Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2016, 12:35   #12181
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Engineering design must be an alien concept to our civic authorities.
There is no much choice due to the railway track above. This problem has been there from the day one of ORR. In 2003, one of my friends had his Maruti 800 floating at the Mid Night in this point. Those days the traffic used to be very less that during a heavy rainy night, as he drove, he though it to be straight road, and ended up in middle of water logged underpass, and finally had to swim out of the window to rescue himself.

God, now I should learn swimming to drive in Bangalore
Old 26th July 2016, 12:48   #12182
Team-BHP Support

Better sense prevailed, moved all in-person meetings to later in the week and stayed home today. Wouldn't have made it to half (or any) of them anyway.
Old 26th July 2016, 13:46   #12183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Avoid ORR at any cost today
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
One more, taken from Ferns Icon at Doddanekkundi at 10 AM.
What does it look like out there now? Google still show red and I need to head to hebbal in a while from Graphite India.
Old 26th July 2016, 13:58   #12184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
What does it look like out there now? Google still show red and I need to head to hebbal in a while from Graphite India.
I just checked half hour back during lunch and Doddanekkundi signal looks ok. Not too much crowd.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 14:11   #12185
BHPian

Current situation of ORR. Silkboard to EMC2. Seems the scene is deteriorating... Do not go by the time given (41 Mins). It's going to take minimum 2 Hrs.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20160726135756_com.google.android.apps.maps.png  

Last edited by Sree73 : 26th July 2016 at 14:23.
Sree73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 16:55   #12186
Distinguished - BHPian

Challenge from the administration. "Awesome job in making commuters suffer with the strike and poor designs that enable the massive waterlogging. Now think out of the box. What can we do to make it worse".

Smart junior- " I know. The drain work in front of Ecospace created some awesome jams. Now let us commence tarring of the dug up section during peak hours in the evening. We can also park a couple of tipper lorrys haphazardly that can add to the fun".

End result: tarring work in progress in front of Ecospace.Has resulted in slow moving traffic that had caused a pile up till kadubeesanahalli at 3.50pm.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 18:35   #12187
BHPian

Finally!!
https://twitter.com/rk_misra/status/757891762274770944
The tweet reads:
"ORR Waterlogging-BBMP didn't clear choked drains-Getting done. Hope doesn't rain tonight."

Also rains predicted tonight! Better not risk traveling that side tomorrow if you have a choice.

Last edited by sanjaykk : 26th July 2016 at 18:37.
Old 26th July 2016, 18:58   #12188
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Bengaluru overflowing with Jam(s) of the traffic kind!

To BMTC, KSRTC - You guys really made a terrific impact!

Every vehicle in Bangalore was probably on the road today, crazy traffic jams everywhere.
Took 1.5 hours to reach near Phoenix Market City and then had to head back home as traffic was grid-locked.
Old 26th July 2016, 19:23   #12189
Team-BHP Support

Curious, why is ESMA (Essential Services Maintenance Act) not applicable in this scenario?

I don't dispute their right to protest, but holding an entire state and its capital hostage for two days without public bus services? Easy to say drive on your own, but traffic nightmares notwithstanding, what about the public that doesn't own vehicles and can't afford cabs/autos?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th July 2016 at 19:27.
Old 26th July 2016, 19:45   #12190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Curious, why is ESMA (Essential Services Maintenance Act) not applicable in this scenario?
ESMA is definitely applicable. But the thing is, the unions are on record that they are willing to risk jail.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/natio...on-strike.html

“All the employees of the four state-run transport corporations are ready to go to jail in case the government decides to invoke Esma”

So if GoK apply ESMA, they have to follow through too - which is to arrest all union leaders and striking staff members etc. They wouldn't do that without long, hard thinking because of the political ramifications of such a move.
Old 26th July 2016, 19:52   #12191
Senior - BHPian

I don't see any update on the strike on any websites - will the strike continue tomorrow also? Two days, it was some what OK because school buses were not running. Can't imagine the mayhem if the strike is not called off and the school starts tomorrow.

--Anoop
Old 26th July 2016, 19:53   #12192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't dispute their right to protest, but holding an entire state and its capital hostage for two days without public bus services? Easy to say drive on your own, but traffic nightmares notwithstanding, what about the public that doesn't own vehicles and can't afford cabs/autos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
ESMA is definitely applicable. But the thing is, the unions are on record that they are willing to risk jail.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/natio...on-strike.html

“All the employees of the four state-run transport corporations are ready to go to jail in case the government decides to invoke Esma”

So if GoK apply ESMA, they have to follow through too - which is to arrest all union leaders and striking staff members etc. They wouldn't do that without long, hard thinking because of the political ramifications of such a move.
Yup, it can be invoked but like binand said - there will be big time political fallout because of such a move. But I also remember Jayalalitha invoking it years back and she stood firm when the transport department were on strike. I even remember they recruited new people to drive and manage state transport.
Old 26th July 2016, 20:07   #12193
Team-BHP Support

So a game of political chicken (or rather politicos being the avian species in question) then, as is pretty much everything in this state/country.

What's the point of having laws if nobody has enough fortitude to enforce them? Curiously, the same govt. didn't have any qualms dreaming up, enforcing or defending ridiculous draconian measures when the other side wasn't a politically relevant bunch. Will not debate this further lest mods get busy with infractions, but this is frustrating beyond measure.

Stayed home today but need to be in office for the next few days. No choice but to grin and bear it, I suppose.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 20:30   #12194
Senior - BHPian

The BMTC strike is a Frankenstein's monster of the governments making. The State govt kept protecting BMTC and never allowed private buses to ply in the city . There are other cities where private and public buses co-exist, and the government sets a cap on the fares.

Now the BMTC staff has held the entire city to ransom with schools and colleges being closed. A 35% hike is unheard of anywhere ! Hope the government learns some lessons and allows private buses to ply in the city.

The latest update from twitter is that some BMTC buses are plying and driven by trainees/probationers, but nothing even close to full strength. Another tweet says that school and colleges are also closed tomorrow.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 21:14   #12195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Can't imagine the mayhem if the strike is not called off and the school starts tomorrow.
My sister-in-law is a teacher; she has heard from her school that they have a holiday tomorrow (Wednesday) as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
But I also remember Jayalalitha invoking it years back and she stood firm when the transport department were on strike.
Don't recall the TN episode; but in KA - with the union and state governments from opposing parties - it is very unlikely the government declares ESMA and risk a major fallout. If they do, they'll have to arrest leaders of the strike, which will lead to violent protests (stoked by vested interests, no doubt), leading to police-people clashes, leading to major L&O problem and eventually talk of imposing article 356.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
There are other cities where private and public buses co-exist, and the government sets a cap on the fares.
Can you cite some examples? I know of Kolkata where they co-exist and the public transport system (outside of trains) there is a disaster. They don't symbiotically coexist; private buses simply squeeze out the public service (see Kochi); eventually the roads become a warzone with private buses completely ignoring fare, speed, stops, scheduling etc. regulations.

Quote:
A 35% hike is unheard of anywhere !
From what I understand, the last hike was 4 years ago. They are only asking for an 8% annualized rate, which barely touches the inflation rate India saw during these years.

Quote:
some BMTC buses are plying and driven by trainees/probationers
As if Bangalore didn't have enough mad folks behind wheels already.
binand is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed