Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2016, 17:39   #12226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

So now it seems there is a bandh tomorrow?

http://www.thenewsminute.com/article...-verdict-47189
Old 27th July 2016, 17:57   #12227
Senior - BHPian

TV News are reporting that BMTC / KSRTC strike has been called off. Service will resume this evening. Expect full service from tomorrow. 12.5% it is (the hike).
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 18:14   #12228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
So now it seems there is a bandh tomorrow?

http://www.thenewsminute.com/article...-verdict-47189
Looks like the bandh is in north karnataka. Bangalore should be good.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 18:20   #12229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
TV News are reporting that BMTC / KSRTC strike has been called off. Service will resume this evening. Expect full service from tomorrow. 12.5% it is (the hike).
Yes, the strike is called off. Saw this on a news channel. Full service to resume by tomorrow morning while partial services start from the evening itself.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 23:04   #12230
Distinguished - BHPian

Warning : Massive rant to follow below encompassing common sense, science, spirituality etc.

While I'm relieved that the strike has finally been called off, I'm not in any mood to forgive those that have been responsible for it for the past 3 days, resulting in unbelievable traffic jams, more lawlessness than ever I have seen and absolute pits of stupidity.

Today it took me 80 minutes (yes 1 hour & 20 minutes) to travel a distance of 2.5 kms, mathematically this bring the average speed to a little under 2 kmph. This is officially walking speeds & I'm aware that for those working in the ORR even this is nothing.. that makes this local situation much sadder. That apart the past 2 days I've been reaching work in 1.5 hours (a whole 3 hours wasted just for travel), I was forced to drive as autos have gone nuts with the rates and Uber the less said the better with their secretive spike charges. Its not even the average speed that got to me but the sheer lack of traffic enforcement, many dozens of violations of 1-way rules, and absolute disregard for lane discipline. As long as one gets 10 feet in front he/she couldn't be lesser bothered about the irrelevant details like rules. Its been a nightmare for the past 2 days but today just about broke every record I've personally witnessed.

Public transport is called essential for a reason, many lakhs of people rely on it and since its been around forever, no one can fault the public for taking it for granted. I did not get a great education just to keep quiet for things that are so obviously irrational and downright evil. Where does it end? The city administrative authorities are digging up every road left right and centre, allowing public transport to be withdrawn by letting the situation degrade to a level which anyone could've seen coming from 10 miles, and on top of that they throw the "public" to the wolves, to fend for themselves. The American "multinational" corporations on the other hand expect this train-wreck of a local system to perform on par with their expectations and timings thus forcing everyone to travel as they hold the economy with a tight leas.. er noose. The result - today.

Political correctness comes at a great cost. One (including I myself) cannot criticize those that govern the nation as we shall constantly be reminded that there is no better alternative either, one cannot rant on a particular demographic of motorists since in no demographic are 100% of the people guilty of rule-breaking & one cannot even stand up for what's right as he/she will be quickly reminded of their brazen proactiveness as a negative attribute.

As I harp on about the current scene of things, many, if not all think that I have a persecution complex.. that its easier to just do stuff without thinking too hard or deeply into why things are the way they are. I take one look at what's happening - news channels/papers showing how the public suffers the water loggings, terrible infrastructure, traffic jams and endless pollution just to get eyeballs and sensationalism, the custodians of democracy and administration upholding neither, and the utterly brainwashed public, patiently withstanding all the deficiencies that the country throws at them.. after all we are taught that the big G is always right and always fair, no matter how ridiculous their actions may seem - and I feel there is indeed a system of persecution in place only to be ignored due to the futility of the alternative.

I'm proud to be paying tax, no matter how many of them are there (VAT, KKC, ST, SBT, etc), after all its part of what makes a democracy.. however the least I can expect in return is not to be let down in terms of essentials and equality of being. One can make as many excuses as possible for the current strike but who let it degenerate to this level where it had to come down to a protest for things to progress? I don't care which entity falls directly under the government or not, I don't care which departments are under the influence of local bodies and I don't care how many hundreds of years they will use the same 2 excuses to pretend that they're helpless, bottom line is that they collect the taxes in unison and should not use pathetic excuses to not do what they are supposed to do in the first place.

Check and mate, we still lose.

Last edited by dark.knight : 27th July 2016 at 23:14.
dark.knight is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 07:49   #12231
BHPian

hello - considering that there has been overnight rain in some parts of the city on july 27th(night), can someone shed some light on the current ORR road conditions, especially KR Puram, Salem Bridge and Marathahalli Ecospace stretch ?
Thanks much
raghu

Last edited by raghuram.cg : 28th July 2016 at 07:50. Reason: being more specific about the day/date
Old 28th July 2016, 07:58   #12232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
hello - considering that there has been overnight rain in some parts of the city on july 27th(night), can someone shed some light on the current ORR road conditions, especially KR Puram, Salem Bridge and Marathahalli Ecospace stretch ?
Thanks much
raghu
I just passed through Ecospace and Doddanekkundi railway bridge, there is no water logging but there is good amount of traffic for this time.

Added: I hear from a colleague that there is water logging and tariff jam from Tin factory towards Mahadevapura.

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 28th July 2016 at 08:20.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 08:48   #12233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whoever is coming from Hebbal to Tin factory area.. please take diversion.
Same issue near Karthik Nagar underpass towards Marthahalli
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-13880327_10209262259334385_8737485089815581551_n.jpg
Source: Anju KP HVK FB group

Not sure how much of an impact it has on traffic as Maps shows usual pile ups at Hebbal & KR Puram.
Old 28th July 2016, 08:49   #12234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
can someone shed some light on the current ORR road conditions, especially KR Puram, Salem Bridge and Marathahalli Ecospace stretch ?

raghu
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I just passed through Ecospace and Doddanekkundi railway bridge, there is no water logging but there is good amount of traffic for this time.

Added: I hear from a colleague that there is water logging and tariff jam from Tin factory towards Mahadevapura.
Guys,

Just passed through the Doddanekundi underpass, and no surprises; There is huge amount of water. Fire Force must be on their way.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dodda.jpg

But probably due to not many vehicles on road like past 3 days, the traffic was not that bad. I could cross this in about 10 minutes.

May pile up soon, but should not be a big concern. After the underpass it is real quick all the way to eco space.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 09:38   #12235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I'm proud to be paying tax, no matter how many of them are there (VAT, KKC, ST, SBT, etc), after all its part of what makes a democracy.. however the least I can expect in return is not to be let down in terms of essentials and equality of being.
Check and mate, we still lose.
Aye, there's the rub!
Let me take you to this familiar discussion topic
https://www.quora.com/What-populatio...y-Income-Taxes

You and I, my friend, are the part of the elite 3% who provides the fodder for the 1.24 Billion! So, obviously, the Big G is always short of cash.

For a comparison, lets look at Britain:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...on-rich-incre/
50%! Are you kidding me. If 50% of Indians paid tax, we'd have Utopia.
In most developed nations, the public service workers are well paid, which is why, cops don't take bribes(mostly), roads are in good shape, contractors steal but vigilance is high, and transport orgs don't go on strike(except for the French).
With my 20+ years of West Bengal experience, I am really shocked it took this long for BMTC/KSRTC to reach an impasse.
I heard one gentleman complain on the radio that the G should implement ESMA. All sounds good, but, if the G has the money to pay the CRPF & RAF, they might as well use the same money for the increment.
But before all that happens, we need a system to ensure that we can at least have 10-15% of the working population pay tax and then we can ensure proper social security, not only for the bus drivers, but for all.
It's all cause and effect :
We pay the taxes, Cops get paid well, they take interest in their job, manage traffic, wield the stick and the challans, errants learn their lesson the hard way.
Pacifists might argue, but I believe that the carrot and stick works, very well.
Old 28th July 2016, 10:16   #12236
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This morning as I approached the Tin Factory junction from Railway underpass at Benniganahalli on Old Madras Road I was surprised to see the junction ahead totally free and clear. When I reached closer to the place where ORR down ramp merges, I saw very few vehicles were merging and couple of cops were just doing 'bystander' duty. There was quite a lot of water logging at that point which caused reduced number of vehicles to come down on the ramp very slowly. This problem ensured that the junction near the Hanging bridge and even the service road all the way upto KR Puram Railway station was fast moving!

*Picture of the situation is there in @procrj's post above

Last edited by NPV : 28th July 2016 at 10:19.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 10:50   #12237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
You and I, my friend, are the part of the elite 3% who provides the fodder for the 1.24 Billion!
Note that the 3% refers to only income tax payers. Direct tax is only about 35% of all tax revenue in India. Pretty much every citizen ends up paying some sort of indirect tax - sales tax/service tax being the most obvious ones.

If you look at state financial statements, you'll find that tax revenue is usually only barely sufficient to pay salaries and fund doles. Usually there is nothing left for things that taxes are supposed to pay for - physical and social infrastructure, skill development, employment generation etc.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 10:54   #12238
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Note that the 3% refers to only income tax payers. Direct tax is only about 35% of all tax revenue in India.
Therein lies a huge problem, that we need to address by having a larger taxpayer base.
We need more folks to come under the ambit of Income Tax, currently we have too less a number, quite evident that a large chunk is somehow avoiding paying IT.
This is OT for this thread, so let's not debate this anymore here.

Last edited by NPV : 28th July 2016 at 10:56.
Old 28th July 2016, 11:30   #12239
BHPian

Two bottlenecks along ORR these days - Tin Factory down ramp and Rainbow Hospital underpass - both waterlogged. Causing crawls from Horamavu Big Bazaar till Marathahalli. The tin factory water logging seems to be a new phenomenon though. Never experienced it earlier.
Old 28th July 2016, 11:40   #12240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Hi All,

We talk about the traffic situation on a daily basis, but we don’t do anything about it. This is our chance!

There was a drive to recruit Traffic Wardens for Bangalore last Saturday and the response was abysmal to say the least, would anyone be interested to join and help manage the traffic situation in respective areas?

More info can be found at the following link - http://www.bcptwo.com/about.html

There is another interview this coming Saturday - PM me if you or anyone is interested

Lets solve our traffic problems!
Not a single person interested?

Most Viewed