Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2019, 10:25   #17251
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
they dont catch people but fines will be communicated through sms and there is lot of fines for violations.
This is also one of the many reasons for traffic jams across the city.

I have seen cops flagging vehicles at major junctions disrupting traffic. I don't even want to discuss the way they jump dangerously in front of overspeeding offenders when they can always send a notice (discussion on many not updating address is another topic).
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 11:12   #17252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Today, its the pedestrians who are showing road rage. There was this whole 'paltan' of IT employees crossing the road, where the Government has constructed a superb skywalk. I had to slam on the brakes really hard to avoid hitting them, and ended up getting the choices of abuses in Hindi.
It happened to me in Chennai also - on OMR. I saw a group of pedestrians crossing the road and the foot over bridge was not being used which was right over their heads. I had to make a sudden stop and got abuses which I ignored and was staring them in return.

Last edited by bvasista : 21st June 2019 at 11:12. Reason: space removed
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 12:01   #17253
BHPian

A bit off topic - but why this sudden unfounded craze for this indoor gardening by the BMTC staff in the buses? Though the intention is good, did BMTC give a thought about the safety of the passengers and driver himself - a pot can literally turn into a flying missile in case of an accident? Taller plants can distract and reduce the visibility.

Link

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-bmtc.jpg

There was another one a few months back.

Another

Last edited by AltoLXI : 21st June 2019 at 12:02.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 19:36   #17254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
A bit off topic - but why this sudden unfounded craze for this indoor gardening by the BMTC staff in the buses? Though the intention is good, did BMTC give a thought about the safety of the passengers and driver himself - a pot can literally turn into a flying missile in case of an accident? Taller plants can distract and reduce the visibility.

Link

Attachment 1886790

There was another one a few months back.

Another
This is a wonderful initiative and is fully supported by our government. So please do not post politically incorrect statements like this.
The list of wrongs in this plan is long
  • Flying missile in case of breaking
  • Vision block for the driver (Not as much as 30% sun film though)
  • Water seepage leading to short circuit of dashboard electronics and fire
  • Rust issues
  • Smell of manure and rotting plants
  • Ticks and other insects causing bites
  • Allergic reactions to sensitive persons

However remember that in Bangalore, a farmer is not allowed to carry his produce in BMTC bus, flower vendors are not allowed to carry their baskets, Potted plants are not allowed, even if extra ticket is purchased. In fact even larger suitcases are frowned upon. So go figure.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 09:11   #17255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvasista View Post
It happened to me in Chennai also - on OMR. I saw a group of pedestrians crossing the road and the foot over bridge was not being used which was right over their heads. I had to make a sudden stop and got abuses which I ignored and was staring them in return.
You can find out for yourself why they do not want to use the foot over-bridge. Try walking sometime, and then use the "skywalk" every-time you want to cross the road and you'll soon understand why.

On the other hand, you'd be wondering why those sitting comfortably in powered vehicles cannot stop for a few seconds to let humans cross!

For these very reasons (that you would've deduced by now) I am in favor of driving all vehicular traffic underground; underground infrastructure paid for by the consortium of vehicle manufacturers of course!
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-bqeconceptsconcept1bridgecrossings.jpg  

mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 10:44   #17256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
You can find out for yourself why they do not want to use the foot over-bridge. Try walking sometime, and then use the "skywalk" every-time you want to cross the road and you'll soon understand why.
I'm one of those who use a skywalk where available. These days, the skywalks in addition to the "walk" have a functional lift.
To see a glaring example of this, just look at the Koramangala PVR signal, a well designed skywalk with an escalator is hardly used, and pedestrians continue to clog the signal, ignoring the traffic lights.

Just goes to show that the mentality of "saving" a few seconds is not just prevalent amongst road users but among commuters as well.

Quote:
For these very reasons (that you would've deduced by now) I am in favor of driving all vehicular traffic underground; underground infrastructure paid for by the consortium of vehicle manufacturers of course!
Good idea, but at the rate our construction works, global warming would have pushed humans out of the earth.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:05   #17257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can find out for yourself why they do not want to use the foot over-bridge.
I don't understand. What is wrong with using the skywalks (if you are an able-bodied human)? I have used them regularly at my past office locations: at Kodihalli on OA Road and at Doopanahalli on Indira Nagar 100ft road. Did I miss something?

Btw, BWSSB is upto unspeakable things in East Bangalore. Yesterday I found the following roads blocked by them:

1. The road that goes from under the Bellandur flyover joining Sarjapur Road near Motherhood hopital (the detour via Akme Harmony resulted in about 10 minutes delay); and

2. The stretch of Doddakanelli-Kadubisanahalli road between the junction with the road coming from Carmelaram gate and the next junction a couple of hundred metres away (beyond the tree in the middle of the road). The detour is via some very narrow bylanes that resulted in a delay of about 30 minutes.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 18:05   #17258
BHPian

Not a rant but a query.
Today while travelling on Old Madras Road from Indiranagar to Baiyappanahalli, I noticed that the road from Baiyappanahalli Railway Gate which joins Old Madras Road (just before Swami Vivekananda Road Metro Station) was blocked using concrete barriers. Now one cannot turn into this road as well as enter Old Madras Road from this road.

This road was an option to reach Cantonment Station / Cox Town (from C V Raman Nagar side) with less traffic headache.

Any idea whats happening? Are they finally completing that long-forgotten railway over-bridge?
Old 23rd June 2019, 18:14   #17259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Any idea whats happening? Are they finally completing that long-forgotten railway over-bridge?
Yes. You are correct. They sorted out the issue with the land and are finally constructing the bridge. Hence they seem to have blocked off the entire road. I think the construction of the ramp leading to the bridge will not be possible if there is traffic on the road or vice versa.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 18:56   #17260
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
After defence ministry agreed recently to part with their land (owned by MEG), the railway overbridge which was completed almost 7 years ago above the railway tracks will finally get space for approach ramps from the old Madras road side (other side from the railway goods coaching terminal already has a ramp).

Later this year, the Indian Railways also plans to open a new passenger station at the current goods coaching terminal (extension/relocation of Byappanahalli Railway station) and more trains will originate/terminate there reducing load on City/Yeshwanthpur/Cantonment stations.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd June 2019 at 18:58.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 23:20   #17261
BHPian

Came across this.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20190623_232307.jpg

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 23rd June 2019 at 23:25.
Old 24th June 2019, 07:49   #17262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
*Not sure if this has been posted earlier and when this traffic movement scheme was introduced, saw it this morning on my way towards Electronics City

Update on one ways in Koramangala:
For those going from Indiranagar side via Inner Ring Road towards Electronics City), if your destination is Silk Board and beyond via Inner Ring Road, then you have to turn left onto Sarjapura Road at the Koramangala water tank junction (signal after BDA complex) and then turn right onto Madiwala market road near Krupanidhi college.

The stretch of Sarjapura Road from the HP petrol bunk near St. Johns hospital all the way to Krupanidhi college junction is a one way

Madiwala market road is a one way from Krupanidhi college to Hosur Road junction

Hence, if you reach Krupanidhi college junction on Sarjapura Road from HSR or Koramangala 80 feet Road (near Police Quarters), you will be forced to make a left turn onto Madiwala market road

Service road to left at the end of Inner Ring Road (opposite the Ayyappan temple) where it meets Hosur Road is blocked, so if you're heading towards Ecity, etc turn left onto Sarjapur Road at Koramangala water tank junction signal.

*If you're heading to BTM layout you can still take Inner Ring Road till the end and turn right onto service Road, merge onto Hosur Road and then turn left onto Maruthi Nagar Road (nothing changes here)

*If you're on Hosur Road and want to enter Koramangala, you take the service road near Ayyappan temple and turn right onto Inner Ring Road (nothing changes here)
This is back to normal and I am not sure if this happened today or few days back because the last time I drove here was around 2 weeks back. Somehow, I was of the opinion that this was only a temporary arrangement to make way for some road work because the day this diversion was put in place, BTP had put up flex banners informing road users about it with reason mentioned as "Roadwork In Progress".
  • St. Johns (Madiwala Check Post) to Madiwala Police Station : 2 Way
  • Koramangala Water Tank to Madiwala Underpass (Aiyappa Temple): Not sure
  • Krupanidhi Junction to Madiwala Police Station :Not sure

However, looking at the fact that the main road is now 2 way, I am sure the related roads like the above would also have traffic flow reverted as before.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th June 2019 at 07:51.
Old 24th June 2019, 08:02   #17263
BHPian

Got this as a forward from a colleague in UK:
(Thought to post it in the jokes section but then posted it here)

Alag alag sheheron ki alag samasyein-
(Different problems in different cities)

In Delhi, people do not know which car to take out today.

In Dubai, people do not know which wife to take out today.

In Vegas, people do not know who's wife to take out today.

In Bangalore, I do not know which road to take to work today.

drive2eternity is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 08:11   #17264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Which Place to work so that I can still think about which road to take to work by which mode of transport.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 10:46   #17265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post

Doesn't matter my friend, no matter which road you take, you will end up in a traffic Jam.
Reminds me of a poem from Harivansh Rai Bachchanji - "Raah Pakad tu ek chala chal, paa jayega madhushala".
You can easily replace Madhushala with "traffic-jam" in this poem, when in Bangalore.

Last edited by Acharya : 24th June 2019 at 10:48.

Most Viewed