Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2017, 13:58   #13876
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Many of us may not know this. NECE (Outer Ring Road) is like a big private road with even the NHAI not having any powers on that stretch.....
I was aware of that but until a couple years ago, their private patrol jeeps used to do rounds, asking people to park in proper places away from the active highway, and giving squatters the move-on. It's just a free-for-all now, with all sorts of idiocy going on on the road and in the bushes.
Old 17th April 2017, 15:09   #13877
BHPian

I realized traffic in our country is so bad after my trip last week to Bali. Bali is notorious for bad traffic and foreigners will warn you to not to attempt to drive yourself and get a driver. But still went ahead and rented a car thinking if I can handle India and Bangalore it should not be too bad. It turns out I was 100% right. It was a breeze handling the Bali roads. Traffic definitely becomes dense in peak times in city areas and there are huge number of 2 wheelers like here. But I never sweated out in handling any of it. Few things I noted.

1. Roads even though they are narrow in lot of parts are cleaner and well marked. Roads probably are at par with Goa here. Places like Malaysia and Thailand have much better roads.
2. People in general especially cars will follow lane discipline. Occasional bikes will rush here and there but nothing extreme. Yes there were even bikes using footpaths in some very narrow roads but it was somehow more orderly.
3. Best part I liked were slower vehicles keeping to the left. This is worst part of driving on even great roads in India. This makes driving on big highways a pleasure.
4. People are just less aggressive drivers. They will allow someone else to go and not everyone is in a tearing hurry. This really helps even when there are traffic jams. I am coming to believe we do have the worst drivers in our country.

This is not even the most developed country to compare against. Everything is very comparable to India. Rest of the world is expected to be much better.
neeravnaik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 15:19   #13878
BHPian

I see Intel is now having a large new parking lot behind Novotel.
Go in the lane leading to Sakara and continue about 500 mts beyond

Good Strategy to beat the blues of the service road on this side.
Old 17th April 2017, 15:39   #13879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Manyata is heading the Freakospace way as well. I've seen this tech park deteriorate since late 2012.

Yes, there is another gate from the back that links close to Elements mall, but the approach road is pathetic. Tractors can get broken down on such surfaces. Even if one takes that route, after crossing the treacherous back side road, one has to jostle at Nagawara and fight at Lumbini and then again at Hebbal.
I agree with you on the front two gates. I was at IBM at Manyata for more than a month in November last year on a training assignment. I was staying in a hotel in Kalyan Nagar, and was scared out of my wits by the morning traffic at those gates. Within a week, I researched into service apartments and found one just beside the back gate (Gate 5). Life became a cakewalk after that. The 1.6 kms drive to office was blissful. There were plenty of speed-breakers, but the road from the gate was wide and good for morning walks.

The road from the back gate to the Nagawara road was a bit patchy, but nowhere as traffic-infested as the one on the front gate.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 17:41   #13880
Senior - BHPian

This isn't a rant but an experience on the busy streets of Bengaluru. While riding from Siddapur to Rajajinagar via KG Road, I spotted a yellow plate Nissan Sunny (KA 51 D 8xxx) leaking something from underneath. On closer observation, noted that it was a green liquid - most probably coolant. I tried to signal him to look but was unable to grab his attention at three signals from Mysore Bank circle.

Finally managed to catch up with him at Shantala junction and told him that his car's coolant is leaking. He said "A/C water sir".

I then told him that it was a green liquid and as the signal turned green (pun unintended), moved on. Poor chap, he couldn't find a place to park safely and was left wondering what to do.

Hope I have helped him prevent damaging his car.
dailydriver is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 08:46   #13881
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I see Intel is now having a large new parking lot behind Novotel.
Go in the lane leading to Sakara and continue about 500 mts beyond

Good Strategy to beat the blues of the service road on this side.
This is temporary while Intel builds out its multilevel car park
Old 18th April 2017, 09:34   #13882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Looking at the discussions on these tech parks, ....

This whole concept of stuffing thousands of people in office spaces which have small roads to connect is just stupid and everyone from the builders to the company management are closely involved in this scam. How do you expect so many people to enter and exit the place with such an approach and a rather small road/service road. .
Scams apart,
We wouldn't be in the mess we are in if everyone(rather most commuters) used public transport. Most Commuters would choose public transport if it was convenient... and so the vicious cycle continues...
Old 18th April 2017, 09:56   #13883
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

While it was nice to see another April shower yesterday afternoon, our man-made disasters created havoc in the evening. A heavy, one hour downpour resulted in flooded roads & crazy traffic.

On Inner Ring Road, couple of wooden poles and a small tree came crashing down near EGL and they also brought down lots of wires (mostly cable TV) that were routed via these props
If that wasn't enough, there was slush on the road and parts of the road near the Domlur flyover ramp were flooded causing huge traffic jams. The reason for this was the recent asphalting of the road - they ended up closing the outlets for water to enter the storm water drains. As usual our brave Bangalore Traffic Cops were frantically trying to get BBMP & BWSSB workers to open up the outlets to let the water drain out of the road

Very similar scenes around Indiranagar and Koramangala too.
Old 18th April 2017, 11:24   #13884
BHPian

Due to on-going road / sewage works on the Adugodi Main Road after Forum Mall towards Bosch Gate 1 / Indian Dairy Association, the traffic from the Adugodi Police Station all the way to the Bannerghatta Road intersection signal was choc-o-block. On the way to work the traffic was made one way towards Forum and on the way back in the evening the traffic was made one way towards the Signal (towards shantinagar cemetery).
Adding to these woes, the cabbies and auto drivers hopelessly barged from every possible direction putting the entire traffic out of control. Not a cop in sight to regulate.
A good 60 minutes lost battling traffic and controlling rage purely due to improper planning and lack of control and etiquette on road.

Wonder if "Namma Bengaluru" are mere words to some !!
Old 18th April 2017, 11:46   #13885
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
Due to on-going road / sewage works on the Adugodi Main Road after Forum Mall towards Bosch Gate 1 / Indian Dairy Association, the traffic from the Adugodi Police Station all the way to the Bannerghatta Road intersection signal was choc-o-block

A good 60 minutes lost battling traffic and controlling rage purely due to improper planning and lack of control and etiquette on road.

Wonder if "Namma Bengaluru" are mere words to some !!
Yesterday, the arrangements were good. You go straight toward Adugodi or you take the Mico/Cemetary Road on the way back. Both directions were one way.

Today was a disaster, they reversed the direction and allowed two way. From the cemetery, you fight on-coming traffic in Wilson Garden. Get stuck in Adugodi. I should have proceeded straight onto Dairy Circle.

Will return via Viveknagar today
Old 18th April 2017, 11:58   #13886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Yesterday, the arrangements were good.

Today was a disaster,

Will return via Viveknagar today
Thank god, I chose a different route this morning.
This morning, after turning right at the circle after Shantinagar bus stand I came straight all the way through Nimhans, Christ University before turning left towards E-City road. The traffic was heavy but not haphazard.

Last evening I tried the Vivek nagar route and turned back as there was a huge pile up all the way till the Passport office / Cauvery Ford. Apparently this is the usual between 7 - 9pm evening.

Wonder how long this 'maintenance' program would continue and how many more might crop up impromptu along the way ? I feel its better to improvise using Goggle Map's traffic feed everyday, from time to time.
Old 18th April 2017, 12:31   #13887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post

Wonder how long this 'maintenance' program would continue and how many more might crop up impromptu along the way ? I feel its better to improvise using Goggle Map's traffic feed everyday, from time to time.
According to BTP, diversions due to drain work would continue until 30th April.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 15:44   #13888
BHPian

Folks, can someone comment if the non tolled alternative route to KIAL is open? While driving back from the airport to the city last Sunday, I thought of taking left from the first roundabout but it was pouring at the time and did not want to risk it.
Old 18th April 2017, 15:57   #13889
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Folks, can someone comment if the non tolled alternative route to KIAL is open? While driving back from the airport to the city last Sunday
No it was not open when I had driven to airport two weeks back. From the press report, they had quoted some 3 months for opening. Considering it was sometime around Feb mid, it may take few for weeks atleast.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 16:07   #13890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Folks, can someone comment if the non tolled alternative route to KIAL is open? While driving back from the airport to the city last Sunday, I thought of taking left from the first roundabout but it was pouring at the time and did not want to risk it.
I think it is open. last week when I was returning from the airport, I saw some cabs take the left at the second round about and that is the route to the mud road. When you return, there are barricades placed, but enough room for a single car to pass through. If there are people still taking it, I guess it should be open.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks