BHPian

Marathahalli is still blocked. No signs of abating anytime soon

Good luck to all fellow travellers.
Old 17th February 2016, 11:06   #10877
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
SWR (for once) was very keen to service KIAL - it was the GoK who was least interested!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
It is actually the lobby of the state govt to run more volvo buses...
Here it is more of commercialization rather than public service.
There were reports that the toll booth located before the Trumpet flyover was supposed to be located after that, but the powers that be ensured that they could fleece money out of everyone headed to/from the airport, in addition to the UDF that's charged in every air ticket. Also, the protests against hiking of the toll were silenced within no time. The alternate approach roads that the district administration had planned to develop were conveniently left leading to a closed gate/compound wall of the airport. Speaks a lot about the priorities.

Earlier, there were talks about building a high-speed rail corridor between the city centre and the airport, that seems to have been shelved - at a time when most developed nations try to improve rail connectivity and we have "Make in India" hyped to extreme levels, considering railway coaches and ancillaries being rolled out.

Last edited by silversteed : 17th February 2016 at 11:07.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 12:57   #10878
Senior - BHPian

News like this chills me to the very bone.

1) Man cut in half by a truck carrying sacks of sugar
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c.../51017593.cms?

2) Man dies after a BMTC vs KSRTC race ends up in the BMTC bus jumping the divider and crashing into oncoming traffic.
http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...17022016003010

The consequences are dreadful in both cases. :(
Old 17th February 2016, 14:33   #10879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
News like this chills me to the very bone.

1) Man cut in half by a truck carrying sacks of sugar
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c.../51017593.cms?

The consequences are dreadful in both cases. :(
I am really sad to read the news, but proud that the Hero Harish wanted to donate his organs in spite of his plight. I will light a candle for him and I've pledged to donate my organs when i am gone. Truly inspiring.

And i also hope that the road and safety issues are one of the key focus areas for our law makers, citizens than Investors conference and other misplaced priorities.
sunishsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 15:17   #10880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
And i also hope that the road and safety issues are one of the key focus areas for our law makers, citizens than Investors conference and other misplaced priorities.
Precisely my view.

There are too many people dying on the roads thanks to sheer recklessness on our roads.

These trucks are driven haphazardly and barely have functional equipment. Unless the police really start aggressive drives against erring drivers of HTVs, I see no light at the end of the long tunnel.

Just this morning, an ambulance was crossing near Cathedral High School when it was red. A bus was tailgating the ambulance along with other morons who look to take advantage of a person who is in dire straits.

Pathetic is very light word to describe such imbeciles.

ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 20:42   #10881
Distinguished - BHPian

Today near Hoodi, on the way to KR Pura, I saw a Fluidic Verna driven into a dug up road, which is the second right turn after Zuri hotel. Either the driver did not notice the trench, or he was in a hurry to zip past oncoming traffic, the car had landed into the trench so badly that its rear wheels were in air. The front I believe is smashed since the trench was deep enough to swallow the car till the bonnet.

Speaking of this, this trench is an example of how local administration is playing with the traffic. If my memory is correct this road was dug up two months back, and space has been left for two wheelers only. Such sadists people are. The road is anyways too small to limit traffic.

These so called Techno schools have such horrible drivers, they teach children to break every rule possible. In fact all school buses are no better, but from what I see, they are the worst. Driving in the wrong side right in front of the school, and blocking the whole road for other buses to pass in the wrong side, what not.

That said, after the morning disaster on ORR, evening was free of jams. Even Ecospace hold was pretty light and I passed through quickly even though there was a broken down car before ES and a minor accident after ES.
Old 18th February 2016, 12:03   #10882
Senior - BHPian

Here are some more details about how exactly the accident near Thippagondanahalli occurred.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/51031304.cms

In a ToI article, they had this to say:
Quote:
He cared about his mother and his Bajaj Pulsar -his mother worried he would speed on his bike, and often cautioned him.
http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...18022016023038
Old 18th February 2016, 14:29   #10883
Senior - BHPian

A well repaired road in AECS Layout

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-.facebook_1455785564322.jpg

Source: Whitefield Rising group on FB.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 14:50   #10884
Senior - BHPian

Today morning was a nightmare to drive to office. I had a training at 8 30 in the morning. Started at 7 15 from home as I knew traffic can be a mess. But little did I know that even that was late. I stay near Lalbagh and take the following route to my office in EC. Lalbagh westgate->Ashoka Pillar->Wilson garden->Nimhans->Christ College->Forum->Madiwala->Hosur road->BETL->EC.

I encountered slow moving traffic from christ college all the way to st johns signal. But the fun(or rather pain) started there. After crossing the madiwala underpass I was stuck in traffic for 15 mins before I could cross total mall. And then I saw a traffic jam on top of madiwala flyover starting from police station. Unfortunately got caught and by the time I could reach start of BETL flyover it was already 8 50. I had to miss the training because of this.

Anybody knows why there was so much traffic around that area at that time? My colleagues who took that route around 9 30 /10 told me that there was no traffic.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 18th February 2016 at 15:11.
Old 18th February 2016, 15:20   #10885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Anybody knows why there was so much traffic around that area at that time? My colleagues who took that route around 9 30 /10 told me that there was no traffic.
There's a saying A SMALL HOLE CAN SINK A GREAT SHIP. Likewise in Bangalore even a 2 wheeler is capable of creating mayhem on Bangalore roads. Vehicle breakdown, haphazard parking of buses, rash driving are some of the factors that come to my mind as far as traffic chaos in Bangalore is concerned.
Totally unpredictable traffic.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 15:38   #10886
BHPian

Imagine this : Two bikers, around 50 mts apart, riding at 30kmph on the Silk Board flyover, in the right lane.

Another imbecile tries to cut across the temporary barriers put on Hosur Rd between Madivala and St John's Hospital, gets entangled within the ropes that are tied between the barriers, brings a barrier down on the road and looks around like a complete clown!

Is anyone renting out a Payloader/Bull Dozer?

I have been a big supporter of Darwinism and I am still waiting for Nature to make it's move.

** Rant ends.
Old 18th February 2016, 16:20   #10887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Imagine this : Two bikers, around 50 mts apart, riding at 30kmph on the Silk Board flyover, in the right lane.
I remember, couple of years back on BTP facebook page they posted a message that two wheelers must be on left side of the road, unless they want to take a right turn (not sure this is a rule or guideline).

There are number of illegal U-Turns created for two wheelers in between Marathahalli - Bellandur ORR section. It's a matter of time before something bad happens in these illegal U-Turns. Another strange thing I find on Bangalore roads is that many bicycle riders are using the right lane near the median and right lane is supposed to be for high speed vehicles.
Old 18th February 2016, 16:48   #10888
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Today morning was a nightmare to drive to office. I had a training at 8 30 in the morning. Started at 7 15 from home as I knew traffic can be a mess. But little did I know that even that was late. I stay near Lalbagh and take the following route to my office in EC. Lalbagh westgate->Ashoka Pillar->Wilson garden->Nimhans->Christ College->Forum->Madiwala->Hosur road->BETL->EC.
At 0700, I got stuck right on top of silkboard Flyover and it took me an easy 25 minutes just before I climbed BETL .

This is exactly when I realised - When its a good time to leave to work!!!

I was shocked when I noticed on Googlemaps that the Jam was exactly ending right below BETL at Bommanahalli Signal confirming the fact that this was probably due to very short signal timing or a deadlock for a longer period due to non-functional signals. This was the second time in this month alone that I faced this jam!

Rest of my colleagues who took office Bus to reach work actually were in the office almost an hour late owing to this jam.
Old 18th February 2016, 17:18   #10889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Vehicle breakdown, haphazard parking of buses, rash driving are some of the factors that come to my mind as far as traffic chaos in Bangalore is concerned.
Totally unpredictable traffic.
Add people driving in wrong direction and jumping signals. Most of the times when you try to check the source of the jam, would be surprised to see one of the above mentioned thing causing it. Alas if just each of us had a little patience and a good driving habit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
At 0700, I got stuck right on top of silkboard Flyover and it took me an easy 25 minutes just before I climbed BETL .

This is exactly when I realised - When its a good time to leave to work!!!

I was shocked when I noticed on Googlemaps that the Jam was exactly ending right below BETL at Bommanahalli Signal confirming the fact that this was probably due to very short signal timing or a deadlock for a longer period due to non-functional signals. This was the second time in this month alone that I faced this jam!

Rest of my colleagues who took office Bus to reach work actually were in the office almost an hour late owing to this jam.
Aah so it was from early morning itself. I was thinking it may have been because of morning office buses. I think no time is the right time to drive in Bangalore. Earlier during 2010 or so I used to notice traffic reduce after 10 pm. These days I do not see any abate in traffic even at 11 or 12.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 17:26   #10890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

A well repaired road in AECS Layout

Attachment 1477643

Source: Whitefield Rising group on FB.
Looking at the amount of patchwork done, it is sheer common sense that laying a new road would have been the ideal solution. Come on BBMP, you have patched up close to 80% of the road.
DONT YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PATCH WORK AND RELAYING A ROAD???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks