Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2016, 08:58   #10906
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

A MAJOR TRAFFIC ALERT:

Saw a TATA pick up broken down just after Mantri Sarovar. That was on the rightmost lane

Also saw a broken down truck just before the start of the downward ramp of the Kadubeesanahalli underpass

So users WATCHOUT!!
The broken truck at the Kadubeesanahalli underpass has been there from last week. Not sure why it is not towed away!
rajakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 09:56   #10907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
The broken truck at the Kadubeesanahalli underpass has been there from last week. Not sure why it is not towed away!
Maybe it's carrying Thor's hammer

There was a TT broken down opposite to Shell Bellandur on the lane towards Marathahalli. Somebody posted in Waze about another vehicle breakdown on the Silkboard bound lane, but I think that was towed away - saw a tow-truck pulling away some car.
Old 22nd February 2016, 09:59   #10908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post

Yea its been there for a week or more on the left most lane towards Marathalli. Last week i saw the engine block was removed and kept in front of it. I guess it ll be there for quite a while before its up and running.
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:36   #10909
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks like cabbies are now driving more and more sedately, especially the Veritos and Etios guys(except for the indica company cabs. Looks like word of mouth is spreading among them that it returns better mileage.

Now someone please spread a rumour among these drivers that staying in the right lane Or changing lanes continuously will lead to excessive tyre wear Then the traffic situation will improve by a great margin!
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:28   #10910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
It looks like cabbies are now driving more and more sedately, especially the Veritos and Etios guys(except for the indica company cabs. Looks like word of mouth is spreading among them that it returns better mileage.
The other factor could be they would have become tired of carrying out such acrobatics like cutting across lanes, rear ending another vehicle, getting into arguments/fights etc every day.
Just like all good things must come to an end, likewise all bad things have to come to an end.
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:30   #10911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Saw a TATA pick up broken down just after Mantri Sarovar. That was on the rightmost lane
This was still at the same spot when I crossed the same at around noon today.
A couple of guys were lying underneath and working on the rear axle. Hope it is moved before the evening.
Even at noon, this was causing a traffic jam that extended till the agara flyover.

Quote:
Also saw a broken down truck just before the start of the downward ramp of the Kadubeesanahalli underpass
As mentioned by others earlier, I have been seeing this truck stuck there with a barricade placed just before it for the whole of last week.
I am not sure why it has been abandoned there.

Also, after BTP has closed all the gaps in the medians in between marathalli and bellandur, I have had a few close calls with bikers who suddenly stop on the fast lane and try to climb up on over the median to get to the other side. Most of the times, they are perpendicular to the fast lane where the traffic usually moves at a healthy pace nowadays and they seem to think that everyone should stop for them and give them the right of way for their little circus act which sometimes involves the pillion help them push the bike over.
They get very very abusive if you honk at them or try to question their actions.

Last edited by SR71-Blackbird : 22nd February 2016 at 13:43.
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:45   #10912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
Also, after BTP has closed all the gaps in the medians in between marathalli and bellandur, I have had a few close calls with bikers who suddenly stop on the fast lane and try to climb up on over the median to get to the other side. Most of the times, they are perpendicular to the fast lane where the traffic usually moves at a healthy pace nowadays and they seem to think that everyone should stop for them and give them the right of way for their little circus act which sometimes involves the pillion help them push the bike over.
They get very very abusive if you honk at them or try to question their actions.
Here is a photograph of the issue SR71-Blackbird mentioned. Everyday I find few bikers doing this stunt.

One thing I don't understand, if these riders are so much conscious about value of time (minutes to seconds) from their childhood, they should not have been on a two wheeler at all, instead they should have been on a high end chauffeur driven vehicle / helicopter / private plane
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20160222_100006741.jpg  

Last edited by airbus : 22nd February 2016 at 16:04.
airbus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:12   #10913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Here is a photograph of the issue SR71-Blackbird mentioned. Everyday I find few bikers doing this stunt.
Kudos to you for clicking this picture!

I travel on the wretched ORR and Bellandur junction by far is the worst in Blore! I always drive on the right side of the road and have myself experienced bikers stopping all of a sudden and perform this stupid stunt! I've had a couple of near misses as well!!!. It is clearly a nuisance.
Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 20:21   #10914
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

On my way home from work this evening I noticed that one of the concrete medians below the pedestrian bridge on old madras road near the Gopalan Royal / upcoming Salarpuria campus has been removed. This was used to provide a separate section for the buses stopping at tin factory bus stop. I think this helped decongest the place since the usual chaos wasn't there with vehicles trying to merge right for the outer ring road ramp.
Old 23rd February 2016, 01:17   #10915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
FEW? You're lucky, I've observed that almost every crossing that I pass where there is a small gap/broken divider/large opening, there are either cars varying from the smallest Marutis to the largest Tata/Toyota cabs waiting to pounce horizontally on me, or the usual plethora of bikes waiting to do just the same. Mind you they get their front wheels across just enough and stop to make me sweat and mind that half an inch gap that they've spared for me to pass through. A few testy ones will also close in further exactly at the time when my car is passing halfway through and close the gap to a quarter of an inch forcing me to move away left or right AFTER simultaneously checking the passenger side of the mirror to see if I may inconvenience any vehicle who might be closing in on me to complete the sandwich.

Well those are the days of yore. Now I've developed an incredibly defensive style of driving, much more so than before that I assume every few meters to have a trap laid out perfectly for me. I'm on high alert all the time and expect vehicles/jaywalkers to fly out of nowhere & stop at any point of time. I've consciously increased my spatial vision to scan for any nook & crannies, gullys and anxiously waiting pedestrians at crossings. One might think I'm overthinking the process of driving and being paranoid, and I'm glad for that.. I've done it long enough for it to have become a part of driving itself and I cant mention the number of situations I've successfully judged as near-misses and smoothly negotiated by stopping well in time or flashing the lights/honk to announce my presence. My single assumption about myself in the type of traffic today in Bangalore is that I'm the greatest pushover driver in the city, its an assumption that has kept me cool at all times because ego is the last thing I want interrupting my peace of mind. Let the kings rule the roads, I'm but a humble peasant.

Last edited by dark.knight : 23rd February 2016 at 01:20.
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:24   #10916
Distinguished - BHPian

Had an ugly 'non-incident' with a Indica cabbie yesterday morning near Windsor Manor. Twit was driving rashly for quite some time and came very close to rear-ending me. I politely let him go by and gesticulated him to please go on.

It immediately got his goat and he started to drive slowly to entice me nearer to him. Unfortunately (for him), I drove even slower and ensured that there were at least a couple of vehicles between us plus kept a safe distance. After about 2 km near Vidhan Soudha, I deliberately stopped just next to a group of senior police inspectors (possibly due to pending VVIP movement), and he took off in complete panic at high speed :-)

Please avoid going near to this silver Indica car with number KA 44 5044 with a big 339 emblazoned on the rear screen. Guy looks and behaves like a provincial thug.

I dread such thugs at late nights on the ORR - essentially ANYTHING can happen if any civilized person falls afoul of these animals.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 10:13   #10917
JD1
BHPian

Hopefully its not just words but actions too-
Cops crack down on cabbies who park their cars in no-parking slots

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/51072928.cms
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 10:25   #10918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Hopefully its not just words but actions too-
Cops crack down on cabbies who park their cars in no-parking slots

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/51072928.cms
Last week on Wednesday at around 06:40am, I witnessed a lot of cops gesturing cabs to move away from the spot between Esteem Mall and Hebbal Flyover Ramp (Leading towards City).

This is one spot that witnesses snarls right in the wee hours are Hyderabad Buses stop here to alight passengers and Cabs and Autos are parked on shoulder and even one full lane leaving a gap good enough only for one vehicle to pass towards the City.

Also today morning around 0715am, right in front of Forum (closer to the yet to be opened Skywalk), cops were seen talking to cabbies and I assume it would be for the same reason as this too is a favorite spot when it comes to cabbies to park.
Old 23rd February 2016, 10:35   #10919
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Last week on Wednesday at around 06:40am, I witnessed a lot of cops gesturing cabs to move away from the spot between Esteem Mall and Hebbal Flyover Ramp (Leading towards City).
This past weekend, I noticed that the road is being widened in front of Esteem mall and the BBMP Hebbal Crematorium, just hope this work is done quickly, this has the potential of reducing some chaos at that junction since it will make the left lanes wider for traffic on the service lanes and also allow them to proceed straight instead of merging right with traffic coming down the flyover from the airport side. And the long pending pedestrian foot bridge at this place, together these developments can make this a better place, yes I do have hope
Old 23rd February 2016, 10:43   #10920
Senior - BHPian

So here's how open streets are proving to be a success in Bangalore :

Quote:
A carnival-like atmosphere at the traffic-free M.G. Road Open Street, on Sunday ensured that a wave of humanity descended on the 700-metre stretch, bringing along with it mounds of garbage comprising mostly plastic.
Source

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks