Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2017, 11:10   #13906
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Are interceptors on the elevated Electronic City flyover normal?

I haven't been on the flyover during office hours for quite some time, but today saw an interceptor vehicle in the layover and they had a couple of vehicles rounded up - not sure if it was speed related or a drive against out of state vehicles.

Anyway the speed limit is 80kmph on the flyover, but cars generally do in excess of 100kmph. I was at 70-80 though due to traffic.
jphukan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 11:14   #13907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
No, Cisco buses dont have the INFANTS sticker. The INFANT ones belong to some company in prestige tech park on the opposite side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetgrey View Post
Those Infant buses are operated for JP Morgan Chase employees in PTP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Was there any block near KR puram which caused this? If so, clearly shows how much these BMTC morons contribute to traffic jams on ORR.
Lesser traffic today at KR Pura itself, so I think there should be some issue on the ORR before KR Pura.

Think of this, we have become nice traffic analysts ranting on this thread. Next I guess we should have some CB Radio for personal cars where we can discuss traffic when we commute. Would be fun, except that cabbies should be excluded else it will be an abuse filled channel One cabbie will yell at the other one, while another will challenge his co-driver who will finish pickups and drops soon, and so on.

I wonder what will happen once metro work starts at KR Pura. The alignment is such that it will recklessly cut across the road and then, to add to this the Jyotipura station is planned bang in the Center of the junction of Hanging bridge and the side road to ITPL. If this was not enough, the KR Pura station is aligned in the Junction of ITPL Main road and ORR. I am planning to ditch my car for commute and buy a bike for the same.
Old 21st April 2017, 11:20   #13908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphukan View Post
They were very common about 18-14 months back that one would spot them everyday from 11am till dusk.

Traffic increased, speedsters decreased over the last 2 years and they totally stopped their business.

Your spotting now confirms that they are back again!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 11:23   #13909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I haven't been on the flyover during office hours for quite some time, but today saw an interceptor vehicle in the layover and they had a couple of vehicles rounded up - not sure if it was speed related or a drive against out of state vehicles.

Anyway the speed limit is 80kmph on the flyover, but cars generally do in excess of 100kmph. I was at 70-80 though due to traffic.
Yes there are interceptors on the BETL now. They used to be there earlier but had stopped for some time. They are back now and catching people who speed on the flyover. But since lay-bye is the only place where they can stand, people usually slow down when they approach it and speed up after crossing them. It would usually be only the newbies who get caught.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 12:18   #13910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just to extrapolate, these Interceptors operate below Flyover also. On Hosur Road usually between 3:30 to 5 PM, we can see them somewhere Opposite to Dakshin Honda ( On the road from EC to Bangalore)

They will simply wait for the signal (Hosa Road Signal) to go green and catch all first comers(Usually, these first comers will do over speed)

I call this Go Green Initiative !!
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 14:46   #13911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I am planning to ditch my car for commute and buy a bike for the same.
I cant imagine the chaos once they start blocking the road for building the metro. Apparently there is talks of running dedicated MEMU train units from Whitefield to BYPL to ease road traffic. That is probably the only thing that can save the chaos that is about to unfold in the KR Puram - ITPL - Hoodi stretch once metro construction gets going.

If they open up the green line fully and add the MEMUs from BYPL to WF, most sane folks might opt for this instead of road rash on ITPL main road
Old 21st April 2017, 15:14   #13912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Yes there are interceptors on the BETL now. They used to be there earlier but had stopped for some time. They are back now and catching people who speed on the flyover. But since lay-bye is the only place where they can stand, people usually slow down when they approach it and speed up after crossing them. It would usually be only the newbies who get caught.
I generally slow down to 60ish just to be on the safer side, even though normally I try and stick to 70 on BETL.

Another place which has interceptors now is after the Ejipura Signal and before the U Turn in IRR before EGL (going towards Indiranagar side), typically between 2-4 pm. Haven't seen them later than that. These guys generally catch bikers without helmets as 99% of the cars on the road slow down before them.
Old 21st April 2017, 21:34   #13913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
But since lay-bye is the only place where they can stand, people usually slow down when they approach it and speed up after crossing them.
Hee..hee.. You are mistaken my friend. They have another place - when coming from Silk Board side, the area where exits to Electronic City Phase-1 and Phase-2 begins. That area is pretty wide for a jeep to park. They get clear visibility of the road from Silk Board side (just like what they get when parked at the lay-bye).
Old 21st April 2017, 23:47   #13914
BHPian

Quote:

Woah. Thanks for the heads up. I frequent that flyover and will keep this in mind next time.

Btw, any idea how much would be the fine for overspeeding in car and bike respectively?
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 05:14   #13915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Woah. Thanks for the heads up. I frequent that flyover and will keep this in mind next time.

Btw, any idea how much would be the fine for overspeeding in car and bike respectively?
Over speeding in LMV (Light Motor Vehicle) will leave you poorer by Rs.1000. Not sure about 2-wheeler fine.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:18   #13916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Over speeding in LMV (Light Motor Vehicle) will leave you poorer by Rs.1000. Not sure about 2-wheeler fine.
You sure? I think it is Rs. 300 (#4 in this link):

http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...t&view=article

I have been fined in Bangalore (under BETL and near Yelahanka), but only Rs. 300 both times. They've given me the Blackberry receipt too.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 19:38   #13917
BHPian

Slightly OT : anyone here living in Hosur and traveling to Bangalore for work? I am planning to shift to Hosur. One concern is during any bandh or protests the border is closed. Any alternate routes used during that situation?
Old 22nd April 2017, 20:29   #13918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Slightly OT : anyone here living in Hosur and traveling to Bangalore for work? I am planning to shift to Hosur. One concern is during any bandh or protests the border is closed. Any alternate routes used during that situation?
I had a colleague who drove from Hosur to EC for 2 years, hassle free.

Of course, since my organization also offered Work from Home facility, during protests or bandhs, this came was a relief. However, this was between 2013 to 2015 and I don't recall he ever had to stay home due to a procession or a bandh.

Now he has moved out and his workplace is Manyatha Tech Park. So he's shifted to a rented accommodation near here as Hosur was not feasible for this.

I even recall between 2008-10, a colleague did that. So this is not at all unusual but in both cases, they had some or the other relations with Hosur (Home/In laws etc) and they did not really have to take a "decision" to work from Hosur then and it was more of a usual thing.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 20:30   #13919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I am planning to shift to Hosur. One concern is during any bandh or protests the border is closed. Any alternate routes used during that situation?
There are Hosur-TVS-Attibele and Hosur-Bagalur-Sarjapur. Depends on where in Bangalore you have to go.
Old 22nd April 2017, 20:36   #13920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Over speeding in LMV (Light Motor Vehicle) will leave you poorer by Rs.1000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You sure? I think it is Rs. 300...
I have been fined in Bangalore (under BETL and near Yelahanka), but only Rs. 300 both times. They've given me the Blackberry receipt too.
Over speeding will, as per the amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act, attract a fine of ₹400. A repeat offence will be punishable with a penalty of ₹1,000. Here's an excerpt gleaned from the information published in our own forum (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...es-act-19.html) by Senior Bhpian sachinpk.

Quote:
183. (1) Whoever, drives a motor vehicle in contravention of the speed limits referred to in section 112 shall be punishable with fine which may extend to four hundred rupees, or, if having been previously convicted of an offence under this sub-section is again convicted of an offence under this sub-section, with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees. (2) Whoever, causes any person who is employed by him or is subject to his control in driving to drive a motor vehicle in contravention of the speed limits referred to in section 112 shall be punishable with fine which may extend to three hundred rupees, or, if having been previously convicted of an offence under this sub-section, is again convicted of an offence under this sub-section, with fine which may extend to five hundred rupees. (3) No person shall be convicted of an offence punishable under sub-section (1) solely on the evidence of one witness to the effect that in the opinion of the witness such person was driving at a speed which was unlawful, unless that opinion is shown to be based on an estimate obtained by the use of some mechanical device. (4) The publication of a time table under which, or the giving of any direction that, any journey or part of a journey is to be completed within a specified time shall, if in the opinion of the Court it is not practicable in the circumstances of the case for that journey or part of a journey to be completed in the specified time without contravening the speed limits referred to in section 112 be prima facie evidence that the person who published the time table or gave the direction has committed an offence punishable under sub-section (2).

184. Whoever, drives a motor vehicle at a speed or in a manner which is dangerous to the public, having regard to all the circumstances of case including the nature, condition and use of the place where the vehicle is driven and the amount of traffic which actually is at the time or which might reasonably be expected to be in the place, shall be punishable for the first offence with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees, and for any second or subsequent offence if committed within three years of the commission of a previous similar offence with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine which may extend to two thousand rupees, or with both.

Most Viewed