Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2016, 14:23   #10861
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Flight time from Delhi to Bangalore - 2 hrs and 30 mins. Reached at 9 AM in Bangalore. Cab time from Airport to Koramangala - 2 hrs and 30 mins. Reached at 11:45. Bleh. It took me the same time as the flight time. Aaaargh!
Same thing that happened to me - I had to pick up my sister coming from Delhi. She called me when she boarded the flight at Delhi, saying that they are about to taxi to the runway. I start to KIAL from my home at Singasandra after disconnecting the call. I reach the airport to find my sister at the waiting area outside the airport.

Last edited by ajmat : 16th February 2016 at 16:52.
Horizon81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 15:08   #10862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Something that happened to me - I had to pick up my sister coming from Delhi. She called me when she boarded the flight at Delhi, saying that they are about to taxi to the runway. I start to KIAL from my home at Singasandra after disconnecting the call. I reach the airport to find my sister at the waiting area outside the airport.

I too had a similar funny incident in 2008. My friend boards a flight from Singapore and i start to HAL AIRPORT at the sametime from BTM. I reach HAL airport road and its jammed, somehow reach till airport, take the right turn towards arrival. Again its jammed and by the time i reach near the terminal to park, my friend is outside waiting with luggage. Imagine he reached blore, cleared customs, took his baggage and reached outside and i was still yet to park my car at the airport.
Old 16th February 2016, 15:17   #10863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Just for comparison sake. There is a local train that runs from Kolar to Byapanahalli via Devanahalli. It takes 1 hr and 10 minutes.
However, it reaches Baiyappanahalli at 530 pm
I suppose Devanahalli does not come in the picture between Kolar and Baiyappanahalli. Or does the train leave to Devanahalli from Bangalore city station??
Old 16th February 2016, 15:31   #10864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Something that happened to me - I had to pick up my sister coming from Delhi. She called me when she boarded the flight at Delhi, saying that they are about to taxi to the runway. I start to KIAL from my home at Singasandra after disconnecting the call. I reach the airport to find my sister at the waiting area outside the airport.
This happens regularly with us - my folks catch the late evening flight from BOM to BLR, and we start from near your place at around the same time. I haven't had to pay parking charges at KIAL parking for a long time - the routine is to stop the car at the pick-up area, load the bags and my folks get in, off we go. However, the return has trip has been a hit or miss affair - we've got stuck at the KIAL exit road for a good one hour in one instance, and on another day, at the toll booth for half an hour - all these after midnight.

Just like Hosur road, the Hebbal-Devanahalli stretch is another killer stretch for those red and white KaSRTC Saarige buses - imbeciles cut across lanes without any sort of indication, care two hoots for smaller vehicles in their vicinity, and most of them don't have working tail lamps. On the latter stretch, the APSRTC/TSRTC Deluxe/Semi-deluxe buses give tough competition to their KaSRTC brethren in all these art forms.
Old 16th February 2016, 15:32   #10865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I suppose Devanahalli does not come in the picture between Kolar and Baiyappanahalli. Or does the train leave to Devanahalli from Bangalore city station??
Kolar- Chintamani-Chikkaballapur-Nandi Halt-Devanahalli-Yelahanka-Channasandra-Baiyappanahalli- Cantonment- City is the route for this train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Should have been clear in my initial post.

There are two routes by train from Kolar to Bangalore. The local I was referring to runs the longer route which is around 160 kms and takes more than 4 hours for the full journey.
Between Devanahalli and Baiyappanahalli, it takes little more than an hour.

If they have a connecting bus between the airport and Devanahalli station and run more local trains from there to Baiyappanahalli and then further on to city, it will help air passengers. Baiyappanahalli also has the Metro station.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th February 2016 at 20:17. Reason: Posts merged on request.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 20:06   #10866
Distinguished - BHPian

Going by the speed of constructing Namma Metro's fabled 'Airport Line', Indian Railways and the state government should resurrect the age-old plan to allow suburban trains to KIAL from Yelahanka, City and KR Puram. See the GMap link: https://goo.gl/maps/LVnwKKya4J92

The existing railway line route was designed and built to pass just next to the trumpet flyover and a small station can very well be put up there at minimal cost. Subsequently, like at IGIA DIAL, airport buses can transfer passengers to the airport terminals. A few custom-designed AC rakes (wide doors, luggage racks etc.) can be used and we are done!

Unfortunately, our netas only want the 'best' for BLR, i.e. a 'high speed' rail which will maybe be completed as I am being cremated 40 years from now :-(
Old 16th February 2016, 20:28   #10867
BHPian

In fact, we already have the railway lines from Devanahalli to Yelahanka-Yeshwanthpur-Bangalore City-Kengeri-Bidadi. On the other side, we have from Devanahalli to Yelahanka-KR Puram-Whitefield. From Whitefield, two routes. One towards Anekal-Hosur and the other from Whitefield to Kolar. If the Railways can support the Govt, then travel times can be reduced on the bottlenecks at the city entrance on all sides. Hope someone is listening.
MSMILES is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 20:59   #10868
Distinguished - BHPian

Sir, all done except our Netas are not interested. Who wants to help the mango people when they are ferried in speeding Fortuners directly to the VIP terminal and back?

See link: http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...rain-halt.html

SWR (for once) was very keen to service KIAL - it was the GoK who was least interested!
Old 17th February 2016, 06:49   #10869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

SWR (for once) was very keen to service KIAL - it was the GoK who was least interested!
It is actually the lobby of the state govt to run more volvo buses, thereby minting money in the process rather than work together with SWR for the suburban rail connection.
Here it is more of commercialization rather than public service.
Old 17th February 2016, 08:53   #10870
Distinguished - BHPian

Something wrong on ORR towards marathahalli side from belandur. Been crawling for the last 15 min from the kadubeesanahalli underpass and just reached more hypermarket and seems blocked as far as I can see towards marathahalli.
Old 17th February 2016, 08:59   #10871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Something wrong on ORR towards marathahalli side from belandur. Been crawling for the last 15 min from the kadubeesanahalli underpass and just reached more hypermarket and seems blocked as far as I can see towards marathahalli.

I took ORR and saw more traffic today from Marathalli junction till prestige tech park. Not sure of the reason.
Old 17th February 2016, 08:59   #10872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Just when I thought of going to office late.

Any updates by others? I will be leaving home in 30 mins and if this is the case I will have to go via KR Pura.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 09:26   #10873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Just when I thought of going to office late.

Any updates by others? I will be leaving home in 30 mins and if this is the case I will have to go via KR Pura.
It seemed blocked all the way at least till the ISRO U Turn at 9.10am. I was in a Volvo headed towards ITPL, hence just hopped off at Marathahalli after spending close to 30 min to get to there from Kadubeesanahalli, walked up the bridge and took another bus and was in office in 10 min.

In situations like this, I see the benefit of using public transport.

Note: The 'Thanks' to the previous post was a mis-click, in case you are wondering.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 17th February 2016 at 09:28.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 09:35   #10874
BHPian

I think the traffic jam near Marathahalli is due to a broken down BMTC bus near the bus stop. The service road is also dug up near the marathahalli bust stop and vehicles from the service road are made to join the main carriageway near the bustop which is adding to the jam.

When I crossed this around 8am, I was held up from the innovative multiplex stop.
Old 17th February 2016, 09:37   #10875
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks absolutely bad as of now:
Name:  Jam.png
Views: 966
Size:  217.3 KB

Most Viewed