Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2019, 22:30   #17101
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Its certainly heartening to see so much public works in progress, counting by my fingers and toes, one half of St.Johns signal road is being white topped, the whole of Christ College road is sealed off as a result. Then we have the usual Adugodi white topping mega-project in effect, Mico Road is undergoing renovation by Mico Bosch. On the slightly off-end we have the great flyover project leading to Old Airport Road from BDA Koramangala and a project akin to Suez Canal which has the BBMP crew tearing out existing concrete roads to lay new pipes and drain reservoirs cordoning off all tertiary roads in the process.

Wilson Garden which serves as a major artery for CBD connectivity is being dug up to the square inch (storm drain cleaning) and a couple of BWSSB pipes have also been busted open in the process which would give them the great opportunity to renovate them as well.

Now if only one can imagine traversing from ORR to say Basavanagudi, passing each and every one of these works.. oh wait I just did that yesterday morning at 10 a.m, destination reached at 1.30 p.m (average of 4 kmph). Lets not also forget the journey from Basavanagudi just when rains started. Yes I had to take particular directions because of certain quick errands en route (I am a consultant entrepreneur and don't have one fixed office).

Time to retire young because like everyone else, my source of earning is American companies all of them sitting in the far reaches of the city where many a trap lie await set by deranged psychopaths in bureaucratic /developmental positions of power, with an unhinged, remorseless, apathetic view on citizenry.

Either that or I buy a pistol and blow my brains out but this "democracy" doesn't allow that either.
dark.knight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 09:58   #17102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Its certainly heartening to see

This line made me peep into this thread to see what is really so heartening about Bangalore traffic . I think "It is heartening to see" means, it is happy to note. But, here it is used in slightly opposite sense.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 11:42   #17103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Now if only one can imagine traversing from ORR to say Basavanagudi, passing each and every one of these works.. oh wait I just did that yesterday morning at 10 a.m, destination reached at 1.30 p.m (average of 4 kmph)....
An average speed of 4 kmph is beyond pathetic. I can feel your pain! I wish something works out for you whereby you could live out your days on a green hillside somewhere or if you could just work and live in a more sane city.

Quote:
Time to retire young because like everyone else, my source of earning is American companies all of them sitting in the far reaches of the city where many a trap lie await set by deranged psychopaths in bureaucratic /developmental positions of power, with an unhinged, remorseless, apathetic view on citizenry.

Either that or I buy a pistol and blow my brains out but this "democracy" doesn't allow that either.
Sometimes, the solution we seek hits us broadside and is entirely unexpected. There are rumblings of a breakdown of the Atlantic ocean currents, ice caps have disappeared in the poles and I was surprised to learn that Jamshedpur only experiences a minimum of 14 degrees in the winter, unlike the 4 degrees I endured as a school kid in 1999 over there. We may be put out of our misery yet in the form of another ice age (with the breakdown of the Atlantic currents) or massive flooding or something. Something's gotta give.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 13:02   #17104
Senior - BHPian

@dark.knight, you missed 'heartening' havoc in Metro construction zones.

BTW, the sobriquet of traffic jam - Silk Board has an update - Bengaluru’s first double-decker flyover to come up by 2021
Quote:
The city will get a double-decker flyover by October 2021. The road-cum-rail flyover between Ragigudda and Central Silk Board (3.35km) is likely to decongest bottlenecks along the stretch.

The flyover, where the lower deck will be used by vehicles and top deck by metro on one of the busiest stretches in the city, is part of the Metro’s fully elevated RV Road–Bommasandra corridor (18.82km) of the Phase 2 project. The section between Ragigudda and Central Silk Board will be a signal-free corridor. The structure will cater to vehicles and the Metro is expected to decongest the stretch that sees severe traffic snarls during peak hours. A total of four lanes of the elevated road and four lanes of the surface road will improve the situation.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 14:21   #17105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
@dark.knight, you missed 'heartening' havoc in Metro construction zones.

BTW, the sobriquet of traffic jam - Silk Board has an update - Bengaluru’s first double-decker flyover to come up by 2021
By mistake, the target date is mentioned as 2021. In reality it will be 2031+ for sure. Dont worry, Our kids and their kids will enjoy the double decker ride for sure.
suresh_gs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 15:36   #17106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
By mistake, the target date is mentioned as 2021. In reality it will be 2031+ for sure. Dont worry, Our kids and their kids will enjoy the double decker ride for sure.
I agree with what you say - it is the ground reality - a little exaggerated. Maybe a more realistic timeline would be 2023-24 as per my estimate.

Jayadeva Flyover should have been demolished more than 6 weeks back as per earlier plan but they shifted it to Oct 2019 and one needs to wait and see if there would be another 6 months postponement as we near the October date.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 19:28   #17107
BHPian

What Rains here in Jayanagar, good that I came early from office. Can’t imagine the situation on ORR and Silkboard.
Old 19th May 2019, 12:14   #17108
BHPian

Issues like these are the ones which are detrimental to better urban transport, last mile connectivity thereby reducing carbon footprint. Not sure who is at wrong here, but I have seen people abandoning the scooters wherever they feel like. Government on the other hand also should provide the required infrastructure and be proactive towards reducing traffic.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/69391159.cms
Old 19th May 2019, 14:43   #17109
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

The new Yulu e-scooters have started becoming a menace now, have seen several people riding these like regular (bigger and more more powerful ones) scooters and quite rashly, saw one guy who almost rode straight into an oncoming autorickshaw

Wondering how these are street legal, riders don't use helmets too and park these scooters at random spots
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 15:07   #17110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The new Yulu e-scooters [...]
Wondering how these are street legal
They don't have number plates either; and I don't think have a license/age requirement. What law are these governed by?
Old 19th May 2019, 19:13   #17111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Wondering how these are street legal, riders don't use helmets too and park these scooters at random spots
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
They don't have number plates either; and I don't think have a license/age requirement. What law are these governed by?
According to CMV Rules, battery operated vehicles less than 250 watts power rating and speed restricted to 25kmph do not require any registration and driver need not have a driving license. Yulu e-scooter I believe falls under that category. Have been a bunch of such scooters earlier also following these specifications, but the yulu rental model have made them popular I guess.

Also read somewhere that this is an old rule and with the uptick in the electric vehicle space , these rules are being relooked at.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 00:57   #17112
BHPian

People travelling from HSR Layout towards Ecity via silk board should expect some heavy conjestion tomorrow as merging from the service road to hosur road has now been moved forward all the way to the Roopena Agrahara bus stop. This happened over the weekend and i expect some chaos on this stretch tomorrow.
Old 21st May 2019, 09:20   #17113
Senior - BHPian

Crawling traffic from Karthik Nagar to Kala Mandir, Marathahalli Bridge and JP Morgan. Cars barely moving.
Old 21st May 2019, 11:02   #17114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Crawling traffic from Karthik Nagar to Kala Mandir, Marathahalli Bridge and JP Morgan. Cars barely moving.
make this from Rainbow hospital to JPM.
there arent enough traffic cops to man the errant buses and turning traffic.

this section is now getting close to a legendary status for perennial jam in peak hours
Old 24th May 2019, 12:13   #17115
BHPian

Not a rant on traffic but on Bangalore roads. Request mods to remove the post if not suitable in this thread.

Over the last 2 weeks, I've had to go frequently near Deepak Hospital, in Jayanagar 7th block. The road section near this hospital has been recently white-topped (shown in red colour in below image).

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-123.png

Concrete road blocks (such as the one shown below) have been placed on this road to act as divider in the 2-lane carriageway. But they are not continuously placed, hence leaving gaps at some places for taking U-turns. At many places, the 2 opposing white-topped lanes differ in surface height by half to one feet! Sudden, vertical drop, not tapered!

Only in some abrupt sections (about 5-10 meters long) both lanes have same height. It was a pain for riders and drivers to take right turns (to reach a building on the right side) and U-turns.

I wonder what the contractor and BBMP are smoking when they execute roadworks like this

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-456.jpg
(Above image taken from web. Copyright belongs to respective owner)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st May 2019 at 11:38. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks