Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2016, 15:09   #12151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
On a side note, has this bit of news made it to the papers?
Its conspiciously absent in the media...

Cheers !

Sundar
The news is there in Times of India today, but in the 2nd or 3rd page. TOI calls it an indefinite strike. A local language paper says it is till 6pm Monday.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 15:11   #12152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The news is there in Times of India today, but in the 2nd or 3rd page. TOI calls it an indefinite strike. A local language paper says it is till 6pm Monday.
Shows the priority of ToI . Any way from what I heard the strike is on. And looks like the BMTC employees may take out protest marches, and a bit of rasta roko in some parts of the city.
Old 24th July 2016, 18:43   #12153
BHPian

Karnataka Govt declares two-day holiday for schools owing to bus strike :

http://m.timesofindia.com/city/benga...w/53364965.cms
Selective is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 06:36   #12154
Senior - BHPian

Folks

On the account of bus strike, It would be better if the employees come early to work. Reason being if anyone wants to know the total no. of cars and 2 wheelers running in Bangalore city, it is these 2 days as most of them would be bringing either their cars or 2 wheelers to office
Better to come early and leave early.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 07:49   #12155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
It would be better if the employees come early to work. Reason being if anyone wants to know the total no. of cars and 2 wheelers running in Bangalore city, it is these 2 days as most of them would be bringing either their cars or 2 wheelers to office
Better to come early and leave early.
And that is exactly what I noticed today at BETL toll. At 0710am, the queue length was extending all the way where the ramp begins (around 25 cars at least)!

Gave me good hints that most of them are trying to reach work by their own commute vehicles. On top of this, there was heavy presence of Autorickshaws on roads at this time and then the Maxi cabs filled with loads of humans at the peak of their "business".

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th July 2016 at 08:01. Reason: he->the
Old 25th July 2016, 07:52   #12156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And that is exactly what I noticed today at BETL toll. At 0710am, the queue length was extending all he way where the ramp begins (around 25 cars at least)!

Gave me good hints that most of them are trying to reach work by their own commute vehicles. On top of this, there was heavy presence of Autorickshaws on roads at this time and then the Maxi cabs filled with loads of humans at the peak of their "business".
Also these 2 days will be more than enough for the autos and private buses to fleece the hapless public. Traffic will definitely be worse than usual. What if the Metro were to be running from silk board to ITPL. I can probably only dream of such a thing happening.
Old 25th July 2016, 08:20   #12157
BHPian

Today reached office in under 40 mins which usually takes more than an hour. This has been the case even during previous strikes as well. I can understand the inconvenience caused to people who use public transport but for others its a bliss. The authorities have to seriously look into why BMTC is one of major reasons of jams, even though its obvious for rest of the public. Instead of reducing the traffic on the street they create more, quiet the contrary of what public transport are suppose to do.
vin_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 09:47   #12158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
Today reached office in under 40 mins which usually takes more than an hour. This has been the case even during previous strikes as well. I can understand the inconvenience caused to people who use public transport but for others its a bliss. The authorities have to seriously look into why BMTC is one of major reasons of jams, even though its obvious for rest of the public. Instead of reducing the traffic on the street they create more, quiet the contrary of what public transport are suppose to do.
The ease of today's traffic is not just because BMTC going off road. Equally important factor is, majority of the schools are closed and school buses and other drops to schools are also off the road.

Last edited by Sree73 : 25th July 2016 at 10:04.
Sree73 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 10:05   #12159
Senior - BHPian

I did not see much difference near Marathahalli when I crossed around 9 am. Due to private buses stopping haphazardly to pick/drop passengers, there were traffic jams, but after I cleared that part, remaining drive was peaceful.
Old 25th July 2016, 10:56   #12160
Senior - BHPian

I was hoping to reach office early, but finally I turned up half an hour late. One thing at least in the EC to Whitefield route, I did not see a marked reduction in the number of vehicles on the road. In fact I felt that cars were more on the roads today . Looks like Manyata Tech. Park is also seeing a huge traffic jam today, as many of the Volvo patrons have all decided to land up in their cars.

There was a big fire in one of the (textile?) shops right next to the Varthur village main road. Due to this there was a traffic jam, and finally I had to take some narrow roads to get out of the place. Fire Engines were being rushed from Airport Road, Mahadevapura, K.R Puram sides. But they were also having a tough time as they all got caught in traffic jams at Kundalahalli, Varthur Kodi etc. If Fire engines were coming from Sarjapur Road side, also they would meet the same fate some where near Gunjur.

When I finally jumped out of Varthur village, I did see a Fire Engine standing and wailing near the Varthur lake. Vehicular movement to the Varthur was blocked, and the fire engine was also not trying to get into the other lane (wrong side) and charge forward. I have a Vodafone connection and I tried reaching 103 to inform the Traffic police. Being a true blue "private operator", Vodafone did not allow calls on that number. Finally I dropped a note using the BTP Mobile application. But looks a few fire engines already had reached the spot, so this could be one of the late comers or reinforcements.
Old 25th July 2016, 11:21   #12161
BHPian

Hi All,

We talk about the traffic situation on a daily basis, but we don’t do anything about it. This is our chance!

There was a drive to recruit Traffic Wardens for Bangalore last Saturday and the response was abysmal to say the least, would anyone be interested to join and help manage the traffic situation in respective areas?

More info can be found at the following link - http://www.bcptwo.com/about.html

There is another interview this coming Saturday - PM me if you or anyone is interested

Lets solve our traffic problems!
KevinP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 11:39   #12162
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Despite government transport corporation buses and school transport vehicles being off the road, Tin Factory junction was at it's crazy best
I took the hanging bridge, the the KR Puram-Bhattarahalli road to Ayyapanagar and onwards to Hoodi and ITPL, got to workplace in an hour.

I guess all the folks who use public transport were forced to use private vehicles and contributed to excess traffic today ?

Last edited by NPV : 25th July 2016 at 11:41.
Old 25th July 2016, 11:48   #12163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I guess all the folks who use public transport were forced to use private vehicles and contributed to excess traffic today ?
Yes, this will definitely be true especially in the IT Corridor Areas like Whitefield and ORR. I personally am an example - Usually take public transport but took my bike today. Know several others who did the same.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 13:07   #12164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
Today reached office in under 40 mins which usually takes more than an hour. This has been the case even during previous strikes as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
The ease of today's traffic is not just because BMTC going off road. Equally important factor is, majority of the schools are closed and school buses and other drops to schools are also off the road.
I start for work most days at around 10 AM, by which time pretty much all the school buses would have done their morning run. I don't think the ease is due to school buses alone. On my daily commute route (OA Road), there are many bus stops that block one lane of the road completely. This creates large bottlenecks (since at these times, there is almost always a bus stationary at the stop). Examples on OA Road are (towards city) Marathahalli Bridge, Marathahalli Borewell, HAL Police Station, Konena Agrahara etc. and (towards Whitefield) HAL Main Gate, Marathahalli Market etc.
Old 25th July 2016, 13:21   #12165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I did not see much difference near Marathahalli when I crossed around 9 am. Due to private buses stopping haphazardly to pick/drop passengers, there were traffic jams, but after I cleared that part, remaining drive was peaceful.
We must thank our stars that all schools ares shut today. That means the school buses are off the roads and considering the fact that most of us would have come to office by our own personal means, traffic would be on the higher side.
What if the schools were running today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks