Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2016, 10:39   #12796
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
In other Namma Metro related news, BMRCL's worst-kept secret is now officially out:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/54336613.cms

Kanakapura Road to KR Pura? We can look forward to it in AD 2030 or so.

One thing they ought to consider is to allow only 1 vehicle per 'x' sft of built-up area. And let there be audits/inspections on a daily basis.

Let the tech parks and the standalone buildings have a restricted number of vehicles they can host, which then they can auction off to tenants. I can see a good secondary market developing too. An economics-based solution to the ORR mess.
Wasn't this obvious that the November 1st deadline announced a few months was just a hoax? April too seems a bit stretched. June/July seems a more possible timeline for the Phase 1. Fingers tangled, not just crossed.
Old 15th September 2016, 11:03   #12797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
The big question mark is the two years time frame. Even land acquisition had not begun yet. ORR is very expensive real estate. It will take much much more than two years to build metro here. Even the flyovers took many years.
The flyovers did not use the pre-cast technology. They use the medians mostly for the lines and stations built over the roads (like some are built in the existing metro) would not require much real estate.

Service roads might get merged with the main ORR road since about 9 mts of space around medians would be taken over for erecting columns. They have learnt a lot and you can see that in the phase 2 extension happening on Mysuru road.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 11:08   #12798
BHPian

At places where the infra is yet to be rolled, i feel Sky trains offer lower footprint than the metro's.
Old 15th September 2016, 12:09   #12799
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic flow changes between CBI Junction (Mekhri Circle) and Hebbal flyover:

Latest tweet from BTP states that vehicles bound towards KR Puram & Tumkur need to take the service road at CBI Junction itself.

Looks like they have closed off all the intervening gaps between the service road (and the main carriageway) till Hebbal. Going to cause a mess till people realize it (especially Manyata-bound vehicles during evenings)
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-cbi.jpg  

Old 15th September 2016, 13:42   #12800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
At places where the infra is yet to be rolled, i feel Sky trains offer lower footprint than the metro's.
I just took a cursory look; SkyTrain seems to be simply the brand name for Vancouver metro and is not something totally different? Can you please elaborate on what the differences are and why one would be better for Bangalore than the other?

In any case from what I understand the metro has scraped up pretty much all available funds for public transport in Bangalore for the next several decades that no other project will be able to raise money. Even for the PRR, they expect NHAI to foot the full bill with no contribution from the state.
Old 15th September 2016, 13:53   #12801
BHPian

At this stage, is it not too late to switch between metro and sky train? Will sky train cost less than the metro? Can it carry as many people as metro? I think the Fo(a)rmer PM of India had suggested this once long back.
Old 15th September 2016, 14:18   #12802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
[b]

Looks like they have closed off all the intervening gaps between the service road (and the main carriageway) till Hebbal. Going to cause a mess till people realize it (especially Manyata-bound vehicles during evenings)
they had closed the gap immediately after CBI flyover couple of weeks ago. But the gaps before and after Hebbal bus stop were open. has that been closed now?
Old 15th September 2016, 14:35   #12803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just took a cursory look; SkyTrain seems to be simply the brand name for Vancouver metro and is not something totally different? Can you please elaborate on what the differences are and why one would be better for Bangalore than the other?

In any case from what I understand the metro has scraped up pretty much all available funds for public transport in Bangalore for the next several decades that no other project will be able to raise money. Even for the PRR, they expect NHAI to foot the full bill with no contribution from the state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
At this stage, is it not too late to switch between metro and sky train? Will sky train cost less than the metro? Can it carry as many people as metro? I think the Fo(a)rmer PM of India had suggested this once long back.

I guess what is mentioned as skytrain was for mono rail.

Mono rail is used in places where ridership is less, I remember earlier there was a discussion to have mono rail in Bangalore which will serve as feeder services for metro.

Mono rail feasablity study was done for smaller cities like Trivandrum and Calicut. However, I do not think there is work ongoing in any Indian city for mono rail.

Those against mono rail point out that internationally too, mono rail is not widely used.

In any case, for Bangalore for the corridors where metro is considered. I do not think ridership is going to be low. Silkboard - KR puram route has heavy density of vehicles including bulk of BMTC volvos.

Regarding shortage of funds, this is the case with almost all infrastructure projects in India. Again, I do not think KA government is in shortage as of funds as they want us to believe. For example, as per current estimates Silkboard - KR Puram (18 KMs) metro is supposed to cost Rs 3500 Crore. However, a 6.75 KM steel bridge on Bellary road from Basaveswara circle till Hebbal has been goverments pet project. This is supposed to cost Rs 1400 crore. This inspite of ressitance from urban planners questioning logic in making a bridge and shifting the traffic congestion instead of going for metro connectivity till airport.

For those intrested, you can find the wishlist of metro coverage here.

I am mentioning it as wishlist since these are just in various levels of discussion and may not see implementation also.
Old 15th September 2016, 15:00   #12804
BHPian

Quote:
A very sensible decision. Also they should close the u-turn which is there between Mekhri circle and CBI junction. This is a very congested junction where 4 lanes of traffic merge into 2 lanes with vehicles criss-crossing. Utter chaos!!!

Erecting the foot over-bridge at Esteem mall will also help in reducing the jam on Hebbal flyover to a very large extent.
Old 15th September 2016, 15:25   #12805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
However, I do not think there is work ongoing in any Indian city for mono rail.
Mumbai has a functioning monorail line between Chembur and Jacob Circle (but yes, MMRDA has paused the rest of the project).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 15:27   #12806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Also they should close the u-turn which is there between Mekhri circle and CBI junction. This is a very congested junction where 4 lanes of traffic merge into 2 lanes with vehicles criss-crossing. Utter chaos!!!
The one opposite Shell bunk? That's there for the people wanting to go into Sanjaynagar from Hebbal side. Without that 'U' you will pushing the guys wanting to turn into Sanjaynagar upto Mekhri Cirle up on the overbridge signal which is already a huge choke point.

Actually for going to Sanjaynagar from Hebbal you really don't have to do upto Gangenahalli. Just after coming down from Hebbal flyover take a U turn onto service road and go under the fyover into Sanjaynagar from the back side. They can probably close that U in front of Shell by putting up a huge board 'Exit to Sanjayangar here' just after Hebbal flyover.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 16:08   #12807
BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

There is a proposal to convert roads around agara lake to one way that HSR Traffic Police is working with citizens on.

Courtesy: HSR Citizen Forum FB page
Attached Images

Last edited by chakri400 : 15th September 2016 at 16:28.
chakri400 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 16:34   #12808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The one opposite Shell bunk? That's there for the people wanting to go into Sanjaynagar from Hebbal side. Without that 'U' you will pushing the guys wanting to turn into Sanjaynagar upto Mekhri Cirle up on the overbridge signal which is already a huge choke point.
This is a daily travel route for me and most of the time in peak traffic hours the u-turn is barricaded. If the cops don't want people turning during peak hours, why can't they remove the u-turn completely and add another lane for traffic to flow from mekhri circle to hebbal flyover?

They have done this with the Cauvery theatre magic box, where they have closed an entire road. And the flow is much more smooth now.
Old 15th September 2016, 17:03   #12809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Latest tweet from BTP states that vehicles bound towards KR Puram & Tumkur need to take the service road at CBI Junction itself.

Clarification: when I passed that way around 4, the new traffic flow was not yet in force. Maybe they will do it only during peak hours?

The board at CBI Junction was also much too small to be read!

Last edited by itwasntme : 15th September 2016 at 17:04.
Old 15th September 2016, 17:43   #12810
BHPian

Quote:
SkyTrain seems to be simply the brand name for Vancouver metro and is not something totally different? Can you please elaborate on what the differences are and why one would be better for Bangalore than the other?

I read that they could attach 4 coaches too, while you see 2 in this video. The physical footprint is much lesser & with lower footprint, the infra cost is less too.
m3_07 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks