Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2017, 12:47   #13501
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Drove to Manipal County last evening and traffic around Indiranagar-Koramangala ensured that we took 1 hr 45 minutes to reach the venue. Escaped main road madness by venturing into a not-so-familiar route from inside HSR layout and instead of exiting at Kudlu signal, ended up at Hosa Road signal
But no major loss of time due to traffic jams on narrow roads, luckily.

On the return, it was past 10:15pm, so decided to stick to Hosur Road and it was crazy

The Bommanahalli signal itself took more than 15 minutes to negotiate, then traffic came to a complete standstill before Silk Board where the BETL down ramp merges.

Took the service road on left, but I made one silly mistake - instead of turning right towards HSR, turned left towards BTM and it took ages to get to Udupi Garden signal and then to get past Maruti Nagar (road beside BP petrol bunk/A2B) and reach St. Johns Hospital junction on Hosur Road.
Ended up with a 2 hour journey back home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Turn right, keep following the lunar surface and you will reach Manipal County.
No lunar surface here, the road is very good. @theexperthand told me it was widended and patched up not too long ago.

Last edited by NPV : 4th February 2017 at 12:52.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 03:01   #13502
JD1
BHPian

Looks like flipflop with Marathahalli-Old Airport Road/ORR junction continues. This will be effective from Sunday 5-Feb per Twitter post. It's going to get ugly at the new VIMS u-turn.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-orr.jpg  

JD1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 08:14   #13503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
On the return, it was past 10:15pm, so decided to stick to Hosur Road and it was crazy
Glad that I exited this club more than a year before. Else I left EC at 10:00 PM and was always in for a surprise right at the descent of BETL ramp all the way till I crossed the St. John's Junction. I used to wonder - Leaving at 10PM also is too early?

And to add to this, by the time I used to reach Hebbal, It was easily 11:00 and I had to start driving with all Hyderabad Bound buses right from Windsor Manor itself!

Quote:
The Bommanahalli signal itself took more than 15 minutes to negotiate, then traffic came to a complete standstill before Silk Board where the BETL down ramp merges.
Absolutely. The mayhem continues even today - For those wanting to take left and those wanting to take the Silkboard Flyover and head towards Forum. And with traffic made 2 way between Madiwala Check Post and Madiwala Police Station, it has become worse, thanks to all the private buses that stop between these 2 points as their starting points. Things were better when this was one way.

BETL, despite of those crawls in the end still helps one bypass 4 signals underneath but you get stuck right after you descend from it -Where many lanes merge and many cut across from left to right and right to left to head either to Silkboard or BTM - Not to forget the fact that the traffic will have all assortments - Trucks, Buses, Cars, Tech Company cabs (Shifts ending after 10:00PM) etc. Glad I permanently moved to a different timezone to avoid this and of course a different route to reach home via NICE and ORR.

Imagine taking 55-65 minutes for a commute of 49 kms one way even if I left between 3:00 & 5:00 PM! That's fantastic I would say - touchwood!!
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 08:28   #13504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Glad that I exited this club more than a year before. Else I left EC at 10:00 PM and was always in for a surprise right at the descent of BETL ramp all the way till I crossed the St. John's Junction. I used to wonder - Leaving at 10PM also is too early?
I once had this experience too Left office at 10PM after an event and then got stuck on top of the underpass before St. Johns College junction at 10:40PM thanks to numerous buses parked as if they owned the road. The near four lanes of the road had turned to one, and they had completely blocked the service road on top of the underpass. Learnt my lesson that day and never entered the silk board/madivala area after 3PM in the afternoon ever after.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 08:31   #13505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
BETL, despite of those crawls in the end still helps one bypass 4 signals underneath but you get stuck right after you descend from it -Where many lanes merge and many cut across from left to right and right to left to head either to Silkboard or BTM
To top it all, they have dug up the road just ahead of the point where the BETL merges - building a skywalk, from the look of it. Last week it took me 30 minutes to get off BETL and to go under the flyover to take the ORR - at 6:45 AM. All buses simply stop wherever they are to let people out. Autos and cabs then try to get the custom of those who disembark from these buses. Complete chaos, with zero presence of BTP.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 08:37   #13506
Distinguished - BHPian

Seeing all the new traffic arrangements by BTP and the many new U-turns created (Hosur road service road junctions, now maarathahalli bridge), I now understand how the city of Bengaluru got its name

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-bengaluru.jpg

Jokes apart, The other day a colleague and I were discussing during our commute to office that there closing of service roads, making service roads also a one-way traffic, creation of u turns don't work in the ideal world. But because of our indisciplined driving habits, these things actually seem to work! Hosur road junctions have been less mad recently and signals can be crossed easily now. Atleast from Bommanahalli to Bommasandra, this is what I've observed

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 6th February 2017 at 08:48.
hemanth.anand is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 11:14   #13507
Senior - BHPian

Today seems to be a very bad Monday morning!! On my way to office it self came to know that Kundalahalli, Airport Road and Marathahalli were having traffic jams. As soon as I crossed Gunjur village, I could see vehicles queuing up. At once, I knew Varthur village/town is a in a big mess today. Did a quick U turn, and then checked Google Maps. Deep red, all the way 1/2 a k.m before Varthur, to Varthur Kodi and beyond. Then it was for time for me to do a Karnataka Darshan, and I drove through the interior roads. Reached the office parking lot by around 1050Hrs. A colleague who comes by bus on the same route reached office 10 mins after me. That is when his bus left EC at around 0730Hrs!!

The reason for the jam on this route? Varthur has its daily market operating today, people are out there on the roads in large numbers and the narrow roads are all clogged. Varthur is one place which is still in the 1990s, and even the attitude of the people out there seems to be reflecting that. Markets right there on the main road, and people crossing the road when ever and where ever they feel like.
Old 7th February 2017, 09:50   #13508
Distinguished - BHPian

So the Marathahalli signal experiment has ended. Median has been closed and right turns blocked. This has freed up the straight moving traffic on both sides. Folks needing to go right either towards kr puram or towards silk board have to revert to the old circus.

With this change, kundanahalli gate is starting to regain its lost glory.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 09:58   #13509
BHPian

Stationary traffic between AECS layout and all the way to Graphite India on ITPL road. Use alternative road wherever possible.
Old 7th February 2017, 10:04   #13510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Nothing new about it may be, it is world's slowest junction!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/56991915.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-silk.jpg  

LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 12:08   #13511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
Stationary traffic between AECS layout and all the way to Graphite India on ITPL road. Use alternative road wherever possible.
Isn't that a daily occurrence? I found traffic almost at a standstill whenever I used that road during my stint in Bangalore last year. However, things used to get better after 11 am.
Old 8th February 2017, 07:45   #13512
BHPian

Accident between i20 and city bus near Innovative multiplex towards KR Puram side lane. Traffic piled up till More Megastore. Bonnet of i20 has caved in and city bus rear has minor sheet metal mangled.
bhandary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 11:46   #13513
BHPian

Slightly .

If you experience frequent punctures on ring road, that is because angel who used to prevent it is leaving town- further reading.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 13:40   #13514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Looks like flipflop with Marathahalli-Old Airport Road/ORR junction continues. This will be effective from Sunday 5-Feb per Twitter post. It's going to get ugly at the new VIMS u-turn.
Wonder where BTP gets these billion dollar ideas to mess traffic up.. The new U turn created opposite VIMS hospital is so dangerous it is a matter of time before someone rear-ends a vehicle that has suddenly braked because of someone taking a U turn. No real markers to indicate there is a U turn and vehicles suddenly brake at that point. Seriously a bunch of monkeys can manage traffic better than the men in khaki and white.

I travel 30 kms on ORR every day and the easiest way to manage traffic is regulate the BMTC buses - ensure the bus stops are not at the beginning / end of a flyover and make sure they stop / drive only on the leftmost lane and the ORR will be a bliss. But the BTP are mute spectators and do nothing to stop this, but are more than eager to sit with a speedgun during off peak hours at the end of the Marathahalli underpass to jump in front of a car / bike and demand their "hafta" !

Last edited by navin : 8th February 2017 at 15:18. Reason: toned down the language
aroonanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 16:01   #13515
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, AeroIndia 2017 is back and so are the nincompoops!

Be very very careful driving around Yelahanka and Bellary Road because people are simply stopping in the middle of the road to watch. I narrowly missed a cabbie who had slowed down to 5 km/hr to gape.

Also these are the show timings. Unless you're coming to watch the show, totally avoid. Last year was chaotic!

https://www.aeroindia.in/GeneralVisitorLandingPage.aspx

TIMINGS FOR GENERAL VISITORS :
February 14, 2017 1300 hrs to 1700 hrs
February 15, 2017 0900 hrs to 1700 hrs
February 16, 2017 0900 hrs to 1700 hrs
February 17, 2017 0900 hrs to 1700 hrs
February 18, 2017 0900 hrs to 1700 hrs

Last edited by itwasntme : 8th February 2017 at 16:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks