Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2017, 13:23   #15196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
Merry Christmas. Let's rejoice because this is the season and also, as of today morning, BBMP has suspended white topping 'bhagya' until further notice.

And as of now, all work in progress will be finished by March.
Can't understand why the work that should havr been done after being planned and spread over a 5 year term was left to start for the last 4 months before election creating city wide chaos. The whole approach smacks of lack of seriousness and appears to be all about creating an eyewash before the elections.

Last edited by outdoorlover : 25th December 2017 at 13:24.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 17:16   #15197
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

This is what's happening near Madiwala. The entire stretch is now a single lane (what better time to do - when it's Christmas holidays). I had a tough time getting inside the city.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20171225_072852.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20171225_072859.jpg

Really sad to see the road conditions now. Used to love the roads a decade back and enjoyed driving. Shocked to see that they have dug up almost all the roads. Last year it was in front of my house in Davis road (which is exactly the same now. They haven't relaid it). Indira Nagar was equally bad as well and not to mention Church street. I hope the authorities will gain some sense and get it fixed.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 08:22   #15198
BHPian

http://m.deccanherald.com/section/7/...suspended.html

Looks like white topping has been suspended temporarily, oh what times we live in. A quixotic government with a stubbornness to boot.
mazda4life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 10:34   #15199
Senior - BHPian

Not a rant. Roads looked really empty today. Chandapura->ITPB in around 55mins flat!
Old 27th December 2017, 11:30   #15200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Not a rant. Roads looked really empty today. Chandapura->ITPB in around 55mins flat!
Been that way for a week.

As much as we try and look around for reasons why our traffic is a mess in Bangalore, we can blame the cabbies, the BWSSB, the cops, the government, that idiot on a bike, this idiot in his SUV, that moron going this way, this fool breaking that rule, as this week of easy going illustrates, the simple fact is there are just too many of us on the road in just too many vehicles (yes, me included).

Until that changes...let's all rant on! :(
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 12:22   #15201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
the simple fact is there are just too many of us on the road in just too many vehicles (yes, me included).
I concur with you. Unless many of us are pulled out of the roads (by giving more public transport facilities, or more people working from home) the current mess cannot have a permanent solution.
Old 27th December 2017, 12:54   #15202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
As much as we try and look around for reasons why our traffic is a mess in Bangalore... as this week of easy going illustrates, the simple fact is there are just too many of us on the road in just too many vehicles (yes, me included).
Rightly and beautifully put.

There are indeed too many vehicles trying to occupy the limited space available. Infrastructural development can only take care of a limited load of motors and men. Beyond that, it will always remain a quagmire. Until the day our Governments make public transport easy, accessible and comfortable and until majority of the population decides to utilise it, this and similar threads will keep on growing.

I find it really ironic to read that Bengaluru roads are free, not congested etc during holidays and weekends. Ironic because a good number of vehicles that would have been the protagonists of traffic jams would have shifted their stages to Mysuru, Kodagu, Chikkamagaluru etc.

Hence I firmly believe that in the current era:

Traffic Jams can never be cleared completely. They can only be shifted from one place to another.

Last edited by dailydriver : 27th December 2017 at 12:55.
Old 27th December 2017, 15:43   #15203
BHPian

Bangalore BHP'ians - Please dont bash me for this post

Just returned back to Chennai after a 3 day trip to Bangalore.

The roads in every part of the city seems to be non-existent.

Few examples:

a) The exit point at E-City flyover (Silk board) just ends abruptly. The descent is just horrible with a loud THUD.

b) The entire stretch of Bannerghatta Road is horrible (especially from VegaCity Mall to NICE road)

I really don't understand what the authorities are doing.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th December 2017 at 18:09. Reason: Typo
Prodigy07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 08:25   #15204
BHPian

Disclaimers don't help. To call out these areas is an absolute insult. To the rest of the roads in Bangalore. Especially with the BBMP playing the "not so secret" santa, gifting white topping to lucky commuters who take certain roads.

Note from Moderator: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 28th December 2017 at 11:55. Reason: See note in the post. Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 10:27   #15205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Rightly and beautifully put.

Traffic Jams can never be cleared completely. They can only be shifted from one place to another.
"Law of Traffic-Dynamics" indeed
I completely agree on the 'shifting of traffic' part. A big crowd moves out of Bangalore every weekend. I almost tend to feel that the traffic on weekends is worse than the weekdays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
The roads in every part of the city seems to be non-existent.
I really don't understand what the authorities are doing.
These are the roads you should never venture on the days leading to a long weekend. The traffic comes to an absolute standstill. Reason being the sheer volume of vehicle commuting to TN or via NICE Road.

And we Bangaloreans feel sorry for the authorities. There's not much they can do on such days.
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 19:43   #15206
BHPian

This private bus driver trying to take a "U" turn which was never there . As a result blocked traffic both ways leading to mammoth traffic jam on kundalahalli road.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-3.jpg  

Old 28th December 2017, 23:33   #15207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This is what's happening near Madiwala. The entire stretch is now a single lane (what better time to do - when it's Christmas holidays). I had a tough time getting inside the city.
I needed to go to Panthur (behind Ecoworld/ Cisco) for a housewarming. Google maps stated 53 min. Reality was 100 min. Traffic was backed up from Adugodi onwards since compressing two dual lane traffic from Hosur Road and Hosa Road into one single lane requires a miracle.

Returned via the "foamy" Bellandur route. It still took me an hour. Tomorrows adventure will be a wedding in Singasanda. Me thinks a trip via the Inner Ring Road will make more sense.

Last edited by ajmat : 28th December 2017 at 23:55.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 07:46   #15208
Senior - BHPian

traffic jam from forum until the koramangala water tank signal. This is because of the madiwala road blocked towards silkboard from st.johns side. I hope that the work is completed by next week else it would be a nightmare.
Old 29th December 2017, 09:19   #15209
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to mention two things that is going to create significant impact on the traffic situation in the coming days.

1. Demolition of the Jayadeva flyover will start by end of January. According to this article in TOI, work on moving electric cables, posts have started after which the road widening and the demolition process will start. Since it is closer to the hospital, demolition will not be done using explosives and hence would take close to 3 months for it to complete. It is also mentioned that the work will be done only during night time (10 pm to 6 am) and road will be completely barricaded.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-jayadeva-flyover.jpg

It is going to be a nightmare welcome of new year for the people residing/travelling on this stretch. And to think that this stretch is actually a ring road .

2. Work on the proposed steel flyover from minerva junction until hudson circle junction is also planned to start from Jan next year. This flyover has been proposed/planned from long. According to this article from BM, the bidder is already identified and the plan has been submitted for approval.

This being a very important stretch connecting to CBD, I am not sure how the traffic would be managed once the work starts. This flyover is very much needed as I have seen traffic get blocked from townhall junction all the way till minerva circle and beyond.

Mods, sorry for the back to back post. Please merge the posts together as the edit time for my previous post was long exceeded.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 29th December 2017 at 09:31.
Old 29th December 2017, 09:21   #15210
Team-BHP Support

My area must be missing the festive traffic respite. I spent nearly an hour along the Lalbagh-Corporation Circle stretch around noon yesterday, jammed for no apparent reason. Stubborn cabbie refused to take another route

Most Viewed