Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2019, 21:44   #17146
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
But, as an outsider, I find traffic to be relatively well behaved. Much better than I would say NCR. So, whatever the guys are saying about traffic sense here, I don't get it.
A lot of the time, I find the problem lies in the Expectation vs Actualization delta. I have driven in snail traffic in cities across India as well as our neighboring Nepal/Kathmandu and the difference is very interesting.

In terms of traffic snarls, every city has them; but how the drivers endure it defines the actual experience. And in turn, it becomes a vicious cycle; the more one's expectation fails, the more he feels the need to ace the game / find alternatives; and in the end, one man's move is another man's pain. And the fact that the local government is not really helping (road constructions, illogical turns, etc) makes it worse wrt his/her expectations. I feel this gap is pretty high in Bangalore, not sure why. But give it some time, you'll join the gang soon as your expectations change (while the local situation remains the same)

I have seen horrible snarls in Kathmandu during peak office hours, but they stick to their lanes, and the drivers are much more at peace with it; it actually improves the situation marginally. I have read similar experiences from Bhutan too from bhpians on travelogues.
Old 1st June 2019, 00:26   #17147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
A lot of the time, I find the problem lies in the Expectation vs Actualization delta. I have driven in snail traffic in cities across India as well as our neighboring Nepal/Kathmandu and the difference is very interesting.

In terms of traffic snarls, every city has them; but how the drivers endure it defines the actual experience.

I have seen horrible snarls in Kathmandu during peak office hours, but they stick to their lanes, and the drivers are much more at peace with it; it actually improves the situation marginally. I have read similar experiences from Bhutan too from bhpians on travelogues.
I totally concur with this opinion. My recent trip to Shillong was an eye opener on traffic discipline when we had to wait for 15-20 mins to enter the town due to heavy traffic. The pictures below are a testimony to the patience and discipline these locals where everyone chooses to stick to their side even when the opposite lane is deserted.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_2707.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_2706.jpg  

Maibaa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 08:35   #17148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
https://m.timesofindia.com/city/beng...w/69588439.cms
BMRCL begins underground work; CBD traffic likely to be hit

Dread the situation there when this starts

Wasn't the whole purpose of putting the metro underground that the work can continue without disruption to the normal life over ground?
Old 1st June 2019, 09:43   #17149
BHPian

I am seeing a strange road work by the BBMP. In sarjapura road, from Sarjapur till Dommasandra circle, BBMP is laying the center part of the already good road!! Not sure the reason behind this and I find it strange and pointless
Old 1st June 2019, 10:06   #17150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
Wasn't the whole purpose of putting the metro underground that the work can continue without disruption to the normal life over ground?
No. That was not the purpose.

For the metro work going underground, the movement of materials / equipment still has to be done on the roads. How else do you expect them to be transported?
Old 1st June 2019, 10:22   #17151
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
The Bangalore metro goes underground mainly in congested places where there's isn't enough road width for the piers/pillars. Underground sections escalate the cost significantly and pace of work is slower due to rocky terrain etc as we saw in the East-West purple line that was delayed as the tunneling work was stuck near Majestic and other places for several months.

Last edited by NPV : 1st June 2019 at 10:25.
Old 1st June 2019, 22:44   #17152
Senior - BHPian

I think the biggest problem in most roads is the uneven width. The roads are just not of the same width. It narrows and widens due to encroachments, electricity poles, footpaths, parked vehicles, traffic islands, circles, bus stops, and everything else. So the bus in front of you cannot be overtaken because every few meters he's going to veer into your lane. the two-wheeler is going in a zig-zag because the left lane is not straight. Add pot holes to this equation and traffic becomes unpredictable.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 09:01   #17153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The Bangalore metro goes underground mainly in congested places where there's isn't enough road width for the piers/pillars. Underground sections escalate the cost significantly and pace of work is slower due to rocky terrain etc as we saw in the East-West purple line that was delayed as the tunneling work was stuck near Majestic and other places for several months.
I often wonder about the chaos that ORR will be in when the Metro dig starts for the prodigal route from Silk Board to Hebbal. I think many of us would find it better to work from home. I am sure companies in these areas will also see attrition as commute becomes tougher.

Any idea about the alignment of the Metro Rail tracks ?
Old 3rd June 2019, 09:31   #17154
Senior - BHPian

Folks

While driving on the flyover near Windsor Manor, exit to the flyover is on the left. Likewise the exit to the dairy circle flyover is to the left. Even on the national highways, exit to the flyover is on the left only.
That being the case, any pointers as to why the agara flyover has exit both at the left and right. Is is not a monumental blunder on part of the BDA. Is this the prima facie for accidents occurring at the same spot over and over again ?
Old 3rd June 2019, 09:48   #17155
Senior - BHPian

50 bikes seized in anti-wheelie drive
This was long over due, and good job done by the BTP. This menace was their big time on Hosur Road also (between Bommanahalli and Electronics City).
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 09:50   #17156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

While driving on the flyover near Windsor Manor, exit to the flyover is on the left. Likewise the exit to the dairy circle flyover is to the left. Even on the national highways, exit to the flyover is on the left only.
That being the case, any pointers as to why the agara flyover has exit both at the left and right. Is is not a monumental blunder on part of the BDA. Is this the prima facie for accidents occurring at the same spot over and over again ?
The right is technically not an exit. It was meant to be a bus lane as part of the BRTS system for the ORR which failed to take off. Hence it has ended up being an exit. Also worth noting that the current implementation is inconsistent. For HSR and Agara the centre exit lanes are bi-directional. For Bellandur it is uni directional on both sides( basically you cannot exit from the ORR into these lanes, you can only enter to the ORR from below the flyovers.

For the Intel flyover , you can exit if you are going towards Marathahalli, but you cannot exit if you are coming towards silk-board. Hence each flyover has a unique pattern.

Of course when you think you have mastered it, they do some changes.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:31   #17157
BHPian

Yesterday's rain fury damaged two cars near my house in R T Nagar. No power supply as well till now as an electric pole also came crashing down.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20190603_080118603_hdr.jpg
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 11:26   #17158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Is is not a monumental blunder on part of the BDA. Is this the prima facie for accidents occurring at the same spot over and over again ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The right is technically not an exit. It was meant to be a bus lane as part of the BRTS system for the ORR which failed to take off. Hence it has ended up being an exit.
That monumental blunder will fortunately get corrected when the metro comes up on that route taking up that space at the centre of the road. If not now sometime in future at least.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:02   #17159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Also worth noting that the current implementation is inconsistent. For HSR and Agara the centre exit lanes are bi-directional. For Bellandur it is uni directional on both sides( basically you cannot exit from the ORR into these lanes, you can only enter to the ORR from below the flyovers.

For the Intel flyover , you can exit if you are going towards Marathahalli, but you cannot exit if you are coming towards silk-board. Hence each flyover has a unique pattern.
Both Bellanduru & Devarabisanahalli flyovers had the same design. The humungous traffic towards EcoSpace has forced these design changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I think the biggest problem in most roads is the uneven width. The roads are just not of the same width. It narrows and widens due to encroachments, electricity poles, footpaths, parked vehicles, traffic islands, circles, bus stops, and everything else. So the bus in front of you cannot be overtaken because every few meters he's going to veer into your lane. the two-wheeler is going in a zig-zag because the left lane is not straight. Add pot holes to this equation and traffic becomes unpredictable.
The monumental blunder in the design of this city is from BDA, who designed the roads without provision for bus-bays. So any bus stopping at bus-stop will block a lane and hold-up traffic.
Old 3rd June 2019, 20:06   #17160
BHPian

Plus we have this unique Bangalore phenomenon where public transport buses halt for several *minutes* at a busstop for no good reason, totally impervious to the traffic jam situation developing behind them!

In Mumbai, buses halt for just as long as needed for passengers to alight and board. That tantamounts to about 10-15 seconds max. Doesn't seem a lot, but trust me, its a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks