Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2016, 12:08   #11926
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Wondering how the new plan now makes KR Puram an interchange ? (the only line at KR Puram would be the East-West line, so what other line will intersect here, unless they plan to connect Silk Board to KR Puram ?)

EDIT:Yes, the plan is to connect Silk Board to KR Puram via ORR.
Yes, that is the new plan being talked about. Silk Board-KR Puram-Hebbai was meant to be part of Phase 3. But now they are trying to pull in the Silk Board-KR Puram Section into Phase 2 (Or along with Phase 2). Glad that they are thinking about the interchange at Silk Board and KR Puram. Actually with a Carmelaram-Nagawara line being proposed in Phase 3, they need to think about an interchange at Iblur or Agara also.

Even keeping aside the ORR mess which has made this critical, this line provides a critical link from the Whitefield Kengeri line to the other new lines and sections of Phase 2. Well illustrated in the image below.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-metroall.jpg

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 29th June 2016 at 12:13.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 12:42   #11927
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while returning home from my office in EC, BETL was closed because of some accident. This was around 8:15 pm. He was mentioning that its taking time for people to clear the traffic and help the accident victims. Anybody has more information regarding this?

Today morning I had to drop my wife to her office in HSR and then goto my office in EC. Took me 1 hour from Jakkasandra/Agara junction till reaching the HSR 27th main road junction where I had to turn right. Is this the norm along this route everyday (as even on Monday I had faced similar traffic when going to sarjapur office) ?
Old 29th June 2016, 13:01   #11928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Is this the norm along this route everyday (as even on Monday I had faced similar traffic when going to sarjapur office) ?
Depends on what you qualify as norm. Till about 2 weeks ago the stretch used to get backed up starting at around 8 and be like that till about 11:30. It used to take 30-45 minutes to go from HSR BDA to Ecospace. For the last 2 weeks, things have gone haywire. The backup which used to start at agara flyover now starts at HSR BDA flyover. This has cascading effect on the entire area with people taking the interior HSR layout road and getting stuck at 27th main trying to rejoin ORR. Even the traffic on the opposite direction (towards silk board) which used to flow smoothly is getting affected due to grid locks at 19th main (near IOC petrol bunk) and near mantri sarovar.
I am not sure if the additional traffic is due to the construction near ecospace or due to another tech park opening in the ORR stretch.
Things have gone from bad to worse in the last 6 months on this stretch and looks like will only get worse.
Old 29th June 2016, 13:24   #11929
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Combine the travel time with one hour of lunch time, you have spent the working hours of a French national (7 hours)

Loss of productivity should be humongous........
I posted earlier about it yesterday, and adding my office-home commute time yesterday night, I've spent a horrendous 12 HOURS (1.5 Indian working days excluding a 1-hr break) on road in the last two days (my commute is a ~50 km round trip BSK 3rd Stage - Doddanekundi).

Couldn't bring myself to do it again today, just fired up the transport app early morning and cancelled my pickup. Sitting at home working with a hot lunch on the table beside and rain outside my window. Oh the small joys of life!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th June 2016 at 13:31.
Old 29th June 2016, 13:48   #11930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Hopefully this bails out our future generation from the ORR mess:

Change in Phase 2 to give Metro link to Outer Ring Road

In a significant move towards giving Metro link to the Outer Ring Road (ORR), the Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Ltd (BMRCL) has decided to modify the design of Phase 2 and make KR Puram and Central Silk Board junction interchange stations.
I took the Phase 2 plan from the internet and added the new proposed line in Orange and the possible stations.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-new-line.jpg

I pity those people who need to drive on this already congested road while the metro is being constructed.
But hopefully after 5-6 years this should reduce the load on this road

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 29th June 2016 at 13:49.
hemanth.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 14:08   #11931
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I took the Phase 2 plan from the internet and added the new proposed line in Orange and the possible stations........

.....I pity those people who need to drive on this already congested road while the metro is being constructed.
But hopefully after 5-6 years this should reduce the load on this road
I know it will need to be a multi-organisation effort, but if they are going to do that, it makes real sense to build a double-decker elevated section and use one level as a tolled roadway.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th June 2016 at 14:09.
Old 29th June 2016, 14:31   #11932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
+1

You can also add this.

How about fixing a Traffic Signal half way through in the flyover? That will ensure vehicles are stopped and will make traffic jams within the flyover

-Ravi
It was already done for quite a few years on Richmond circle flyover. There was a signal and traffic was diverted on the wrong side for a few mins creating the illusion of driving in a right-hand-side-drive country.
Old 29th June 2016, 14:32   #11933
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I took the Phase 2 plan from the internet and added the new proposed line in Orange and the possible stations.
Thanks!
This routing for Metro makes sense as it will also connect the bigger railway stations in and around the city to the Metro network - Bangalore City Railway Station (Sangolli Rayanna railway station), Bangalore Cantonment, Yeshwanthpur, K R Puram.

*For Banaswadi & Bangalore East, I guess Pottery town will be closest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
There was a signal and traffic was diverted on the wrong side for a few mins creating the illusion of driving in a right-hand-side-drive country.
We still have such a place that will remind you of a "right-hand-side-drive country"
The stretch between Garuda Mall and Richmond Road (Lifestyle/Football stadium junction) is a legal drive-on-the-right zone (one can feel he/she is in the US here!)

Last edited by NPV : 29th June 2016 at 14:36.
Old 29th June 2016, 15:00   #11934
BHPian

Looks like Namma Metro is construction will take at least 25 years seeing their ambitious plans. Again 25 years is a very optimistic number which does not account for the various land related litigations and change in plans by greedy MLAs/MLCs to suit their consituency. Also the usual delay which has no real reason and then the astronomical prices. And of course finally the blame that Bengaluru was not deemed a "Smart" City and thus did not get the money from the Central Government. All said and done the next generation in their prime and us in our retirement years should see at least Phase 2 completed.
(PS I almost laughed so hard that there is be an interchange at KR Puram.) I just cant fathom the chaos it will have during construction.
Old 29th June 2016, 15:16   #11935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I know it will need to be a multi-organisation effort, but if they are going to do that, it makes real sense to build a double-decker elevated section and use one level as a tolled roadway.
Nice idea, but I don't think there are people like you in the planning authorities for this city.
Probably they think that the existing road will be enough with the traffic diverted to metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
It was already done for quite a few years on Richmond circle flyover. There was a signal and traffic was diverted on the wrong side for a few mins creating the illusion of driving in a right-hand-side-drive country.
There was a traffic signal on the richmond flyover but traffic wasn't diverted on the wrong side.
It was only crisscrossing of traffic that made them to install a signal there.
Traffic entering the flyover from richmond road would go towards lalbagh road
Traffic entering the flyover from double road would go towards residency road.

But yes we do have sunch wrong-side driving at a couple of places I know. One is mentioned here.
Quote:
We still have such a place that will remind you of a "right-hand-side-drive country"
The stretch between Garuda Mall and Richmond Road (Lifestyle/Football stadium junction) is a legal drive-on-the-right zone (one can feel he/she is in the US here!)
One other place is the Majestic underpass.
Beginning of Sampige road, near mantri square mall, the traffic changes directions under the underpass.
Co-incidentally the metro also changes from underground to overground at this location

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thanks!
This routing for Metro makes sense as it will also connect the bigger railway stations in and around the city to the Metro network - Bangalore City Railway Station (Sangolli Rayanna railway station), Bangalore Cantonment, Yeshwanthpur, K R Puram.

*For Banaswadi & Bangalore East, I guess Pottery town will be closest.
They will then complete the ring...Banashankari to Nayandahalli and then to yeshwantpur to KR Puram etc which will then make it a good "Hub and spoke" design.
Yes, ofcourse all these will take a long time to become a reality.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 16:18   #11936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Looks like Namma Metro is construction will take at least 25 years seeing their ambitious plans. Again 25 years is a very optimistic number which does not account for the various land related litigations and change in plans by greedy MLAs/MLCs to suit their consituency. Also the usual delay which has no real reason and then the astronomical prices.
Countries like US have eminent domain, which enables state to to take private property for public use, even forcefully. 100 years back when NY Subway was being built, there are 100s of people, whose land was taken away. If the project requires land, what is the alternative? Why delay and cause hardship to millions?
PS: The situation here is not new. Other countries & cities have been through it. We need to learn from their experience and copy it here.
Old 29th June 2016, 16:29   #11937
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
(PS I almost laughed so hard that there is be an interchange at KR Puram.) I just cant fathom the chaos it will have during construction.
Can't even imagine the chaos when Byappanahalli line is extended (via Old Madras Road?) to Whitefield via KR Puram (ITPL Road, Graphite Road, EPIP) and on top of it there will also be work ongoing to connect Silk Board to KR Puram via the ORR

In other news, a new median has been constructed at the junction (below the KR Puram ORR ramp) near Whitefield Honda which blocks vehicles from moving in a straight line between the ORR and the new Railway underpass. I'm not sure what the final plan for this junction is (seems like work in the underpass is almost done now, our daring 2 wheelers have already begun using this though they have to climb a small hill created with the debris and mud excavated for the underpass

Last edited by NPV : 29th June 2016 at 16:37.
Old 29th June 2016, 16:34   #11938
BHPian

Will be better to move out of Bangalore for 5 years until all these works are completed.
Old 29th June 2016, 16:34   #11939
Senior - BHPian

I thought I had escaped the traffic demon when I moved to EC since my office is in EC. But alas, traffic loves me. It takes me 20 mins from home in Neeladri Nagar to EC office. A distance of 2 kms.
Old 29th June 2016, 17:29   #11940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
Will be better to move out of Bangalore for 5 years until all these works are completed.
Doing just that! I will be back when they finish building the city

On a serious note, The one thing i don't miss at all from Bangalore is the chaos of the roads. The biggest waste economically is ignored. Everyday! The number of vehicles are stupendous, but there has to be a way to manage the volume of traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks