Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2019, 10:21   #17431
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Can't say I sympathize, the same builder, RMZ who built the hundreds of super-expensive flats and villas that the community chose to purchase/rent and live in also built the adjoining tech park and designed that wonderful single road in/out which is the cause of a lot of the heat, pollution, congestion, traffic in that area!
Might be I am in minority in sympathizing their plight , there were handful of protesters when i walked into office and some ladies had blocked the zebra crossing . The amount of traffic , chaos that ensues in that road is unimaginable.
Old 20th August 2019, 10:31   #17432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
A story of how my brain faded away while staying in Bangalore. Hopefully it is on the right track back.

Situation 6: Thinking of moving to Sarjapur, searching for options within my budget.

Mod Note: Only 2 Smilies per post please
Seems like you experienced all sorts of craziness!! I will ask you to explore the Sarjapur area and commute from there. Are you planning to rent or buy? Plan early commute and early logout. your life will be peaceful. There are some gated community villas too in the outer Sarjapur. You can explore that too. I am commuting from Hosur. I start at 6:30am and reach Embassy tech village by 7:30. Some days I will reach around 8am because of rains and crazy traffic near AET junction. In the evening I log out by 4pm and reach my home by 5pm. For long term , my commute option will be the local trains. Trains will be punctual once the electrification is completed.
sairamboko is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:05   #17433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I stay in an upcoming(50% done, 50% construction ongoing) gated community in Sompura.
Hi there, neighbour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger_123 View Post
Even I was looking at some properties on the Chandapura Domassandra road, looks a longer commute to ORR.
Agree. It makes sense for people who have small kids. We anyway don't stand a chance to enjoy the nightlife, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
If you have to commute to ORR, don't stay here.
Yeah, one word. AVOID. Sarjapura main road. After crossing the Wipro office, the hell begins. Being new to Bangalore, I shifted here only after figuring out alternative roads to Sarjapura main road.

Last edited by atnyia : 20th August 2019 at 11:06.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 12:13   #17434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Might be I am in minority in sympathizing their plight
Actually, I do feel sorry for those guys in Adarsh, throughout the week, they face this sort of crazy traffic and on weekends it's like a ghost town there. A couple of my friends who used to stay there moved out pretty quick because they couldn't handle the traffic.

Quote:
...the same builder, RMZ who built the hundreds of super-expensive flats and villas that the community chose to purchase/rent and live in also built the adjoining tech park
Correction to my post- the builders are different, my mistake. But the point is that I really don't see what the protest is going to achieve, and who it is directed at. It is WE, all of us with our individual cars, and offices and apartments there that are contributing to the chaos. I guess the government can build the metro super-quick, deploy half of Bangalore's traffic police there daily, and build more sky walks. But it's also high time our IT companies took responsibility for the mess we are causing. Implement work from home effectively for a start.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 13:27   #17435
BHPian

Quote:
It is WE, all of us with our individual cars, and offices and apartments there that are contributing to the chaos.
We are the victims of circumstances. How many of us are willing to forego "well paying" jobs and move to smaller towns?

Quote:
I guess the government can build the metro super-quick, deploy half of Bangalore's traffic police there daily, and build more sky walks.
Government on its part will provide quick fixes for the citizens complaints. Add to that the various lobbies, contractors etc. - every complaint and the resulting fix will become a money spinner for them.

Quote:
But it's also high time our IT companies took responsibility for the mess we are causing. Implement work from home effectively for a start.
IT Companies are business entities - they will cater to the share holder interests. As long as people can trudge along to the workplace and work - why will they care?

Instead I wish government along with all the actors involved would plan the cities in a way that is conducive to overall growth of all the towns / cities equally thereby providing economic opportunities at local level, reduce migration and thereby reducing stress on bigger cities in terms of all types of resources. That is how western nations have developed their cities / towns. BUT then it is a pipe dream here.
AltoLXI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 13:59   #17436
BHPian

The moral of the story for a work professional in Bangalore seems to be not to buy and house and grow roots. Move with your job and some sanity might prevail. Commute and you suffer!
I did the daily commute from Jakkur to Koramangala 80 ft road for many years in a Tata Indigo Marina diesel. All I'm left with is a left knee that is completely kaput.
ashenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 14:17   #17437
Senior - BHPian

I work in ITPL and have been commuting to office from Bommanahalli for the past 7 years. Till date I have not taken my car to office. I only go by ITPL chartered BMTC buses and if there is any emergency, I go by 2 wheeler (very rarely) or I take leave.
In 2014, the bus used to leave ITPL premises by 5 45 PM and I used to be back home by 6 50 PM. Presently I reach home between 8 15 to 8 30 PM. IMO going by car will lead to long term repercussions as far as mental and physical health are concerned.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 14:44   #17438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Government on its part will provide quick fixes for the citizens complaints. Add to that the various lobbies, contractors etc. - every complaint and the resulting fix will become a money spinner for them.
On the road-infrastructure, Govt is still executing 1999/2000 plans, like for instance, the dual-flyover constructions on ORR is still in progress and this was planned and started in early 2000s.
Quote:
Instead I wish government along with all the actors involved would plan the cities in a way that is conducive to overall growth of all the towns / cities equally thereby providing economic opportunities at local level, reduce migration and thereby reducing stress on bigger cities in terms of all types of resources. That is how western nations have developed their cities / towns. BUT then it is a pipe dream here.
Whitefield is a suburb, in fact ORR is a suburb. Where Govt failed is in,
1) Not developing good road infrastructure connecting the suburbs to the city.
Still many stay in city and goto suburbs for work. Many more stay in suburbs and visit the city for work. On an average 15km travel takes 1 hours. Govt must ensure it doesn't take more than 30 minutes for 15Km.

2) Not developing internal roads withing suburbs.
These new suburbs were villages (2 decades back). The internals roads must be upgraded to city road standards.

3) Not keeping pace with the city population growth.
When Metro was planned in the 2000s, MG Road, Majestic areas were congested. By the time Phase 1 metro was completed in 2011, ORR was the most congested and no effort from Govt for any de-conjection plan.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 15:03   #17439
Senior - BHPian

White-topping work on hold, probe ordered.
Looks like the craze for "white topping" would end soon, but I also cannot figure out what would happen to roads which has been dug up/scraped up for white topping (eg: Hosur Main Road - from Sarjapur Rd. Junction all the way till Tavarakere Jn.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy
Situation 4: Stayed at ECity, Joined office at Manyata . Drove close to 100 kms to and fro. Situation: Extremely Crazy
Knew two people who attempted that. One chap is now on night shifts and he gets company commute. Another girl (who is a Bangalore local) actually took up PG accomodation in Hebbal. She now visits her home in South Eastern Bangalore (outside city limits) on holidays & week ends 8).

Quote:
Situation 5: Staying at Ecity, joined Office in Whitefield, drive to Whitefield daily. People say that it is a long distance, but it is definitely better than 4.
I personally did that from 2016 till start of 2019, and have seen the situation going from bad to worse. In 2016, it took me pretty much 1 hr 15 mins to commute (one way). But by 2019 traffic jams used to start a k.m before Varthur one-street town all the way on that lake side road. It was becoming a 2 hr journey. The stress of driving a vehicle was really taking its toll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs
In 2014, the bus used to leave ITPL premises by 5 45 PM and I used to be back home by 6 50 PM. Presently I reach home between 8 15 to 8 30 PM. IMO going by car will lead to long term repercussions as far as mental and physical health are concerned.
I too had commuted by car towards whitefield and it was becoming quite stressful day by day. I never thought I would reach this stage; where every morning I used to wake up with a scowling face. I was losing my patience as well as my leaves (and sick reports) was increasing. And that is the reason I wanted to change my job. During the last six months in that job, I had switched to BMTC buses (the regular ones). Journey time was 2 to 2.5 hours one way, and I had to change 3 buses. But still it was less tiring, and once I found a seat I could sleep or finish of my WhatsApp and Facebook stuff. And I am kind of person who likes to look out and enjoy the whole life (in and outside the bus).

Quote:
We prefer quiet and secluded areas, and that is how we ended up in E City in 2011
You have company. I moved to my current place of stay in 2009, and at that time I was working for an IT Major (no Captain or a Lt.Col) in E-City. I still like that place and kind of have become a local chap out there. Me or my family are not party-goers or movie buffs any ways, and so need to be in the city is actually very minimum. When we moved in here, Chandapura was just like a sleepy village in Karnataka. There were huge plots of lands, fields and cows grazing around. Grocery shops were the typical old fashioned ones, where we generally buy up stock on a monthly basis. The people too were really simple, and it helped if you could speak at least little Kannada. And at times I have found that some things which may be too costly in proper city limits, actually are cheaper and less riskier in the outskirts. But off late (past 1.5 years) things are also rapidly "progressing" this side, which also worries me a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenoy
The moral of the story for a work professional in Bangalore seems to be not to buy and house and grow roots. Move with your job and some sanity might prevail. Commute and you suffer!
I had the same mentality for nearly 15 years of my stay in Bengaluru. Srirampuram->Yeshwantpur->Maruti Nagar, Madivala->BTM Layout->Thippasandra->Vignan Nagar->Chandapura was my movement across Bangalore. What happens is that as human beings we would sooner or later get married and have children. From then on we will have to "drop anchors" at some place. Spouse's work place, kid's education all gets factored in. We cannot then think of moving around like caravans. At least in my case, I now try to be in a place where my spouse has easier commute (by public transport) and kid has her school just 500mts away.

PS: My present commute - Dairy circle to Chandapura is also going to be a Whitefield Part II with the Jayadeva Flyover demolition drama going on. Journey times have easily crossed the 1.5 hr mark.

Last edited by sachinpk : 20th August 2019 at 15:04. Reason: URL added.
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 15:05   #17440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
3) Not keeping pace with the city population growth.
When Metro was planned in the 2000s, MG Road, Majestic areas were congested. By the time Phase 1 metro was completed in 2011, ORR was the most congested and no effort from Govt for any de-conjection plan.
Agree.

By the time the Peripheral Ring Road (PRR) is finished, BLR would have easily expanded beyond it. Then the Satellite Town Ring Road (STRR) will be the new buzzword in my children's lifetime.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...e-2009091.html

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69950052.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-peripheralringroad1544709888.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-strrmap.jpg  

itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 15:17   #17441
Senior - BHPian

Will we really have a signal free road anywhere on the periphery ? Most of these peripheral roads will again have service roads, commercial properties on either side of the road and you still have to move slow with too many exits and entries backpressuring the traffic.

Looks like the brains of people who plan these are really dumb. The state of the flyovers on ORR is pathetic. The spot where one lady fell off bike and lost her life is still in the same condition. Why cant they white top the flyovers and underpasses when they build it ? Mysuru road flyover is back to being ridden with potholes again.
Old 20th August 2019, 15:28   #17442
Senior - BHPian

In Chennai for eg, do the ORR from Vandalur to Red hills and the bypass road have commercial establishments, Tech parks, residential complexes and schools similar to what we have in Bangalore ORR ?
Old 20th August 2019, 15:42   #17443
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a couple of things to thank Bangalore traffic for:

* Am a pretty anti-social chap, I seldom like visiting family friends or even friends and their families (with very few exceptions). Over the past 3-4 years, the 'can't make it traffic is bad, will be bad while returning' excuse has become a perfectly acceptable one, in every part of the city and even on Sundays!

* Turning a negative into an overwhelming positive: When we constructed our house in 2002, the neighborhood had minimal traffic and almost no traffic post 7pm. A resident on our road constructed his house slap bang across one part of the road that connected our lane to the main road; he was able to do that because of some discrepancy over property boundaries. At that time, we all cursed him for blocking our direct access to the main road. 17 years later, we all thank him! The 2 parallel access roads see a lot of traffic, but because of the partial 'dead-end', ours is the only lane that is peaceful enough for kids to play on the road!

Last edited by am1m : 20th August 2019 at 15:43.
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 16:59   #17444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can't say I sympathize, the same builder, RMZ who built the hundreds of super-expensive flats and villas that the community chose to purchase/rent and live in also built the adjoining tech park and designed that wonderful single road in/out which is the cause of a lot of the heat, pollution, congestion, traffic in that area!
Quote:
Correction to my post- the builders are different, my mistake.
From what I heard, when a majority of the Adarsh Cluster was being built out (2007-2010 time frames I guess), there was no plans for such a big IT Cluster called Ecoworld. I think it was all meant to be residential. Then Adarsh sold (or leased ) to RMZ and then one by one the buildings started coming up and before the Adarsh residents knew it, they were enclosed in a cluster of commercial buildings.

The Metro on ORR and the Suburban Rail system should have been done and running by now. Without these 2 getting done, there will be no respite.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 16:59   #17445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a couple of things to thank Bangalore traffic for:

* Am a pretty anti-social chap, I seldom like visiting family friends or even friends and their families (with very few exceptions). Over the past 3-4 years, the 'can't make it traffic is bad, will be bad while returning' excuse has become a perfectly acceptable one, in every part of the city and even on Sundays!
Spot-on! Haven't visited a particularly pesky aunt in 12 years . Even though highly inquisitive, neither has she and her family!

Apart from work-related commutes, BLR has turned into urban islands where folks do not (as a rule) step out of their particular island. A case in point is Whitefield or Pre-Hebbal / Post-Hebbal or Pre-Dairy Circle / Post-Dairy Circle.

Sounds like Minority Report or 1984
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks