Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2019, 07:20   #17626
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I work in ITPL, if I take a cab from ITPL, it takes 20 minutes to reach Hoodi which includes waiting time for cab. There is very less option if you leave office between 3:00 to 3:30pm. Once the Whitefield Metro starts operationg, I wonder whether there will be any space left for passengers at other stations. An elevated 6 lane expressway from Whitefield to Baiyappanhalli would have been much useful in my opinion. I know few people who travel from Nagamangala and Kunigal everyday .

Last edited by deehunk : 5th September 2019 at 07:21.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:19   #17627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs
Once Chennai express crosses the station, track direction changes for the Mayiladudurai train to climb up the ramp to Hosur. Based on this DEMU reversal at Baiyappanahalli is possible and doable
We may have to see how the signalling system works at Bayyappanahalli. For example; the DEMU coming in from HSRA side would be "received on" road #1 at BYPL (i.e the track going to SBC). Now is there a signal to allow this train to go in the reverse direction, cross over to road #2 (going towards KJM) and then run towards WFD. In many cases going on the wrong direction on a railway track is generally not allowed. They would have to remodel the signals & point systems for that to happen.

Quote:
Not sure if there is the BMTC lobby to prevent suburban trains operating from Heelalige to Whitefield via Baiyappanahalli otherwise they would have been shunted out of business long back.
I feel it is railways on apathy which is delaying things. They were not very keen on starting a suburban network. It is quite obvious that railway will have to sink more funds, much higher than what they would get back as return of investments. Even in cities like Mumbai, the suburban railway network is not at all profitable. But IR has social obligations to keep upto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk
Once the Whitefield Metro starts operationg, I wonder whether there will be any space left for passengers at other stations.
True. The only good part is that Whitefield Metro contractor really means business, and AFAIK they are ahead of schedule . Metro folks may have to still operate some trains out of Bayyappanahalli (so that people from Indira Nagar, MG Road side can get a seat), and not just start every train from Whitefields.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 09:59   #17628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In the coming days we will see more MEMUs plying between SBC and WFD since they have got more rakes and can deploy them.
How is the walk between the Hoodi halt and ITPL? Seems to be about two and a half km. Is it an ok walk, or will you be dodging traffic all throughout?

Also, am curious about the 'Whitefield Panel Cab' station. Is it a full-fledged station? To my mind the suburban rail system is a great option. It will never be perfect, but beats the heck out of going by road between Whitefield and Byappanahalli (or Whitefield and anywhere for that matter! )

Last edited by am1m : 5th September 2019 at 10:03.
Old 5th September 2019, 10:10   #17629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
How is the walk between the Hoodi halt and ITPL? Seems to be about two and a half km. Is it an ok walk, or will you be dodging traffic all throughout?

Also, am curious about the 'Whitefield Panel Cab' station. Is it a full-fledged station? To my mind the suburban rail system is a great option. It will never be perfect, but beats the heck out of going by road between Whitefield and Byappanahalli (or Whitefield and anywhere for that matter! )
From Hoodi station to the bus stop on the main road, it takes hardly 5 min of brisk walking. Plenty of buses to ITPL with Prestige Shantiniketan being the bottle neck.
Earlier whenever I went to my parents house in Malleswaram, I preferred the train option to ITPL. For this I used to get down at Whitefield. I then have to cross the tracks, climb the wall, walk to Kadugodi bus stop, board the bus, get stuck at Hope Farm, slow moving traffic till I reach ITPL.
Compared to this, Hoodi is a much better option.
To the best of my knowledge, local trains dont stop at Whitefield Panel Cab station. Saw that yesterday when I boarded the Kuppam local train.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 10:16   #17630
Distinguished - BHPian

My heart goes out to all Bangaloreans. Is it possible that one could purchase a foldable bicycle with which one can ride where possible and walk where one's forced to? You could even hop onto public transportation wherever needed.

Here are a couple of foldable bicycles that I could find online - https://www.decathlon.in/18190-folding-cycles

To me, from the outside, it seems y'all need some novel solutions to beat the magnitude of the problem you're facing.
Old 5th September 2019, 10:55   #17631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m
Also, am curious about the 'Whitefield Panel Cab' station. Is it a full-fledged station?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs
To the best of my knowledge, local trains dont stop at Whitefield Panel Cab station. Saw that yesterday when I boarded the Kuppam local train.
Whitefield Panel Cab station is more of a "technical halt"; i.e a station mainly for Indian Railway use only. This is from where a lot of train movements are controlled (especially the huge CONCOR yard between Whitefiled and Krishnarajapuram).
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 14:44   #17632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

I feel it is railways on apathy which is delaying things. They were not very keen on starting a suburban network.

True. The only good part is that Whitefield Metro contractor really means business, and AFAIK they are ahead of schedule . Metro folks may have to still operate some trains out of Bayyappanahalli (so that people from Indira Nagar, MG Road side can get a seat), and not just start every train from Whitefields.
See the missed opportunities, Huskur is 4km from Electronic City. The nearest train station is Heelalgi, not utilised. Pananthur and Carmel Ram are close to Tech parks near Kadubisanahalli and Devarbisanahalli, not utilised. There are enough options to operate trains to all crowded areas, no one has made the first move. There is no vision among our state and national level representatives. Instead of ORR's they could have built an efficient rail network around Bangalore. The existing tracks inside city limits could have been used for internal transportation.

Last edited by deehunk : 5th September 2019 at 14:55.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 15:19   #17633
Senior - BHPian

Distance between Karmelaram and Heelalige railway stations is close to 11 KM. There's a proposal to introduce a new station at Huskur between the above 2 stations. Likewise one more station Doddenakundi can be introduced between Baiyappanahalli and Bellandur road stations. There is plenty of scope to improve rail connectivity in Bangalore. Only the will is missing.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 18:02   #17634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Distance between Karmelaram and Heelalige railway stations is close to 11 KM. There's a proposal to introduce a new station at Huskur between the above 2 stations. Likewise one more station Doddenakundi can be introduced between Baiyappanahalli and Bellandur road stations. There is plenty of scope to improve rail connectivity in Bangalore. Only the will is missing.
Rail Connectivity is a low hanging fruit, as you said, lot of scope to make huge impact with relatively very little investment. Hopefully we will see some meaningful action in this space soon as it is consistently being talked about and pushed and slowly everyone is realizing there is no other option to help mitigate the traffic woes of the city than push for rail based transport.

Even companies are realizing that. I see the company 'Danske IT' runs shuttles from Carmelaram Station to Ecoworld in sync with the morning/evening DEMU from/to Hosur.

The station at Doddenakundi is also a long pending one and eliminates the issue of last mile connectivity to ORR as it can be set up right next to the ORR in the Doddanakundi area.

Doubling of BYP-Hosur is also sanctioned, but not sure why it is has not gone into execution. Thankfully electrification is moving ahead at a brisk pace.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 19:29   #17635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I work in ITPL, if I take a cab from ITPL, it takes 20 minutes to reach Hoodi which includes waiting time for cab. There is very less option if you leave office between 3:00 to 3:30pm.
True. At that time it might not be worth it. If I leave office in car before 415, it works faster than taking the train. After that, the trend changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
The walk is okay except for some short stretches without a footpath but I would suggest cycling or using bounce. Works best. Buses and cabs get stuck in the traffic jam and with a two wheeler, you can stick to the left of the road and somehow make way. From Hoodi junction to Railway station the footpath has some encroachments but is manageable.

Whitefield Panel cab was a stop which was unofficial, and that was an intermediate signal towards KR Puram. Now with the introduction of Automatic signalling, the stops might become rare, unless there is some understanding between the railway staff since they need to board trains from there. Automatic signalling has enabled shorter gaps between trains and that will result in the signal at Whitefield Panel cab to be red only if there is some goods train movement or there is a train in Hoodi station. If not, the signal will not be red. Similar thing applies for the stop at the diesel loco shed in KR Puram. Many employees of HP alight in this stop in the mornings.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 22:23   #17636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
True. At that time it might not be worth it. If I leave office in car before 415, it works faster than taking the train. After that, the trend changes.

The walk is okay except for some short stretches without a footpath but I would suggest cycling or using bounce.
There is decent pathway till Rajapalya, beyond that footpath is either narrow or encroached. Only one side of footpath is good for walking, the other side is pathetic due to apartment constructions.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 09:45   #17637
Senior - BHPian

Not a rant (for a change). Observing the traffic from my cab noticed that at least 95% of the two wheeler riders where now wearing a helmet (though may not be of ISI standards).
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:03   #17638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Not a rant (for a change). Observing the traffic from my cab noticed that at least 95% of the two wheeler riders where now wearing a helmet (though may not be of ISI standards).
The non-ISI helmets will be the next big catch, only careless people wear such helmets. I want to see much stringent action against educated class who drive on footpaths, one-ways and overtake from left side. The next action should be against 2 wheelers who drive without side mirrors.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:17   #17639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The non-ISI helmets will be the next big catch, only careless people wear such helmets. I want to see much stringent action against educated class who drive on footpaths, one-ways and overtake from left side.
Agreed! I think forget the helmets, if someone is stupid enough to ride a motorbike on our roads without one, let them suffer the consequences (yeah, just ranting, i know by law the cops can't let it go). But far more important in Bangalore is to catch the bikers who ride on footpaths and go the wrong way (autos too). Fine them to the fullest extent of the new laws and let the word spread so people will stop (ps: this is not an anti-biker rant, I use a bike too everyday).

For a couple of days after the new fine amounts came in to effect I thought things had changed, didn't see any bikes going the wrong way on Old Airport Road. But last night, there was a continuous stream of idiots riding the wrong way again. If the cops had been there I think the government would have earned a couple of lakhs in fines!
Old 6th September 2019, 10:31   #17640
BHPian

Quote:
The next action should be against 2 wheelers who drive without side mirrors.
Couldn't agree more. I have never been able to drive a two-wheeler with confidence without both the mirrors installed. I only wonder how people drive without even a single one.

Is there a legislation around this ? Can/Will a two-wheeler be fined for not having side mirrors ? Is it part of the new MV act ? At least in bangalore I can see that bikers without a rear view mirror are all over the place. I "save" more than one such life per day when I drive to office on the ORR and they keep on switching lanes in a random fashion expecting others to brake and take care of their random (imaginary)lane changes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks