Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2017, 12:25   #13741
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

A minor sadistic streak in me would love to see all offenders lined up in court wasting their 'precious' time, but that would mean our already sagging legal system will probably collapse altogether, given both the already pending caseload and the huge inflow these offences would bring.

Petty fines hurt more than they help the cause, but there's really no alternative except setting up specific benches to handle traffic offences.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th March 2017 at 12:27.
Old 15th March 2017, 13:36   #13742
Senior - BHPian

Today budget for Karnataka is being tabled and there are few Bangalore traffic specific initiatives announced. Few of the highlights (related only to traffic and vehicles)

1. For decongestion of traffic in Bengaluru city, PWD to develop 150 km road through K'taka Road development corporation at a cost of Rs 1455 crore.

2. With the controversial steel bridge shelved, budget proposes widening of Hebbal flyover and construction of an under bridge at a cost of Rs 88 crore.

3. BMTC to induct 3000 more buses, out of which 150 will be run on electricity, 50 electric buses for Mysuru.

4. High end motorbikes, above Rs 1 lakh, to become expensive as MVT increased to 18 per cent from 12 per cent.

Hope to see at least 1 and 3 being implemented after having some proper planning else it would be a waste. Not sure how point 2 would be implemented.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 15th March 2017 at 13:38.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 13:40   #13743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
If they just install high speed cameras mounted on all Traffic Signals to auto-click violators who cut the red signal and drive through that will be a continuous stream of revenue.

Wonder why they do not do this. If you observe closely there are 2 wheelers and cabs that simply disregard the signals at smaller junctions and drive through out of turn.
Automated ticketing systems that were in use in some part of Israel, were pulled off duty because they did not discriminate between 'VIP' offenders and the rest. [Sorry, I can't find the article - or maybe I read it on a dead tree display]
Old 15th March 2017, 13:52   #13744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Today budget for Karnataka ...

3. BMTC to induct 3000 more buses, out of which 150 will be run on electricity, 50 electric buses for Mysuru.
Hope to see at least 1 and 3 being implemented ...

"Electric buses" - meaning overpriced battery powered vehicles. I wonder why they don't want the much, much cheaper Trolley Buses. Laying overhead lines would not cost much and the investment could be recouped with cheaper trolley buses and lower pollution; not to mention that trolley buses could be manufactured right here without any 'phoren' tech and lithium imports.

mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 13:59   #13745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
"Electric buses" - meaning overpriced battery powered vehicles. I wonder why they don't want the much, much cheaper Trolley Buses. Laying overhead lines would not cost much and the investment could be recouped with cheaper trolley buses and lower pollution; not to mention that trolley buses could be manufactured right here without any 'phoren' tech and lithium imports.
Good Idea. But then they would be suitable only on roads like ORR. Even there with flyovers coming between, it will be a challenge to lay the electric lines. As a forethought it will be good rather than our knee jerk afterthoughts.
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 14:24   #13746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Then a certain truck driver will enter the city with his truck overloaded to 2X height and rip the wires, electrocute the people around, set his bus on fire and go absconding

On a serious note, until they can impose height restrictions on vehicles entering the city, this wont work. I have seen these buses in the city of Ulm, Germany and the height of the cables restricts anything taller than the bus to ply inside these areas. Else it is a huge risk in a country like ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
What was the language used during this yelling match? In India, to be honest it is the middle class who gets s-hafted. The rich has too much money to spare, so are not bothered about violating any rule. The poor (and the so-called oppressed) on the other hand has nothing to lose and can get into incessant yelling and claiming that they are "poor" & "oppressed" (which is a license to do any crime). The amount of non-sense the police in India has to tolerate is mind boggling. If it was some other country this couple would be low sitting inside a lock up in their undies.

Does Jaya Nagar RTO also issue the registration numbers for say BMTC or KSRTC buses? Well in that case the offences on this RTO number would be more, because such vehicles are more on the roads? Or else we may need to check if there are too many Taxi/Yellow board vehicles getting registered there.

And KA05 vehicles are not getting charged from Jaya Nagar area alone (to conclude that there are more constables in that area). It is just that the maximum vehicles getting caught seems to be registered with this RTO.
Exactly why I was a little disappointed seeing so many offences from KA05 vehicles. And no, KA05 as far as I know doesnt register buses. Moreover, this list released doesnt contain any numbers from the F series which are meant for BMTC and KSRTC. Most of the bangalore buses are registered under KA01F - KA01F* and recently I am seeing KA57F for the new buses.

Regarding the language, it was kannada itself. However, whereas the cops were addressing the couple with respect(plural), the disgusting couple were addressing the cops in singular. Ideally, they should have been taught a strict lesson, but not sure what happened later apart from the fine.

Last edited by audioholic : 15th March 2017 at 14:29.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 15:12   #13747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Today budget for Karnataka is being tabled and there are few Bangalore traffic specific initiatives announced. Few of the highlights (related only to traffic and vehicles)

1. For decongestion of traffic in Bengaluru city, PWD to develop 150 km road through K'taka Road development corporation at a cost of Rs 1455 crore.

2. With the controversial steel bridge shelved, budget proposes widening of Hebbal flyover and construction of an under bridge at a cost of Rs 88 crore.

4. High end motorbikes, above Rs 1 lakh, to become expensive as MVT increased to 18 per cent from 12 per cent.

Hope to see at least 1 and 3 being implemented after having some proper planning else it would be a waste. Not sure how point 2 would be implemented.
The budget should have also mentioned about how to expand the city railway station so that there is place to start suburban train services. Apart from Baiyappanahalli, i feel there is need to expand Yelahanka railway station to cater to the needs of north bound trains.
Old 16th March 2017, 09:06   #13748
BHPian

I crossed the tin factory junction around 8 40 am and there is bunch of traffic policemen standing on watch. Pillion riders without helmets, trucks or vans with load are easy catch for the young officers. Hope they don't divert big trucks and cripple the already slow moving traffic.
Old 16th March 2017, 09:15   #13749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
I crossed the tin factory junction around 8 40 am and there is bunch of traffic policemen standing on watch. Pillion riders without helmets, trucks or vans with load are easy catch for the young officers. Hope they don't divert big trucks and cripple the already slow moving traffic.
In my morning commute, I passed through seven spots where there was rigorous checking going on. It was a shock for me since usually I have rarely seen cops early in the morning unless there was a VIP movement

Maybe due to that or not, but though I left half hour late to work from house, I still took almost the same time to reach office. At each checking point, there were at least three cops and some constables.
Old 16th March 2017, 09:45   #13750
Distinguished - BHPian

Noticed strict checking at multiple points including at signals where I have never seen policeman. They are also merrily taking pictures of any vehicles even marginally across the stop-line. Suggest everyone watch the signal timers and caution lights with caution before crossing intersections.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 10:06   #13751
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Noticed strict checking at multiple points including at signals where I have never seen policeman.
This morning as early as 8am, team of cops on Inner Ring Road soon as you descend the flyover from Indiranagar side, also wielding cameras.
They had stopped couple of cabs and a 2 wheeler.

Also, the Cash Pharmacy junction on Residency Road has been marked the criss-cross yellow lines to demarcate the area where no vehicles should stop. Idea is to pass over that section of the junction only if one can safely cross the junction. A good move I think

Last edited by NPV : 16th March 2017 at 10:11.
Old 16th March 2017, 11:38   #13752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
I crossed the tin factory junction around 8 40 am and there is bunch of traffic policemen standing on watch. Pillion riders without helmets, trucks or vans with load are easy catch for the young officers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In my morning commute, I passed through seven spots where there was rigorous checking going on. ... At each checking point, there were at least three cops and some constables.
Quote:
Noticed strict checking at multiple points including at signals where I have never seen policeman. They are also merrily taking pictures of any vehicles even marginally across the stop-line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This morning as early as 8am, team of cops on Inner Ring Road soon as you descend the flyover from Indiranagar side, also wielding cameras.
The Traffic Police have launched some thing known as "0 tolerance junctions". Each Traffic Police Inspector have identified certain junctions in his jurisdiction which would see heavy traffic law enforcement. Looks like there have been increase in the strength of traffic police men after lots of new recruits have joined the force. This for sure has been launched in the East and Central Traffic Police Divisions (under East DCP). Don't know if such schemes have been launched in the South, West & North Divisions (which comes under another DCP).
Old 16th March 2017, 11:56   #13753
Distinguished - BHPian

Better bookmark this link on your laptops / mobile devices AND check it weekly!

http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...neDetails.aspx

I suddenly found a 100 buck fine for 'stopping on zebra crossing' - I am usually very very careful but have zero recollection of the incident. Plus it is very difficult to isolate and identify the situation later.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 12:25   #13754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Better bookmark this link on your laptops / mobile devices AND check it weekly!

http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...neDetails.aspx

I suddenly found a 100 buck fine for 'stopping on zebra crossing' - I am usually very very careful but have zero recollection of the incident. Plus it is very difficult to isolate and identify the situation later.
Thanks for sharing. I see a pending no parking fine on one of my cars from a year ago. Any idea how to pull details of the fine to get the location etc?

Btw I once got a fine for stopping on zebra crossing. Was sent a camera image as proof of my violation.
Old 16th March 2017, 12:46   #13755
BHPian

I just checked out that website. Entered the details of my car. I have two separate notices, both on the same date at exactly the same time for driving on a footpath! total fine 200rs. There are two more fines - one for jumping a signal and one for waiting on top of the zebra crossing.

There is no mention of location or any photographic evidence. I've received a challan once with photo proof for overshooting the signal, why can't they do something similar for this?

While I doubt the signal jumping violation - I never jump signals, even in the dead of the night, it may be that I might have taken a left where there was no free left or something of the sort. Likewise for the overshooting bit. But I'm completely confident I have never driven my car on top of a footpath!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks