Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2017, 11:41   #14461
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

This is not a rant...

Bengaluru to use heli taxis from the city to the airport at the cost of AC Cab from December 2017.

Quote:
Bengaluru International Airport (BIAL) has tied up with Thumby Aviation, a Kerala based helicopter service provider for this heli-taxi service. It will shuttle passengers from the city to the airport. Currently, it takes about 1.5-2.5 hours to commute between the Electronic city and the airport by cab. With the introduction of the chopper, this time will go down to a mere 15 minutes. It will start off using a single 6 seater chopper (Bell 407) and will later expand to other areas as well, like Whitefield and HAL airport
link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd August 2017 at 11:43.
Old 22nd August 2017, 15:05   #14462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Now a days its more like off roading than driving on the city roads.
Another motivation for people to buy SUVs
Old 22nd August 2017, 23:35   #14463
BHPian

The following pertains to a different city, and a much maligned one, but is relevant to the situation in Bangalore in how, if there is a will, things can definitely change for the better.

I was back in my hometown Kolkata last week after more than one and half years. The traffic situation there was quite a revelation.

Speed limits have been put in place, especially in the new flyovers that have come up in the last 2 years and are enforced strictly. Speed guns are placed in routine intervals and challans are sent via mail to offenders. 2 wheelers are not allowed on flyovers from 11pm - 6AM

Traffic sergeants, the ones on bullets who are as much a part of the cityscape as the kali peeli taxis inspire fear among the motorists. It was amusing to see motorists inch back behind the stop line when they are late to spot lights changing to red. All intersections have functional lights along with timers. I spotted traffic cops even in smaller lanes (including a narrow lane near New Alipur where I had gone to fetch a zoomcar)

Despite a city which experiences heavy showers, road surface is in reasonable shape and waterlogging is an uncommon experience. Roads in Kolkata (except for New Town/Salt lake) are narrower than Bangalore et al, however, imaginative use of barricades and efficient traffic management mean that traffic keeps moving. Anyone familiar with NSC Bose road which links Tollygunge tram depot with Garia will understand what I mean by snarls in a narrow but arterial road; the chaos there has been replaced by smooth flowing traffic.

The complex system of one ways, especially in central Kolkata, while daunting for a newcomer, actually helps with traffic being kept on the move with a city which has to make to with narrow roads. Finally, while its a private enterprise, must mention how effective Uber is in Kolkata. Irrespective of the time of day or night or location, a cab is just minutes away. It was such a liberating experience from the clutches of the kaali peeli thugs!

One glaring difference between Kolkata and Bangalore, where I have now been for 7 years and seen the traffic condition deteriorate by the day, is that the traffic cops in the latter seem to be a demoralized and unimaginative lot, relying only on breathalyzers and thugs on tow tracks to what passes for traffic management here. And bear in mind that the situation was dire in Kolkata even until a couple of years back. What givers me hope is that things can certainly improve with the right kind of ideas. Perhaps the cops here can learn a thing or too from their counterparts in more 'traditional' cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata et al.

Last edited by hothatchaway : 22nd August 2017 at 23:44.
hothatchaway is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 23:45   #14464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
I was back in my hometown Kolkata last week after more than one and half years. The traffic situation there was quite a revelation.
Perhaps the cops here can learn a thing or too from their counterparts in more 'traditional' cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata et al.
Great to learn about this, thanks for sharing! Right from childhood, I used to dread Calcutta's traffic. I spent 6 months in the city in 1984, and at that point of time, no other metro had such dreaded traffic.

Great to know that things have improved by leaps and bounds! I guess Bangalore has now taken the spot of the worst traffic among metros.
Old 23rd August 2017, 09:46   #14465
Senior - BHPian

Some office work forced me to be at the office at 0500Hrs today. So used my GPS based tool to do the time logging for the trip I made this morning. I then compared the times, with the day in July on which I took the maximum time to reach office.

Today, I could cover the distance of around 30kms in 30 mins flat. And off course, I may be stating a very obvious fact. The delays are happening once I cross Gunjur village during the day time. Today at 4PM I could reach Varthur Police Station from Gunjur in three minutes. Where as on 27th July at the peak traffic time, it took me 9 minutes. The next big choke is from Varthur PS to Varthur Kodi Jn. Today, I could cover that in just 3 minutes, where as on 27th July it took me 15 mins to cover the same stretch. This is followed by the Whitefield circle/Jn to ITPB leg of the journey, where the peak time lag was 11 minutes.

Chandapura to Gunjur do not seem to have a very erratic/fluctuating traffic between both the time periods. The time difference is just few minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-23aug_vs_27jul.jpg  

sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 11:31   #14466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Some office work forced me to be at the office at 0500Hrs today. So used my GPS based tool to do the time logging for the trip I made this morning. I then compared the times, with the day in July on which I took the maximum time to reach office.

Today, I could cover the distance of around 30kms in 30 mins flat.
I realised the same when I left office at 1AM and reached home at 1:30AM. I covered 23.5kms in 30mins. Thats when I was thinking that if traffic conditions go worse, I will switch to a totally odd time schedule and come back home early in the afternoon and catch a nap. My plan was to work between 6AM and 3PM and reach home by 4PM to catch a nap till 5PM and still enjoy the evening with family. Somehow that plan is put on hold since my body doesnt agree with my mind and so wont my organization
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 11:50   #14467
Senior - BHPian

Read an article in TOI today morning. BBMP has counted around 5067 potholes in Bengaluru.

Quote:
B S Prahallad, chief engineer (road infrastructure), BBMP, confirmed that civic staff identified 5,067 potholes along the 957km stretch of roads in the city. "The highest number of potholes (2,045) was found in the East zone; we have filled 1,817 of them," he said.
Out of these, around 3000 odd potholes had been filled by Monday evening itself according to BBMP.
Old 23rd August 2017, 12:18   #14468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I realised the same when I left office at 1AM and reached home at 1:30AM. I covered 23.5kms in 30mins. Thats when I was thinking that if traffic conditions go worse, I will switch to a totally odd time schedule and come back home early in the afternoon and catch a nap. My plan was to work between 6AM and 3PM and reach home by 4PM to catch a nap till 5PM and still enjoy the evening with family. Somehow that plan is put on hold since my body doesnt agree with my mind and so wont my organization
Actually the morning shift is very convenient. Thankfully my organisation allows it. I come to office by 5:30am and log off by 1:30pm. Reach home by 3pm, take nap till 4 or 5pm. Then in the evening attend some calls, also get to spend some quality time with my kid. I travel 35kms from Hosur to my office in 45 mins, early mornings are even more fast. I maintain 80kms/hr speed. However majority of my days will be like 10am to 6:30pm login, for which I will come in trains.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 13:54   #14469
Senior - BHPian

traffic was unusually heavy on the old airport road even at 1pm today. not sure what caused this slow movement, but such instances seem to be increasing daily.
Old 23rd August 2017, 21:12   #14470
Senior - BHPian

I stay nearby outer ring road rainbow underpass. Seeing the terrific rain, I thought of walking upto there and take a look at water logging. It is massive. Do not come over this side. I had to help out a few two wheelers and autos to cross over.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20170823_210422666.jpg
balenoed_ is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 21:18   #14471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
I stay nearby outer ring road rainbow underpass.
Many many thanks for that. I was wondering what the condition of that underpass and Kasturinagar - KR puram down ramp is going to be tomorrow thanks to the rains tonight. Looks like I am going to rely on Indian Railways to get to Hoodi tomorrow
Old 23rd August 2017, 21:50   #14472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Looks like I am going to rely on Indian Railways to get to Hoodi tomorrow
Water should recede and be back to normal by tomorrow morning I guess. In case I get a chance, I can update on the situation in the early morning.

I have a quick question, and slightly off-topic, kindly bear.

A swift dzire cab stalled just after he crossed the water logging and was not moving. This was causing further chaos as the vehicles behind him were rushing through the water with full throttle and had to slow down to negotiate this cab. I joined the driver in taking a look but I felt there was nothing that I could do. The engine was on, but the vehicle was not moving. I told him, to better give up trying and leave the vehicle there and let the water clogging in the silencer or inside dry up (not sure), or tow it out in the morning. We managed to move it to side and leave the hazards on. He said he will make some phone calls and decide, and then I left the place.

What has to be done for this break down? Will continuous revving be successful or will it cause further damage inside?

I will meanwhile search for any other thread related to this. Sorry being , will move on after hearing any inputs on this, if any.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 23rd August 2017 at 21:59.
Old 23rd August 2017, 22:20   #14473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The engine was on, but the vehicle was not moving. I told him, to better give up trying and leave the vehicle there and let the water clogging in the silencer or inside dry up (not sure), or tow it out in the morning. We managed to move it to side and leave the hazards on.
What has to be done for this break down? Will continuous revving be successful or will it cause further damage inside?
Most likely the clutch was worn out and weak which gave up when water entered the clutch housing. The clutch housing is not water tight so when he waded through the water, it would have entered the clutch housing and would have caused it to slip. In cases where the clutch springs are still strong and the friction material still good, the water dries up within seconds of coming out of the pool and the clutch comes back to normal. In this case I guess he has revved the car excessively, or his clutch has run out of friction material which due to the water ingress would have caused total failure since whatever was left of the friction material would have been polished smooth by the water.

If things turn out in his favour, he can drive the car after some time and then replace the clutch. If not, then the car will have to be towed down to garage to replace the clutch.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 23:14   #14474
BHPian

Just came home from office, luckily took wife's access(scooter) to work today, ORR from rainbow hospital to wells Fargo flyover was jam packed. All kind of vehicles were trying to enter the narrow service lane why? Because of the poor drainage the water was logged at least till bonnet level of swift.

I saw atleast 5 vehicles parked with parking lights on, not sure if it's because of water entering the engine.
Old 24th August 2017, 01:18   #14475
Team-BHP Support

Same story every time it rains more than a a few drops.
Faulty/non-existent drainage, horrible roads, worse driving sense and absolute chaos.

Cue municipal claims of how many thousands of potholes they've filled and a bunch of new magic flyovers to solve our traffic issues.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th August 2017 at 01:19.

Most Viewed