Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2016, 09:28   #11386
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

The pedestrian walkway at Ecospace on ORR ambles along at a leisurely pace. Staircase set up in progress. It looks to be a very basic design. It should be moving much faster.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20160510_085551.jpg
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 10:09   #11387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The pedestrian walkway at Ecospace on ORR ambles along at a leisurely pace. Staircase set up in progress. It looks to be a very basic design. It should be moving much faster.
In addition to this, they should fence the road from the ramp of the flyover till the next ramp. Only then people will be forced to use the skywalk. Else we will have people who are lazy to climb all the way up. But why such a long ramp I dont know.

BTW yesterday a Volvo bus decides to give up at the entrance of the second flyover towards silk board and this led to a backlog beyond Kadubisanahalli Underpass In addition to this a Hyundai Eon had got punctured and the owner had stopped in the right lane. Why cant such people take sensible decisions and park the car after the flyover to the left? This led to all vehicles on the right having to squeeze to left and slow down the already long line up.

The icing on the cake is, the owner of the Eon had called road side assistance and when I asked if he needed help, he tells me he is waiting for the RSA guys to come - To fix a puncture?
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 10:21   #11388
Senior - BHPian

BTW, we are going to have one more "civic agency" to upgrade the life at Bangalore. The Mayor's absence is conspicuous.
New Action Group {Bengaluru Blue Print Action Group} has bigwigs, but lacks heft

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
But why such a long ramp I dont know.
A very steep climb may not be very encouraging for people to use the sky walk. So perhaps a long ramp, which kind of eases the climbing.

Quote:
BTW yesterday a Volvo bus decides to give up at the entrance of the second flyover towards silk board
Looks like there is another Volvo bus on strike some where between Kadubeesanahalli and Outer Ring Road/Marathahalli Jn. The volvo buses seems to be very ill maintained from the number of them getting stranded on the road.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 10:56   #11389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

Looks like there is another Volvo bus on strike some where between Kadubeesanahalli and Outer Ring Road/Marathahalli Jn. The volvo buses seems to be very ill maintained from the number of them getting stranded on the road.
Apparantly when the opposition demanded to bring down the ticket prices when the oil prices reduced the present government didn't bring down the prices because the savings due to low fuel prices went for the Maintenance of Volvo buses.
Old 10th May 2016, 13:24   #11390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I think the RTO made a mistake in the entry of model name. If you look at the engine number, its an R18xxxxxx which is a Honda Civic 1.8liter petrol engine. This is easy peasy - wonder why the culprits have not been caught yet.
Deliberate "mistake" to pay up lesser road tax maybe?

re: incident. I've been through a similar incident in the past: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3396938

Things I've done since then:
- purchase dash cam (yet to be fitted)
- drive more sedately and avoid interaction if possible
- invest in self-defence
Old 11th May 2016, 07:29   #11391
BHPian

1. A multi axle truck had got stuck on Bannerghatta Road right opposite to Seasons Restaurant in Bilekahahalli. Traffic had to move to the opposite lane, so expect some traffic early morning.

2. A water tanker had collided with some other vehicle on the BTM Layout lake road and SNN Raj Apartment road junction. There was quite a bit of damage to the water tanker on the left side but I couldn't spot the other vehicle. Tanker was on the middle of the road and was causing some traffic.

3. A Nissan Micra had collided with some cab I believe right opposite to alpine apartment towards graphite India. Micra had been pushed to the side and was not causing any traffic.

Regards
Old 11th May 2016, 08:47   #11392
Distinguished - BHPian

A truck has broken down on the exit ramp of NECE road towards Hosur.
At 7AM itself it was causing quite a big block. I expect a huge block later on.
Old 11th May 2016, 09:27   #11393
BHPian

Finally saw some signs of progress at the madiwala market road after months of no progress. On my way to work today, noticed that half the road (the half that had not been re-laid with concrete) had been closed to traffic, at least at the Hosur road end and I could see a layer of concrete with wet hay on top.
shreyascashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 09:31   #11394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

A very steep climb may not be very encouraging for people to use the sky walk. So perhaps a long ramp, which kind of eases the climbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

In addition to this, they should fence the road from the ramp of the flyover till the next ramp. Only then people will be forced to use the skywalk. Else we will have people who are lazy to climb all the way up. But why such a long ramp I dont know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Wouldn't it be better to make the vehicles go under / over and let humans walk / cycle at ground level? Guess we have to 'import' this idea for it to succeed.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-00ca3d24861f48f291ff7837753b63b0620x372.jpeg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot20151006at223520.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-p4020008.jpg  

Old 11th May 2016, 09:39   #11395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Wouldn't it be better to make the vehicles go under / over and let humans walk / cycle at ground level? Guess we have to 'import' this idea for it to succeed.
Definitely yes, but if you see the current scenario and the traffic situation the construction of an underpass is not all feasible at the location. In my opinion, the bridge is itself unnecessary since there are two flyovers on either side of ecospace under which pedestrians can cross without having to climb stairs. However, in order to help people who cannot walk the distance, they are providing this skywalk. Factors that will work against an underpass are:
1. ORR cant handle any infrastructure work. A broken down bus can lead to kms of slow traffic, and if there is a permanent diversion, then it will be hell
2. Given the Indian pace of doing things, it will be at least a year for them to complete the work, which will totally be horrific for commuters.
3. There are already two flyovers and between these two there is a 500m gap. An underpass within this short span will lead to a steep up down ramp which will lead to further traffic slowdown.

If people can use this instead of crossing the road, it will smoothen the traffic flow to some extent. But it will worsen the situation near the next flyover, on Sarjapur road. It will lead to traffic accumulation at a further location.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 10:01   #11396
Senior - BHPian

Metro East west corridor has carried over 1million passengers in 10 days. But not much visible reduction in number of vehicles across this stretch. Experts are saying people who normally travel by BMTC or company transport are mainly switching to metro. This is not an healthy trend. We need private vehicles to go off the roads. Competition between metro and BMTC is the last thing Bangalore needs at them moment.Last mile connectivity is still the issue.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 10:48   #11397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Metro East west corridor has carried over 1million passengers in 10 days. But not much visible reduction in number of vehicles across this stretch. Experts are saying people who normally travel by BMTC or company transport are mainly switching to metro. This is not an healthy trend. We need private vehicles to go off the roads. Competition between metro and BMTC is the last thing Bangalore needs at them moment.Last mile connectivity is still the issue.
I agree. However these numbers are deceptive as the shock and awe of Metro has lots of tourists riding to and from first stop to the last stop. The genuine user number might not be known for sometime till the wonder of a working Metro line wears off.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:53   #11398
BHPian

There is an urgent need of such kind of sky walk before Marathalli bridge near to Girias showroom.I see a lot of people crossing the roads at their whims without any kind of bother of danger that they inflict on themselves.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 10:55   #11399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg
This is the ideal situation, but I don't think this would happen in Bangalore (and most probably across India as well). This kind of long term and practical planning is not really our cup of tea. Secondly with the current mess we have at ORR and EcoSpace any major road building/digging activity is just going to s-crew up things further. Two examples of the lack of vision which our planners have:-
1. I see a similar sky walk getting built at NH7 near Narayana Hrudayalaya. Even today you can see large bunch of people (often elderly & sick) doing a dance trying to cross the road here to reach the hospital. This sky walk is supposed to help them. I was just wondering how can sick or old people really go up the sky walk, cross over and walk down? 99% of the people who use this sky walk is going to a hospital. In the case of EcoSpace, I think at least more healthy and agile people would use the sky walk.
2. There was a picture of a herd of elephants (with a cute baby elephant) trying to cross the barricades of a newly built four laned NH. It looks like it is near Madukkarai, Coimbatore side. The place they tried to cross the roads was an "elephant corridor", but here again the roads were built at the ground level. Tomorrow if some vehicle hits an elephant, either there would be a clamour asking the elephants to be cleared off the area, or the environmentalists saying that road traffic should be closed at certain times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman
But not much visible reduction in number of vehicles across this stretch. Experts are saying people who normally travel by BMTC or company transport are mainly switching to metro. This is not an healthy trend. We need private vehicles to go off the roads.
Only a person who has to criss-cross the city and would have their offices at Indira Nagar, M.G Road (and CBD) and perhaps the secretariat at Vidhan Soudha etc may find the current line beneficial. But the entire IT belt is actually no where covered by the metro. For a techie working at ITPL, he would have to get down at Bayyappanahalli and get the feeder service from there. But soon he would land up at the famous Tin Factory Jn; the place where the traffic block actually starts. And for folks entering ITPL from other directions (Hebbal, ORR, BTM etc.) the metro does not come any where close to them. Same is the case with electronics city. I don't think the North-South line getting commissioned also would bring in any major difference.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:59   #11400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I agree. However these numbers are deceptive as the shock and awe of Metro has lots of tourists riding to and from first stop to the last stop. The genuine user number might not be known for sometime till the wonder of a working Metro line wears off.
I take the metro and during week days its all office goers. Only on weekends we have people going on fun rides. It also says why the number of people taking the metro on weekends is more than week days.

They need to introduce some AC buses from Baiyappanahalli to ITPL.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks