Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2016, 11:35   #12916
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Also, I have a suggestion for people in general (not just Blr) - Most of our problems on road exist because we don't set our expectations right. I mean, I should know that if I leave late, there is going to be more vehicles - implying more monkeys on the road and hence I should expect more circus on the road. And there is no point trying to fight it.
Precisely! I have stopped ranting much now, stopped losing patience and stopped being overly bothered if I get stuck in a jam durin my commute to work.

Instead, I have adapted to timings that allow me to drive in peace. I start at 0630am from Vidyaranyapura and reach EC Phase 1 at 0720am. That's 50 minutes for a commute of 35 Kms in which 9.5 kms is an elevated corridor that is done in under 6 minutes while I myself wait at each and every traffic light - 19 Signals of which barely 2-3 are not functional during that time.
  • BEL Circle, Kuvempu Circle, New BEL Road, Ramaiah College, Sadashivnagar Police Station, Mekhri Circle, Palace Guthalli, High Grounds, Raj Bhavan, Minsk Square, JDP, Tiffany's Junction, Richmond Circle, Langford Road, Hockey Stadium, Anepalya, Adugodi, Forum, St. Johns

• I make it a point to leave before I get greeted by company buses throughout my route. I mostly catch a few only around Adugodi till Silk Board - Avoiding these buses make your drive even more soothing and less stressful

• Early mornings, I used to drive out via Hebbal but noticed Airport Cabs, Hyderabad Return Private Buses and BMTC Buses creating snarls at times and as well driving like crazy from Hebbal all the way till Raj Bhavan - I started avoiding them too and took internal route to touch Mekhri circle directly via BEL and Sadashivnagar

• On BETL the only buses I encounter are Siemens and TVS Motors and no one else except very few cars - Helps me clear the toll booth at Phase 1 in a jiffy too

• I park my car at work in the same location that I prefer - No tensions there as well

• During return, I am now totally avoiding the city route- Instead, I leave at 3PM, take NICE till PESIT and then drive on ORR all the way signal free till Tumkur Road, make U Turn under NBTL and reach home via Platinum City and Jalahalli - Distance during return is now 49 kms

• Even when I am returning via NICE, I wait till Siemens, Infy and other company buses pass - I usually know their timings. They can give you nasty experiences on the NICE road as many know

• My daily commute has now increased from earlier 70 kms to 85 kms. 15 Kms added.

• While onward journey takes 50 minutes, the return if done before 5PM takes anything between 65-75 minutes or max 90-100 minutes otherwise for a distance of 49 kms, What more can one ask for?

• Toll expenses which was only 65 INR before is now 45+115 INR which is 160 Bucks

• My overall Fuel Efficiency is now at least 18 KMPL (anything above is Bonus) which otherwise was between 15-16 KMPL

• I am sure my ankles, brake pads, clutch will complain less too apart from the fact that I may spend not more than 1200-1500 over the city route but still gain a lot every month

Quote:
Switch on some nice music or a podcast and drive in a lane. Don't look at your watch and you will be just fine. Worrying, cribbing, fighting is only going to make your day worse. At the end of that drive you would find a bit more peace, I do.Cheers!
Absolutely. It makes a lot of difference. Also, there will be one day when you realise there is simply no point in cribbing or ranting but just adjust with whatever options you can try and trust me, they not only work but they benefit you as well.

Bottomline - If you want to have a peaceful commute driving/riding yourself, adapt to flexi timings if your organization allows and the aim is not really to avoid traffic but to avoid unruly drivers around who you often meet mainly when traffic is thick and each one is losing their temper and driving like maniacs. Very early in the morning, these maniacs are mostly brushing their teeth.

Last edited by paragsachania : 29th September 2016 at 12:02.
paragsachania is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 18:24   #12917
Senior - BHPian

At the risk on getting condored by IronH4WK I post this:

Quote:
If you all consider this as growth, come to NCR, you will experience the spectacular growth the city has seen in last few years. In last four years my office commutation time has gone up from one hour to four hours. I am not complaining about it. For me these four hours are hassle free sleeping time in office cabs where neither your boss at office or home can assign you any work.
http://www.fakingnews.firstpost.com/...of-growth-9978
Old 2nd October 2016, 06:21   #12918
BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Not a Rant - Just sharing my experience:

In one sentence - Set your expectations right and you would do fine.

Cheers!
Very well said. A tip that works like a charm for me: Turn on google maps and it will tell you, almost exactly, the ETA. After a few trips, you will realise no matter what you do, you cannot beat the Google time. That realisation really helps set expectations early in the trip and soothe some nerves while on the road.
chakri400 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 14:34   #12919
Senior - BHPian

Agreed with the most recent comments. That there is no point in increasing our own B.P due to the traffic problems. Plan the journey timings, account the time lost at traffic blocks in all the plans; that is all what we can do. But sooner or later, I am sure all of us would think "are all these efforts worth what we get in return??". Long term solution for Bangalore is always de-congestion of the city. Whether this happens naturally (people just move away from Bangalore, or stop coming here) or through government action; I cannot predict that .
Old 3rd October 2016, 09:04   #12920
Distinguished - BHPian

Double road flyover seems to be open, but the morons who did the work think that their job is only to lay the flyover and close the job. As if levelling their layer of tar with the existing tar on the base of the ramps was not included in the job description. Now the result is, enjoy a beautiful drive on the flyover, and get greeted with a bad thud before getting on and while getting off the flyover.

And poor job near the expansion joints too. Like I told, common sense is zero
Old 3rd October 2016, 09:11   #12921
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Double road flyover seems to be open, but the morons who did the work think that their job is only to lay the flyover and close the job. As if levelling their layer of tar with the existing tar on the base of the ramps was not included in the job description. Now the result is, enjoy a beautiful drive on the flyover, and get greeted with a bad thud before getting on and while getting off the flyover.

Hebbal flyover too is weirdly done, the joints are deeper than the road level and a solid thud at each joint is guaranteed. Though the road is smooth, the thud every 100 ft or so is very irritating. When it say thud you get to hear it pretty much aloud (even though my Linea suspension is pretty quiet, the joints ensure it makes a proper thud sound)
Old 3rd October 2016, 10:00   #12922
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe a little off-topic, saw a news item in the paper indicating the start of the 'NA' series for private cars under the KA-03 RTO. Article was on the start of auction for numbers in this series. So looks like the M[A-Z]-xxxx series is getting over in several RTO's (Main ones I think are KA 03 and KA 01). We seem to have run through M[A-Z] pretty quickly- An indicator as to the rate at which vehicles are getting added into our Roads.

Just a refresher. Private car registrations in KA follow the KA xx-M-xxxx and then N, P, M[A-Z] series and then N[A-Z].

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 3rd October 2016 at 10:02.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 10:18   #12923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
We seem to have run through M[A-Z] pretty quickly- An indicator as to the rate at which vehicles are getting added into our Roads.

Had to happen. KA 01 is behind still at MN coming to MP. KA03 is at MY while KA05 is close to it at MU. KA04 and KA02 is behind at MS and ML respectively. However, the actual rate at which these series had to be advanced was reduced due to the introduction of more RTOs a few years back. This has split the new vehicle registrations into more RTOs, which were only five earlier. Now we also have KA41 and KA51 to share Bangalore South vehicles, KA50 and KA52 for north Bangalore, and KA53 to handle the load in the Whitefield, KR Puram area.

If not for these additional RTOs, probably we would have seen KA 03 PA or KA 05 PA by now.

Even so for the two wheelers at a faster rate. I guess we will have KA 05 KA series coming, if they allow such a combination.

Trivia: When we got our Omni in 2003, We started with KA05MA. Then in 2009, our SX4 got KA05MG. That is roughly 7 series in 6 years. When I got my Celerio recently, it was KA05MT, which is 13 series in 7 years. The rate has doubled, even if we consider the additional RTOs.

Last edited by audioholic : 3rd October 2016 at 10:21.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 10:28   #12924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Hebbal flyover too is weirdly done, the joints are deeper than the road level and a solid thud at each joint is guaranteed. Though the road is smooth, the thud every 100 ft or so is very irritating. When it say thud you get to hear it pretty much aloud (even though my Linea suspension is pretty quiet, the joints ensure it makes a proper thud sound)
The flyovers on the ORR also have the same problems. Remember a lady who lost her life, the same place again has a big ditch (not a pothole).

Your vehicle just oscillates front and back on most of the joints. They need to atleast put tar since the fast work (for them !) has resulted in substandard surface.
Old 3rd October 2016, 13:03   #12925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had to happen. KA 01 is behind still at MN coming to MP. KA03 is at MY while KA05 is close to it at MU. KA04 and KA02 is behind at MS and ML respectively. However, the actual rate at which these series had to be advanced was reduced due to the introduction of more RTOs a few years back.
Well, I did some research and here is the result.

This data is regarding the days it takes to complete a series for LMV-Car. Haven't calculated 2 Wheelers data yet.

Below is the RTO and days it takes to complete Series

KA 01 (Koramangala) - 9 to 11 months
KA 02 (Rajaji Nagar) - 12 months
KA 03 (Indira Nagar) - 4 to 5 months
KA 04 (Yeshwantpur) - 6 to 8 months
KA 05 (Jayanagar) - 5 to 6 months
KA 41 (Jnana Bharathi) - 18 to 24 months
KA 50 (Yelahanka) - 24 to 36 months
KA 51 (Electronic City) - 7 to 9 months
KA 53 (K R Puram) - 7 to 12 months.

The timeline has been calculated based on number of vehicles registered per day. This might vary depending on season. Festive Season = More Cars, Rainy Season = Less Cars.

Barring Bangalore, some other cities in Karnataka have also been listed below

KA 09 (MYSORE) - 22 to 25 months
KA 14 (SHIMOGA) - 30 to 40 months
KA 17 (DAVANGERE) - 28 to 38 months
KA 20 (UDUPI) - 22 to 25 months
KA 22 (BELGAUM) - 24 to 36 months
KA 25 (DHARWAD) - 22 to 23 months.
KA 32 (GULBURGA) - 26 to 38 months.

Thanks
Cheers.
CarguyNish is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 13:56   #12926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Well, I did some research and here is the result.

This data is regarding the days it takes to complete a series for LMV-Car. Haven't calculated 2 Wheelers data yet.

Below is the RTO and days it takes to complete Series

KA 01 (Koramangala) - 9 to 11 months
KA 02 (Rajaji Nagar) - 12 months
KA 03 (Indira Nagar) - 4 to 5 months
KA 04 (Yeshwantpur) - 6 to 8 months
KA 05 (Jayanagar) - 5 to 6 months
KA 41 (Jnana Bharathi) - 18 to 24 months
KA 50 (Yelahanka) - 24 to 36 months
KA 51 (Electronic City) - 7 to 9 months
KA 53 (K R Puram) - 7 to 12 months.
In addition the list of RTOs in bangalore, here are some more that are yet to open

KA58 - Banashankari
KA59 - Chamarajpet
KA60 - R T Nagar
KA61 - Marathahalli
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 15:25   #12927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I agree the thuds are really jarring. That being said, try the left lane on the flyover going towards the airport. The thuds are much lesser than the right lane
Old 3rd October 2016, 16:20   #12928

Richmond flyover work has finally been completed, what a relief, it was such a pain to commute using alternate roads to office everyday. There was very less traffic on the stretch as vehicles moved quickly over the newly laid surface.
On other days and before the flyover was fixed the traffic used to pile up from Hopcoms on Hosur road till half way through the flyover.
This proves that good roads can still partly solve the traffic problems in Bengaluru as we can move faster instead of struggling to gain momentum on the potholes ridden roads.
schakra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 19:35   #12929
BHPian

Does the current Cauvery stalemate mean that we cannot travel to Hosur to buy crackers this Diwali ? What are the alternatives if this drive is not recommended ?
Old 3rd October 2016, 20:37   #12930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Does the current Cauvery stalemate mean that we cannot travel to Hosur to buy crackers this Diwali ? What are the alternatives if this drive is not recommended ?
Park the car at the border and hop into a TN Bus or walk towards plethora of shops right after the border. Easier that way. Have noticed that these shops are situated super close to the border as well.

Also, these shopkeepers are there for business and loads of it comes from the other side of the border every year. I doubt if they would want to shoo you away or create trouble, all in the interest of Business.

May be take along someone with you who can share the "burden" or all the shopping that you do .

Last edited by SDP : 4th October 2016 at 07:17. Reason: typo
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks