Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2017, 12:13   #14566
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Though I agree with the flaws you mention, I have some sympathy for BTP. Its the BBMP that is to be blamed for everything you stated. BTP have only put their efforts making use of the infrastructure that the BDA and BBMP have provided to them.
+1. In fact BTP is now even doing "road repair" work, and they may be the only police agency in the world, to get into this work. I am sorry to say this, BBMP seems to be an organisation made only to act as "bag men" for the political class in the state. I have not seen any positive contribution from this organisation in any of Bengaluru's civic activities.

Generally, all decisions (even related to parking) is generally to be taken by the elected body governing the city. And once these rules are in place, the police generally gets the job of enforcing the same. Officers in the rank of Police Superintendent and above generally get some powers to make temporary rules regarding traffic flow, parking etc. This is ideally to be used for temporary events like festivals etc. But many times police have to use this power to bring in changes, which they feel are required. The elected body/representatives of people; just are not bothered.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 11:05   #14567
Senior - BHPian

Not a rant per-se

Last week has been pretty bad at the Varthur Kodi and Varthur side all the way to Gunjur. On Friday (15th Sep), it took 33 minutes to reach Gunjur from ITPL (Distance: 10km). On Monday (18th Sep), by luck I checked the Google Maps before leaving office. A line like clotted blood appeared right from Whitefield Jn. all the way to Vinayaka theatre beyond Varthur. I decied to go with the Karnataka Darshan option via Sametanahalli, and then join the main line at Gunjur (Distance: 23.2km). The time taken was 47 mins. That is, all it took was an extra time of 14 mins, even when the distance 13.2kms longer.

Average speed on ITPB->Gunjur direct was around 30kmph, where as on the ITPB->Samethanahalli->Gunjur route it was 49kmph.

So looks like if the traffic condition indicates a loss of any thing more than 10-15mins at Varthur, the better option would be to take the longer route.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-itpbkarnataka_darshan_sep17.jpg  

sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 07:40   #14568
BHPian

This week was a difficult one for me. I usually leave office at 3:30 and if there are calls in the evening, connect remotely.
However, this week I had a few face to face meetings which forced me to stay back in office.
Based on Sachin's data analytics, I did some on my own.

If I leave office at 3:30, I reach home at 4.
If I leave office at 4, I reach home at 5.
If I leave office at 5, I reach home at 7.
(Total distance = 10kms)
I cross the dreaded Ecospace > JP Morgan > Marathalli part of ORR everyday.

Thank goodness I did not have to stay back later than 5pm.

No arithmetic, logarithmic or exponential series we learnt in school can solve such complicated equations.

Tired with all the data analytics, decided to Work from Home today.
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 09:41   #14569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
If I leave office at 3:30, I reach home at 4.
If I leave office at 4, I reach home at 5.
If I leave office at 5, I reach home at 7.
(Total distance = 10kms)
I cross the dreaded Ecospace > JP Morgan > Marathalli part of ORR everyday.

Thank goodness I did not have to stay back later than 5pm.
Ring road between 430-7PM is horrible. This mess then moves to silk board/KR Pura between 6-9PM. By the time that settles down, we will have long distance buses come out onto the streets especially in Silk Board, Madivala, KR Pura and such places. As long as these places can be avoided during peak times, the quality of commute changes drastically.

Thanks to the flexible work hours in my organization, I have recently decided to work on a staggered schedule. Weekly thrice I come to office early and leave early(early = 4:30PM drive out of office) and the rest two days, I come a bit late and then leave only after 6:30PM. I have discovered that 4:30 - 6:30PM is the worst time to exit Whitefield. Beyond that, there is a cool off till 730PM or so after which another round of vehicles start, mainly those who work in shifts. This continues until 10:30PM after which the traffic gets better. This has worked well for me from the past few weeks apart from taking WFH once a week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I cant understand why they have not started building the Metro on ORR. I think it should have been done already. Forget connecting it from KR Puram or BTM Layout, just build one ASAP starting from Silk Board and ending near KR Puram. You can connect them later.
There is no costly land acquisition to do.
Unfortunately this plan is still on paper. I had initially found an alignment map of this stretch on the BMRCL website, but didnt find any more details later. The only ongoing work is the BYPL to Whitefield extension as well as the work on RV Road - Bommasandra line. What is the fate of the other line that is majorly underground is unknown. IMHO, they should have scrapped that line on Bannerghatta road and concentrated on using the same time and resources for the Silk Board line. As usual, it shows the lack of sensible planning. When they took so many years and deadlocks to tunnel the central stretch at majestic, I cant even imagine the time they would take to finish a line that will cut across half the city.

Last edited by audioholic : 22nd September 2017 at 10:07.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:00   #14570
Senior - BHPian

I cant understand why they have not started building the Metro on ORR. I think it should have been done already. Forget connecting it from KR Puram or BTM Layout, just build one ASAP starting from Silk Board and ending near KR Puram. You can connect them later.
There is no costly land acquisition to do.

I would be willing to get down and cross Silk Board by walk to hop on. The type of pressure bought on by NRN for Hosur Road elevated road is missing from corporate.
Old 22nd September 2017, 12:44   #14571
Senior - BHPian

Peak-hour trucks: Ring Road's worst nightmare
Right after reading the news this morning, I saw some "strict action" on truckers at the Gunjur side, with policemen asking truckers to pull aside. But the observation in the news report is correct. Trucks (especially cement mixers and tipper/dumpers) are having a free run on ORR and even in other areas where they are banned. My observation:-

1. National Permit trucks, trailers etc. Ban enforced. Reason: They are out of city & state vehicles, mainly from northern India, or KA and TN.
2. Cement Mixers, Tippers/Dumpers: Ban NOT enforced: Owned by Mannine magas, have political support and give two hoots to the law enforcement agency. Bribe may be paid to keep the lower rung police staff happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic
I have discovered that 4:30 - 6:30PM is the worst time to exit Whitefield.
That insight is interesting. Let me check the tabular data to see if this is applicable for me as well. I may not be taking the exit route which you take, but this is some thing to check upon. I have noticed a lull in the Hope Farm to Varthur Kodi traffic between 1900Hrs to around 2000Hrs. But after that heavy trucks who have all been camping at Gunjur would start coming in. I have also seen a surge of vehicle at 2200Hrs, which I guess is due to shift change in the BPOs.
Old 22nd September 2017, 17:08   #14572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If it is a two wheeler, then I urge everyone to use a dust mask. The amount of dust in this side of the city is just too high and I end up disposing a mask every four days of commute due to the kind of dust it accumulates.
Can you please tell me what mask can be used ? From a related thread, I see SmartFilters being recommended. Since there are too many options in the market, it is not clear what will serve the purpose.
shatananda.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 17:17   #14573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatananda.k View Post
Can you please tell me what mask can be used ? From a related thread, I see SmartFilters being recommended. Since there are too many options in the market, it is not clear what will serve the purpose.
I did not do much research but I am currently using 3M 9004 respirator. Its around 10-15 rupees a piece and I brought a set of ten from Amazon. On an average I use one mask for around 5-8 days of commute or until it gets dirty. For me the main issue was the severe dust around whitefield area and the soot particles from vehicles. The mask does a good job of filtering it and I rarely get the smell of exhaust when I wear it. Apart from this, I am not sure if a more advanced option is available but this does the job at the right cost for me. There is another version of the 9004 with a filter and I am planning to try that once this pack gets exhausted.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 16:56   #14574
Senior - BHPian

Road has been blocked from Madivala Police station towards silk board. Vehicle on fire.

Courtesy Bangalore Traffic police.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1506165946.006721.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1506165957.926874.jpg

Pls avoid that road.
Old 23rd September 2017, 19:14   #14575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Road has been blocked from Madivala Police station towards silk board. Vehicle on fire.

Courtesy Bangalore Traffic police.

Attachment 1679076

Attachment 1679077

Pls avoid that road.
Guess I was lucky. Passed through this place at approx. 4.30 today.
Old 26th September 2017, 09:02   #14576
BHPian

Last night due to the traffic police's experiment of removing right turn near the second gate of Manyata tech park, there was a huge jam inside.
My guess is it's not an experiment and only a temporary measure due to the Durga puja celebrations at the manpho convention center.
Old 26th September 2017, 09:20   #14577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Last night due to the traffic police's experiment of removing right turn near the second gate of Manyata tech park, there was a huge jam inside.
My guess is it's not an experiment and only a temporary measure due to the Durga puja celebrations at the manpho convention center.
Hi, this is not a temporary arrangement for Durga pooja. Please see the below circular that we received from our office.

Dear All,
Important announcement:
As a step towards convenient and congestion free vehicular movement. The Bangalore traffic police is experimenting the following change in routes at Embassy Manyata w.e.f Monday 25th Sep 2017.
Please note the following changes:
• Vehicles will not be permitted to move from Gate2 (Residential road) towards Veerana Palya.
• Vehicles going to Hebbal will exit towards Nagavara and take a U-turn under Nagavara flyover.
• The police team will be deployed at all the junctions to facilitate smooth traffic flow.
• In case the change of traffic plan leads to major traffic congestion, the Police Inspector at the site will open the road from Gate2 towards Veerana Palya.
Message received form Bangalore traffic police in coordination with Embassy business park.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 09:41   #14578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Hi,
slightly offtopic but, worth mentioning.

I just saw your photo(Avatar photo where someone found 'x') and could not control laughter !! This is really good one !
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 07:35   #14579
BHPian

It has been raining the whole night and flooding reported in many areas. Any words of caution or observation from your early commute people?
Old 27th September 2017, 08:52   #14580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
It has been raining the whole night and flooding reported in many areas. Any words of caution or observation from your early commute people?
You should've mentioned to which part of Bangalore you belong from?
If not for you but for others information, KR Puram was really bad this morning. In ORR traffic was piled up from the start of the bridge at Kasturi Nagar and this was at 7:00 AM can imagine how will that be now? Post KR Puram it was free flow till Belandur but then this was at 7 in the morning.
Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks