Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2018, 12:41   #16606
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
So does that absolve BMTC from following any traffic rules and discipline?
And it is not the car owners, but also media which agrees that BMTC is no saint
https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...nts-2018-94003
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/62559505.cms

Any avoidable death is lamentable. As you state BMTC is no saint, especially those Volvos. Having said that, the BMTC & Cabs tend to be an easy punching bag.
On many narrow roads where BMTC is forced to ply, a general observation I have had is that smaller automobiles (2,3 & 4 wheelers) are generally more indisciplined and contribute more to the haphazard traffic and accidents than the buses.

Looking at statistics, out of 642 deaths in 2017, BMTC contributed to 45? So, 90% of the killers are of other categories. That means there are other bigger killers out there.

http://bengalurupost.com/a-bright-si...nts-this-year/
Old 31st December 2018, 12:52   #16607
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think anyone will say BMTC is not responsible for it's share of the traffic chaos (and probably more than that too). The point is not cabs versus private vehicles, or private vehicles versus BMTC, or bikes versus cars, or anything versus anything.

I think the point being made is that public transport and provisions to increase it's usage by making it more efficient, and also ways to discourage private vehicle and cab usage is probably the best way to deal with Bangalore traffic issues. That's accepted wisdom in cities the world over.

Last edited by am1m : 31st December 2018 at 12:55.
Old 31st December 2018, 15:02   #16608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Any avoidable death is lamentable. As you state BMTC is no saint, especially those Volvos. Having said that, the BMTC & Cabs tend to be an easy punching bag.
Looking at statistics, out of 642 deaths in 2017, BMTC contributed to 45? So, 90% of the killers are of other categories. That means there are other bigger killers out there.
BMTC is not the only culprit but they act like they are above the law. Let me state an incident from yesterday at Hebbal.
When you reach Hebbal signal on the ORR from Manyata side, there is a no U-turn board. But many BMTC buses take the turn by turning right from the extreme left blocking all other vehicles who have a green to go straight. Once I narrowly missed being rear-ended by a truck when I had to brake suddenly to avoid one such bus. Yesterday, I was on the right most lane and there were many traffic cops stationed at the junction. When I questioned them about allowing the illegal u-turn for BMTC, the response was, "sir woh badmash hai, hamara baat nahin sunta", sir they are morons, won't listen to us
Old 1st January 2019, 19:26   #16609
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove towards Koramangala after a long time on Inner ring road couple days ago and on the way back to Indira Nagar, just after the Ejipura traffic signal, on the median I noticed an electronic display of "Your Speed" and it was working just fine. Hadn't seen this ever before, not sure how long it's been around.
Old 1st January 2019, 21:08   #16610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I noticed an electronic display of "Your Speed" and it was working just fine. Hadn't seen this ever before, not sure how long it's been around.
This was kept on hosur road near kudlu gate. It went kaput after 2 weeks. I think it couldn't take the load of cars flying by.
john.gt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 00:11   #16611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
electronic display of "Your Speed" and it was working just fine. Hadn't seen this ever before, not sure how long it's been around.
I remember there was a hoax post about the same mentioning those as speed guns, it was discussed here too i guess.

This was about a similar display near Hebbal flyover. I have seen one near KR puram on ORR & one on Sarjapur road near Carmelaram.
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:53   #16612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gt View Post
This was kept on hosur road near kudlu gate. It went kaput after 2 weeks. I think it couldn't take the load of cars flying by.
I think they installed these all over the place. I know of this one on IRR and one on Sarjapur Road. And I think I've seen one on ORR. The one on Airport Road was discussed here itself.
Old 2nd January 2019, 13:29   #16613
Distinguished - BHPian

The bad news for Jan: Bangalore traffic is slowly coming back to 'normal' (that is, crazy) after the lovely low of the holiday season. Expect normal service (that is full-on crazy) to resume from Monday.

The good news for Jan: The Purple Line of the Metro is back to full service (trains between Indiranagar and Majestic had been stopped for a few days for pillar repair work at Trinity). The first of the 6-car trains for the Green Line are supposed to start in Jan. And the foot over bridge between the City Railway Metro station and Platform 10 of Majestic is finally going to be opened sometime this month.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 13:58   #16614
BHPian

Quote:
Drove towards Koramangala after a long time on Inner ring road couple days ago and on the way back to Indira Nagar, just after the Ejipura traffic signal, on the median I noticed an electronic display of "Your Speed" and it was working just fine. Hadn't seen this ever before, not sure how long it's been around.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le23281263.ece
Old 2nd January 2019, 17:34   #16615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I noticed an electronic display of "Your Speed" and it was working just fine.
It does act a bit strange when there are many vehicles. I was doing around 60kmph towards KIAL and noticed it showed 65kmph. Not sure whether this would help (I could see Maybach, M3, Porsche zipping past me) .
Old 2nd January 2019, 17:56   #16616
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
It does act a bit strange when there are many vehicles. I was doing around 60kmph towards KIAL and noticed it showed 65kmph. Not sure whether this would help (I could see Maybach, M3, Porsche zipping past me) .
I think the sensor is angled to the fast lane only and gets confused by the sheer weight of traffic at busy times.

Could also be confused as it only displays 2 digits. The overwhelming majority of cars do 100+
Old 3rd January 2019, 18:15   #16617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I remember there was a hoax post about the same mentioning those as speed guns, it was discussed here too i guess.

This was about a similar display near Hebbal flyover. I have seen one near KR puram on ORR & one on Sarjapur road near Carmelaram.
The electronic display of speed might not have a speed gun, but I definitely have seen first hand a speed gun operating between Hosa Road Junction and Kudlu Gate when travelling towards silk board. I was a front seat passenger in a car which got clicked for travelling fast on this stretch(I believe this is the only stretch where Fast and Hosur road can be mentioned in the same sentence ). Initially we took it easy and didnt bother much, but a month or so later the driver/owner received the ticket at his home address with the pic of speeding. This was long back and I dont know if that system still works. For all we know, some local victim might have removed that speed gun
Old 3rd January 2019, 18:53   #16618
Senior - BHPian

I was driving back from Tirunelveli and reached Bangalore around 2330 on 1.1.19. I was stuck in a traffic jam on Mico factory road due to civil works. At that time, I got thinking as to where all these vehicles are going to or coming from. So I was looking around for commercial establishments. The only ones which were open were Imperial hotel on Miller's road and a few small shops on Sultanpalya Main road. From my late night drives in Bangalore, I know that most places including petrol bunks in Bangalore close by 2230-2300. But there is heavy traffic even at 0300. Now are all these people on joy rides? What keeps Bangalore roads awake at night. Now in places like Chennai, Karur, Madurai, etc where there is night traffic, I've seen shops and eateries open. But Bangalore is dead except for the vehicles. Can anyone shed some light on this aberration?
Old 3rd January 2019, 23:23   #16619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchandra13 View Post
This was long back and I dont know if that system still works. For all we know, some local victim might have removed that speed gun
If you are mentioning about the speed cameras installed below BETL, then it is not working since past few years. However, around the same place is a regular spot for police interceptor, you will find them on most days there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Can anyone shed some light on this aberration?
Yes, compared to some 4 years back there is now considerable night traffic on ORR too. Usually when I drive through ORR early in the morning (~4:00 AM) it used to be a peaceful drive, that is not the case now. However, it looks like most of the traffic is those returning from office after night shift/ office cabs.
Old 7th January 2019, 07:43   #16620
BHPian

Has whitetopping completed in front of manyata tech park?

Most Viewed