Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2019, 07:52   #16621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshiqueS View Post
Has whitetopping completed in front of manyata tech park?
Yes, from Hebbal to Manyata it's done.The otherway is still pending. As a side note whitetopping in front of HBR Layout to Hennur junction is still a WIP.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 10:00   #16622
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
I think you need to see the junction in Tindivanam (towards Pondy), you will find a proper roundabout with signals over the top of the flyover. I don't know if it was constructed before the Richmond road wonder.
LOL this one takes the cake. Has 3 bus stops(make shift shelters), one round about and the Tindivanam -Chennai Highway traverses through this flyover.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 10:01   #16623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
And the foot over bridge between the City Railway Metro station and Platform 10 of Majestic is finally going to be opened sometime this month.
Oh man. Almost 4 years to build a FOB or Foot Over Bridge! The pace is no different to how long it took to build and commission the Byapanahalli to MG Road stretch.

This will be a huge relief for those transiting from the metro to the main railway station. The current arrangement is a nightmare. It is almost a mud road, isn't pedestrian or disabled friendly and god help you if it rains.
Old 7th January 2019, 12:23   #16624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Oh man. Almost 4 years to build a FOB or Foot Over Bridge!
You said it man! Really such a shame that this took so long. IR seems determined to play spoilsport to the Metro. Why can't 2 government agencies just work together?! It's crazy!

But like you said, it's a huge relief. I take a train almost every month from Platform 10. Since the current path from the City Station Metro stop and Majestic station is so awful, I get off at the Majestic metro stop and walk to platform 10. With this FoB, should be much easier, especially for elderly people with luggage.

In other news, full-on-mad-traffic (or as we know it in Bangalore- normal traffic) is back! True to form, some small road digging work is going on at some parts on the side of the Bellandur Lake road. Of course they could not do that during the past month when traffic was at an all-time low, they HAD to start on the very day traffic returns to 'normal'. It never ends here in Namma beloved Bengaluru! Happy days are here again!

Last edited by am1m : 7th January 2019 at 12:24.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 12:46   #16625
BHPian

Quote:
For techies frozen in traffic jams on Hosur Road flyover, jokes and memes about Silk Board Junction may no longer seem funny. Ongoing work on the flyover leading to Electronics City has led to increased commuting hours, and a struggle to work out some kind of work-life balance.Techies who commute during peak hours are being forced to spend a lot more time on the road. As a result, several firms have pushed back timings of their transport services and log-in hours, which has also led to tougher daily schedules for them. Some are not able to clock the mandated number of hours in office. With the yearly appraisal due in March at most firms, many feel the disruption, though necessary, comes at an inconvenient time.
Source.
I can relate to this. It wasn't like it was smooth before this work began, but boy has it worsened. Today there was a ~5KM pile up on the flyover towards Electronics City, i was lucky i chose to ride today and took me an hour from Bellandur(driving would've definitely taken more than 1.5hrs)! There is no options left for regular commuters(myself included) on this route. And then you come across the below news
Quote:
A nationwide strike called by various trade bodies on Tuesday and Wednesday is likely to throw life out of gear across the state. Several trade bodies, transport employees unions, including KSRTC and BMTC, taxi operators and bank employees union have extended support to the ‘general strike’ in protest against the anti-people policies of the Centre.

As the KSRTC and BMTC employees union has extended support to the strike, there will be disruption in those services. The dawn-to-dusk bandh on both days is supported by other smaller transport bodies like autorickshaw unions and taxi operators' associations.
Source.
Old 7th January 2019, 16:28   #16626
Senior - BHPian

Need an information. My wife will need to catch an early morning (6 am) flight on 11 Jan. Whether KIAS-4 still starts service from HAL Main Gate at 3 am?

Last edited by airbus : 7th January 2019 at 16:29. Reason: Minor correction.
Old 7th January 2019, 17:02   #16627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Need an information. My wife will need to catch an early morning (6 am) flight on 11 Jan. Whether KIAS-4 still starts service from HAL Main Gate at 3 am?

KIAS4 starts only at 0700 while KIAS6 which starts from Kadugodi has its first departure at 0500 and passes the HAL main gate 54 minutes after its departure. Both these would not be of any use to you. You can check the schedules on mybmtc.com app from your mobile.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 17:04   #16628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, according to the schedule published on the website and according to the timings posted on the bus stop there is a bus at 3am and one at 4am (I am consulting a photo of the timings that I took on my phone in Nov 2018 at the JB Nagar stop) . Hopefully those timings have not changed. You can call 7760991264 or 7760991269 to check (again, those where the numbers published at the bus stop).

There will be a lot of people who will advise you to take a cab, but I've caught the same bus from the JB Nagar stop at 4.10am before and they are usually very reliable. I would rather take an airport bus that early in the morning than a cab, the bus drivers have shifts and are usually alert as opposed to cabbies who are usually sleepy at that time. Plus there is the safety of other passengers on the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
KIAS4 starts only at 0700
Is that a recent change? Source of info please.

Last edited by am1m : 7th January 2019 at 17:06.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 17:24   #16629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My wife will need to catch an early morning (6 am) flight on 11 Jan. Whether KIAS-4 still starts service from HAL Main Gate at 3 am?
I used to take the 4 AM service for 6 AM flights. At that time the ride to the airport takes about an hour. Pre-printed boarding card and not having baggage to check-in helps.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 20:16   #16630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I used to take the 4 AM service for 6 AM flights. At that time the ride to the airport takes about an hour. Pre-printed boarding card and not having baggage to check-in helps.
Years ago (2011) it used to start at 4am. No update if they have changed the timings.
Old 7th January 2019, 21:26   #16631
Distinguished - BHPian

Happened to go to HSR side today. Was shocked to see the traffic on the return. Backed up all the way from Ecospace to past the Agara flyover at 12PM. Would expect traffic to thin out between 11-3. Looks like no such respite for the ORR.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 21:46   #16632
Senior - BHPian

Traffic was really bad both in the morning and evening for me on ORR.

Its really bad. In the new PRR, I dont see dedicated bus lanes in the middle or plans for mass train transit. Their planning is still the same for things that are planned for next 10-15 years. No new things, just make the roads like they used to. Allow commercial establishments very close to the road and keep creating hell everywhere.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 23:02   #16633
Team-BHP Support

Evening commutes are taking 1.5-2 hours from Mahadevapura on ORR to BSK 3rd Stage, even if I leave at 8PM, and this is if I take HAL Road or Old Mardas Road routes. Haven't dared venture on the Silk Board route for nearly a year now.
Old 8th January 2019, 07:54   #16634
Senior - BHPian

White topping begins on Hosur Road, between Madiwala Check Post and Adugodi. If you are coming from Madiwala and want to go straight towards Adugodi, you can't. All traffic is being diverted towards Dairy Circle.

I saw this diversion in place on my way to work this morning.
KiloAlpha is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 08:10   #16635
BHPian

Decreased number of operational BMTC buses and zero school buses meant the morning drive to office was a bliss. Hail the Labor Strike (Sorry for the people adversely impacted).

Side note, I have been reading about the BMTC vs Pvt Cars vs Cabs vs Two Wheelers being the culprit for the traffic we face. It got me thinking and I came up with the below analogy.

Imagine a family of two - husband and wife. They have a double bed to sleep on comfortably. Then, the family grows and two children join it. The bed remains the same. Now, these four cannot sleep comfortably. When the children are away, the parents sleep in peace. When the parents are away, the children sleep in peace. Its the same case on Bangalore roads.
When the BMTCs are away (like on the day of a strike), the vehicles encounter less roadblocks, slow moving jams etc. When the cars are taken off the road (ex. the vacation season), the free flowing traffic becomes a bliss.

Now, it is wrong for anyone to say that the parents should not sleep or the children should not sleep. Its the inadequate sleeping infrastructure which is the main problem. True, if the parents knew they could not afford a bigger or another bed, the children should not have been brought into this world (The Govt. failing to match the infrastructure with the growth of population. After all, it is the Govt. agencies who approved the Tech Parks without thinking about road connectivity, Metro, etc).

So, 4 family members and a double bed is the problem which, as you can imagine, is a tough balancing act. The real deal is, in Bangalore, there are 10 family members and a single bed.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 8th January 2019 at 08:39.
drive2eternity is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed