Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2016, 17:13   #10996
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Yesterday around 7:30pm a car had climbed up the median little ahead of gopalan school (road connecting ATM junction to Abb). This caused a bit of traffic. Looks like the driving was pretty fast since he had travelled quite some distance on the medium. The driver must be pretty rash to do something like that during such a peak hour. That median is quite invisible though may be in the dead of the night
Old 4th March 2016, 19:03   #10997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Breaking News !

Road between that GM Paradise or something, till Big Basket warehouse has been freshly laid ! Breaking images below.
Folks

Good news to all. Refer the enclosed image as to which road is being relaid afresh. Wherever I have shown blue arrow, it indicates A NEW ROAD. Yellow arrow indicates that WIP to relay a new road on that stretch

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.png
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 22:37   #10998
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a taste of the Silk Board junk-tion traffic in the morning as unfortunately the destination included this little nightmarish stretch. All I can say is WOW!!.. 25 minutes to get out of the signal i.e 200 meters, this takes the average speed on this stretch to well under half a kilometre per hour and that is officially slower than walking.

I may not understand the dynamics of traffic coming out of the BTM road into HSR but it was shocking to see the traffic personnel open up the green light for the traffic from that road for well over 7-8 minutes whereas all the traffic from the other direction heading into Silk Board gets hardly 2 minutes. I fail to see how one route is more important than the other when the other route too involves heading into the heart of the city and a 1 km long backlog to boot. Something needs to be done pronto about these 4 routes intersecting at the signal, it is literally driving people insane.

Flashback to late 2000's when I'd actually enjoy the drive to Electronic City and make the round trip back in less than 45 minutes with seamless well organized traffic, relatively obedient motorists and very thinly populated signals at most times of the day (my trips used to happen anytime of the day like 8 a.m, 3 p.m and an even later 9 p.m) they were all pleasurable to say the least. Its shocking how much has changed in 5-6 years! Today I cannot imagine heading there at any point of the day and haven't done so for over 3 years.

Usually I'd write something positive at the end of a rant like asking motorists to co-operate or expecting the government to wake up but as my saying goes, expectations are a form of warping reality which would then only lead to disappointment. I've tackled every route on occasion - Electronics City, Whitefield & the deepest ends of Sarjapur Road and they were all relaxing drives.. today its no longer the same and to see this city change this much, is a sad time.

Last edited by dark.knight : 4th March 2016 at 22:42.
Old 5th March 2016, 01:14   #10999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I may not understand the dynamics of traffic coming out of the BTM road into HSR but it was shocking to see the traffic personnel open up the green light for the traffic from that road for well over 7-8 minutes whereas all the traffic from the other direction heading into Silk Board gets hardly 2 minutes. I fail to see how one route is more important than the other when the other route too involves heading into the heart of the city and a 1 km long backlog to boot.
I'll try to explain what might be running in the head of BTP.

Exit points of BTM, JP Nagar, Jayanagar, Bannerghatta is only via Silk Board junction.
Yes, there are alternate routes, residential lanes, etc, but the arterial road is the so called 80 feet BTM Main road. I strongly believe this main road is not more than 40ft.
There is a road just 500 mts away from Silk Board junction, at AXA junction. This is called BTM Lake Road and it connects Bannerghata Road. The entire 4kms or so gets jammed at mornings and evenings.

So what happens is, if the BTM Exit at Silk Board is not given more time, a radius of 6-8 kms gets clogged.

Comparing this with the traffic coming from Hosur road side or HSR side, has more length of wide road and not much residential area.
For instance, accessing HSR Layout can be done via Silk Board, Koramangala or even via Bomanahalli. Plus the ORR on this side is very wide to accommodate traffic. So even if less priority is given on this side, the traffic jam spills not beyond 2-3 kms on ORR, compared to 5-6 kms on BTM Main Road, BTM Lake Road.

I guess these is the reasoning by BTP for giving priority to BTM outbound traffic. I hope I am making sense.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 06:48   #11000
Senior - BHPian

Folks

ROAD UPDATES:

Coming from Mangamanapalya, one cannot join the ORR as shown in the image below because of some construction work going on.

Also the stretch from Graphite India till Vydehi Hospital has been relaid new. I still see sand dunes and stones piled up on the Graphite India Main road though.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.png
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 10:19   #11001
Senior - BHPian

Today was a peaceful drive to office. I could reach my office in EC from my home near lalbagh in 40 mins. Felt like a minister travelling that route as I got signal free corridor + no traffic all the way except hosa road junction. Oh how great it would be if all the days are like today.

I know today traffic is less as it is a day off for all government offices and colleges on account of Shivarathri. So does it mean that having colleges and government offices adds up so much traffic on the roads? Is it the same towards whitefield as well?
Old 7th March 2016, 14:19   #11002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Today was a peaceful drive to office. I could reach my office in EC from my home near lalbagh in 40 mins. Felt like a minister travelling that route as I got signal free corridor + no traffic all the way except hosa road junction. Oh how great it would be if all the days are like today.

I know today traffic is less as it is a day off for all government offices and colleges on account of Shivarathri. So does it mean that having colleges and government offices adds up so much traffic on the roads? Is it the same towards whitefield as well?
Traffic was comparatively less on the ORR especially near Marathahalli and Kundalahalli on the account of Shivarathri. Most important factor: school buses off the roads today
Old 7th March 2016, 20:49   #11003
JD1
BHPian

GoK just put an update on their twitter regarding Madivala market road (with pictures) - "Concretization of one lane of Madivala Market Road is nearing completion"

https://twitter.com/GOKUpdates/statu...10937718628352
Old 7th March 2016, 23:55   #11004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I'll try to explain what might be running in the head of BTP.

So what happens is, if the BTM Exit at Silk Board is not given more time, a radius of 6-8 kms gets clogged.

I guess these is the reasoning by BTP for giving priority to BTM outbound traffic. I hope I am making sense.
IMO higher priority is fine but stop some side for 7-8 min is just crazy. What BTP doesn't seem to focus on is to keep the traffic moving. The traffic lights should cycle much more quickly and no side should remain red for more than a min. That way the there won't be any traffic build up.
Old 8th March 2016, 07:23   #11005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
What BTP doesn't seem to focus on is to keep the traffic moving. The traffic lights should cycle much more quickly and no side should remain red for more than a min. That way the there won't be any traffic build up.
Wrong, IMHO.
It takes atleast 10 seconds for vehicles to switch on engine and start moving. Another 30 seconds for opposite lane vehicles to stop jumping the red at last moment and for me / you to start clearing the junction. You lose 40 seconds just like that out of 60 seconds.

A green timer for atleast 180 seconds is good.
Less than that will hardly allow 10 vehicles to pass through.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 8th March 2016 at 07:30.
Old 8th March 2016, 10:41   #11006
Senior - BHPian

This morning at around 9.45 am, saw a car with badly damaged front right side parked near HAL Museum on Old Airport Road. Has anyone got any information? My dashcam did not capture well, as I was on right lane and other vehicle obstructed the view.

Last edited by airbus : 8th March 2016 at 10:58. Reason: Added when I saw this.
Old 8th March 2016, 10:50   #11007
Senior - BHPian

Update on Haralur Road:
There was some construction debris/mud at the narrowest portion of the narrowest stretch of the road, effectively allowing only one vehicle at a time - not even a bicycle can squeeze in between the vehicle and curb. I'd marked it yesterday morning in Waze. There was a cop regulating traffic too. Assumed it'd be cleared by evening, but I was so very wrong, that nobody moved for almost an hour at around 7 o'clock in the evening, in that stretch. As usual, the impatient ones had barged ahead, causing a gridlock. Unsurprisingly, no BTP personnel in this stretch.
Old 8th March 2016, 12:43   #11008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Update on Haralur Road:
Since you mentioned the narrowest part, I am guessing you are talking about the section just before Haralur bus stop when coming from Sarjapur road side.

Saw last weekend that even around Springfield apartment junction there was some construction going on. Was not able to make out the detail due to traffic, any idea about the same?

Haralur road widening was mentioned in BBMP - 2010 plan, however don't think it will be taken up soon considering they just did the pavement work for this road.

With a huge list of large apartment complexes coming up (including mine) on this route. It is going to be a major issue in few months.

If only there was a more direct connection between HSR 27th main to Haralur road near Little Elly/ Vibgyor school it would have eased traffic to a great extent.

Currently there is a breakage of few meters, to overcome which we have to take a circular narrow route via Sai Poorna / ND Sepal apartments.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 14:44   #11009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Since you mentioned the narrowest part, I am guessing you are talking about the section just before Haralur bus stop when coming from Sarjapur road side.
Spot On.

Quote:
Saw last weekend that even around Springfield apartment junction there was some construction going on
Seeing construction in Sarjapur Road area has become so common that I start wondering only if it's too quiet.

Quote:
Haralur road widening was mentioned in BBMP - 2010 plan, however don't think it will be taken up soon considering they just did the pavement work for this road.

With a huge list of large apartment complexes coming up (including mine) on this route. It is going to be a major issue in few months.
An acquaintance associated with a major real-estate player stated during a casual talk that they manage to get approvals for such high-rise apartment projects in hinterlands by making the local authorities come up with road-widening and allied infra development proposals that should ideally be implemented before completion of their proposed project. What really happens is there for everyone to see.

Sidenote: Fortunately, we don't see "Inauguration ceremonies" and "Stone-laying ceremonies" to add to the traffic woes, for these proposed infrastructure upgrades
silversteed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 16:49   #11010
BHPian

Jam alert: a broken truck on deverabesanahalli flyover [intel flyover on ORR]. Plan accordingly

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks