Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2016, 12:53   #12631
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I had to drop my wife to her bank. I live close to Byappanahalli Metro and 2 sets of protesters - one near the back gate of the Metro and one near Old Madras Road, blocking all the way. I still managed to drive, took me about 10 minutes to reach Shantinagar!

By the time I was back - 9:15am, the Old Madras Road protest was over but very close to my home, near the back gate of the BYP Metro, roads were blocked and it seemed as if the goons were out in force to damage the vehicles, managed to drive away peacefully, while they continued blocking the Yellow Board vehicles. I hope things become normal by 6pm.

Funny thing, a cop stops me and says, its a Govt. holiday and actually asked my wife her id card, instead of helping us.

What is going on is sheer stupidity. I understand that Karnataka is getting hit by SC ruling, but to put public and private property in danger is just not on. I have seen this band politics time and again, at my home in Ranchi, and look where the state is. All politically motivated without an iota of brain. If the politicians were really interested in solving the issue, they would put their heads to it. This bandh gets us nowhere.
pratyush6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 13:14   #12632
BHPian

The below pictures are from Ecospace few hours back. Heard now that Rapid Action Force has been deployed to safeguard. Forwarding as received.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1473407033.543868.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1473407059.021164.jpg
Old 9th September 2016, 14:00   #12633
Senior - BHPian

I had been on a 2 hour drive in the city. Here are few updates as seen by me.

1. Big protest near townhall, KR market, Corporation circle and Mysore bank circle.
2. Police presence is huge in almost all parts of Bangalore. RAF personnel near golf course, Ulsoor, Outer ring road (near ecospace and bagmane tech parks).
3. People have burnt tyres in almost all areas of Bangalore. Dont know who are the poor souls who have lost their tyres today .
4. Sporadic violance along the route. First was near KR puram railway station where the youths asked me to stop and return. But did not do any harm. Later was not able to proceed towards whitefield as the flyover exit was blocked along ORR. So I had to go via some internal roads to reach near sakra hospital. Again there was some protest and more tyres burnt there.
5. People who are driving today are absolutely not aware of any rules. But again this protest itself has given them the power I guess. Even police are not stopping anyone today.
6. Couple of TN board vehicles stopped and was surrounded by auto drivers and few other protestors. No one was being harmed but they were shouting slogans surrounding the cars. I just pray and hope that the people are not harmed.
7. One good thing I saw was that the protestors were atleast humane enough to make way for ambulance.
8. Few protests in BTM (near A2B junction, AXA signal) and banashankari bus stand. There were no protests near Jayanagar, Basavanagudi.

Protest seems to be total though. I just saw only one petrol bunk near wipro sjp open but not sure till when it will be open. All the establishments, small shops, malls everything is closed. Could not see much Autos, cabs being there. Very few on road. Most of them might come on road later in the evening.

P.S : Don't ask why I was out riding. I could not resist the temptation of riding on empty roads today.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 9th September 2016 at 14:03.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 14:11   #12634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I had been on a 2 hour drive in the city. There were no protests near Jayanagar, Basavanagudi.

P.S : Don't ask why I was out riding. I could not resist the temptation of riding on empty roads today.
Don't think riding is a good choice today. I did so only because of compulsion.

One of my friends was works in a bank in Basavanagudi told me that their office was forcefully shut, he had to return back to home.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 14:52   #12635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Don't think riding is a good choice today. I did so only because of compulsion.
Agree. I still remember the times during the cine actor Dr.Rajkumar's kidnap saga, of my friends were badly hurt by rocks flung by insane hooligans.

Be very careful going out in your vehicle.
Old 9th September 2016, 15:25   #12636
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

So far I ve seen a few vehicles plying about in HSR layout. I ve only been out walking so far.

However, grace of God, HSR seems totally peaceful.

Last edited by SDP : 13th September 2016 at 14:23. Reason: Edited off-topic portion
Old 9th September 2016, 15:28   #12637
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend who works in an office in Koramangala had been to work this morning but there were a bunch of protesters outside their office and the management decided to close for the day, luckily no damage done.
Old 9th September 2016, 15:36   #12638
Senior - BHPian

Not seen too many vehicles today. I decided not to venture out. Occasionally saw some self proclaimed Kannada warriors and water protectors riding on bikes with Karnataka flags and shouting slogans. Their only duty was to close those shops which were open.
What a waste of money, time and productivity by calling a bandh. I see no way this bandh (or any bandh for that matter) can be called successful, especially when it results in the loss of livelihood for lakhs of daily bread earners.
As someone above commented, even I fail to see how this will generate water. Maybe a peaceful prayer to the rain gods may help.
Old 9th September 2016, 20:35   #12639
Senior - BHPian

All seems fine around Cambridge Road (Ulsoor), Indiranagar, MG Road, Airport Road, Koramangala.

We're able to comment online today, because someone is at their job, making the internet work, making electricity supply work. This violent outbreak is a show of power, not haplessness. If display of power worked against the Supreme Court, then the Indian Judiciary will lose relevance.

Believe it, it is sufficient to make our country lose ALOT of its credibility. We will look like an un-controllable, uncivilised & unstable society, and we'll lose the confidence thats being bestowed by the developed world upon our democracy whose majority population is <35.

Politicians will politicise & play with emotions for their votebank politics. The "filmstars" will go back into their cocoons & live safe, luxurious lives. You'll be left warring & agitating on the ground, or in the internet, with a tarnished image in society. Apart from the physical & emotional toll that it takes on you.

'Bandh' is a form of terrorism. Such vigilante groups, in its early stages, formed in the guise of 'helping' the society, came to become the Taliban. If we want to continue as a decent civilisation, we'll have to socially demonize such groups who make 'Bandh' calls.

I respect emotions of people who say that they may suffer due to water shortage, but unfortunately it's necessary that they be stoic at times, even if it's against their nature(sadly, yes). I know it's asking for too much. But it's necessary. For their own lives & their future. If there's an emergency, the government will have to come in. But at NO point, is one allowed to infringe upon the fundamental rights of others.

Sorry if this went too off-topic. Over & out.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 9th September 2016 at 21:02.
Old 9th September 2016, 21:28   #12640
BHPian

I pity the police personnel today. In addition to trying to contain vandalism through the day, they had to ensure that St. Mary's Feast went off without a hitch. Now I see them trying to manage the traffic and festive spirits of the Ganesh immersion processions as they wind their way through the guts of the Cantonment area to Ulsoor Lake.

Can't blame them if, at the end of the day today, they feel that they're tired parents herding a bunch of juvenile imbeciles on a particularly rough day - a BIG bunch.

Steer clear of the Cantonment area from Fraser Town to Ulsoor tonight. Hope sanity returns tomorrow.
BackInTheFold is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 06:50   #12641
Senior - BHPian

I was with my daughter at Kodihalli yesterday. I left around 5 pm on the Figo and reached Prestige Shantiniketan at Whitefield in 24 minutes!! Usually it takes 75 to 90 minutes to cover the 17 kms.
Old 10th September 2016, 09:59   #12642
Senior - BHPian

Folks, lets take this discussion about the merits and demerits of bandh in a seperate thread! Each person has his/her opinion about the necessity or not of the bandh. What may offend someone might not offend the people leading it. That is for a different thread and time. Lets keep this thread to what it is for and that is to discuss about the traffic in Bangalore!

Mods, suggest you to please help in this regard.

In the traffic news today, was surprised to see less traffic on the roads. Mostly either because many have taken off plus being second saturday many government offices, banks have off too. So I was able to reach office in Sarjapur from my home near lalbagh in flat 30 mins.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 17:35   #12643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post

To be fair, the Govt is not 'hapless', rather went against the common demand and released water unlike previous episodes where it had defaulted..!!
Mate, I do understand the problems faced by farmers on both the sides. To the best of my knowledge, only on one occasion did KA go against the supreme court verdict. That was way back in 1991 when Bangarappa was the CM. After that every other CM released water to TN.
Sometimes I feel it is better if the problem is handed over to the farmers union of both the states to arrive at a consensus on this issue rather than leave it to the politicians. After all a farmer understands another farmer very well.
Old 12th September 2016, 08:12   #12644
Distinguished - BHPian

*Looks like* a bus had broken down after phoenix market city when moving towards whitefield. Stick to the right lane after MC. Other than that, traffic density was on the higher side even in my 7AM commute. Guess the whole city is back to its heels after the long weekend.
Old 12th September 2016, 08:14   #12645
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please stick to the topic. Thanks
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed