Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2019, 11:14   #17521
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
The bigger question is, how did the govt. let a private property construct its entrance on a public road?
  • Tech parks dotting Mahadevapura - Agara belt
  • Big malls that have come up right at major traffic junctions (staring with Forum)
Take your pick . By far, examples from these 2 categories are perhaps very unique that I have come across.

This is also one of the reasons why the outer ring road from Hosakerehalli/PESIT all the way till Peenya (Tumkur road intersection) witnesses steady moving traffic during any time of the day because there is no single IT Park or a Mall across this stretch and has only residential buildings. Sadly, the same is not true about the KR Pura - Agara belt that actually witnessed growth more in terms of commercial buildings than residential.

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th August 2019 at 11:17.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 11:16   #17522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The bigger question is, how did the govt. let a private property construct its entrance on a public road? Isn't that encroachment?
Officially it is a CSR initiative by Embassy group.
The problem is the speed at which these projects are completed. It makes sure that some new issue crops up much before the existing issue is solved and people get some relief from a solution.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 11:16   #17523
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bengaluru: Apathy towards humans and Law

It's not a problem felt in Bangalore alone and it isn't just about Kannadiga supremacists. I face my own devils here in Chennai all the time and it is a Tamil versus Tamil fight every single time; so it descends into inter-class warfare. Populist movie stars such as Dhanush in Tamil Nadu have already provided fodder for people in this state to hate on educated people with superhit songs having lyrics such as - "Padicha naaye, kitta varatha" ("you educated dog, don't you dare")

So if it's not linguistic chauvinism, it is bound to be class warfare or religion or whatever suits the situation. Violence is the common denominator here. We're all violent to different extents and the only question that matters is - is my violence greater than yours? Strength in numbers is just a force multiplier for the violence that can be brought to the table. You just happened to witness weaponized Kannada in action.

I am sorry this happened to you.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 11:35   #17524
KMT
BHPian

I am from Karnataka and need to go to Bangalore occasionally for work.

I avoid going there as much as possible as it is a DUMP.
It is dirty and overcrowded and traffic is obnoxious.

I am not trying to be cute but honestly people ought to stop migrating to that city.

It is not worth the dengue, roadrage, polluted air and astronomical real estate.

I cant understand why major companies keep investing there and making more and more of their poor employees live there.

Are other cities in India so bad that everyone needs to relocate to Bangalore?
KMT is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 11:42   #17525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I have even observed how they treat girls and women, it is absolutely shameful. Seriously the attitude of the city stinks IMO as well.
I would be very happy to know if things are not this bad in the rest of the country. But if I look at the news, that doesn't seem to be the case. In fact whenever there is a crime against woman (like the lady who got killed by a cabbie recently) people typically mutter things like "Bangalore is also becoming a crime city like.....". As of today I am happy that at least nobody pulls out a gun and shoots you in the middle of a road rage 'yet'. But there are signs that that could change too.
All these are problems that exist in our country/society. Not specific to Bangalore.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th August 2019 at 22:06. Reason: Quoted post was edited.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 11:54   #17526
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
I cant understand why major companies keep investing there and making more and more of their poor employees live there.

Are other cities in India so bad that everyone needs to relocate to Bangalore?
It is because of the eco-system. I can talk about it with authority because I actually moved my company out of Bangalore to Manipal. Companies need easy access to talent pool, vendors, airport within couple hours, and good power/internet infrastructure. I considered many smaller towns and had to reject them because of lack of eco-system. Manipal finally worked out because a thread-bare eco-system existed because of MAHE. But isn't enough for lots of bigger companies, their eco-system needs are lot more complex.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 12:07   #17527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
I cant understand why major companies keep investing there and making more and more of their poor employees live there. Are other cities in India so bad that everyone needs to relocate to Bangalore?
Some digging into who buys up the formerly village/agricultural land (mostly through proxy companies/family members) where IT parks eventually come up will provide the answers. How certain IT parks came up directly in partnership with influential people who were in important urban planning posts at the time. How a the son of a certain former urban planning government official still owns a penthouse space in one of the IT parks. Interesting facts like that.

Companies will invest where there are employable graduates and where they can be assured of electricity and water (at least captive and private supply.) Similarly, people will migrate to where they can make a living. For a vast majority of people, conditions in this city are still better than being unemployed at home in a village.

Now if the government develops other satellite towns and if companies are encouraged to invest elsewhere, how will land rates be kept artificially high in Bangalore? How will RMZ, Prestige, Shobha, etc etc charge new families with a new baby and the dream of their own home thousands per square foot for shoddy construction, no road access, no BWSSB connection? If the government provides good public transport and drinking water, how will company cab operators, packaged drinking water suppliers, and water tanker operators run, especially when so many of them are owned by local government officials? (Several of the tankers in my locality are owned by a local government representative; I followed one out of curiosity one day to see where they were getting the water from. )

Bangalore is becoming harder and harder to live in (most of our cities are), but for the most part it is still profitable for most of us (including me) who are fortunate enough to be in a position to take advantage of the economy.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 12:31   #17528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
  • Tech parks dotting Mahadevapura - Agara belt
  • Big malls that have come up right at major traffic junctions (staring with Forum)
The tech park belts are definitely painful, but the post was specifically about rubbing salt on the wound by letting the tech park add pillars for its entrance on a public road - which happens to be the most important road in the city. I haven't seen this happen with any other tech park or any malls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Officially it is a CSR initiative by Embassy group.
The problem is the speed at which these projects are completed. It makes sure that some new issue crops up much before the existing issue is solved and people get some relief from a solution.
Yes, the pace is pathetic. 4 months on, they are still working on the pillars. I think the digging work started almost 6 months back!
Since it is a flyover for entrance into a private property, it shouldn't even be CSR IMO. It is the expenditure for its own infrastructure by a private company.

More importantly, how can the govt. allow private property entrances to be built on public land? That too on the most important road of the city after digging the sections which were white topped a few months back after spending tens of crores (for this stretch).
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 12:36   #17529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What happened to you was an unfortunate case of fender bender with drunks who quickly manipulated the fact you couldn't speak the language, and got everybody stacked against you. Now the entire Bangalore population stands accused of xenophobia based on this incident.
That is true. I got my Car here on 18th and this happened on 25th so its like we didnt get a chance to understand the city and a bad incident put us two steps back. I should not pass my judgement based on one incident. I have already started learning Kannada by repeating announcement in metro and hopefully will end up learning the basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
In hindsight, is there anything you think that you could have avoided which might have instigated these drunkards to start hitting you?
If they wouldve abused me in Kannada maybe I wouldnt have replied but they started in Hindi abuses and when they exhausted the 3-4 words dictionary they started in Kannnada by that time I had opened up my encyclopedia and dont mind but the abuses in hindi are more penetrating. So yes I did my mistake by fueling the fire. See everyone have their issues even I have my temper on the higher side. What I shouldve done was to move away and find a PS but again they blocked the path and were coming for my car door from both sides. So I dont know I cant see my car getting damaged as well its already scratched thrice here :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

My most horrible experience for not knowing local language was in the city you feel safe, Pune. Within 1 month of landing there for my 1st job in 2007 , I had to face the wrath of local auto-driving goons in Aundh.
I know this can happen anywhere MH is also burning with Regionalism and language issues. I know as I said i am making an assumption too early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
please don't form an opinion for the entire city based on 1 incident.
I am not going to form an opinion based on this incident and I have left that out of my mind now. My apologies if this thread went into a regionalism debate but while writing my anguish I was actually very disturbed. After reading so many BHPians and experiences I am at peace now and very soon will become a part of this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
If you're in your 30s, there never has been a better time to emigrate to Canada. This country is welcoming new immigrants in droves. Come, see if you like it. Not kidding.
I understand that is very lucrative but leaving my motherland gives me goosebumps. I have always been a homesick guy so maybe I formed an opinion very quickly of this city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Be a Roman when in Rome.
This is one thing I keep reminding myself. forget when I'm outside Karnataka, even within Bangalore, I follow this.
Thats true and I will try to learn basic kannada from my friends and Metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Most martial artists do think about the hypothetical multiple-attacker scenario, and come to a sober realization that facing multiple opponents is a no-win situation. Unlike in a movie, they won't attack you one after the other. When you are tackling the first one, others are free to attack you from behind. Game over.

De-escalate and diffuse, is the only real option in a road rage situation.
De-escalate and diffuse is always my priority but in this case I agree I fueled the fire with abuses which is my mistake. One thing I have learned in life dont hit first but If a fight starts you have to finish it then and there. I couldve gone ahead gulped my pride and moved on after taking a hit but then the temper doesnt listen in such moments. I am not martial arts expert but I have trained as a boxer in my school life. Always go for the face in the street fight.
ShivrajG is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 12:46   #17530
Senior - BHPian

Please understand that goons are everywhere. In each city of India.
Their egos are extremely fragile and they are always game for verbal and physical abuse.

Now coming over the specifics, politics fueled xenophobia worsen the situation, more so when these goons are handyman of the local politician or they are somehow connected to them.

My experience: Language based discrimination is rampant everywhere but Hindi speaking guy in "Southern" States (excluding AP) are sitting ducks. There is a hatred based on the historical imposition of language and you learn to live with it and be careful the next time.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 12:49   #17531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post
That is true. I got my Car here on 18th and this happened on 25th so its like we didnt get a chance to understand the city and a bad incident put us two steps back. I should not pass my judgement based on one incident. I have already started learning Kannada by repeating announcement in metro and hopefully will end up learning the basic.
The word SORRY is a very powerful one especially in the context of an outsider living in a city. I am a Tamilian, brought up in Bangalore and drive a TN registered car. I can speak Kannada well. In case I happen to rear end (say kiss) the other vehicle, I promptly raise my hand and say SORRY. There ends the matter. I would suggest you to follow this. Do not get into arguments that will affect your health in the long run.
suresh_gs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 12:50   #17532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post
I have already started learning Kannada by repeating announcement in metro and hopefully will end up learning the basic.
This might help:

https://kannadagottilla.com/

But it's an easy enough language to pick up (especially, the 'slang-Bangalore' version, which is somewhat different from the more literary South Canara version which we learnt in school or the North Karnataka form of the language).

As with any language, when it is used to divide people, you'll see that most people who profess their 'love' for the language actually have no interest in helping non-speakers of that language to learn it. All they want is to be able to claim superiority and gain the upper hand over non-speakers.

Hopefully you will find some genuine Bangaloreans among your friends circle who will help you learn the language as a pleasant endeavor instead of out of compulsion. And because it is handy and helpful to know and enables you to make more meaningful connections with locals, instead of being necessary as a brand that shows you belong to some tribe.

Last edited by am1m : 27th August 2019 at 12:54.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 12:54   #17533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
tech park add pillars for its entrance on a public road - which happens to be the most important road in the city. I haven't seen this happen with any other tech park or any malls.
Oh yes. This is certainly unique I agree but the bone of contention here is the very existence of the Tech Park itself and if forking out a flyover to descend right into the IT park is going to make things better, I think we should welcome this. The associated pain while this happens shall of course be the agony to bear with for few years before it is completed.

Not entirely sure about this claim that once a friend in Bombay told me about but if you see the Thane Belapur road where DAKC falls on your right with multiple entries and exits, the City corporation worked with the biggy associated with DAKC to build elevated U-Turns to make things easier for employees' vehicles to enter their campus through various gates from the opposite side without disturbing the flow of traffic. I kind of liked this idea and was thinking how even today, we have that mammoth U-Turn on Inner Ring road after EGL which actually could have been easier to manage if there was an elevated U-Turn like this (But space would be a constraint here).
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 12:57   #17534
Senior - BHPian

A very strange thread indeed - plenty of rage, bias, insane conjectures and out of the world advices

Let me add mine. Learning Kannada is a waste of time. Even kids in school need not learn it. The 3 languages that can be opted in school are English, Hindi & Sanskrit. Kannada is useful if you want to fill a Govt form which is only in Kannada and during road-rage situations. The local vendors, shop-keepers, neighbours, banks know other languages. They greet in other language and might switch if they figure out if you know Kannada. There are many folks in the city who have spent over 15 years in the city without needing to speak Kannada. Legally they are local residents and can claim state government benefits. In any case, the native Kannada speaking population is a minority here.

Last edited by msdivy : 27th August 2019 at 13:11.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 13:01   #17535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only relief is that the white topping sham has been stopped for now.
I am seeing a lot of criticism for white topping of the roads in this thread. Can anyone specify why this is considered a sham or a white elephant? To me, this was a good move. The longevity is really good for these roads especially in wet conditions and roads exposed to heavy loads and flooding. This will also put to a retarring scam at least for a reasonable period.

I am looking for some serious technical concerns other than the usual ones propagated by armchair activists like corruption, lack of water drain mechanism etc. As if these issues were non-existent before. Tendersure also was a good initiative. Looks like that also now scaled back or scrapped altogether.

I think all tech parks should emulate the model followed by Manyata.

Entry and exit to ORR is the major problem in all tech parks which is the root cause of huge jams one sees every day. There will be an inconvenience for some amount of time. But I think in the longer run steps like these will really make a difference.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th August 2019 at 14:17. Reason: Spacing for improvement in readability

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks