Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2016, 14:48   #12121
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I am hearing a possible transport strike on Monday. Anyone hearing more about it?
Old 20th July 2016, 16:00   #12122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
I am hearing a possible transport strike on Monday. Anyone hearing more about it?
Nothing heard so far!
Old 20th July 2016, 17:04   #12123
Distinguished - BHPian

An insightful article on the life of a traffic constable doing duty on ORR.

Bangalore Citizen Matters

Definitely a tough job considering the sheer volume of traffic and the blatant disregard for rules.

Quote:
In a casual conversation with me, Jagadeesh says he could avail just one weekly off per month. “It’s not that our higher officers stop us from taking weekly off, but with the limited staff in the station how can we even afford to take the off? Who will manage the show?” he asks. On the days he takes the weekly off, he would have no time for entertainment, as he would end up finishing all the pending personal works. “We go for shopping once in six months or so, but I don’t remember when was the last time I watched a movie in a theatre. Where is the time?” he says when asked about how he relaxes on the days off-work.

At the 6th year of joining the police force, Jagadeesh’s monthly salary is Rs 20,000. Of this, Rs 5,000 is deducted for the General Provident Fund, pension and insurance. As he lives in a rented house, Rs 4,000 from his salary is paid as rent, Rs 5,000 goes on repaying the loan. So what remains is a meagre Rs 6,000-7,000, a sum on which his family survives.

The below statistic is quite shocking. 6 Tech parks and 4.8L vehicles? Can it really be that high.

Quote:
Manning traffic anywhere in a city like Bengaluru would invite health problems too, more so if they are posted on Outer Ring Road. Speaking at a programme recently, Additional Commissioner of Police (Traffic) R Hitendra revealed the magnitude of traffic movement on ORR. He said the total number of vehicles parked in six tech parks on ORR on a working day is more than 4.8 lakh, reflecting the enormous flow of traffic in this stretch. -

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 20th July 2016 at 17:14.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 17:42   #12124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The below statistic is quite shocking. 6 Tech parks and 4.8L vehicles? Can it really be that high.

I believe its more or less accurate. Ecospace itself has around 1 lakh vehicles. This is based on Bangalore Mirror's article which was published around a year back!!
kiran_cr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 18:08   #12125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
The truck seen in this picture is coming in the wrong direction. The school bus in front of me is blocked because there is another offender trying to overtake the stuck truck in the wrong direction. And there were atleast 10 more four-wheelers behind this stuck truck,counting the two wheelers would be waste of time.On the bright side,these people in the wrong direction are courteous enough to alert us via usage of hazard lamps, headlamps so that we can start the process of "adjustment".
The problem is that the cops state the service roads are not one ways. I have had many arguments with cops over this.
Old 20th July 2016, 18:14   #12126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
The problem is that the cops state the service roads are not one ways. I have had many arguments with cops over this.
There are proper signboards at entrance of these Service roads (Atleast the kadubisnahalli region) As a matter of fact, one can be seen in the video that I posted above.
Old 20th July 2016, 18:31   #12127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
An insightful article on the life of a traffic constable doing duty on ORR.
ORR itself comes under the jurisdiction of multiple police stations. And even Bangalore Traffic police higher up admits that the jurisdictions are not made up correctly/judiciously.

Airport Road Traffic PS handles part of the ORR from a bit after the KR Puram fly over all the way to the Kadu & Devarabeesanhalli points. They also have the Kundalahalli, Marathahalli areas under them. If some thing goes wrong at Kadu & Devarabeesanhalli the impact immediately is felt on the other points in their jurisdictions as well. But one thing I feel they still have many wider roads in their turf.

HSR Layout Traffic PS (near Iblur) gets the famous Bellandur Jn, Ecospace Junction and Agara as well. But they also have the luxury of having Varthur village, Harlur Road and even Sarjapur Road till Dommasandra to cover.

Perhaps the worthies higher up should perhaps have a special police zone for the ORR with adequate staff, whose only focus is ORR and traffic enforcement. Provide them exclusive radio channel, more two wheelers to reach spots quicker etc.

But considering the various incidents involving police officials (two Dy.SP rank officers commited suicide, one Dy.SP rank officer called it quits, one SI has been hospitalised in a suicide bid), I don't think the government is serious in providing help for the men in uniform. They also seems to be very low in order/hierarchy. Many other states, generally treat the police men in much better fashion and have capable ministers in charge of the home portfolio as well.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 23:24   #12128
JD1
BHPian

Excuse me for the OT, but did anyone get this spam mail (came from notices@trafficbangalore.in via sendinblue.com)
The links only take you to a marketing page to download the app. I read the footprint later to realize this is just an ad/spam mail!!
===============
Dear Sir/Madam,

Bangalore Traffic Police is pursuing contact less traffic violation booking from April 2016. With this process the vehicles violating traffic rules are booked using CCTV cameras and police personnel noting down the violations from a distance.

There is a high possibility that your vehicle has been noted down. Check if traffic fines are booked against your vehicle now (www.trafficbangalore.in). Click www.trafficbangalore.in and check your fines immediately.

You can pay your fines at Bangalore One counters.

Regards,
Traffic Bangalore App Team
www.trafficbangalore.in
This email is sent as a socially relevant message for residents of Bangalore. Please disregard if you do not reside in Bangalore now or do not own a vehicle.

Traffic Bangalore App is not part of Bangalore Traffic Police. The app gets traffic violation info Traffic Police data, and is an informatory app.

===============

Last edited by JD1 : 20th July 2016 at 23:26.
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 09:18   #12129
Team-BHP Support

Today on ORR near Agara Lake. A truck breaks down towards Iblur. Cars suddenly turn and come against you to access the service road. There was a slight jam as others got out to push the lorry to the side.

Meanwhile the jam shifts to the escapees stuck on the service road due to the trucks parked awaiting RTO inspection.

Made me smile!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 10:36   #12130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
Unfortunate incident from today.
Buddy, two wrongs won't make one right! It was uncalled for you to be abusive even though the other guy was!

This service roads has been two way roads for ages, recently it has been made one way. It would take a while for police to get it implemented (if they are really wishing it be a 'true one way'). Generally, one way service roads are always used as two ways just to avoid inconvenience to people living around that place. Also, please be empathetic to people living around who have been troubled for these traffic restrictions.

More importantly, do not use the sympathy card of 'migrant'. You too were as haughty as the other person. You could have avoided the complete blockage of traffic if you had moved your vehicle. You were only trying to prove your ego. Learn to appreciate the other side of being welcomed here!

Please replace Bangalore, in this incident, to your town/village/city, still it would have happened anywhere in India. Its hypocrisy at the best, having a job here, living here, but a traffic rants makes you an outsider
LoneRidder is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 11:12   #12131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder
This service roads has been two way roads for ages, recently it has been made one way. It would take a while for police to get it implemented (if they are really wishing it be a 'true one way'). Generally, one way service roads are always used as two ways just to avoid inconvenience to people living around that place.
My understanding is that when these kind of roads are laid (generally these also would be tolled roads), the contractor also has the obligation to provide service roads on both sides, which is meant to be used by the people who do not want to avail the tolled roads (mainly local people). These service roads are treated just like any other dual-lane carriage way. It is only because of the big mess we have at Bangalore, that police is experimenting with the one-way on the service roads as well.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 12:16   #12132
Senior - BHPian

I can relate quite a bit to this 😁.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-fb_img_1469083525721.jpg
rjstyles69 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 15:26   #12133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Buddy, two wrongs won't make one right! It was uncalled for you to be abusive even though the other guy was!

This service roads has been two way roads for ages, recently it has been made one way. It would take a while for police to get it implemented (if they are really wishing it be a 'true one way'). Generally, one way service roads are always used as two ways just to avoid inconvenience to people living around that place. Also, please be empathetic to people living around who have been troubled for these traffic restrictions.
Sir, I happen to travel on this road on a daily basis. Also, I happen to give way everyday to people which is why you do not read of a similar situation from me everyday.

But, are you suggesting that not obeying traffic rules is perfectly okay ? In my opinion, if everyone just follows the one way, the traffic moves smoothly even if slow. While if there are people coming in the wrong side on the oneway it just creates a deadlock. Everyone (including them) lose time because people try to save 30 seconds. And if there is a proper road rules that state so, why are you even trying to say its okay to drive in the wrong direction is justified ?

While I am empathetic to their situation, but it doesn't serve anyone's purpose to overlook the traffic rules. Add to that, if you know what you are doing is wrong, you still have the audacity to argue and come down to fight. There was no way I could have moved my car back or left due to the traffic pile-up. How do you suggest I could have moved ?

Also, it is very surprising to hear that its totally okay to disregard road rules. While I agree that some of the road rules might be inconvenient, not following them is never correct. There are other better ways to get them changed if needed. By the logic people are used to not wearing helmets for ages, asking them to wear one might be inconvenient but it is the correct thing to do. I rest my case here.

Quote:
More importantly, do not use the sympathy card of 'migrant'. You too were as haughty as the other person. You could have avoided the complete blockage of traffic if you had moved your vehicle. You were only trying to prove your ego. Learn to appreciate the other side of being welcomed here!
Unfortunately, looks like you didn't go through the entire post. Clearly mentioned that there were vehicles at the back and there was a vehicle on the left side when I landed into this. In the video its very clear, that the car in the front has pulled all the way to the front bumper leaving no space for movement. I see a very strong accusative tone when you use the term 'migrant', lets be very clear here - I was asked if I belonged from here and had political links so that I could handle if the person in the front started troubling after a complaint. This was suggested by my company security head. Lets limit out discussion to the word to this because anything more than this leads to off topic irrelevant discussions. LoneRidder, this is a request. Please !

While, it is understandable in the retrospect to be calm; the frustration of daily losing time due to such people leads to this. Not that I am justifying or saying it is a correct thing to do, rather it is just human to be imperfect and I am one.

Last edited by Rahul_ : 21st July 2016 at 15:44.
Rahul_ is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:01   #12134
Distinguished - BHPian

Peaceful drive today to office via Hebbal, Cubbon Park, Richmond Circle etc. Is this the 'Kabali' effect or was I simply lucky?

A precaution today is to avoid ALL known Rajnikanth fan club hotspots including all cinema halls playing Kabali :-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 22nd July 2016 at 09:01. Reason: Grammar
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:37   #12135
BHPian

unusual jams (at 3 places) between kasturinagar junction and manyata tech park. first one exactly at the kasturi nagar junction, second one immediately after ramamurthy nagar underpass and then just before kamannahalli junction.

Most Viewed