Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2019, 16:24   #17356
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
If you select the correct entrance/exit, it's barely 50 metres open pathway through the taxi/auto lanes. Not a hassle at all even with luggage as they have remodelled the walkways now.
Thanks! I'm assuming you've used the exit from metro station to railway station side recently

I remember one time when I traveled by metro to Yeshwanthpur metro station for some other work on this side of the road, I had to walk back towards the exit near the Hallimane hotel since the other exit towards APMC yard was kept closed (later on my return, I found that there is a lift that can be used towards the closed exit). So hoping the exit to railway station isn't kept closed.
Old 2nd August 2019, 20:51   #17357
BHPian

Apologies if these have already been posted on this (or any other) thread previously. A cursory search did not throw anything up.

Funnily enough, these videos from 1995 (uploaded in 2008) appeared on my YouTube feed all of a sudden this evening. Thought of sharing them here:

Last edited by boniver : 2nd August 2019 at 20:53.
boniver is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 12:38   #17358
BHPian

It has been three months in Bangalore now.

This place reminds me of Himachal Pradesh. Usually, the roads are curvy, narrow and pothole-ridden. Also, like Himachal, when people say that the road is alright, it just means that there will be something motorable. It could be broken in parts, might have unusually high speed-breakers, narrow passing through small villages/property dealer cut kind of colonies, etc.

But you can basically take a car. You go on trundling at 20 KMPH in second gear and reach your destination by lunchtime. Although I am not climbing the ghats here, but the clutch box, brakes and stick goes under similar kind of duty as in Himachal.

Also, like HP drivers, drivers here are good. I always blow the horn on blind turns. Such honking considered chicken-hearted by most and I rarely get a reply. However, Bangaloreans almost always reply to such blind turn honking, even while going to the office.
atnyia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 14:30   #17359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Apologies if these have already been posted on this (or any other) thread previously. A cursory search did not throw anything up.

Funnily enough, these videos from 1995 (uploaded in 2008) appeared on my YouTube feed all of a sudden this evening. Thought of sharing them here:
Twenty minutes of footage akin to a dashcam, and did anyone notice the one thing that was missing, which we now see all the time on every road?

People driving on the wrong side!!! So much for "progress"

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 5th August 2019 at 14:30. Reason: grammar
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 15:10   #17360
Senior - BHPian

Few northern parts of our state are converted into islands due to flooding.

Not to be left behind, parts of Bangalore are in the process of converted into islands. The main roads link are being blocked. But these parts are accessible via a narrow stretch of the residential narrow road, which has not seen a car in its history. BMTC buses are being driven there.

The architects of these islands are BMRCL, who have blocked the main roads; BWSSB, who are perpetually laying pipes; BBMP, who either are white-topping or fixing road culverts or cleaning storm drains; KPCTL/OFC/BESCOM, who dig anywhere they want -- all these agencies work on an area together to make it happen.

In the past, travellers had to account for traffic jams, rowdy riding/driving & road rage. Now, before all that, they have to check whether the destination is indeed accessible.

Last edited by msdivy : 5th August 2019 at 15:13.
Old 5th August 2019, 15:59   #17361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Twenty minutes of footage akin to a dashcam, and did anyone notice the one thing that was missing, which we now see all the time on every road?

People driving on the wrong side!!! So much for "progress"
When there isn't too much traffic, people will generally be more rule abiding. When traffic increases, the strictness of law enforcement should also increase proportionally. Otherwise, we will end up with the situation that Bengaluru is facing.
Old 5th August 2019, 19:17   #17362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The architects of these islands are BMRCL, who have blocked the main roads; BWSSB, who are perpetually laying pipes; BBMP, who either are white-topping or fixing road culverts or cleaning storm drains; KPCTL/OFC/BESCOM, who dig anywhere they want -- all these agencies work on an area together to make it happen.
Those islands are for a few weeks, months. I missed one more - BTP. They switch off traffic lights at junctions and so all the vehicles from all directions converge and create temporary islands, where no one can enter or exit for 20~30 minutes.
Old 5th August 2019, 19:55   #17363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If this was truly 1995, then as per the then standards, it was truly a lot of motor-vehicular traffic. Back then, I clearly remember that most of Hyderabad was still relying either on RTC buses or cycle rickshaws.
Old 5th August 2019, 21:00   #17364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
If this was truly 1995, then as per the then standards, it was truly a lot of motor-vehicular traffic. Back then, I clearly remember that most of Hyderabad was still relying either on RTC buses or cycle rickshaws.
I think these videos are definitely not from 1995. In the first video I can see that J.C Road was one way. (around 2.34s in the video). That road was made one way around 99/00.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 5th August 2019 at 21:04.
Old 5th August 2019, 22:56   #17365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I think these videos are definitely not from 1995. In the first video I can see that J.C Road was one way. (around 2.34s in the video). That road was made one way around 99/00.

I watched the video over and I think it was 1995. That famous song from "Main Khiladi Tu Anari" playing in the car stereo is the giveaway. Quick google search yielded that the movie released in 1994.
Old 6th August 2019, 00:11   #17366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
That road was made one way around 99/00.
A bit earlier than that.
I used to take the BTS buses to school every day through JC road, from the times when it was a two way.

When the one way rule was first introduced, it was in the opposite direction of what it is now.
Later it was reversed and it has stayed that way since.
For sure, it was a one way in 95, although I can't remember if it was so before that.
Old 6th August 2019, 01:13   #17367
Team-BHP Support

There appeared to have been an accident at Karthik Nagar signal (ISRO Junction) around 10.30 PM yesterday night. All I could make out was an upside down cab on the Marathahalli-bound carriageway. Could've been a t-bone incident with merging traffic, but I'm just speculating.
Old 6th August 2019, 10:10   #17368
Distinguished - BHPian

On the topic of wrong-side driving/riding, some chota satisfaction:

Cops were finally doing something about it on ORR, outside the Passport Seva Kendra service lane. They were stopping bikers and autos who usually go the wrong way down that service road in peak traffic. Several of them saw the cops ahead and executed quick u-turns to escape. One auto guy going down the wrong way tried to make a quick u and hit a biker also going the wrong way and trying to blindly overtake him! Cops tagged them both, the rest of us were laughing!

Some little satisfaction. Some little justice meted out to these idiots who risk other's lives and cause jams.
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 10:37   #17369
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Cops were finally doing something about it on ORR, outside the Passport Seva Kendra service lane.
Wrong side riding/driving goes unnoticed by cops (rather they turn a blind eye and look for easy prey like helmetless riders and those driving without belting up), so this is a good move.

On the other hand, I also wish the service roads especially on ORR were designed with more thought put in because ideally these should be 2 way to enable smaller vehicles to change directions using service roads and perpendicular underpasses going below the ORR (with few exceptions maybe).
Old 6th August 2019, 10:47   #17370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
A bit earlier than that.
I used to take the BTS buses to school every day through JC road, from the times when it was a two way.

When the one way rule was first introduced, it was in the opposite direction of what it is now.
Later it was reversed and it has stayed that way since.
For sure, it was a one way in 95, although I can't remember if it was so before that.
Yes, it was one way in 95. I used to go to office from Banshankari 3rd stage, Bank Colony to Langford road.

Residency road was 2 way and the traffic was dense, There was a big old house at the junction between Residency and Richmond road. The air was filled with lot of smoke due to the 2 stroke vehicles we had then.

Most Viewed