Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2017, 10:34   #14611
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

And again on Mahadevpura flyover. Thanks to the holiday weekend. Else it would have been a nightmare for the office commuters today.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20170929_103047.jpg
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 14:49   #14612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
And again on Mahadevpura flyover. Thanks to the holiday weekend. Else it would have been a nightmare for the office commuters today.

Attachment 1680824
One more victim of those ill conceived dual flyovers on Bangalore outer ring road. Suddenly the right most lane has a split and there is a flyover starting in the middle of your lane. This with non-working street lamps and no reflectors is a perfect recipe for disaster. I am losing count of on how much such accidents have happened on this road. Still BBMP/BDA does not wake up

Last edited by nagarjun : 29th September 2017 at 14:51.
Old 30th September 2017, 12:19   #14613
BHPian

Even I not yet understood the rationale behind these dual flyovers on a straight road. I dont think I have seen these in any other city in India. Not only is it not safe as has been pointed out, it has made a complete mess of the life beneath these flyovers. So what has essentially happened is that left lanes have become bus stops and right lanes do not exist as we get closer to these flyovers. We also have very narrow service roads around these flyovers. Sadly, it looks like these are now irreversible damages.
Old 30th September 2017, 12:34   #14614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
Even I not yet understood the rationale behind these dual flyovers on a straight road. I dont think I have seen these in any other city in India. Not only is it not safe as has been pointed out, it has made a complete mess of the life beneath these flyovers. So what has essentially happened is that left lanes have become bus stops and right lanes do not exist as we get closer to these flyovers. We also have very narrow service roads around these flyovers. Sadly, it looks like these are now irreversible damages.
The center lanes are supposed to be for bus only. The plan is to eventually have system like Ahmedabad or Bhopal with high speed bus only lanes to ease commuting.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 18:44   #14615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
I guess it could be also to keep the metro train lines to pass in between the flyovers in future.
Old 30th September 2017, 22:13   #14616
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

With the holiday weekend in progress, Bangalore traffic has become so much nicer.
We did a round trip around the city visiting folks at various places along the outer ring road and reached home in good time. Icing on the cake was being able to cross silk board junction in couple of minutes and also driving along the JP Nagar section of outer ring all the way till Nayandahalli. Despite some in progress flyover construction work en route, made it in good time. And the return via KR market and central areas of the city was pure Bliss!

Last edited by NPV : 30th September 2017 at 22:14.
Old 3rd October 2017, 15:59   #14617
BHPian

I heard there was a long traffic jam at Tumkur toll yesterday. Since it was around 5 kms jam the toll operators had to allow the vehicles to pass without paying.
Old 4th October 2017, 15:06   #14618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
15,935 potholes on Bengaluru roads, says BBMP

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le19793039.ece
Old 4th October 2017, 15:20   #14619
BHPian

Quote:
That is nonsense. I can count an excess of 60 potholes big and small only in the Iblur service road towards Bangalore Central. Just one stretch of road.
Old 4th October 2017, 19:12   #14620
BHPian

Quote:
I guess it could be also to keep the metro train lines to pass in between the flyovers in future.
Ahh right, I hadnt thought about the metro.
Old 5th October 2017, 14:38   #14621
BHPian

Bangalore roads to be decorated-

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le19797431.ece
Old 5th October 2017, 14:59   #14622
Senior - BHPian

It's been raining in most parts since 2pm, brace for some heavy traffic in the evening.
Old 5th October 2017, 15:14   #14623
Team-BHP Support

Why does Google Maps ignore the NICE Road option?

Let's say I want to go from West Bangalore (Nagarbhavi BDA Complex) to East Bangalore (Sobha Habitech, Whitefield). Google Maps offers 3 routes, all of them awash with red:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-normal.jpg

Insane, but it even displays the "southern" Outer Ring Road option that takes 2 hours and 25 mins. But now, when I force Google Maps to take me via NICE road:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-nice.jpg

I have actually attempted this a couple of times, and NICE road is really stress free (OK, comparatively speaking) during rains or rush hour.

Last edited by SmartCat : 5th October 2017 at 15:16.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 15:33   #14624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Why does Google Maps ignore the NICE Road option?

Let's say I want to go from West Bangalore (Nagarbhavi BDA Complex) to East Bangalore (Sobha Habitech, Whitefield). Google Maps offers 3 routes, all of them awash with red:

Maybe its your personal experience, but the route through North Bangalore is more consistent and passes through lesser critical points compared to your route via Nice Road. Though it greatly depends upon the time of the day, in peak hours, your route via Nice road puts you at greater risk of running into a huge traffic jam at these places:
  • Right from PES Signal in Nayandahalli
  • Electronic City NICE exit
  • Sarjapur road
  • Then you are back on the Famed ORR stretch which comprises of all the Ecospace and Ecoworld cluster of companies where traffic jams redefine itself
  • Later you pass through Marathahalli Bridge, Spice Garden and Kundalahalli gate which is again, not places where you can drive calmly.
  • From Kundalahalli to Varthur again is a road where things can be very good or very bad.
After all this, you reach your destination. Though as you say this route makes sense if its raining or so but things will only be nice in until you exit nice road and enter that stretch between Bellandur and Marathahalli. Thats when anything can happen on the road.

Lets say you take the route through North Bangalore. The expected congestion will be in Gorguntepalya(which can be avoided using the Jalahalli turn), little in Hebbal, then in KR Pura and then, the slowdown will be near Hoodi and Big Bazaar junction. This is simple and straightforward and even in the worst case, you will not have uncontrolled junctions where gridlocks can occur. I would anyday prefer the north ORR from Nayandahalli to KR Puram via Hebbal compared to Nayandahalli to KR Puram via Silk board. The former is more consistent in terms of traffic movement and impact of weather, peak hours etc is lesser than what can happen around Marathahalli and Bellandur.

Last edited by audioholic : 5th October 2017 at 15:37.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 15:45   #14625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Maybe its your personal experience, but the route through North Bangalore is more consistent and passes through lesser critical points compared to your route via Nice Road.
If its NICE road NOW, here is the reason why NICE is still not a good option.

EC-Hosur road is choked right now. Jammed up NICE Exit, internal roads and everything else you can think of. This exit alone will be at hour's affair.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-nice-road-jam.png

Secondly, once you exit NICE, Google is not smart enough to tell you to take the elevated road because it involves some funny twists and turns to get onto that. But in reality if you know how to get there from NICE exit, you will reach Silkboard in less than 20 minutes from NICE exit via BETL including toll.

Apart from that, most of my colleagues at work never dare to take ORR from EC to Whitefield even at 3PM. They always take internal routes comprising of Huskur - Gunjur - Varthur mainly because this is consistent compared to ORR which is always unpredictable.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th October 2017 at 15:46.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks