Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2018, 12:21   #16546
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Starting metro constructions will make it the ultimate hell.
Well, that's not going to happen anytime soon: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/67119742.cms

BMRCL has canceled the tender for the ORR stretch of the Metro because of IL&FS's situation.

Bad news for the long-term of course. But in the short-term it means we have more time to search for jobs elsewhere and get out of this area before the Metro works starts! Of course the traffic situation will keep getting worse anyway as more companies move here.

But right now it's also end of the year traffic bliss here!
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 12:58   #16547
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Well, that's not going to happen anytime soon: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/67119742.cms

BMRCL has canceled the tender for the ORR stretch of the Metro because of IL&FS's situation.
!
Well, it is better, that this was highlighted now than mid project. Just hope the tendering can be done in double quick time
Old 17th December 2018, 13:33   #16548
Distinguished - BHPian

Right of way?
See how wrong side driving in Bangalore is getting extreme:

As someone driving legally right, you are squeezed from wrong side traffic from both sides!!

So, all that traffic on my left side is taking the wrong side. Oh wait, there are few more on my right too, again on the right side

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th December 2018 at 13:36.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 16:26   #16549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Right of way?
See how wrong side driving in Bangalore is getting extreme:

As someone driving legally right, you are squeezed from wrong side traffic from both sides!!

So, all that traffic on my left side is taking the wrong side. Oh wait, there are few more on my right too, again on the right side
Where is this ? Its not alarming for fellow drivers in Bangalore and many have seen worse. But its shocking in the general sense. A day will soon come when people will forget which is the right way and go the way they please and justify it and scold folk who try to reason with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Well, it is better, that this was highlighted now than mid project. Just hope the tendering can be done in double quick time
Since there is no space to go overhead and it will result in a huge mess of traffic and commute of thousands of people employed on ORR , wouldn't an underground dig be preferrable ? Albeit expensive seems to the only sensible solution.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th December 2018 at 18:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged + removing youtube URL from quoted post.
Old 17th December 2018, 16:55   #16550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Since there is no space to go overhead and it will result in a huge mess of traffic and commute of thousands of people employed on ORR , wouldn't an underground dig be preferrable ? Albeit expensive seems to the only sensible solution.
Well going purely by what we saw during the Metro Phase 1 construction (through news reports at the time) - the rock below Bangalore was reported to be pretty hard, the tunneling took longer than expected and several Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) drill bits or drill rotating heads or whatever had to be replaced by shipping them from abroad at great cost. I think I remember reading somewhere that the cost difference between going overhead and underground is about three times. Also, an underground metro doesn't mean traffic overhead will be completely undisturbed, from what I recall, the traffic on Cubbon Road was disrupted during the construction of the UG metro, even at Majestic. Probably to a lesser extent than it would have been if they had gone overhead I guess, but still. The TBMs themselves are massive things, they need to be shipped in and a large space is required to assemble them before they get started drilling, and again to dismantle them after they breakthrough. For phase 1 they had the Majestic Bus stop area and a couple of other vacant government properties to use for that purpose, so they did not need to disrupt road traffic.

Again, during Phase-1 they needed to bring whole teams of foreign operators and experts to operate the TBMs, from Thailand I think. Not sure how many companies have that expertise.

Phase 2 calls for 'innovative' funding. Which basically means BMRCL needs to raise a significant percentage of funds through sale of space, advertising, partnerships with private companies, etc., so costs are definitely a consideration.

Finally, compared to the congested city center, this ORR stretch does have much wider roads on which pillar construction can happen. Granted every square inch of those roads is occupied by traffic but they won't have to acquire properties here, which as we saw during Phase 1 was the biggest roadblock. Taking all of this into consideration, the recommendation by BMRCL will always be elevated for this area.

(I'm not for or against an UG or elevated approach, just listing the points I can remember.)

Last edited by am1m : 17th December 2018 at 17:00.
Old 17th December 2018, 17:14   #16551
BHPian

Quote:
A day will soon come when people will forget which is the right way and go the way they please and justify it and scold folk who try to reason with them.
Well this already is happening, recently we saw that video posted where the cab drivers tries to pick up fight with a biker in traffic and returns with blows to his own face.

Last edited by vidyanand : 17th December 2018 at 17:15. Reason: removed extra quote
Old 17th December 2018, 17:21   #16552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Well going purely by what we saw during the Metro Phase 1 construction (through news reports at the time) - the rock below Bangalore was reported to be pretty hard, the tunneling took longer than expected and several Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) drill bits or drill rotating heads or whatever had to be replaced by shipping them from abroad at great cost.
Very interesting points you have made. But in case of Hosur road where there is a single flyover built in the middle of the road the traffic is partitioned much better. Same thing with Tumkur road from Yeshwantpur-Peenya section. The road is much wider and well planned and done. ORR seems to be planned without a thought especially flyovers. Also the roads are not rated for this much volume of traffic. Also the lack of pedestrian infrastructure , proper bus stops or rather no clear definition of bus stops slows down the already voluminous traffic flow. Case in point Maratahalli which starting from Adobe building well upto Doddanekundi is a very long bus stop. All sorts of buses stop at multiple locations with Maratahalli. Its ridiculous.
Its scary to think where Metro pillars will come and worst of all where stations will be. I think UG Metro is logical , but then again when do the authorities who plan and build think logically and with some degree of discipline.
Old 17th December 2018, 20:11   #16553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I'll top you.

I found a moron wearing noise cancelling headphones while driving his Santro while watching a video on his mobile in rush hour traffic. This is not the first time I have seen such morons. They are just a ticking disaster waiting to happen.
The answer is in this thread itself. Traffic.
When you spend 2-3 hrs in traffic, you tend to use this time to talk to your near and dear ones. I don't do this now, but when I was working in rural TN, traveling 120 kms plus a day, I used to talk to my friends using the bluetooth on my ford Figo during my drive.
When can taxi drivers, auto drivers, BMTC, truck drivers, etc, who spend the whole day in the vehicles talk? The solution is part of the problem.
Old 18th December 2018, 05:33   #16554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
The answer is in this thread itself. Traffic.
When you spend 2-3 hrs in traffic, you tend to use this time to talk to your near and dear ones. I don't do this now, but when I was working in rural TN, traveling 120 kms plus a day, I used to talk to my friends using the bluetooth on my ford Figo during my drive.
When can taxi drivers, auto drivers, BMTC, truck drivers, etc, who spend the whole day in the vehicles talk? The solution is part of the problem.

I am not talking about talking on phone over Bluetooth handsfree. This is about watching movies over noise cancelling headphones while driving. How can this be compared?
speedmiester is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 08:33   #16555
BHPian

As per some of my friends, traffic is very bad at the start of the elevated expressway near silk board going towards ecity and on the expressway. Not sure yet what the cause is, but better to avoid using this route for a while till this calms down.
Old 18th December 2018, 09:04   #16556
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Where is this ?
Anepalya Junction, Adugodi where Bannerghatta Road starts.

Quote:
Its not alarming for fellow drivers in Bangalore and many have seen worse. But its shocking in the general sense.
Since quite a few months, I have started to take this as normal. They do this right in front of the cops.

Near my home too, I had asked a lady constable manning a junction on how right in from of them School buses enter from the wrong side and the 2 wheeler riders dont even wear helmets.

Her answer : We can't do anything as our bosses have told us to allow

Quote:
A day will soon come when people will forget which is the right way and go the way they please and justify it and scold folk who try to reason with them.
The best place to witness maximum chaos is at EC Phase 1 Junction. You will never know which is the right time to stop and go. The most suitable place to unlearn about traffic lights and treat them as mere decorative lights.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 10:06   #16557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
As per some of my friends, traffic is very bad at the start of the elevated expressway near silk board going towards ecity and on the expressway. Not sure yet what the cause is, but better to avoid using this route for a while till this calms down.
This is the reason for that chaos.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20181217wa0007.jpg
And there is this normal case of people who want to go below the elevated road on the left side come all the way to the right and block the entire road.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 10:11   #16558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
This is due to maintenance works on the elevated highway.
They are not allowing buses and heavy vehicles to use this highway until the works are completed.

Heavy vehicles including buses towards electronics city to be restricted on elevated flyover
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 10:20   #16559
BHPian

Quote:
The best place to witness maximum chaos is at EC Phase 1 Junction. You will never know which is the right time to stop and go. The most suitable place to unlearn about traffic lights and treat them as mere decorative lights.
On a lighter note, it is Christmas season and the decorative lights would be very appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
This is due to maintenance works on the elevated highway.
They are not allowing buses and heavy vehicles to use this highway until the works are completed.
I got to know about this chaos in the morning and stayed back home till this gets resolved(would try my luck at 11). If they'd decided this beforehand why not manage it better? It is anyways chaotic to get around the buses parked in the middle of the road at the silk board service road from hsr side, if that wasn't enough you go a little ahead only to find out that they have again parked it in the middle of the road at the Roopena Agrahara bus stop below the foot overbridge. On another note, I am of the opinion that the elevated expressway is too narrow(only two lanes exact, no extra space) to accommodate all kinds of vehicles. I would be happy if they don't allow heavy vehicles at all (or cars, or bikes, just make it easier for the rest of the folks).
Old 18th December 2018, 12:14   #16560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Her answer : We can't do anything as our bosses have told us to allow
Wow! I understand if the cops are too overloaded and these things slip by, but why would the top cop management set this sort of expectation?! Crazy.

What incentive will drivers have to follow traffic rules other than the fear of the law?
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks