Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2017, 09:34   #13966
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Had the misfortune of boarding an Airavat to Mysore since my friend wanted to visit Chamundi Hill and I was not in a mood to drive expecting heavy traffic. I have not seen so much traffic on the bangalore mysore highway till date. Right from Nayandahalli till Kengeri was crawling traffic and inside most of the towns we had dead slow traffic. The bus took five hours to reach Mysore and all this was because the train we booked early in the morning to mysore was delayed by four hours and we decided to take a bus.

I cant even imagine what it will be like today evening to return to Bangalore from any point outside. Thankfully, we returned by train in a splendid run the previous night itself.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 17:47   #13967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I cant even imagine what it will be like today evening to return to Bangalore from any point outside.
Hmm.. About to hit the Mysore road at 8pm today heading to Bangalore from Mysore. Let me try my luck. I am expecting about a maximum of 5 hours drive, so hopefully I will not get disappointed.
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:18   #13968
BHPian

Hi all,
I was just browsing maps as I need to pickup parents from the airport this weekend. I came across this route when I selected the option "Avoid Tolls". Whether anyone has tried this option?
Link to Route

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-map.jpg
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:37   #13969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Hmm.. About to hit the Mysore road at 8pm today heading to Bangalore from Mysore. Let me try my luck. I am expecting about a maximum of 5 hours drive, so hopefully I will not get disappointed.
Hope you were not disappointed

I started from Mysore Columbia Asia hospital signal around 10 PM on May 1st and reached E city by 12:45 AM. Lost nearly 30 minutes at Channapatana, but other than that the drive was road block free !
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:42   #13970
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore folks,
What's the current on-ground status of non-KA cars driving in the city? Is the RTO still hounding non-KA cars and levying LTT on the owners?

From this thread on the case (at SC), the last update I see is that the hearing date is still to be announced.

Is it "safe" to bring a non-KA car to Bangalore for a temporary period (2-3 months)?
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:48   #13971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat View Post
Hi all,
I was just browsing maps as I need to pickup parents from the airport this weekend. I came across this route when I selected the option "Avoid Tolls". Whether anyone has tried this option?
This is the standard route for people travelling to Airport from Whitefield/ITPL. I have used this route many times, but you will not be avoiding toll as there toll collected in the final stretches. Last time I traveled in 2016 and the cab had to pay the toll. The stretch is highlighted in the below pic.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-airport.jpg

Alternatively, when I searched now GMAPS is throwing a different result/route which I feel will not have toll. I have not traveled this route and not sure whether this exists.
Link to Route

I am not sure about the highlighted part in the below pic
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-airport-2.jpg

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 3rd May 2017 at 16:53.
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:52   #13972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Bangalore folks,
What's the current on-ground status of non-KA cars driving in the city? Is the RTO still hounding non-KA cars and levying LTT on the owners?

From this thread on the case (at SC), the last update I see is that the hearing date is still to be announced.

Is it "safe" to bring a non-KA car to Bangalore for a temporary period (2-3 months)?
There are no issues as of now. Not seen any RTOs hounding non KA vehicles or reports of RTOs doing the same. Since the matter is in the courts, The latest order passed by Hon. HC quashing the KA MV Act amendment holds good. We can drive the vehicle for 11 months without any issues. Carry a PUC before you start from your home state which will serve as a photographic evidence of your vehicle in KA for less than 11 months. Me and my friends have TN reg cars and are having no issues.

@Mods: Can you please merge my posts!

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 3rd May 2017 at 16:54. Reason: Request to merge posts
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:02   #13973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Alternatively, when I searched now GMAPS is throwing a different result/route which I feel will not have toll. I have not traveled this route and not sure whether this exists.
I am not sure about the highlighted part in the below pic
This route has been discussed earlier also. In the part you highlighted, where we need to take left from airport road is still under works and I believe it is dirt track.

Last edited by sathya.bhat : 3rd May 2017 at 17:03.
sathya.bhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:09   #13974
Distinguished - BHPian

Its a country road type easygoing route perfect when there is no stress/rush going or coming back :-)

Watch out for the KIAL tankers though which drive quickly when empty and the usual cows, cyclists, speed-breakers etc when passing through the villages.

No toll is correct on the way there :-) But when exiting KIAL you will need to pay at least 85 bucks (if returning on the same route), or 125 bucks for the usual Hebbal route.

The new access road is now blocked until the surface is fully paved.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:15   #13975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
No toll is correct on the way there :-) But when exiting KIAL you will need to pay at least 85 bucks (if returning on the same route), or 125 bucks for the usual Hebbal route.
Thanks
So, the toll type in this route is same as the Hebbal route; i.e. We need to pay the toll while exiting. Am I correct?
Old 3rd May 2017, 19:21   #13976

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Quote:
Thanks
So, the toll type in this route is same as the Hebbal route; i.e. We need to pay the toll while exiting. Am I correct?
There is No toll if you take the same route to and from airport. During entry you have collect a receipt from the toll booth and during exit you just have to produce it in the toll booth.

I have been through this road many times.
MidnightBlack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 20:45   #13977
BHPian

Hi Folks,

A quick question from me on the One Way status of Tannery Road. I was driving down on Tannery Road from Manyata to reach Coles Park, and I got pulled over by a Traffic cop just after the railway overbridge at the Pottery town junction. I never knew that Tannery Road was a one way and you are only allowed to drive towards Nagawara, not from there. On questioning the cop, he says its not a new rule either and its a one way for the last "ippathu varsha" [20 yrs]. I was baffled. But paid the fine, got the receipt and left. But now wondering, if it really is a a one way. If so, how come Google maps suggests the road? There were millions of vehicles going the same way as me, helmet-less two wheeler riders zooming past, but of them all he catches me? [I have a KA number plate] Also, at the end of Tannery road, near the traffic junction why do they have a median to split traffic if it was a one way? Can anyone shed some light on this, before I raise it on the BTP website?

Thanks!
Old 3rd May 2017, 21:24   #13978
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
Link to Route

This a regular route through Budigere that people from Whitefield or that part of the city take. I have used it couple of times. No issues. Never used after dark.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 21:54   #13979
BHPian

If you approach the airport from Devanahalli you don't have to pay toll if returning the same route as pointed out by MidnightBlack. All you have to do is collect a receipt on the up-ramp towards the airport and produce the same on the way back at the toll booth at the bottom of the circular down ramp. They actually have a separate lane for people with this receipt to the left which is blocked with a plastic barricade.

During daylight hours I only use the Budigere cross route. It's slightly longer than the regular Hebbal route for say someone living in Indiranagar but is a stress free drive on a nice county road.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 01:35   #13980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyRocks View Post
Can anyone shed some light on this, before I raise it on the BTP website?
The Cop is right! (I guess, I'm supporting a traffic Cop for the first time). The One Way rule is exempt for 2 wheelers & BMTC buses. So, Google can't put up all rules & exceptions.

If you're driving from Nagwara towards City, there's a Y junction (don't know the exact name). After 50 metres from Y junction, you've to take a left turn. There's a board placed there, but due to narrow road and heavy traffic, you might've missed it. And usually, a Cop stands at the left turn during peak hours and will not allow Cars and Auto's to pass through.

I never take Google's advice 100%, If I'm going for the first time. Avoid Tannery Road by Car, even if it's a detour of 3-4 kms. I only take a 2 wheeler through this Road, since it's narrow and jam packed all the time. Alternate route would be through HBR Layout and Cox Town.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed