Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2016, 14:55   #10786
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
A Chief Minister by virtue of his designation gets some privileges (whether we like it or not). Getting preference in traffic is one such privilege. The police also is a "necessary evil", and no point in wishing for some revolution to come in which would just remove this force
That's true. But those holding such posts should be considerate enough to minimise the effect of their movement on the aggrieved common public. There have been instances when ministers have taken rounds of the city in peak hours, in the name of 'taking stock of the traffic situation'.

Quote:
If these three people had gone away, at least two-three police men would be suspended and reported for enquiries. It is their job, their salary which is at stake
Exactly. I'd rather wait patiently and then rant about it later, than be the reason for an overworked policeman getting suspended or worse, dismissed from service. Forethought and consideration would go a long way in helping things. Anywhere.
Old 8th February 2016, 06:53   #10787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Just saw a tweet from Dr. Saleem regarding temporarily making Madiwala, Hosur and Sarjapur road 2-way to facilitate road work.
Last night I drove from my parents house in Malleswaram to Bommanahalli. I went via the infamous Madiwala Market Road. It is one way as usual. May be things can change this morning.
Old 8th February 2016, 07:45   #10788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Last night I drove from my parents house in Malleswaram to Bommanahalli. I went via the infamous Madiwala Market Road. It is one way as usual. May be things can change this morning.
This morning, only a while back things were exactly as before between St John's > Koramangala Water Tank > Krupanidhi College > Madiwala Market. Chaotic at 0645am .

Also, it didn't look like the changes might happen today as there was no heavy presence of the cops (I assume they should be there even before Company Buses to EC pass this area) and the Total Mall - St John's Stretch also looked one way which was status quo.
Old 8th February 2016, 09:08   #10789
Distinguished - BHPian

Noticed that the ORR from Marathahalli towards kr puram and vice versa has got lane markings. I took the U turn to go towards ITPL so not sure how far it extends. Don't recall it being there until at least 3-4 days back. Although irrelevant to a majority of drivers, good to see it.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 09:09   #10790
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
Major jam at around 9:45pm from just after Brigade Metropolis till the left turn to Mahadevapura main road just before the HP office. The road has been closed and all vehicles are turning left into the mahadevapura main road. Looks like the road is finally being relaid clap clap
This morning, took me just 28 minutes to reach my workplace Not sure if traffic was less on a Monday morning or the newly asphalted stretches contributed to easy flow of traffic!

In the KR Puram-Whitefield direction, the small stretch from ABB towards Hoodi has been asphalted so no dust storms in this section now. The right side lanes on the other side of the median have not yet been done (this is a 4 lane one way).

I usually encounter slow/stopped traffic from Mahadevapura HP office/Phoenix market city but it wasn't the case today. First stop was at Hoodi signal and then slow/stopped traffic was near Tata Elxsi due to the vehicles going in and coming out of Prestige Shanthiniketan gates and the Big Bazaar signal backlog, but even here did not take more than 2-3 minutes.

In the Whitefield-KR Puram direction, I noticed that the ABB-Decathlon stretch has been asphalted, probably done even upto the HP office in Mahadevapura, I did not notice it though.

Last edited by NPV : 8th February 2016 at 09:11.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 09:27   #10791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This morning, took me just 28 minutes to reach my workplace Not sure if traffic was less on a Monday morning or the newly asphalted stretches contributed to easy flow of traffic!
=====
In the Whitefield-KR Puram direction, I noticed that the ABB-Decathlon stretch has been asphalted, probably done even upto the HP office in Mahadevapura, I did not notice it though.
The entire stretch from ABB junction to HPE office has been relaid. Going to office was a breeze today Yes the 4 lane stretch is yet to be asphalted. ABB - Hoodi been relaid is great news for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Noticed that the ORR from Marathahalli towards kr puram and vice versa has got lane markings. I took the U turn to go towards ITPL so not sure how far it extends. Don't recall it being there until at least 3-4 days back. Although irrelevant to a majority of drivers, good to see it.
Yes I also observed this. It is looking good. I fail to understand why this has not been done on the newly laid Whitefield road. I do not understand why these things have no importance in India. However, below the flyover the underpass to KR puram has been opened and the intersection is a total mess on weekends when the signal is not functional.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th February 2016 at 18:56. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
rohanak1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 09:31   #10792
BHPian

Took 30 minutes to cover the Nallaruhalli village via Nallaruhalli road.
The root cause is interesting. A shop was being constructed on the road side inside the village. Someone decided today that the waste from the construction is blocking the drainage and cleaned it. The waste was dumped right next to the drain, but took a 2X4 feet space from the driveable road.
8 Sqft of precious road was taken causing a km long pile up on nallaruhalli road and borewell road
Old 8th February 2016, 09:35   #10793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I also observed this. It is looking good. I fail to understand why this has not been done on the newly laid Whitefield road. I do not understand why these things have no importance in India.
Well, the ORR, if I remember right, was relaid ~2 years back and has started getting lane markings now. So it may be too optimistic to expect the lane markings on Whitefield road anytime soon.
Old 8th February 2016, 09:49   #10794
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, below the flyover the underpass to KR puram has been opened and the intersection is a total mess on weekends when the signal is not functional.
The cops tried something slightly innovative but haven't firmed up their plans yet so it's still a small problem when cops aren't around.

They blocked the large break in the median below the flyover (entire old junction) and opened up another portion essentially making the median an island around the Railway underpass entry & ORR (below flyover) so that traffic on either side cannot cross over by going right across, instead what happens is that traffic from ORR will make a right turn onto ITPL Road and then go straight or turn left into the railway underpass. Traffic exiting the underpass will turn left and then make a U turn and turn left onto ORR - this portion was again blocked with a barricade today so this traffic needs to go upto the Whitefield Honda campus gate to make a U-turn, but some of the daredevil 2 wheelers still use the small gap where the barricade is there to make the turn! So at this place the underpass traffic cuts across the lanes for the U-turn causing slowness for traffic going straight towards ITPL.
This plan needs to be firmed up to ease traffic.
Old 8th February 2016, 10:00   #10795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The markings start from JP Morgan (Kadubeesanahalli) all the way you have seen (both lanes).
There are no markings though whatsoever from Agara till JP Morgan.
Old 8th February 2016, 18:49   #10796
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This evening started much later than usual time and still took me just 35 minutes for the drive back home. I definitely think this is due to the improved roads on ABB-whitefield Honda stretch.
In 10 minutes I reached from Big Bazaar signal to HP office, this is usually the time to reach ABB junction via the ATM junction! After the Indian oil bunk traffic came to standstill and it was the backlog from the signal near Whitefield Honda as it was being operated manually. From here the drive home took another 25 minutes
Just goes to prove what impact bad roads have on traffic congestion. The ABB-brigade metropolis-decathlon stretch had amazingly smooth flowing traffic.
Old 8th February 2016, 19:21   #10797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I definitely think this is due to the improved roads on ABB-whitefield Honda stretch.
Absolutely. Was a pleasant surprise for me as well. If there is one section I dread, it is the one way Graphite India main road to ABB T junction and all the way up to Decathalon. That left turn at ABB was really bad. No jam at all right up to HP. Then the usual bumper to bumper all the way till under the KR Puram bridge. This time around, post this point till tin factory was a free run. A slightly faster run today at fifty minutes.

What I did notice was the road around that ATM junction, where you take the U Turn on approach from Hoodi, has seen some work. It looked like it was dug up over the weekend. This will be the last stretch of road to patch up or relay.
Old 9th February 2016, 07:44   #10798
Distinguished - BHPian

It was Business as usual again between St. Johns and Madiwala with traffic plying the way it has been since almost (or more) an year now.

Passing Krupanidihi to Total Mall via Madiwala even at 0645 takes more than 8 to 10 minutes for a mere 0.7 Km stretch. It is so appalling to learn the fact that while we continue to rant about this horrible situation that has been this way since a decade, the Vegetable sellers continue to have their usual day. After all, it is not their fault that they have been part of this Market since ages. And if the stale news is anything but true, the same vendors denied moving to the now Total Mall when they were given an option to shift few years back.

What surprises is the fact that this section of the road is an entry point to Hosur Road that leads to Electronics City which houses some of the Big Tech companies which were influential for the Elevated Expressway to become a reality. Sadly since Madiwala Market Jam only consumes anything from 10-120 minutes on a normal day, it continues to get ignored even today.

I won't be surprised that even after the authorities concretize both the carriageways, commuters will still bear the brunt as those carts, Mini LCVs, Private cars will remain parked all over the road on both sides and continue to do their shopping while we shall rant and continue to see the same Police Constable walking through he length of the road and take Photos of these vehicles parked illegally.

Needless to say, the number of pages on this thread will witness typical growth too !

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th February 2016 at 07:48.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 08:37   #10799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I won't be surprised that even after the authorities concretize both the carriageways, commuters will still bear the brunt as those carts, Mini LCVs, Private cars will remain parked all over the road on both sides and continue to do their shopping while we shall rant and continue to see the same Police Constable walking through he length of the road and take Photos of these vehicles parked illegally.
No one respects the cops in Bangalore. That is the harsh reality. Consider the bommanahalli junction. Even during peak hours, people conveniently come in the wrong direction from Mangamanapalya side to enter Begur road. This happens right under the nose of the traffic cops.
Old 9th February 2016, 08:51   #10800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Needless to say, the number of pages on this thread will witness typical growth too !
Keeping the trend, didn't any smart brain tell them that they can build a flyover all the way from St. Johns till Silkboard flyover ?
Keep this as a shhhhhhh......ok...

Most Viewed