Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2019, 09:31   #16636
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
So, 4 family members and a double bed is the problem which, as you can imagine, is a tough balancing act. The real deal is, in Bangalore, there are 10 family members and a single bed.
Like everything else in India, the motto here is "karo phir maro".. or do now and think later. This infectious jugaad/adjesht maadi mantra is deep inside all of us, because in India we never complain since we already know that we'll adjust to everything. This is the very reason why Mumbai is like this today and Delhi as well, in comparison Bangalore isn't all that bad yet.. another 30-40 lakh people migrating inwards and it'll become on par.

In Bangalore the main problems are zero lane discipline, 50% rule obedience, and slow driving/riding. People, especially cabs drive slowly, they hog lanes and have no regard for others, on the other hand there are a few morons hooning their way out of every situation. Why not adopt a middle path, stick to lanes, and go at 50 kmph consistent?

Barring the absolute discipline when it comes to driving/riding, the other alternative is that about 30-40 lakh population should re-distribute to other cities. No point blaming infrastructure, the ORR road on a holiday is fantastic.. once I covered IRR-Indiranagar-Baiyapanahalli-ORR-HSR in 45 minutes, good roads, good lighting and smooth drive with no over-speeding at all. The population is what is killing the city and we cannot exactly blame water shortage on nature because that is going to be the next greatest crisis and one which we cannot recover from.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 10:06   #16637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
When the children are away, the parents sleep in peace. When the parents are away, the children sleep in peace. Its the same case on Bangalore roads.
I think this is a great analogy. Thanks!

Bangalore now has a new problem: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67415289.cms

Metro doesn't want (parts of) the suburban rail to happen.

I also read that ZipGo was targeted after BMTC complained. And that BMTC complains that the Metro is eating into its profits.

With these agencies working at cross purposes, what hope does the average citizen have?
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 10:31   #16638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

With these agencies working at cross purposes, what hope does the average citizen have?
I think this is the biggest problem we are facing. Everyone seems to be extremely one dimensional with respect to what can help solve the city's traffic issues. Metro advocates want Metro everywhere, suburban train advocates want focus on that, flyover/road infra lovers want lot more roads and flyovers and widening, cycle lovers want dedicated cycle lanes all over, BMTC supporters want dedicated bus lanes.

The day decision makers agree (I am sure they already know it), that an integrated mechanism that is made up of all the above and is set up in a way to complement each other is what is needed, is when there will be hope of managing the traffic in this city.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 10:45   #16639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Barring the absolute discipline when it comes to driving/riding, the other alternative is that about 30-40 lakh population should re-distribute to other cities.
Totally agree with you. The bed is good and comfortable, just too many people want to sleep there at the same time. We need to de-centralize congestion. Grow the smaller towns near metropolis like Bangalore. ex. Tumkur. The Govt. should incentivize MNCs moving to such new places by building actual SEZs, not the name sake SEZs in the center of crowded areas which is currently happening (esp in Bangalore).

Quote:
I think this is a great analogy. Thanks!

Bangalore now has a new problem:
Wow ! Thanks for throwing light on this competition. Competition is a good thing. It should keep the different agencies on their toes but this is an absolutely rubbish approach. I never knew such a thing existed and was so wide spread. I agree each Govt. agency should make profit and be viable but the ultimate aim should be to be useful to the general public with profitability coming second. If these agencies can't work together, the citizens have no hope ever. I thought only BBMP vs BWSSB was a problem but this is epic. My salute to all agencies. Thanks but no thanks for your work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think this is the biggest problem we are facing. Everyone seems to be extremely one dimensional with respect to what can help solve the city's traffic issues.
Very well summarized. Myopia is leading us into the gutter. Thanks for your post.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 8th January 2019 at 11:06.
Old 8th January 2019, 12:00   #16640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
KIAS4 starts only at 0700
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Yes, according to the schedule published on the website and according to the timings posted on the bus stop there is a bus at 3am and one at 4am
Quote:
I used to take the 4 AM service for 6 AM flights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Years ago (2011) it used to start at 4am.
This morning I went to HAL bus stop to enquire about KIAS-4 timings and I was confirmed that KIAS-4 starts at 3 am. The attached schedule posted in January 2018 is still valid.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20190108_103840.jpg  

airbus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 13:58   #16641
BHPian

Not often do you get to see the ORR in Green at 2pm on a weekday. All thanks to the Bandh.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-bloreorr08jan1354.jpg  

sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 14:03   #16642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Happened to go to HSR side today. Was shocked to see the traffic on the return. Backed up all the way from Ecospace to past the Agara flyover at 12PM. Would expect traffic to thin out between 11-3. Looks like no such respite for the ORR.
Wow, how things change, I came that way at 1130 and encountered the queue from Agara flyover. The whole ORR towards Marathahalli from Agara was backed up!
Old 8th January 2019, 16:21   #16643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
This morning I went to HAL bus stop to enquire about KIAS-4 timings and I was confirmed that KIAS-4 starts at 3 am. The attached schedule posted in January 2018 is still valid.

Thanks for the update. My bad that I relied on the bmtc website.
Old 9th January 2019, 09:36   #16644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Not often do you get to see the ORR in Green at 2pm on a weekday. All thanks to the Bandh.
Yes, a blessing in disguise. Took just 20 mins to cross EC, Nice Road entrance at 7pm peak time.
Old 9th January 2019, 14:12   #16645
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have more info on what is the ongoing Repair work that is happening on the Elevated Tollway (BETL) on Hosur Road? I heard someone mention that the repair work is expected to go on till March 2019.

I have started to use the NICE Road as an alternative as of now to E-City. I wonder if it is due to the Bandh effect, but I managed to drive from Jayanagar to E-City in about 45 minutes today as compared to 1 hr 10 mins on Monday.
Old 9th January 2019, 14:53   #16646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Does anyone have more info on what is the ongoing Repair work that is happening on the Elevated Tollway (BETL) on Hosur Road? I heard someone mention that the repair work is expected to go on till March 2019.

I have started to use the NICE Road as an alternative as of now to E-City. I wonder if it is due to the Bandh effect, but I managed to drive from Jayanagar to E-City in about 45 minutes today as compared to 1 hr 10 mins on Monday.
Totally due to bandh effect. yesterday and today, reaching E-city from silk board was a breeze (on the fly-over), although this morning traffic was slightly up but not the usual. Guess, tomorrow it will be back to all it's glory.
Old 9th January 2019, 18:39   #16647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Totally due to bandh effect. yesterday and today, reaching E-city from silk board was a breeze (on the fly-over), although this morning traffic was slightly up but not the usual. Guess, tomorrow it will be back to all it's glory.
The wide U-turn immediately after Hosa Jn signal has been closed for metro work and has be replaced with a narrow one. A car would need to turn from the middle lane to make the turn in one go. This would certainly lead to a pile up from tomorrow. Even yesterday, at 9pm, vehicles were piling up. Add to that, the two and three wheelers sneaking in from left lane to go straight and take U-turns.
Old 10th January 2019, 07:51   #16648
Distinguished - BHPian

Some serious fog in North BLR. Be very careful please with most drivers driving at exactly the same speed as in clear weather :-(
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20190110wa0000.jpg  

itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 09:27   #16649
Distinguished - BHPian

Greed has no limits!!

Auto driver murdered for charging minimum fare

Quote:
Charging the normal fare and being friendly with passengers could prove fatal for a regular city autorickshaw driver.

In a shocking incident, a 67-year-old autorickshaw driver was beaten to death by a fellow auto driver at the Yamaluru autorickshaw stand last Wednesday.

Y M Narayana, a former staff at the Commercial Tax Department, and a resident of Yemaluru died soon after, when another auto driver Babu, hit him while passengers were boarding Narayana’s auto around 5 am on January 2. Babu (20), had a heated argument with Narayana on Wednesday over a fare offer he made to a potential passenger, the police said.

Narayana fell on the ground after Babu hit him in his privates. He soon fell unconscious, and succumbed to the injury. Following Narayana’s autopsy report, Babu was arrested and remanded in judicial custody. He is facing murder charges.

Narayana’s family was dumbfounded when the body was brought to the house. They later learnt about the murder over the trivial scuffle. Further on, his daughter Y N Prema filed a complaint with the Marathahalli police on January 7. Prema told DH that her father, after retirement in 2011, started driving the autorickshaw. He never used to demand excess money from passengers and was also keen on social service, she said.

Increasingly, over time, more passengers preferred Narayana’s vehicle over other autos. As he was operating around the ECOSPACE IT hub, many techies used to hire him. The other drivers at the auto-stand did not like Narayana for the very reason that they could not demand exorbitant fares in his presence.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 10:33   #16650
Distinguished - BHPian

Following on from my north BLR fog posted at 0730 today, wanted to highlight the pitiable state at KIAL this morning. Huge numbers of flights delayed both incoming and outgoing. A colleague has been sitting in a 6E aircraft from 0800 and has just deplaned as his journey is meaningless now.

KIAL should have been a minimum of CAT-II if not CAT-III from day one. Simply unacceptable for a 'new' airport not to have it given the huge investments made. Only when the NSPR (New South Parallel Runway) is up and running will KIAL get CAT-IIIB!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks