Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2019, 10:05   #17566
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I find it rather strange that more than 80% of the job openings in IT require people to work out of Bangalore. With the available telecom and virtual presence, why do people still want work to be done with flesh and blood connect?

Wouldn't it be better if people are let to get work done in tier 2 or even tier 3 cities with periodic visits, if so required for face to face interaction? This could well see increased work life balance and lesser stress caused due to commute to work locations.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 11:19   #17567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103
May I ask you why would it be that Government of India is an unconnected entity in this ecosystem?
Because that is the way how the Indian government system works. We have a federal system, where states have to primarly manage the affairs in the areas which they control. That is why we have lots of state level agencies which work using the state's budget. The central government cannot force its way to a state, where there is an elected government functioning precisely to improve the state. People of Karnataka elect a government expecting that government to manage things, rather than conveniently blaming the central government.

Quote:
Corporate companies in the IT sector are paying big money as corporate taxes, the rate is incidentally one of the highest in the world.
The IT companies pay the corporate taxes clearly knowing what the responsibilities of Central Govt. and State Govt are. If a corporte company sets up shop in a place,they need to know which civic agency to approach to fix their problems.

Quote:
Some part of the GST tax kitty is devolved into states by Union government. Not sure how corporate and personal taxes are spent. Anyway, that would not not absolve GoI of its share of responsibilities, post tax collection.
I don't know if it is your political bias (i.e who is ruling at central govt now) which makes you feel that GoI should get involved directly in the city of Bengaluru . The traffic problems, infrastructure problems of Bengaluru did not start in a year or two. They have started way back in 2006-2007 time period itself. And even then the responsibilities on who should fix the problems was quite clear. We have such great agencies like BDA, BBMP etc. which have a charter to work upon. The staff their draw their salaries from the state government. Why are'nt they not being questioned?

Any ways, my last post on this topic (as it it may lead to political discussions). What we must understand is that India's laws and constituition gives states lots of freedom, and lots of responsibilities as well. All talks of Panchayati Raj, local self governance is about giving more freedom (and more responsibility) to the smallest of elected bodies - i.e even Village Panchayaths. This was done because the earlier complaint was central government was meddling in all things and they did not spend the money in a judicious way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife
I find it rather strange that more than 80% of the job openings in IT require people to work out of Bangalore. With the available telecom and virtual presence, why do people still want work to be done with flesh and blood connect?
What I have observed:-

1. Many of the IT jobs (especially which requires huge man power) would be in sectors where data secrecy/integrity is very important. In such cases the companies prefer to have people work out of an office in a more secure physical environment with strong network security etc. So staff there, would naturally have to report at the office.

2. The work force available may also not be really experienced to work in an independent manner. So it helps them to be kept close (as a team) with some better experienced chap to mentor them and guide them - so that at least the work gets done. This could be the case with the so called IT Majors (Colonels & Brigs).

3. Work discipline may not be great. I have heard stories of employees working from home, mysteriously getting spotted at beaches at Pondichery and at Tirupati temple (and the company subsequently cancelling the work from home scheme they had).

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th August 2019 at 12:40. Reason: Spacing
sachinpk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 11:25   #17568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Many of the IT jobs (especially which requires huge man power) would be in sectors where data secrecy/integrity is very important.
This is true in some cases like financial software, defence/aerospace, chip design. But for the most part is not a consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The work force available may also not be really experienced to work in an independent manner... Work discipline may not be great.
Then the wrong people have been hired. The option is to fire those errant employees rather than forcing everyone to come in to work just so they can be supervised. Besides, I've spent entirely useless days in office where nothing was done, and also have had over productive days working from home. It all depends on the employee.

But your observation is absolutely correct, this does happen. The problem is our companies (and dare I say our culture itself) still depends on this 'authority figure' mentality, where managers are more like school teachers and supervisors who get into details of how an employee spends their hours, what time they log in/out, hand-hold them, rather than focus on strategy, overall direction and trust and empower employees to execute plans. Consequently, most employees also need/require/expect an authority figure, after parents in infancy, teachers while growing up...it's managers!

Last edited by am1m : 28th August 2019 at 11:40.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 12:03   #17569
Distinguished - BHPian

This is nothing but a result of:

1. Control freakishness of Indian managers
2. Need to lord over a physical fiefdom in an office
3. An inability to change
4. Prove the organizations inability to do without you by being needed to manage a physical workforce
5. Zero trust in people who work with you
6. Show people at home you have something to do by going to an office and drinking copious free coffee.

I keep seeing these types during the afternoon lunches some of them pop out together for. Just the body language makes them out to be the most unhireable folks in the observable universe.

What a sad bunch of cooks. Watch out, Ramsay is right around the corner.

Last edited by Red Liner : 28th August 2019 at 12:06.
Old 28th August 2019, 12:32   #17570
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru: Apathy towards humans and Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
He cannot claim to be a victim after punching someone to bleed, don't know if it makes sense to show sympathy or allow this kind of posts promoting violence. He is still lucky to be writing posts here, else he would have been behind the bars.
Sir, with due respect this kind of attitude of looking other way and not making a stand against such people is the reason we are in this mess today.

I didnt ram his vehicle he did. I didnt block his way he did. I didnt get out of my car and hurl abuses and surround his car he did. but yes he was a victim of a common man's standing up against hooliganism.

If they try to hurt you or your family, Violence is the solution at that point of time. Can you give them a rose once they start hitting you? or just walk away cowardly after taking a hit. Next time that guy will think twice before meddling with a "Outsider" like me.

I was enraged when they pushed (and later hit) my wife and I do not regret hitting him black and blue I will do it again if required. I regret my foul language to which he raised his hand. I never claimed to be a victim of an assault I just pointed out the apathy of onlookers who came in kicked me for no reason. I can defend myself very well in future too.

I do not promote violence I have said it again and again. but sometimes there is no way out.

As it is said When does a good man decide to hit. Maybe I should've posted injury pictures of my wife and myself to paint a victim picture here eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I think this is what turned the crowd and the police against you. His injuries made him the victim, and worthy of all the sympathy.
The crowd turned against me the moment I spoke in Hindi/English.

I have all the right to defend myself, its doesn't matter to me If I look aggressor in this case as I didn't raise hand on a lady.

Off topic:
Recently saw a video of an scientist punched by cops and fined for ridiculous, nonsensical reason here in this city, by the way he was also outside KA guy. Easy targets if i may say?. Atleast City Police should be well versed with law and behave if we call it a metro city.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th August 2019 at 12:38. Reason: Spacing
ShivrajG is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 12:45   #17571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post
Sir, with due respect this kind of attitude of looking other way and not making a stand against such people is the reason we are in this mess today.
Shivraj, free advice to you.

Henceforth do not take all this 'blocking my way' things seriously. All over India, that is how we drive. It is not just Bangalore. We ourselves, after preaching on this forum, have been guilty of doing some silly things on many occasions.

One thing that I can say for sure. You are quite an audacious person to have got into a confrontation in a city that you are still new to!

I am Bangalorean and think twice/thrice to even make eye contact. Eye contact is the first provocation for anyone.

People around you were least bothered about who was at fault. For them it was an 'outsider' against one of our own. And they turned against you.
Nalin1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 12:52   #17572
Team-BHP Support

Moderator Note: We have closed this discussion and thread. Since it was merged with a relevant already existing thread does not mean we need to continue this pointless debate.

If you still wish to; please use PM options and take it offline.

ps: It will be a never ending one

cheers
Jaggu

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
@.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post
@.
Jaggu is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 13:22   #17573
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh brother.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...1.cms?from=mdr

"The Bengaluru Metro Rail Corporation (BMRCL) will dig up a substantial portion of the newly laid concrete Outer Ring Road (ORR) to build its proposed line to the Kempegowda International Airport."

"Motorists had endured two years of traffic disruption for the white-topping of the stretch that cost about Rs 100 crore of public money."

"We are aware that the stretch has already been white-topped."
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 13:44   #17574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Eye contact is the first provocation for anyone.
A million dollar advice there Nalin1

While we may confront such hooligans nearly on an everyday basis, the best weapon really is to avoid eye contact. If you do this, the other party is not going to get provoked and rather will presume that you haven't done it on purpose and YOU don't want to make it messier.

It may not be related to the incident we are discussing here but the general thumb-rule if you want to reach your destination peacefully is to stop making eye contact. It really works and may be if the other party still comes beside you and gestures, just raise your hand with a mild smile on your face.

Honestly, I can converse, abuse or even confront in the local language more easily than the other party would think of, but I still control the urge to get there.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 14:59   #17575
Senior - BHPian

Now this is really a news to me

10 engineers fined for poor roads in Bengaluru

Quote:
The BBMP imposed penalties on 10 jurisdictional engineers for poor maintenance of roads and unscientific repair of potholes in the city.

Recently, the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) had decided that the assistant engineers and executive engineers concerned will be penalised Rs 1,000 per pothole.

Likewise, the BBMP imposed Rs 2,000 fine per person on 10 engineers for the sorry state of roads.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 15:56   #17576
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Oh brother.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...1.cms?from=mdr

"The Bengaluru Metro Rail Corporation (BMRCL) will dig up a substantial portion of the newly laid concrete Outer Ring Road (ORR) to build its proposed line to the Kempegowda International Airport."

"Motorists had endured two years of traffic disruption for the white-topping of the stretch that cost about Rs 100 crore of public money."
This is such a prime example and shows the complete lack of planning by civic bodies and government.

We have cities which lay roads and build metro stations in places that may have development 5-10 years later but the stations are locked till then and we have Bangalore where nobody has a clue on what to do.

I live in Sarjapur road and shudder to think what will happen when Wipro moves from Electronics City to Sarjapur road in coming months.

The massive Wipro campus is coming up faster than the civic bodies are digging up roads. Every week there is some new digging. When the mud makes the road unmotorable, they drop tar on few places till the tar also sinks in after 2-3 weeks then they dig up again for something else.

How they got approval for such a huge tech park without accessibility one will never knows.

To top it off metro soil testing has started on ORR from HSR to sarjapur road.

It's no wonder that companies like Amazon and Oneplus are choosing Hyderabad over Bangalore. The sole reason is traffic and infrastructure.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 16:12   #17577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
This is FUD propagated from BMRCL folks. As of now, the metro doesn't have any plan of connecting airport. On ORR they have approval only from Silkboard to KR Puram. Where did breaking concrete road in Kalyannagar come in?
Old 28th August 2019, 16:35   #17578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
This is FUD propagated from BMRCL folks.
Am not disagreeing, I have no idea if it is propaganda/FUD/whatever, but what does BMRCL gain by propagating this uncertainty?
Old 28th August 2019, 16:41   #17579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Honestly, I can converse, abuse or even confront in the local language more easily than the other party would think of, but I still control the urge to get there.
Last week this cab guy lightly brushed my car in the back. I was to take a left turn and was slightly to the right of the road. And this guy was behind me and did not want to let me turn left. Finally he slightly touched the car, and nothing happened to either cars and I started glancing at the mirror to check if the bumper is ripped off. Then later this guy comes to the side and asks me in Hindi if I cant see where I am going. The moment I gave him a fitting reply in Kannada, his tone changed and he didnt speak further. He was just assuming that I am not from Bangalore and trying to gain something out of it. Sad but this is the reality. All it needed was a stern response in Kannada and that guy could not continue his act since first of all, there was little fault in mine, and second he realised his act of speaking to me in Hindi was a miscalculation. Later, this guy maintained a three car distance behind me since I told him if he is interested he can pull over and we can have a chat. Until then, he was tailing everyone and trying to zip between lanes. I was with a friend and we were laughing at the way his behavior changed.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 16:48   #17580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
All it needed was a stern response in Kannada and that guy could not continue his act since first of all, there was little fault in mine, and second he realised his act of speaking to me in Hindi was a miscalculation.
If you have fair complexion and wearing glasses, they assume you are not from Karnataka. This is the first rule, they also look at your other characteristics before concluding you are not from Karnataka. I look like a typical Reddy so never face this scenario, but my BIL looks like a Cabbie's north guy and has faced their wrath many times on Yemalur road and around Koramangala. We can teach Kannada for driving purpose alone to people from other states to come out of scary situations. My only request is please have patience and don't fall into a trap, hurting a person physically can lead to serious situations.

Last edited by deehunk : 28th August 2019 at 17:15.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks