Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 23:36   #11476
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

About 50 metres footpath from near Bangalore One to HAL Main Gate Bus Stop on Old Airport Road is unusable for drain construction work. Not sure why these contractors can't leave 1 - 2 feet for pedestrian movement. Total mess after rain
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20160519_091906_hdr.jpg  

Old 20th May 2016, 09:52   #11477
Senior - BHPian

Looks like not a very good day for road users.
A Volvo bus broken down near Kemp Fort (when going towards city). Slow moving traffic on elevated highway near EC. Water logging in BTM (looks like it is pretty bad) going towards Silk Board and Bommanahalli. Water logging at Kempapura Road and Challaghatta Road, and some areas near KR Puram bridge and Tin Factory et. al. HSR layout too seems to have some patches of water logging near Agara.
Old 20th May 2016, 10:23   #11478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Eventually she arrives home in HSR Layout at 12:30AM - a record breaking 4:30 hours of commute.
I feel sad, but I can only say congratulation that she reached home at least after 4.30 hours. In fact I could have run 4 TCS 10k during this time

On a serious note, I have been seeing this water logging in this stretch from the day the OOR was built (16 years or so). In 2001, one of my friends who was coming from Marathahalli side towards KR puram, during a heavy rain, had taken his Alto under the bridge in around 80 kmph only to realise that the bridge was water logged completely. Water was so much that he was not able to differentiate road and water during nigh. Luckily he swam and came out. It took around 2 days for the water to recede and the car was eventually dumped.

Simply there is no drainage system in the OOR. For example, from Kalamandir the drainage starts and abruptly ends just near Mobile furniture store (near the Marathahalli OOR intersection) and again the drainage starts ends after VIMS. This is throughout the OOR. More than usage for flowing water, the drainage is designed to collect and store water or collect garbage, all leading into water logging.

While the builders build so pathetically, the planners fail to control and the administrators look the other way as all are hand in glove! Finally the common man just keeps complaining
Old 20th May 2016, 11:16   #11479
BHPian

The officials were working on war footing (pun intended) to clear the water logging yesterday around 3:30 PM. They were using some tractor to pump the water into it and transport it elsewhere. Will they clear the drains for the next rains is the question.
Old 20th May 2016, 11:32   #11480
Senior - BHPian

Took me 2 hours to reach my office @EC from my home which is near lalbagh. The mistake I did was to take Jayanagar->BTM->Silkboard->BETL route instead of my regular Forum->St.Johns->Madiwala->BETL route as I had some work near Jayanagar 3rd block.

The bumper to bumper traffic was starting right from Jayadeva flyover all the way till start of BETL. Took me close to 1.30 hours to negotiate and reach BETL. Reason was because of the small lake that is created near silkboard. Traffic police and few good samaritans were helping people in crossing that stretch and clearing traffic. Dont know when all the government agencies work together and help avoid these kind of situations.

Attaching couple of pics which I took when stuck in the jam.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_4505.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_4506.jpg  

Old 20th May 2016, 14:44   #11481
Team-BHP Support

The railway underpass near Doddanekundi is waterlogged on the Marathahalli-bound carriageway, with traffic gridlocked on both sides upto the Mahadevapura junction (possibly further). A colleague who lives near Mahadevapura took 90 minutes to cover ~4kms to work around 1 PM.

Two fire service trucks are working on clearing the water, but no use if it rains again in the evening. Expect gridlocks to continue.
Old 20th May 2016, 14:50   #11482
BHPian

Yesterday night (~10.30-11pm) I had to go to pick my wife from airport.It started raining very heavily(almost zero visibility) on ORR around HRBR layout.The road turned into a swimming pool but some cabbies were still flying past me at 80-90 km/hr when one could barely see the next car 50m ahead. There was a lake formed on the left side of the Airport toll to trumpet flyover.Even the truckers were reluctant to go via that lake. Somehow I managed to went past that. There was only one thought which was going through my mind during the whole drive was that major problem with Bangalore roads is the ultimate bad designs by the decision making body. You have unpainted dividers (100% invisible during heavy rain),unmarked speed breakers (of all shapes,sizes etc),manholes jutting out of the side of the roads,jaywalkers crossing at blind turns. Than you have these wannabe racers inside those TT's, flying autos. No lane discipline, most of the drivers prefer to drive in the middle of lane markers. Really frustrated !!
Old 21st May 2016, 09:52   #11483
BHPian

Silk board is such a mess, the earlier potholes have become craters now, thanks to the raibs and the non drainage.

video from my dashcam

Regards
Shailesh
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:37   #11484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Silk board is such a mess, the earlier potholes have become craters now, thanks to the raibs and the non drainage.video from my dashcam
Which portion of Silk Board road is this? I've never seen this stretch, is it ORR or is it the path from BTM towards HSR?

As for the customary rant, things are just as bad as they always have been.. its a little better since colleges and schools are closed but expect the traffic situation to become much, much worse starting from next month. For now the Ola cabbies, two-wheeler riders and auto drivers do their part to ensure that lanes are never free to pass and that tension is an omnipresent emotion over the roads of the city.

I can also confidently say that I've seen auto-drivers go into liquor shops in multiple locations in the city, consume alcohol and then come out to drive as if nothing is a problem. Beware.
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:13   #11485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I can also confidently say that I've seen auto-drivers go into liquor shops in multiple locations in the city, consume alcohol and then come out to drive as if nothing is a problem. Beware.
To add on:-
1. I have seen police constables walk up in uniform to the cash counter of the liquor shops, take a share and then happily walk away.
2. I have also seen a police man (who is part of the team which goes on the "Cheetah" bikes) happily boozing at a bar at around 1100Hrs. Chap had proudly placed his helmet and walkie talkie on the table .
Old 23rd May 2016, 11:22   #11486
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening, I noticed rocks/boulders placed near the access ramp of the railway underpass on Kasturi nagar side. This is the underpass that leads to Old Madras road near Bennigannahalli. So now, you have to drive all the way past the Byappanahalli Metro station rear entrance/NGEF factory to reach Old Madras Road.

My friend who drove down from Mumbai on Friday also mentioned it was like that when he tried to take that route on Friday.
Anyone knows what's happening ?

Last edited by NPV : 23rd May 2016 at 11:24.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 11:35   #11487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Last evening, I noticed rocks/boulders placed near the access ramp of the railway underpass on Kasturi nagar side.
Anyone knows what's happening ?
Apparently, as per some unconfirmed resources the locals have closed this route.I don't know the exact reasons but this is what has been floating around.Two things which I come out of all this :
i) How can they actually close a public road ?
ii) What is Local Police and BBMP doing ?
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:22   #11488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Apparently, as per some unconfirmed resources the locals have closed this route.I don't know the exact reasons but this is what has been floating around.Two things which I come out of all this :
i) How can they actually close a public road ?
ii) What is Local Police and BBMP doing ?
Last week I saw two traffic police also standing there directing the cars towards the parallel road and two wheelers down the bridge. Not withstanding who placed the boulders, I feel it should be made permanent.

In fact all the two wheelers and autos should be diverted via the underpass and cars not be allowed there at all. Being a narrow stretch, the cars act as bottleneck to free flowing traffic.

On the other hand, two wheelers going beyond Baiyapanahalli station (after U turn) also should not be allowed towards OMR and only cars to be allowed there. For the sake of free flowing traffic, which is good for both cars and two wheelers, a little extra commute either way might help.

PS : I use both my two wheeler and car in this stretch.
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:27   #11489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
In fact all the two wheelers and autos should be diverted via the underpass and cars not be allowed there at all. Being a narrow stretch, the cars act as bottleneck to free flowing traffic.
I slightly disagree to this because if the Police can ensure one way in this tunnel and stop all kind of vehicles coming from OMR to Kasturi Nagar side its pretty smooth. The main problem arises when Cars from both direction get stuck at the turning inside the tunnel which is quite narrow. Add to it our champion autowallahs, general yellow board taxi public (with scant regard to lane system inside a narrow tunnel) you get a deadlock which is highly undesirable.
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:47   #11490
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of Whitefield updates:
1.The right half of the 4 lane one way between ABB junction and Hoodi junction - for half the distance between these 2 junctions only the left side of median is usable and right side is blocked off till the second break in median (where vehicles criss-cross) and the road has been dug in the middle, not sure if its BWSSB or GAIL or some other agency this time.

2.Graphite road between ATM junction and ABB/ESI junction - though this stretch is a one way, 2 strips of medians were still present from the 2 way days and was an irritant with vehicles criss-crossing after the medians. Thankfully these have been removed, was a peaceful drive on this stretch today.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed