Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2019, 10:40   #17056
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Does anybody have any update on when they plan to break the Jayadeva Flyover?
It was due in the first week of April and nothing seems to have happened so far.
Old 9th May 2019, 11:05   #17057
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Any update on White Topping Near Hennur - Hebbal Road ?

Hi Guys,

Need to pick up grandmom from relatives places beyond hebbal.

Will be driving from Silk Board to Hebbal via KRP and Hennur

Was wondering on the condition and status of White Topping on Hennur Road Side

Any guidance will be appreciated
If I were you, I'd drive on Hosur road-Richmond road-KG road-Golf course-Airport Road instead of taking the ORR. Even here white topping crap will trouble you but it's only for a small distance
Overall you'll save around 15minutes, travel 15kms less and it is less unpredictable than ORR
Old 9th May 2019, 11:27   #17058
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Guys,

Need to pick up grandmom from relatives places beyond hebbal.

No work has started yet on ORR. Traffic as usual.
Old 9th May 2019, 11:52   #17059
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
The number of accidents that have happened there! And I can imagine how: Trucks idiotically stick to the right lane in our state with the police doing nothing about it, and the driver (likely unfamiliar with the area) mustn't have been able to see the inner slip lanes from afar (thanks to the great streetlighting in our city), and must have wanted to go up the flyover. Must have made last minute swerve, and bang!...
On most of our highways (apart from a few access controlled ones may be), I can empathise with the truck drivers on why they stick to the right most lane. Take the case of the ORR in Bangalore itself...The left most lane is usually occupied for everything from parking cabs to push carts to people shopping those 100Rs helmets to construction debris. changing form the left most lane to the middle lane often is very difficult for trucks and creates lot of slow moving traffic.
Driving on the middle lane will mean focusing on all sides of the truck and with so many blind spots for a truck it's often risky.
So trucks stick to the right most lane (although I hate it myself and understand that slow moving vehicles should stick to the left most lane), so that they can focus only on one side and less on the median side.

This works well for them on most of our highways, but then the world's worst designed flyovers are on ORR with exits in the fast lane .
Whoever were the engineers who made these flyovers are the sole reason behind all these accidents on the ORR...more than the fast-lane-hugging trucks drivers!

And as you have written, Police will record the easy "dunk and sleepy driver losing control of the vehicle" statement and close the case!

Quote:
...Split off slip lanes need to have a thick and solid lane marking, not dashed. But will our BTP/BBMP/BDA ever learn?
Any solid line on the road shouldn't be crossed. Hence Split/Exit lane marking should be dashed and not solid; Correct me if I have misunderstood you. The exit lane dashes however will be thicker than the normal lane marking dashes.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 13:06   #17060
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, there is no white topping work going on in ORR till Hebbal from silk board/KR puram side.
White topping is currently happening immediately from Hebbal signal towards Goraguntepalya on a 500m stretch and traffic is not so bad.

However, there is bridge construction going on near Manyata Tech Park that has been causing Jam lately

Depending on the time of the day, take the ORR.
Aniket6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 13:12   #17061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
On most of our highways (apart from a few access controlled ones may be), I can empathise with the truck drivers on why they stick to the right most lane. Take the case of the ORR in Bangalore itself...The left most lane is usually occupied for everything from parking cabs to push carts to ...
This is misdirected empathy in my opinion.

Even on NICE Road and our countryside highways (where slow lane is empty and not encroached upon), I've seen slow moving buses and trucks in the fastest lane. You yourself must have seen them.

As regards ORR, trucks can very well stick to the middle lane. Its not too much to ask, really. Truckers routinely face tougher challenges. I've driven a truck and I know. Volvo buses do it all the time.

The real problem is that of attitude. In India, the general driving style is "I will do whatever is most convenient to me without caring about the others, and I have that right". And bcoz driving in the fastest lane makes it easier for the truckers (due to the reasons you mentioned), they do it.

And the traffic police is likely under the same misdirected empathy as you. Basically we dont have a well trained and educated police force.

This is the same reason as to why UTurning vehicles make a needlessly wide UTurn (by straying far away from the turn lane), even in cases where its a wide junction and they can comfortably do it by confining themselves to the turn lane. Its the same "I will do whatever is most convenient to me without caring about the others" principle in action.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 09:38   #17062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Does anybody have any update on when they plan to break the Jayadeva Flyover?
It was due in the first week of April and nothing seems to have happened so far.
Work on demolishing Jayadeva flyover may begin only by this October.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69260623.cms
murthy_p is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 09:58   #17063
Senior - BHPian

After seeing the grand "white topping excercise" at Madiwala Check post and Sarjapur Road Jn; I really wonder whether any of these initiatives are actually for the benefit of road users. Each and every day the traffic jams in these areas are only increasing; and there seems no firm end date for this white topping drama to end.

Till around 1 1/2 months back my commute time was around 55 min to 65min (from office to home). For the last two days it is nearly 1 hr 15 mins to 1 hr 30 mins - same time I used to take to commute from Whitefield to Chandapura. And this time around I am actually only travelling 22 kms (32 kms was my old commuting distance).
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 10:14   #17064
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I really wonder whether any of these initiatives are actually for the benefit of road users.
They are not. They are money-spinning exercises- continuous building, continuous repair, continuous sanction and flow of (our) funds into everyone's dirty hands.

This is why further investment in 'car-related' infra in cities is pointless. We can't even maintain what we already have. And by the time the road/flyover/elevated-whatever/magic-box/etc finally gets done, after literally years of making things worse for road users, (and eating away at yet another green space), it will be at full capacity during rush-hour almost immediately.

We have to get away from this 'private vehicle' mindset in cities. And the government's responsibility is to shape policy in this direction. An unpalatable opinion I know, especially in a car forum. But the facts are staring at us in the face each time we come out on the roads in Bangalore. How long can we continue to ignore that?
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 10:36   #17065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
TEven on NICE Road and our countryside highways (where slow lane is empty and not encroached upon), I've seen slow moving buses and trucks in the fastest lane. You yourself must have seen them.
You seem to have missed the parts (in bold now) in my previous post. Apart from those few access controlled highways (like NICE) I empathize with them not in other places. However I'm advocating that that its correct...No!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
On most of our highways (apart from a few access controlled ones may be), I can empathise with the truck drivers on why they stick to the right most lane.
Quote:
As regards ORR, trucks can very well stick to the middle lane. Its not too much to ask, really. Truckers routinely face tougher challenges. I've driven a truck and I know. Volvo buses do it all the time.
Volvo buses can and will do it for a few reasons..1 it has better visibility and shorter turning radius with all the technology and 2 they have to keep making stops. From the middle lane it is easier to stop on the left most lane -Yes, the same lane where the trucks should be driving (Because the bus stop and lay byes are occupied with people or cabs or hawkers! ).

Quote:
The real problem is that of attitude. In India, the general driving style is "I will do whatever is most convenient to me without caring about the others, and I have that right".
you are spot on here!

Quote:
This is the same reason as to why UTurning vehicles make a needlessly wide UTurn (by straying far away from the turn lane), even in cases where its a wide junction and they can comfortably do it by confining themselves to the turn lane. Its the same "I will do whatever is most convenient to me without caring about the others" principle in action.
True...come to Veerasandra signal on Hosur road just after (BETL exit) to see wonderful examples of this. Cabs of company HCL take the left most lane which will be always open for people who want to go straight; move perpendicular in front of the vehicles standing for the red signal to turn green and complete their U-turn even if it means blocking the traffic coming from the opposite side who have green signal. And this is a 6 lane national highway. Literate and employees inside the cab will be busy with their phones or headphones or laptops. the Police guy will be standing happily without any worry!

That's enough Rant for today!
Old 10th May 2019, 11:13   #17066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
After seeing the grand "white topping excercise" at Madiwala Check post and Sarjapur Road Jn; I really wonder whether any of these initiatives are actually for the benefit of road users. Each and every day the traffic jams in these areas are only increasing; and there seems no firm end date for this white topping drama to end.

Till around 1 1/2 months back my commute time was around 55 min to 65min (from office to home). For the last two days it is nearly 1 hr 15 mins to 1 hr 30 mins - same time I used to take to commute from Whitefield to Chandapura. And this time around I am actually only travelling 22 kms (32 kms was my old commuting distance).
It has helped me I travel from ORR towards Dairy circle through Krupanidhi, St Johns usually. Now it has removed two and almost 3 traffic signals. It should have created problems to others. There is still lot of scope to streamline the traffic through roads around Madivala/St Johns with additional flyover etc.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 13:36   #17067
BHPian

The railway gate at Kaggadasapura level crossing will be closed between 1100-1500 hours from 09-15th May due to track renewal work.
xotiq is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 15:37   #17068
BHPian

Been commuting from my new home at Hosur to Embassy Tech Village for the past 15 days. Commute has been a breeze with my car. I start between 6:50 to 7:00 am and reach my work between 7:50 to 8:00am. Evening I start around 3:45 to 4:00 pm and reach my home in an hour. I think my commute time will extend by another 15 to 20 mins once the schools reopen. For now I am reaching the RGA tech park in 40 mins and around 15 mins or more to reach embassy tech village.
Old 10th May 2019, 19:15   #17069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
We have to get away from this 'private vehicle' mindset in cities. And the government's responsibility is to shape policy in this direction. An unpalatable opinion I know, especially in a car forum. But the facts are staring at us in the face each time we come out on the roads in Bangalore. How long can we continue to ignore that?
This is possible only for people with regular timings and job at 1 location only. Imagine a swiggy delivery boy depending on public transport, or a lawyer or CA who has to visit multiple places in a day, or a doctor who has to visit several hospitals. Unlike Chennai, you can't even transport goods in BMTC (Like vendors, etc.). I think most people who have regular timings are already on public transport or using company transport. Most of the factories around Bangalore have their own fleet which is always used. School buses take care of school children. IT companies have cabs with multiple pickups. The only people using private transport in Bangalore are the ones who are forced to venture into this mess called traffic.
This public transport is just another money making machine for the government. BMTC has been making profits for several years now, Likewise metro. If it was really for the public, it would have been subsidized.
I know that it is the politically correct thing to say that public transport needs to be developed, but unfortunately it will not make life any easier for anyone.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 19:25   #17070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post

However, there is bridge construction going on near Manyata Tech Park that has been causing Jam lately

I noticed this too. Any idea towards where is this bridge heading, since the activity is happening right where the veerannapalya flyover ends, its kind of weird to have another flyover right after.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks