go to Pune or Hyderabad or Chennai, where there are traffic problems, but the magnitude is much less,” said Natarajan Radhakrishnan, senior vice president and Bangalore head of Capgemini. With around 4 lakh people employed with IT companies located at Whitefield and ORR, he estimates that traffic alone has cost the industry losses amounting to over Rs. 22,000 crore per annum.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-12bg_ats_capgem_13_2655334e.jpg

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle7982008.ece
Old 13th January 2016, 18:12   #10592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Capgemini recently revealed some startling figures about the losses they incur due to our stellar traffic.

Attachment 1460085

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle7982008.ece
22,770 crores in INR is equivalent to 3.5 billion USD. That is almost the entire budget of metro phase 2. Bangalore has approx 3000 KM of road network. Considering 7 crore per KM, entire Bangalore roads can be relaid. Note that 1 KM 6 lane national highway costs 8 crores. So you will have NH standard road. Alternatively, 1 KM TenderSure road costs around 1.5 crores

Surely somebody making up the figures and so it doesn't hold water. If it isn't, then Bangalore problems can be solved in 2 years - 1st year metro and 2nd year road network with money generated from Capgemini

Last edited by msdivy : 13th January 2016 at 18:13.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 18:23   #10593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

Surely somebody making up the figures and so it doesn't hold water. If it isn't, then Bangalore problems can be solved in 2 years - 1st year metro and 2nd year road network with money generated from Capgemini
The 22000 figure is not from capgemini alone. This is an estimate y based on entire orr and whitefield employees.

Yes - if bbmp would really have done its job, bangalore would have been heavenly now. The issue not at all about money. It's about corruption.
Old 13th January 2016, 19:07   #10594
Distinguished - BHPian

A new thing these cabbies especially TTs are doing is cutting your vehicle in turns these days. I experienced this twice. Either had different motives. Yesterday at Chinnappanahalli gate, there was a polo ahead of me and an Indica who cut the lane and came to the left of me and overtook me. He then went beside the polo, acted as a barrier for the opposite traffic coming from the Spice garden side of the gate and let this polo guy and me pass before he started moving. Not sure if he thought that personal cars will not be able to jut in between and make way

In contrast, I find these TT guys trying to cut every turn we make. I took a left into EPIP zone and was going to take right after KTPO grounds. This TT comes to my left and tries to overtake me into the turn. This can catch you by surprise and we might go and bang into them. Since I am used to the same habit everyday, I make sure that I take the most Ideal right turn by sticking to the lane and maintaining a constant radius of turn. If we oversteer a bit, they will come to our lane and zip away.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-untitled.jpg

The top map shows how the turn should go. The bottom shows how they try to do it. Hence, do be careful with these idiots. Dont turn into the curve early or they will occupy that space and either brush you if you resist, or you might crash into the divider for no fault of yours.
Old 13th January 2016, 19:21   #10595
BHPian

Jam Alert - At around 530 pm today - traffic towards KR Puram was piled on the Mahadevpura Flyover.
The interior roads were also choc - a - bloc with TTs and Cabs

Is this due to the Pre- Sankrati folks boarding various trains at KR Puram ?

raghu
Old 13th January 2016, 19:29   #10596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
Jam Alert - At around 530 pm today - traffic towards KR Puram was piled on the Mahadevpura Flyover.
The interior roads were also choc - a - bloc with TTs and Cabs

Is this due to the Pre- Sankrati folks boarding various trains at KR Puram ?

raghu
I heard it was quite bad. 2 hours is what it took from GRTP which is opposite the Container Depot gate on Whitefield road, to Banasawadi road for a friend who left office post 4p.

Is Mahadevpura Flyover the one before the ORR joins Whitefield main road?

Last edited by tharian : 13th January 2016 at 19:31.
Old 13th January 2016, 19:40   #10597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I heard it was quite bad. 2 hours is what it took from GRTP which is opposite the Container Depot gate on Whitefield road, to Banasawadi road for a friend who left office post 4p.

Is Mahadevpura Flyover the one before the ORR joins Whitefield main road?
Yes, the one where you can see the More Megastore on the right and NCC apartments on the left, basically , the first flyover after the Samsung Signal, while going towards KR Puram from Marathahalli
Old 13th January 2016, 19:40   #10598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I stay behind embasy tech park. My wife currently works at Ecospace at her clients office. The commute distance from home to Ecospace is about 3 Kms. The return should be about 4 Km considering the U turn at Bellandur.

The commute time to her office ranges from 10 to 15 minutes. The time taken for her to reach home back is a whopping 1 hour 30 minutes.
I think the best would be for her to use public transport as the distance is quite near. Reduces time, gives peace of mind and increases savings!

On a side note, I am seeing lot of Bangalore roads (atleast in southern part) being tarred. Not sure how this is happening all of a sudden but it sure is good. I do hope that the madiwala market stretch and the flyover gets fixed soon.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 11:13   #10599
Senior - BHPian

The traffic at Marathahalli Bridge last night was dreadful.

Vehicles coming from everywhere to everywhere. There was a huge jam on Marathahalli with traffic going towards Old Airport Road.

We were standstill for around 20 minutes. Giving us company was an unfortunate Ambulance that was stuck and wailing.

Breaking that median was the single worst thing BTP has done. Not manning that junction just aggravates the entire issue.

And the people who try to sneakily try to go towards Kundalahalli by driving against oncoming traffic to avoid taking the U-Turn at Brand Factory?

Old 14th January 2016, 13:53   #10600

I travel the Marathahalli bridge very often and I find opening up of the median as the single most blunder that BBMP has done. It makes no sense at all.

I hope people on the fourm use the site/app called - IChangeMyCity - for reporting civic issues. I have complained about the Marathahalli bridge situation and I got a call saying that the decision to open the median was taken at very high level in the BTP side and hence they can do nothing on it.

My complaint and similar complaints on IChangeMyCity:
http://www.ichangemycity.com/bangalo...hahalli-bridge
http://www.ichangemycity.com/bangalo...ion-a-mess-now
http://www.ichangemycity.com/bangalo...d-traffic-jams
Old 14th January 2016, 14:40   #10601
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnimidhun View Post
.......the decision to open the median was taken at very high level in the BTP side.......
This is what happens when people in air-conditioned offices decide what's best for the road. This high-up BTP moron should be made to stand at this junction for a few days at peak hours to experience his/her decision.

Actually, it's about time we made ALL our decision-makers experience their own decisions. Will probably knock some sense into their hare-brained skulls.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 17:07   #10602
BHPian

Traffic alert: Silkboard signal is already jammed upto Mantri Sarovar. No breakdowns just lots of vehicles.

Slightly OT.
Yes bank doing an eyewash of CSR activity when I was at silkboard signal coming to HSR.

They are just posing for photos which they'll publish in paper.
The photographer was standing in way even when signal got green!
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1452771309274.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1452771418084.jpg  

Old 14th January 2016, 18:06   #10603
Senior - BHPian

The road towards mahadevpura coming from phoenix mall has been dug up , with one large crater still open. Traffic police is stationed but expect a painful journey. It took me close to 20 mins, atleast, from ABB to mahadevpura.
Old 14th January 2016, 18:57   #10604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Most of the time is spent in getting the car our from parking till the Ecospace exit!

The best thing to do in eco space if you commute during the peak hours is to take public transport. You get out in less than 10 minutes even from the buildings at the back.
Old 14th January 2016, 19:26   #10605
Distinguished - BHPian

What is this TenderSURE and why are they hell-bent on digging moats all across CBD? Its not even that they complete the work quickly, the Residency road all the way from St.Marks Road entrance till the signal has lost close to 60% of the road area either because of the diggings or the endless parked vehicles who've come there to pick up the students of Cottons. Earlier it was St.Marks, now Residency Road & parts of Millers Road/Infantry Road. All these roads have been left dug up for months now and the minute I get on off the Double Road flyover its a gridlock.

Whoever thought up this TenderSURE must be given a good hiding in the middle of such roads. This was meant to ensure wider, safer sidewalks.. no one ever told me it was also to destroy all the roads in possibly the most upmarket part of Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks