Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2019, 19:07   #17206
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Going by the sheer number of repeated accidents at the same spot, I feel the Agara Flyover can be a serious competitor to this "Can Opener" train bridge http://11foot8.com/
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 19:44   #17207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Just got booked for 'overspeeding' the other day. Was doing the posted 60 kmph limit on an ORR stretch near Nagarbhavi, the interceptor was strategically parked at the bottom of a downhill section (like they often are), and their radar indicated I was doing 64 kmph approaching them downhill.
I agree. I too was caught on the same stretch about 4 years back. Doing 63 kmph. I was in a TN car. Multiple vehicles overtaking me at the same spot were not stopped. I was shown the image on their computer and on asking why only I was stopped, they said that the Challan will reach their homes, but mine being out of state will have to be charged on the spot.
Old 6th June 2019, 20:38   #17208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Going by the sheer number of repeated accidents at the same spot, I feel the Agara Flyover can be a serious competitor to this "Can Opener" train bridge http://11foot8.com/
For this the most apt competition would be from Madiwala Underpass. Since it was thrown open to traffic I myself have witnessed at least 4 to 5 Container trucks getting stuck underneath.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 09:27   #17209
Distinguished - BHPian

KIA's Main Access Road to be closed from June 10

Quote:
The 1.4-km Main Access Road to the Kempegowda International Airport leading to the terminals will be closed for widening from June 10. All traffic inside KIA premises will be diverted to the new six-lane South Access Road

In two years, the Main Access Road (MAR) from the Trumpet Flyover to the passenger terminals will be widened from the existing four lanes to 10 (five on each side). The widening is part of the airport’s ongoing infrastructure development.

The new South Access Road (SAR) has six lanes (three on each side) and runs parallel to MAR. Currently, MAR is flanked by landscaping, most of which will be removed as part of the transplantation programme. A total of 7,095 trees and shrubs will be shrubs will be shifted in phases.

Vehicles heading to the airport from the Trumpet interchange will have to turn right at the first roundabout to enter SAR, leading to the terminal.

New route

Vehicles leaving the airport from the departure gates will follow the existing exit path from the terminal and head towards P6 parking to reach SAR. Cabs, buses and private personal vehicles returning from the arrival gates will continue using the existing route towards SAR. MAR is expected to reopen in early 2021, according to KIA operator, Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL).
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 12:43   #17210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Thankfully wasn't yet closed today morning at 0430 with the insane Monday rush. However, the queues at the Sadahalli toll were more than I have ever seen, and easily worth 15 minutes waiting time! Please factor this into any early morning flight.

My company cab driver was smart enough to quickly check Maps, found that the HYD tollbooth was showing empty and so took that route, paid the HYD toll & u-turned back to enter KIAL from the other side. Smart move but I was worried that Maps might be wrong!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 13:02   #17211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My company cab driver was smart enough to quickly check Maps, found that the HYD tollbooth was showing empty and so took that route, paid the HYD toll & u-turned back to enter KIAL from the other side. Smart move but I was worried that Maps might be wrong!
During return from Airport at peak hours (Mornings especially), I have heard from few friends that Cabbies take the Hyderabad side exit and then enter KIAL road towards Bangalore to avoid toll booth queues.
Old 11th June 2019, 20:06   #17212
BHPian

Quote:
'Slow' vehicles banned on Bengaluru airport road flyover in trial run
'Slow' vehicles include cycles, two-wheelers, autos, and lane discipline will be strictly enforced on the road starting this week. Trucks and lorries will also have to restrict movement towards the left side of the road. The 'slow' vehicles can use the road below the flyover.

“Slow moving vehicles travelling at 40 kilometres per hour are obstructing the traffic on this stretch which is why we decided to ban them on a trial basis. We will observe the difficulties on this stretch for a week and then undertake road safety measures accordingly. The road is a 25 to 30 kilometre stretch and the airport traffic is heavy. High speed vehicles go at 80 kilometres per hour and get obstructed by the slow-moving vehicles,” Additional Commissioner of Police (Traffic) P Harishekaran told The New Indian Express.
As per statistics from the city's Traffic Police department, the number of cases of speeding has come down in the last two years from 1,30,868 in 2017 to 90,942 in 2018. However, the radar speed gun which was installed on the Airport Road last year has since gone missing. The pole on which the radar speed gun was displayed has fallen down and the LED screen which displays the speeds of vehicles travelling on the road has gone missing, as per a report by Bangalore Mirror.
Not sure how much this will help on the Airport road, two wheelers have not been a problem to me so far (people who use it much more regularly can correct me). It is the slow-moving trucks changing lanes that scare me.
I'd like this (or something similar) implemented on the BETL, the two wheelers have really no space and some of them sometimes are just too slow driving in the middle of the left lane. And those bounce scooters left on the flyover on a daily basis are a risk to everyone. Not sure how they get there but they're now a menace, two wheelers swerve suddenly to avoid them.

Source.

Last edited by Mukund : 11th June 2019 at 20:07.
Mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 06:34   #17213
Distinguished - BHPian

Lorry broken down right at the start of the Bellandur flyover towards Marathahalli on the right lane. Already causing a small jam. With the left most lane occupied by buses as it is the bus stop, expect a major jam to build up if it is not cleared( which seems unlikely as it is a large container type lorry and already on the up ramp of the flyover. No easy way to move it out of the way.

Folks heading from Agara side, it maybe worthwhile to go down on Sarjapur Road, take the left opposite Springfields and join the ORR back under Bellandur flyover. May help save from a part of the jam.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 12th June 2019 at 06:40.
Rajeevraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 08:39   #17214
BHPian

Jam alert : Going towards agara from HSR, stuck on the flyover for the past 30 mins. Pls plan alternate if possible.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 08:47   #17215
BHPian

Just look at the chaos this lorry has created on the ORR and adjacent roads.

Roads from Kormanagla - Blocked
ORR from HSR - Blocked
Sarjapur Road - Blocked
Central Jail Road - Blocked
Haralur Road - Choked and Blocked

Q1: Why can't the lorries and other heavy vehicles be stopped from using city roads during the day?
Q2: Why can't we have quicker removal of broken down vehicles?

Bangalore has a lot of scope to improve.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-bellandur-jam.jpg

PS: Not sure if the lorry had entered and broken down before dawn. Which makes my second question even more relevant.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 12th June 2019 at 08:49.
Old 12th June 2019, 08:57   #17216
Distinguished - BHPian

One truck breakdown and it's bloodbath on the maps!
My wife called me and told me that she was lucky to escape this as she went on a 2-wheeler Instead of car (she was thinking of taking the car as it was cloudy today). Cars were bearing the brunt of it it seems.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20190612084420_maps.jpg

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 12th June 2019 at 09:27.
Old 12th June 2019, 09:35   #17217
Distinguished - BHPian

With such breakdowns, the owner of the vehicle has to be slapped with a huge fine for causing public distress. Thats it, half the guys will run away.

And ban the rest at bangalore city limits between 5 am and 11 pm.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 10:19   #17218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
With such breakdowns, the owner of the vehicle has to be slapped with a huge fine for causing public distress. Thats it, half the guys will run away.
You can be rest assured nothing of that sort is going to happen.

Breakdowns and accidents happen anywhere in the world, resulting in a pile-on effect on traffic. The issue with Bangalore roads is that there arent many alternative roads for the bulk of the traffic movement happening on a daly basis, and in addition the vehicles breaking down quite frequently are heavy vehicles which means they cannot even be pushed out of the way without additional support machinery.

Even in a developed country like Australia, these kind of issues are common and the only difference is that support vehicles tend to reach there faster.
Old 12th June 2019, 10:45   #17219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

And ban the rest at bangalore city limits between 5 am and 11 pm.
The ORR was designed to bypass the lorries and other heavy vehicles from entering Bangalore City. It's a different story altogether that the govt decided to set up Tech parks and residential complexes along the ORR. Net result: Daily Jams that are eating into our bread.
The govt is to be blamed for this misadventure. What they should have done is to have constructed a flyover from Silk board to K R Puram thereby by passing HSR, Bellandur, Marathahalli.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 10:45   #17220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Q1: Why can't the lorries and other heavy vehicles be stopped from using city roads during the day?
Used to wonder about this too, but realized that the ORR was never meant to be a 'city' road! At one point in time, it was meant to be used to bypass certain areas of the city. It's a different matter that the builders were given wholesale permission to create their 'IT Parks' and the attendant traffic mess here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The ORR was designed to bypass the lorries and other heavy vehicles from entering Bangalore City. It's a different story altogether that the govt decided to set up Tech parks and residential complexes along the ORR.
Haha, just beat me to it and almost the same wording too!

Last edited by am1m : 12th June 2019 at 10:47.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks