Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:53   #16951
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

If Bangalore were somehow magically transplanted into China and if I were the supreme leader - I would 'acquire' large swathes of land near nodal points such as bus stands and metro stations and build huge Multi-level car parking (MLCP) areas. People who wanted to commute to work would leave from home and park in these MLCPs and get into a bus or a train. This is nothing but the "park and ride" concept that developed countries have implemented. Last mile connectivity is the biggest reason why people continue to drive their own vehicles in the city. A park and ride concept brings the best of both worlds to the people as well as to the cities.

Oh well, if we were in this magical world...slap me now. We're here. We have to deal with it, warts and all (says this guy who infamously threw a tantrum on this forum when asked to consider job opportunities in Bangalore ).
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:07   #16952
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Last mile connectivity is the biggest reason why people continue to drive their own vehicles in the city.
Funny thing is there is already a very possible last-mile connectivity solution that's been plying on our roads for a long time. The issue is that it doesn't work as expected.

Autos.

Perfect size, perfect mobility. CNG already in place (but CNG re-filling infra needs massive improvement) and good candidate to go electric.

Driver attitudes the MAJOR issue.

Imagine if you could rely on an auto to not refuse a trip, to not start demanding 'oneandhalf-saar' always, just go by the meter (even if the base rates were increased) and just be available whenever required! Then along with the Metro this would be the ideal city solution.

Last edited by am1m : 3rd April 2019 at 11:09.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:11   #16953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Imagine if you could rely on an auto to not refuse a trip, go by the meter (even if the base rates were increased) and just be available whenever required. Then along with the Metro this would be the ideal city solution.
I heard from a friend that in Mumbai there were plain-clothes policemen who instantly pounced on an autowallah outside of the CST terminus when he refused a trip to my friend. My understanding is that autos and taxis can have their permits cancelled instantly if they refuse to ply on trips.

I guess autos and other last-mile connectivity services should be brought under the Essential Services Maintenance Act or something like it; it should be treated as a service which cannot be stopped either en masse or by individual morose drivers.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:17   #16954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I heard from a friend that in Mumbai there were plain-clothes policemen who instantly pounced on an autowallah outside of the CST terminus when he refused a trip to my friend.
Mumbai is different. I've gotten an auto at 1 in the morning there and the driver gave me back change at the end of the journey! Coming from Bangalore, I was absolutely floored!

Which is why the Mumbai Local can move so many people around efficiently I guess, people know there will be an auto to and from the stations.

Quote:
I guess autos and other last-mile connectivity services should be brought under the Essential Services Maintenance Act or something like it; it should be treated as a service which cannot be stopped either en masse or by individual morose drivers.
The issue is that the auto unions are political. They vote en masse and their leaders have significant political clout. Also a lot of the drivers don't own their autos. There are many unofficial fleet operators who own a bunch of autos and rent them out to drivers.

Last edited by am1m : 3rd April 2019 at 11:30.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:35   #16955
BHPian

So true. If the Auto guys start plying by meter, I would stop using my car in the city. The bus stop is 2 kms away from my place and its difficult to walk that distance with my daughter to drop her at her daycare which is only 50mtrs from the destination stop. So, use car, no fighting with Auto folks and peace of mind, even though the trip takes a long time.

There were a lot of times we thought of catching an Auto, like when going out to eat etc, but the number of autos we have to wait for and the refusals and extra charges they ask for, I've now stopped thinking of Auto as an option.
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:55   #16956
BHPian

^^^ what about Ola Auto? They go by the fare displayed in the app.. no haggling and peace of mind if the ride is accepted by the auto driver.
achilles101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 13:06   #16957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles101 View Post
^^^ what about Ola Auto? They go by the fare displayed in the app.. no haggling and peace of mind if the ride is accepted by the auto driver.
My wife sometimes takes an auto from home to Silk Board in peak office hours. She tells me that the Ola auto fares are like 140-150 whereas if you negotiate with them it will be in the range of 100-120. The meter fare would be about 90 , or maybe a little more taking into account the wait time in traffic.

So the Ola auto fares are usually higher , the only advantage is that you don't have to haggle.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 14:35   #16958
Team-BHP Support

Ola & Uber, cabs and autos alike, are no strangers to refusing to ply, or make other demands. My last two Uber cabbies asked me to cancel my booking and pay them in cash so they don't have to give Uber their cut, while they have no qualms with Uber finding them customers.

Attitudes don't necessarily change just because the vehicle was hired on an app instead of flagged down roadside.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 17:32   #16959
BHPian

Is there a foot over bridge planned on ORR in front of PTP? Today I say a section of sidewalk barricaded for what looked like earmarked for some construction on both sides of the main carriageway.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 08:50   #16960
BHPian

Yesterday evening, I had some work at Haralur Road. So I left office around 6:30 PM and took 55 minutes to cover 5 KMS. I wasn't aware of the trenches that had been dug and then left unattended on Haralur road (possibly to lay pipes). They caused slow moving traffic all along. I can only imagine the plight of people during peak office hours.

Once I completed my work, I headed back towards Whitefield. It was about 9:30 PM. Traffic was smooth (apart from the trenches) on Haralur and Sarjapur road (I can't believe I just said that!) and in no time I was on Bellandur Flyover. There, I encountered the first jam. As usual, the diligent and thoughtful BMTC buses were blocking most of the road in front of Ecospace. I just adore the way BMTC buses create jams. On a 2 lane road, they will block 1.5 lanes. On a wider road, like in front of Ecospace, they create 4-5 lanes by stopping and ensuring just about a lane is left vacant for traffic to move ahead. So kind of them to not completely block traffic. They are such adjusting creatures, I tell you!

Inching ahead, I crossed Ecospace and then again made good progress till Kadubesannhalli Underpass. Here too, BMTC buses were being kind to the road users by allowing about 0.75 lanes for us to use. While I was still praising the BMTC, I encountered the mother of all jams. From Croma to cross Marathahalli Underpass (about 2.5KMS), it took me 45 minutes. All 1st gear drive. I was sure that my demi-gods, the BMTCs were the one's responsible. However, the jam continued even after crossing the Marathahalli Underpass and bus-stop. The real culprits were standing right there. Blocking the left most lane. The massive jam wasn't caused by two-wheelers or the maniac Autos or private car owners or badly driven cabs or BMTCs, it was caused by 8-10 inter state buses parked on the main road, waiting for passengers.

Why can't BTP enforce simple no-stopping, no-parking rules for these monsters. At least move them to the service lane. I am aware of the pathetic jams these buses cause on Friday evenings at the same place, but was caught by surprise when I saw this happening on a Wednesday night.

Seems washing hands-off everything is the only thing BTP does best.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 4th April 2019 at 09:05.
drive2eternity is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 09:14   #16961
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Why can't BTP enforce simple no-stopping, no-parking rules for these monsters. At least move them to the service lane. I am aware of the pathetic jams these buses cause on Friday evenings at the same place, but was caught by surprise when I saw this happening on a Wednesday night.

Seems washing hands-off everything is the only thing BTP does best.
BTP is getting weaker and worse by the day. Their enforcement is now limited to catching vulnerable two wheelers and cars, along with big time checks on drunken driving. The buses, auto rickshaws and the like continue with their activities right under the nose of the traffic police. The government isnt helping things either.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 10:42   #16962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
BTP is getting weaker and worse by the day.
Completely agree, there has been complete melt down in management of traffic and the authorities are in some sort of stupor. Even busy intersections have a namesake cop who stands in the shade eating peanuts ( free of cost) and is a mute spectator.
mazda4life is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 10:56   #16963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Completely agree, there has been complete melt down in management of traffic and the authorities are in some sort of stupor.
Am seeing the same thing. Cops don't seem bothered anymore. Have seen them making half-hearted attempts to stop people riding without helmets and cutting red lights, but don't see any attempt to take down the vehicle registration numbers. I'm sure they are understaffed and overwhelmed but unless road users have a healthy fear of the law and of being punished for breaking road rules, how will traffic be managed?!

On the plus side, the checking for drunken driving has certainly become more widespread and consistent. Hope they can extend this sort of checking for 3 more serious violations at least: breaking a one-way rule and wrong side driving, riding on footpaths, and cutting red lights.
Old 4th April 2019, 10:59   #16964
Senior - BHPian

Right now it is the same everywhere in that all police departments are stretched to the max just doing bandobust duty for elections - candidate paper filing, campaign rallies etc coverage. So there is only a skeleton staff doing any sort of enforcement at all whether traffic fines or crime.

Though I guess the crime folks need not worry, their biggest concerns are all going to be otherwise busy during this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Am seeing the same thing. Cops don't seem bothered anymore. Have seen them making half-hearted attempts to stop people riding without helmets and cutting red lights, but don't see any attempt to take down the vehicle registration numbers. I'm sure they are understaffed and overwhelmed but unless road users have a healthy fear of the law and of being punished for breaking road rules, how will traffic be managed?!

On the plus side, the checking for drunken driving has certainly become more widespread and consistent. Hope they can extend this sort of checking for 3 more serious violations at least: breaking a one-way rule and wrong side driving, riding on footpaths, and cutting red lights.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 11:07   #16965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Right now it is the same everywhere in that all police departments are stretched to the max just doing bandobust duty for elections
That's a good point. However, in Bangalore I've noticed this reluctance to really enforce traffic rules (barring drunken driving) for at least a year now.

Somehow whenever there's a 'VIP' convoy doing the rounds, miraculously a row of traffic cops appear, one standing every x meters en route. If half that many were regularly on the roads, traffic would be much better in Bangalore!

Quote:
I heard from a friend that in Mumbai there were plain-clothes policemen who instantly pounced on an autowallah...
Remembered a couple of more anecdotes around interactions with autos in Mumbai as opposed to Bangalore from my early trips to Maximum City. My Mumbaikar friends used to find it very amusing when I would ask the auto drivers in Mumbai if they would go to a particular destination before getting into the auto. In Mumbai, they get into the auto first and then tell the driver where they want to go, since there's not much chance he'll refuse. Unlike Bangalore where we need to plead with them and appease them to do us the great favour of letting us pay them extra to take us somewhere near our destination (hopefully)! Also, my wife (who grew up in Mumbai) used to get very angry with me whenever I used to not take the 4-5 bucks change from the driver who was willingly giving it back. Again, unlike Bangalore where the drivers do us the great favour of rounding off the trip fare to the nearest 10-20-bucks!

Last edited by am1m : 4th April 2019 at 11:37.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed