Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2019, 22:51   #16741
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

That Audi showroom/Veerasandra Junction has become hellish this week! Hopefully when the BETL is opened this weekend, it'll return back to Normalcy
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 10:40   #16742
BHPian

OT- I am traveling to Tirupati and train is from Yeshwantpur. Unfortunately in the morning around 8am no Uber or ola was not available. Hence came in my own car and parked the car in yeshwantpur railway station back gate. I will be back on Sunday evening. Will my car be safe? I know I should have checked this earlier but couldn't get time to check and for other alternatives. Has anyone done this before?
Old 8th February 2019, 10:48   #16743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Will my car be safe? I know I should have checked this earlier but couldn't get time to check and for other alternatives. Has anyone done this before?
Whether the car will be safe or not is something none of us can answer. However, there are many who park their cars at Yeshwantpur station beyond a day and take it while returning.

Plus, you have a receipt of the parking and the accountability is with the attendant that no car gets out without that receipt. That's all I can say.

Otherwise, how safe will your car be at the parked location from mischievous elements, we won't know even if many who have parked it here earlier had no incidents to report!

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th February 2019 at 11:32. Reason: As requested
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 10:49   #16744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
...Plus, you have a receipt of the parking and the accountability is with the attendant that no car gets out without that receipt. That's all I can say.
Thank you ! I have got the receipt and informed attendant too. Let's hope for the best!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th February 2019 at 09:34. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 11:07   #16745
Distinguished - BHPian

With Aero India 2019 coming up, please beware of low-flying aircraft and idiot road users stopping right in the middle of the road to watch them :-(.

Just yesterday, one of the IAF C17 landed at Yelahanka AFB (impressive sight I admit) and at least 3 vehicles just STOPPED bang in the middle of Bellary Road!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 11:17   #16746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
With Aero India 2019 coming up, please beware of low-flying aircraft and idiot road users stopping right in the middle of the road to watch them :-(.
OT but my work from home spree will have to pause soon after these flying beauties go on a rampage piercing all sound barriers all over Yelahanka.

Even the regular IAF flights that fly all day are quite noisy but not ear piercing.

And then when I drive to work everyday I will have enough to rant here on this thread
Old 9th February 2019, 11:58   #16747
BHPian

A rant against the sheer sadism of some traffic cops.

The chaos caused by the partial closure of BETL is well railed about in this thread. Friday evening, the chaos was in full display coming from EC to Silk Board. Every traffic signal had a 15-20 minute pile up as vehicles turning right or doing a U turn blocked the full road in characteristic Indian style. So when you escaped the light, and are going straight, there was a clear stretch of about a minute or two till you joined the next scrum and sat stationary for 15 minutes.

In between the Hosa Road Signal and the pile up for the next signal was precisely 1 min 40 sec of clear road. And right there was a police interceptor van catching vehicles speeding. Really BTP ? There was not a cop in sight at the traffic signals to help traffic move. Instead 4 of them are standing catching those pressing the accelerator for a minute after an hour of frustration. Is this the best you can do ?

Yesterday, after a 450 km drive from the south, which took a relaxed 6 hours, I landed up at the start of the BETL flyover. Being afflicted with sheer lunacy, I attempted to come through this and through the city to reach North Bangalore. I am delighted to report that I set a new World Record of taking 3 hours 15 minutes to cover the next 30 kms.
Secretariat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 12:43   #16748
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
A rant against the sheer sadism of some traffic cops.
=======
Yesterday, after a 450 km drive from the south, which took a relaxed 6 hours, I landed up at the start of the BETL flyover. Being afflicted with sheer lunacy, I attempted to come through this and through the city to reach North Bangalore. I am delighted to report that I set a new World Record of taking 3 hours 15 minutes to cover the next 30 kms.
totally understand your pain. If you are landing in E-city region and want to go to north bangalore, anytime between 8am and 9pm, better to take NICE. Weekday/weekend, doesn't matter - there is no such distinction as far as bangalore is concerned. Only huge vacations (min 4-5 days of holidays) provide some respite to traffic within city.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th February 2019 at 09:34. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 22:45   #16749
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Got stuck in very slow moving traffic this evening on Kensington road beside Ulsoor lake. I thought it's some procession/idol immersion and the like near the war memorial circle entrance to the lake (quite common during Ganesha chaturthi and Durga puja). As we inched our way towards the MEG centre at the end of the road, traffic eased out. Turns out that the rain water logging flooded a portion of the road thanks to some wonderful work recently by BBMP that ensured there are no outlets for the water on the road to run off to the drains
This is what a 30 minute rain can do to our roads, scared to think of the possibilities this year during heavier rains

Last edited by NPV : 9th February 2019 at 22:48.
Old 11th February 2019, 03:14   #16750
Team-BHP Support

When the rains begin in earnest, the real pain of all the simultaneous Metro and assorted construction work will become apparent pretty quickly. Major roads already reduced to single-lane, barely usable monstrosities will turn into swim-lanes and miles-long jams.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th February 2019 at 03:21.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 08:02   #16751
BHPian

Quote:
OT- I am traveling to Tirupati and train is from Yeshwantpur. Unfortunately in the morning around 8am no Uber or ola was not available. Hence came in my own car and parked the car in yeshwantpur railway station back gate. I will be back on Sunday evening. Will my car be safe? I know I should have checked this earlier but couldn't get time to check and for other alternatives. Has anyone done this before?
Update

My car was safe and i reached home safely! Huge relief after seeing my car. No damages or scratches !
sairamboko is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 08:25   #16752
BHPian

Saturday evening when Bangalore received rains, my better half told me, while I was aimlessly sitting in front of the idiot box - Let's go for a drive !!

Now, in any other city, I would have picked up the keys and sat in the car, ready to go within 30 seconds, but in Bangalore, my mind raced faster than I thought it was humanly possible. Thoughts of long jams, water logged roads, the car being driven over potholes and loose gravel we lovingly call as roads made me shiver. Next she says - Remember that place XYZ friends told us about on Mysore Highway, let's go there for dinner.

I stay in Whitefield. To reach Mysore road, I would have to cross the biggest hurdles man-kind has faced after the Lunar Landing. Kundanahalli Gate > Marathahalli > Silk Board > BETL. I paused, took out my phone and checked the condition of this alternate route: Grafite India > Borewell Road > Varthur Road. Blood-red marks on the G-Maps echoed my gut feeling. By now, my tears were also of the same color.

And then, by magic, the rains stopped, and I went back to being the idiot glued to the idiot box, smiling inside while promising her for a breakfast drive on Sunday morning towards Devanhalli.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 11th February 2019 at 08:36.
drive2eternity is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 08:55   #16753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Update

My car was safe and i reached home safely! Huge relief after seeing my car. No damages or scratches !
I think such affairs have considerably improved over the last few years. The railway parking lots would be very crowded, especially for two wheelers and they would be jammed together to fit as many vehicles as possible. I would never park it in such a place. From the last one year, I am a regular user of trains between BYPL and Hoodi since thats undoubtedly the fastest means of transport. Hence I park my car or Dio in BYPL railway station parking lot on a daily basis. Luckily, my Dio has been left intact especially given the fact that I dont have any steel cage around it and the paintwork still attracts attention. The car parking too is a spacious area and good parking hygiene followed.

One reason is the price. For a two wheeler, they charge 30 and for a car it is 60 for a day which may not come to mall standards but high for a government body. After paying this much, the users would not expect such untoward incidents from happening.

Nonetheless, I have almost become immune to all the traffic chaos after overhauling my commute plan. Thanks to the Indian railways for this.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 11:02   #16754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The Nagavarapalya main road has been closed off for some repair work (I guess it is BWSSB), so one cannot reach the Gopalan Grand Mall/More supermarket from the C V Raman Nagar side. Was heading there last evening when I stopped abruptly on seeing an autorickshaw parked bang in the middle of the road, just a few buildings before the Grand Mall!
Nagavarapalya main road is now open to traffic.

BUT they have messed up the already congested road. They have created a mega size hump - if I may call it that - below which is the drain. After magic boxes on Bellary road, this seems to be the new trend. Create a drain below the road and create a "hump". They did one on Dinnur road last year
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 12:38   #16755
Senior - BHPian

What happend on BETL this morning at around 0950-1030 hours? There was a huge traffic pile up right from the "Lay bye" on BETL. Did not notice any major construction/repair activity on BETL and there were also no signs of accidents etc. But it was real slow moving traffic all the way till Madivala Traffic PS.

PS: Left home at around 0930Hrs and pulled into office parking lot at 1100Hrs. Now that was exactly the time I took to commute from my home to ITPL, Whitefield . Change of job did not change time in commute .

Most Viewed