Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2018, 15:32   #15586
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Solid rain in Yelahanka area. Thankfully a holiday else traffic would have been totally nightmarish. Pity the holiday outing plans though for people in city.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 15:40   #15587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Solid rain in Yelahanka area. Thankfully a holiday else traffic would have been totally nightmarish. Pity the holiday outing plans though for people in city.
I would call this monstrous. Super windy and pouncing heavily too that the wind is finding every single gap and making a whistling noise all over the house.

This is heading towards the city as I see and it's going to be a tough day for motorists today while returning home.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 16:01   #15588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I would call this monstrous. Super windy and pouncing heavily too that the wind is finding every single gap and making a whistling noise all over the house.

This is heading towards the city as I see and it's going to be a tough day for motorists today while returning home.
That red patch neatly covers Yelahanka! Massive thunder and lightning too. Hope no casualties.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20180330155937.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 18:44   #15589
BHPian

Hi All,

My parents are travelling tomorrow and flight is at 6.30AM departure.

Received this below message from airlines while I did web check in. Did any one use the airport route today and can share the current situation?

I also read that toll plaza dept. are requesting for ~25 police personnel for protection.

Thanks,
-Badri
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-whatsapp-image-20180331-6.34.12-pm.jpeg  

Full_Minchingu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 00:42   #15590
BHPian

I was returning from airport today. As usual the taxi took the alternate route(begur road) out of airport. 2 minutes into the drive, a group of 10 people were blocking the road and forcing all the vehicles to turn around and go. The reason they gave was, there was an accident and hence road is closed. The attitude was more like, "you use only the toll road".
Old 2nd April 2018, 04:30   #15591
BHPian

As of Mar 31 night the toll collection has not yet started while going towards the airport.
Old 2nd April 2018, 15:16   #15592
Senior - BHPian

No wonder the toll rates are so high.. Bouncer charges included?
I've seen this in several places, the non toll roads are blocked or dug up. There is even a temple in the middle of the alternate road in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gt View Post
I was returning from airport today. As usual the taxi took the alternate route(begur road) out of airport. 2 minutes into the drive, a group of 10 people were blocking the road and forcing all the vehicles to turn around and go. The reason they gave was, there was an accident and hence road is closed. The attitude was more like, "you use only the toll road".
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 16:08   #15593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
No wonder the toll rates are so high.. Bouncer charges included?
In Kerala the cops themselves do the honours. :-)

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/curr...ng-techie.html
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 16:20   #15594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
In Kerala the cops themselves do the honours. :-)
This happened, I guess two years back. But there is a twist to this story. As per the then Home Minister "police officer" Raveendran was transferred to Northern Kerala (from the central Kerala district of Thrissur). Every body rejoiced.

But the truth was different. The minister cleverly used the name of another officer who had requested transfer to the Crime Dett. in Kasaragod. K.K Raveendran was posted to Special Branch in Thrissur City . K.K Raveendran retired as Dy.SP Special Branch at Thrissur 2-3 months back.

From his home; his previous office was around 15-20kms to the South direction, and his new office was 15-20kms to the North direction.
Old 3rd April 2018, 10:12   #15595
BHPian

I hearby recommend that Team-BHP changes its rules for the award of the Distinguished BHPian badge. The qualification will now be that you have to cross the Chinappanahalli railway crossing during peak hours, at least five times, without getting dinged by a two wheeler.

For this is the sight that greets you at this honourable spot ; you are expected to navigate through that.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20180402_183347.jpg
Secretariat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 10:56   #15596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
I hearby recommend that Team-BHP changes its rules for the award of the Distinguished BHPian badge. The qualification will now be that you have to cross the Chinappanahalli railway crossing during peak hours, at least five times, without getting dinged by a two wheeler.

For this is the sight that greets you at this honourable spot ; you are expected to navigate through that.

Attachment 1748055

I am eligible for this. I cross this railway gate at least once a week or two when I choose to commute via the ORR. Till date, my car has not been touched by a two wheeler or other car here. I also want company HRs to see how well behaved their so called educated and qualified employees are. There is absolute lack of common sense, basic life safety or what not, forget traffic rules. The attitude shown by people here is a pretty good representation of some of the products/services their companies deliver. They just want to get ahead and get the job done, and get the feeling that they saved money or fuel. However the reality is that they will end up putting more wear and tear on the vehicles and end up with frequent bruises. Come on, now it is like a standard practice to block both sides of a railway gate. Then they want to fight their way out like a battle once the gates open.

I got stuck in such a situation on my Dio but in a different place, this being a narrower road near some Dental college off Marathahalli. The gates closed and I parked my vehicle to the side. By the time the two wheelers could even move after the gates opened, I was able to eat a packet full of chips and a bottle of cool drink. This was easily 15 minutes.

Same way, in the junction near Whitefield Honda, I see a truckload of bikes waiting to cross a small gap in the median, while they could have saved time and fuel by just going 100 meters ahead and taking a wider and more official U turn. Keep the rules aside, taking a shortcut should give some benefit right? Here there is none, apart from the mental feeling that they accomplished something which no one knows what it is.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 11:14   #15597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post

Attachment 1748055

I cross this junction 5 days a week, Monday to Friday.
It is a brilliant example of our 'me first' mentality.
Once the main row of cars is full, two wheelers and autos make 2-3 additional rows. Once that is full, they continue to drive till the gate and stop in the wrong lane. By the time the train crosses, there are 10-12 lanes on either side racing their engines to cross the rail-road crossing, as if crossing it first carries a multi million cash prize.

Many a times I have seen a guy who parks his activa on the side and actually gets down to regulate the flow of traffic once the gates open.
I appreciate his efforts, a real good Samaritan. I ensure I thank him by giving him a thumps up whenever I cross him.

Similarly, forming multiple lanes by blocking oncoming traffic is a common phenomena at the Akme Encore - Hamuman temple junction. Here, it is not only the two wheelers and autos which break lane discipline. Cabbies, private cars and even tempo travelers are the culprits. And the best part is, there are 4-5 policemen at the junction, completely oblivious to this situation.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 3rd April 2018 at 11:18.
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:29   #15598
Senior - BHPian

You guys are making a mountain of a molehill.
This is a scenario in every signal. Even buses go on the wrong side of the median to get a jump on people waiting for the signal. And this is done with the blessings of traffic police who will only catch people from whom they can collect money, not poor 2-wheelers, taxis, autos or buses.
Even in Yeshwanthpur signal which has 2 police stations on the signal, this happens everyday along with signal jumping, triple riding, helmet less travel, etc.
In India, it is a given that only a fool will stand behind another vehicle when he can edge beside it. And this is based on sound reasoning and common sense. What if the vehicle in front has difficulty in starting, then you're stuck behind it. So always squeeze beside any stopped vehicle.
Amazed how you guys even got your licenses without even knowing this basic fact.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:57   #15599
BHPian

he he he!

From Kashmir to Kanyakumari, from Himachal Pradesh to Hennur, from Madhya Pradesh to Mysore, people in India will ride/drive the same way.

That is why it is so easy for us to take our vehicles out anywhere in the country and get used to those conditions like fish to water .
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 16:05   #15600
Distinguished - BHPian

Vinayak Skoda has a special hell waiting for naive customers visiting their Okalipuram (Majestic) workshop.

A tiny stretch of road with some of the most unruly 2 + 3 + 4 wheeler traffic I have ever seen. I think it's a fantastic execution of a strategy to increase body-shop business.

I would have NEVER visited them had it not been barely 10 minutes from my office.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20180403183543__01.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd April 2018 at 16:10.

Most Viewed