Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2016, 14:01   #12526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Some questions on BRTS:
BRTS requires dedicated bus lanes in either direction. To ensure no other traffic enters the bus lanes, the whole stretch need to be cordoned off. Which is a massive task in itself our country.
Secondly, the lanes cannot be single, for instance to handle bus breakdowns. So it requires atrleast 4 lanes considering both directions.
BMTC runs AC & non AC buses. Which buses must get BRTS? Are BRTS buses exclusive or any BMTC bus will do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Not sure if anyone is proposing to have BRTS on small roads.
The article talks about BRTS on ORR. If we consider BMTC volvos, the crowded stretches are,
1) Domlur to Vydehi
2) Jayadeva to Vydehi
Implementing BRTS on ORR won't help these stretches.

PS: ORR doesn't need BRTS. It requires expressway with exits (I mean real exits, not 90 degree turns) to tech-parks.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 14:45   #12527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Some questions on BRTS:
BRTS requires dedicated bus lanes in either direction. To ensure no other traffic enters the bus lanes, the whole stretch need to be cordoned off. Which is a massive task in itself our country.
Secondly, the lanes cannot be single, for instance to handle bus breakdowns. So it requires atrleast 4 lanes considering both directions.
BMTC runs AC & non AC buses. Which buses must get BRTS? Are BRTS buses exclusive or any BMTC bus will do?

The article talks about BRTS on ORR. If we consider BMTC volvos, the crowded stretches are,
1) Domlur to Vydehi
2) Jayadeva to Vydehi
Implementing BRTS on ORR won't help these stretches.

PS: ORR doesn't need BRTS. It requires expressway with exits (I mean real exits, not 90 degree turns) to tech-parks.
ORR has parted flyovers. The reason is so that the center parted portion can be used for buses exclusively. If they could, they would have to make them non-intersecting below the flyovers by going down in a underpass manner. This will bring exclusive use of lanes where it matters.

I lived in Ottawa for some time and there the buses run on normal roads vying with other traffic. On some parts, especially between sections of crowded areas, they have exclusive bus lanes (just two lanes one each for each direction). These lanes go down other roads, sometime over other roads. Bus stops are at these intersections. These exclusive use lanes also connect to satellite like areas outside the city, to shopping areas, markets etc. But then they have so much space that they can do anything
Old 31st August 2016, 15:23   #12528
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
.......But then they have so much space that they can do anything
Your forget the critical bit. They don't have smart-alecs (at least not a majority of them) who will barge into bus-only lanes, cause a traffic jam then riot when taken to task.

Replicating something that works somewhere else needs extensive re-calibration to target location & audience. India doesn't just lag in traffic discipline, it simply doesn't have any.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st August 2016 at 15:25.
Old 31st August 2016, 21:38   #12529
BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1472659621.244736.jpg

One small rain and traffic goes haywire in namma Bengaluru. Took me almost an hour to get from South End signal to Sarakki Signal. Absolute nightmare and not one traffic cop in sight.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 22:07   #12530
Senior - BHPian

^^
I think you should always take the Sarakki main road till the farthest point you can go on it.

My father uses that particular road to commute from Basavangudi to Arekere everyday.

Note: Our City is simply not built to handle this much of traffic. We have high rise buildings, not the roads don't have first, second or third floor.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 07:07   #12531
Senior - BHPian

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/53952214.cms

Only God alone can make pothole free roads in Bangalore.
Old 1st September 2016, 08:19   #12532
Team-BHP Support

Volvo bus broken down in Iblur towards Sarjapur. Expect tailbacks

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd September 2016 at 16:40.
Old 1st September 2016, 11:22   #12533
Distinguished - BHPian

Heard from a colleague that there was a multi-vehicle pile-up on Bellary Road today morning in the Yelahanka/Bagalur area. Resulted in a major jam till the vehcicles were cleared.

The situation will soon be such that any airport traveler should keep at least 30 minutes more in hand for such events.
Old 1st September 2016, 12:03   #12534
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday morning on the 4 lane divided one way stretch between Bhoruka/ABB and Hoodi junctions, traffic cops stopped all school buses for checking. My best guess was the drive was to check DUI after several school bus drivers have been caught in the last 2-3 days.

Hope this makes the commute safer for school children who are at the mercy of such drivers and the general public is saved from the rash driving exhibited by these drivers.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 13:50   #12535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
My best guess was the drive was to check DUI after several school bus drivers have been caught in the last 2-3 days.
Cannot fathom why the school bus drivers are drinking during the day.
Old 1st September 2016, 13:53   #12536
Senior - BHPian

I dont know what happened today in Koramangala. It took me 1.30 hours to reach Koramangala club road from 1st Block, all routes were choc-a-block with traffic even internal short cuts. Its getting worse day by day to drive in Koramangala. So folks taking the Koramangala route today evening beware, check google maps before selecting your route home.
Old 1st September 2016, 13:58   #12537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Cannot fathom why the school bus drivers are drinking during the day.
Same here, either they drink early morning which is a surprise as I see some of the buses start from school at 6am to pick up the kids from far off places. Shouldn't the law and order police crack down on places selling alcohol that early in the morning?
Old 1st September 2016, 14:19   #12538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Thanks.

I logged the issue on BBMP sahaaya and was assigned an official and a docket number. Called the mobile number of the official and was told that apparently there is a cross drainage/culvert which runs across the road at that point and that it has been choked completely. They have apparently taken stock of the situation and would commence desilting soon.

Hope

I think it is working. Today I saw that there is some working happening in this place. They've put cement+stones to fill the potholes and also cordoned off some part of the road (maybe for digging/cleaning drains).
Old 1st September 2016, 14:52   #12539
Senior - BHPian

So guys, in the wake of the bandh tomorrow, and assuming that the petrol pumps will participate in the strike, just a gentle reminder to fill up your tanks today in case you are running low on fuel and planning for a long drive tomorrow.
Old 1st September 2016, 15:10   #12540
BHPian

Any idea if there would be protests, road blocks etc during tomorrow's strike? I have to travel to Tumkur tomorrow and hoping there are no rasta roko agitation on the way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks