Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:21   #14101
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Folks,

What is the status of the new alternate route to Bangalore airport(via Begur and intersecting at airport roundabout) which opened in Feb 2017
Is it motorable ?
Old 2nd June 2017, 20:23   #14102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshiqueS View Post
Folks,

What is the status of the new alternate route to Bangalore airport(via Begur and intersecting at airport roundabout) which opened in Feb 2017
Is it motorable ?
I was in the airport last Sunday; and wanted to take this route; but access to it was blocked from the airport road (at 3 PM in the afternoon). I think this road is another scam on the unsuspecting folks of Bangalore.

On a different note - Twitter is reporting that our Hithendra IPS has said this:

https://twitter.com/shashibk/status/870464909355528193

"If there are thousands of vehicles passing on a road that is riddled with potholes and only one meets with accident, why should the rider not
be blamed for rash or negligent driving?"

Last edited by binand : 2nd June 2017 at 20:26. Reason: Added the actual quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 22:38   #14103
BHPian

This is not a rant about Bangalore traffic, but rather a rant from a frustrated VW customer. I received this picture in a whatsapp group.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1496423313125.jpg  

Last edited by kiran_cr : 2nd June 2017 at 22:39. Reason: spelling error
kiran_cr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 04:56   #14104
Senior - BHPian

A sand truck has broken its front axle and dumped its cargo on the westward up ramp entrance of the Nagawara flyover on the ORR. Looks unlikely that it will be cleared before morning rush hour. Sand has already spread to part of the adjacent lane. Be aware and bikers, be careful too.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 10:04   #14105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
A sand truck has broken its front axle and dumped its cargo on the westward up ramp entrance of the Nagawara flyover on the ORR. Looks unlikely that it will be cleared before morning rush hour. Sand has already spread to part of the adjacent lane. Be aware and bikers, be careful too.
Update: The truck has been removed and debris hasn't been completely cleaned yet. Bikers beware as there is some oil spill as well.

How many similar accidents have we seen on these stupid split flyovers on the outer ring road? Rightmost lane leading you straight into the flyover parapet wall, with very minimal or non existing markers, no street lights.
Very poor road maintenance by BBMP
nagarjun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 12:12   #14106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post

Update: The truck has been removed and debris hasn't been completely cleaned yet. Bikers beware as there is some oil spill as well.

How many similar accidents have we seen on these stupid split flyovers on the outer ring road? Rightmost lane leading you straight into the flyover parapet wall, with very minimal or non existing markers, no street lights.
Very poor road maintenance by BBMP
I read about so many flyover accidents in this thread. What's the matter really? Could any one of you post a snap or layout of the flyover entry and exit for non-Bangloreans to understand this issue?
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 19:36   #14107
Distinguished - BHPian

With every rain, Bangalore's NICE road is a risky affair to drive on. Under every bridge that crosses this expressway,more and more two wheelers are parked reducing it to a small opening for one vehicle to pass. Today's rain was heavy and visibility very low. If Bigger vehicles are not careful they will ram into a wall of 2 wheelers. We Indians are very lucky IMO; for otherwise, with so many unsafe things we do, more lives would've been lost.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 08:55   #14108
Distinguished - BHPian

As if the water tanker mess in and around Whitefield/ORR was not enough, now these guys have started to buy huge BharatBenz 37 Tonne multi axle trucks and mount HUGE tanks on them. Yesterday I noticed these new monsters and they are really huge compared to the regular tankers. I wonder how they can be allowed to ply on regular roads with lots of traffic. With around 30000 Liters of water, though the truck comes with ABS, I wonder how it would behave in emergency braking conditions. If this truck ever gets behind your car, its better to let it go ahead rather than ending up in a situation where you will test your brakes and the truck should too.

This adds another gem to the crown of lawlessness in this area. I saw two such examples, which went inside a plot opposite Alpine Eco apartments.
Old 6th June 2017, 10:31   #14109
BHPian

Slightly OT - I shifted to Hosur after weighing my options. My expenses were high mainly because of rent and then I have to admit my kid in school. So took the decision and shifted last week to hosur. Today was my first day to work commuting from hosur to Bangalore. My office is in embassy tech village. I take the bagalur road and reach office via sarjapur road, then carmelaram. Its the back side. Funny thing is from my home to Sarjapur it took me 20 mins ( 20kms). Rest 13 kms took around 45 mins. The moment I entered Sarjapur, the dust and the pollution started! Also today's commute throws some questions for me - within 30-35kms there is a vast difference in terms of quality of living. Need to think out options when the cauvery water strike/bandh happens.
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 10:52   #14110
Senior - BHPian

Saw the new road sweeping truck at work in front of Sathya Sai super speciality hospital at 9:!5 AM. This was obstructing traffic. Wondering why this is done in peak hours.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 16:58   #14111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Slightly OT - I shifted to Hosur after weighing my options. My expenses were high mainly because of rent and then I have to admit my kid in school. So took the decision and shifted last week to hosur. Today was my first day to work commuting from hosur to Bangalore. My office is in embassy tech village. I take the bagalur road and reach office via sarjapur road, then carmelaram. Its the back side. Funny thing is from my home to Sarjapur it took me 20 mins ( 20kms). Rest 13 kms took around 45 mins. The moment I entered Sarjapur, the dust and the pollution started! Also today's commute throws some questions for me - within 30-35kms there is a vast difference in terms of quality of living. Need to think out options when the cauvery water strike/bandh happens.
Did you try the train from Hosur to Bellandur Road station ? It is actually situated in Panathur road, so near to Embassy tech village.
ashokrajagopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 17:19   #14112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
Did you try the train from Hosur to Bellandur Road station ? It is actually situated in Panathur road, so near to Embassy tech village.
Hi Ashok, i didnt check it out yet. Only trouble for me with Trains is there is no trains between 5pm and 7pm in Bellandur road or carmelaram. The morning train starts at 8:15am from Hosur but daily I see its delayed by 30 to 50 mins.
Old 6th June 2017, 17:38   #14113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
no trains between 5pm and 7pm in Bellandur road or carmelaram.
Though there are no trains between 5-7 pm there is one @ 5 PM and other @ 7.08 PM which you can try though not sure about the time it reaches Carmelaram.

Cheers!!
AutoAficionado
Old 8th June 2017, 07:54   #14114
Distinguished - BHPian

Wish you all good luck, Flipkart !

Get onto the Job Guys - You can come up with ideas and create a detailed Deck while stuck in a Traffic Jam itself.

Regular Transport Adalats at the RTOs, Education to Drives from various fraternities by Bangalore Traffic Police, Lessons through Social Media and 'et al and now this - Flipkart Plans to solve Bengaluru's Traffic Woes .

Quote:
BENGALURU:
HIGHLIGHTS
Flipkart asks people to come up with solutions to Bengaluru's traffic
Participants will be given about two weeks to work on their ideas
The best solutions will be presented on July 1

E-commerce major Flipkart turns 10 this year, and in order to do something for Bengaluru - the city in which it took birth - it are trying to help sort out the city's notorious traffic. The Gridlock Hackathon goes live today - an initiative in which Flipkart is asking people to get on the platform and share ideas to help come up with solutions to Bengaluru's traffic blues.

Flipkart's Chief Architect, Utkarsh B, told NDTV, "In our own small way we are creating an open innovation platform. People can come in, collaborate, discuss, brainstorm. And seed certain ideas that can help solve part of the problem. It could be small localised junctions like Silk Board junction, KR Puram junction - what can be done for that. Or it could be a micro problem Flipkart is invested towards."

"Bengaluru is certainly facing the brunt of traffic. Is there a systemic solve to it - whether completely backed by technology or if you are leveraging technology in a partial way? We being a technology power house, can we create this platform, nudge people and motivate them? It is the power of collective will. We will be setting up a portal where people can come and register their teams," he added.

On being asked whether there was a conflict of interest, after all, many people shop online so that they can avoid the terrible traffic, Mr Utkarsh said, "None of the customers will be happy if the ecosystem around them is not happy. It will be a lot of gratification that we can give back to the city."

Flipkart employees also face traffic blues first hand with most of their offices located on busy areas.

Participants will be given about two weeks to work on their ideas. Then the submissions will stop and the best ideas will be shortlisted on the basis of whether they are feasible, impactful and relevant. The top ten teams will present their ideas before a jury.

Mr Utkarsh said, "At the end we don't just want a theoretical solution. We want them to convert it into a working prototype."

The best solutions will be presented on July 1 - and the winners will get Flipkart vouchers worth 2 lakhs, 1 lakh and 50 000 for the first three places.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 08:09   #14115
BHPian

The solution is simple, it is a rare phenomenon nowadays on the road, it is called common sense
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed