Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2019, 10:36   #17641
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
.... if someone is stupid enough to ride a motorbike on our roads without one, let them suffer the consequences (yeah, just ranting, i know by law the cops can't let it go)...
No, just no.

I hear this said a lot, and the idea needs to die. It isn't about consequences for the helmet-less idiot alone (and I don't mean the fine/legal kind either).

My biggest fear driving in India is a helmet-less rider hurting or killing themselves in my riding/driving vicinity. As I hate repeating often, an ego-bruising incident with a helmet can easily be fatal without it, and an innocent bystander could have their life ruined while an idiot biker commits vehicular suicide.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:40   #17642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The non-ISI helmets will be the next big catch, only careless people wear such helmets. I want to see much stringent action against educated class who drive on footpaths, one-ways and overtake from left side. The next action should be against 2 wheelers who drive without side mirrors.
Apart from helmets that don't serve the purpose, they should be policing helmets being strapped. A helmet that isn't strapped is as good as no helmet.

Rear view mirrors? The lesser said the better. They point at each other many a time.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:42   #17643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It isn't about consequences for the helmet-less idiot alone (and I don't mean the fine/legal kind either).
Yes, completely agree (which is why i clarified in brackets that I know this can't be let go).

The rant was because at so many spots in Bangalore, you'll see the cops busy stopping bikers without helmets, while letting cabbies, autos drive recklessly, park anywhere and bikers go the wrong way right past them while they focus only on helmet less riders.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 11:11   #17644
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Yes, completely agree (which is why i clarified in brackets that I know this can't be let go).
Sorry, that comment, said even rhetorically, gets a bee in my bonnet because there are plenty of people, even on this forum and this very thread, who advocate it's a matter of personal choice and we should let Darwin sort them out. Honestly, I've probably said it myself when younger (my posting history may have evidence), before the full consequences dawned on me. Road safety cannot be left to personal choice, because it doesn't selectively affect the person making the choice. Didn't mean to accuse you of anything.

Quote:
The rant was because at so many spots in Bangalore, you'll see the cops busy stopping bikers without helmets, while letting cabbies, autos drive recklessly, park anywhere and bikers go the wrong way right past them while they focus only on helmet less riders.
Cops are often selective, both by choice (there's probably a roulette wheel for 'traffic violation of the day' at Headquarters) and often by the sheer scale of lawlessness around them, but in a country of non-existent traffic sense where law enforcement is considered oppression, I'd still take selective enforcement over absolute mayhem. Not perfect and sometimes predatory, but still better than absolute anarchy.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 11:11   #17645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
Couldn't agree more. I have never been able to drive a two-wheeler with confidence without both the mirrors installed. I only wonder how people drive without even a single one.

Is there a legislation around this ? Can/Will a two-wheeler be fined for not having side mirrors ? Is it part of the new MV act ? At least in bangalore I can see that bikers without a rear view mirror are all over the place.
Previously the fine for driving w/o side mirrors was probably Rs.100 per mirror. I don't have the new penalty rate, but as you said they are the ones who create nuisance and many times the perpetrators of accidents on road.

Also as Chetan pointed out, the careless drivers can get involved in an accident with ourselves, by thumb rule of public, car drivers are always at fault.

The new rules can become useful only when the cabbies, TT's and private buses are penalised.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 11:56   #17646
BHPian

I often wonder as to why people in the race to get ahead create parallel lanes which have to merge into one or two basic lanes on the road they are turning into. I often see that size does not matter and there is a funnel effect where the 7-8 parallel lanes merge gingerly into lesser lanes and size of the vehicle does not matter.
Have a poker face and don't care for the nuisance your parallel lane is causing to the others standing in a queue or following each other. Many traffic pile ups are a result of this. Two wheelers and three wheelers are rampant in causing this chaos everywhere. When oh when will they learn ?
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 14:53   #17647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
..... I only wonder how people drive without even a single one.

Is there a legislation around this ? Can/Will a two-wheeler be fined for not having side mirrors ? Is it part of the new MV act ? At least in bangalore I can see that bikers without a rear view mirror are all over the place.....
Legislation & fear of the law/fines can only force people to install rear-view mirrors. But no force on earth can compel them to use it. That sense has to come from within
Old 6th September 2019, 14:56   #17648
Senior - BHPian

Folks. Not sure if this is the right thread to post my query

I have a TN registered car and the RC is in paper format. I would like to convert the same into smart card. Currently I am residing in Bangalore.
Can anyone guide me as to how to get the RC in smart card.
Old 6th September 2019, 16:27   #17649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m
They do when they get an instruction from higher officials to focus on certain type of traffic violations. And these officials also review the number of MV petty cases registered on that type of violations. And also in a city like Bengaluru enforcing any sort of traffic violation is pretty much possible because every single police man out there have to try some thing to ease the traffic flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao
often by the sheer scale of lawlessness around them, but in a country of non-existent traffic sense where law enforcement is considered oppression, I'd still take selective enforcement over absolute mayhem
Bangalore police -from what I understand- have actually given up on certain things. One of them are smooth flowing traffic on roads, or enforcing traffic laws effectively all across the city. What is a "big traffic jam" for a common driver; is no more a matter of urgency for the traffic police. Because they jolly well know that the city roads are saturated. Waving at vehicles or asking them to go fast etc is of no use. And secondly there are too many people violating too many laws; it is difficult to enforce all laws 24/7. But here atleast automation should help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk
Previously the fine for driving w/o side mirrors was probably Rs.100 per mirror. I don't have the new penalty rate, but as you said they are the ones who create nuisance and many times the perpetrators of accidents on road.
Many of such regulations (like mirrors) are there in CMVR. And now any violation for which a fine is not explicitly specified it is from Rs. 300 to Rs. 500 (Sec. 177 MV Act).

Last edited by sachinpk : 6th September 2019 at 16:29.
Old 6th September 2019, 16:28   #17650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I often wonder as to why people in the race to get ahead create parallel lanes which have to merge into one or two basic lanes on the road they are turning into. I often see that size does not matter and there is a funnel effect where the 7-8 parallel lanes merge gingerly into lesser lanes and size of the vehicle does not matter.
Have a poker face and don't care for the nuisance your parallel lane is causing to the others standing in a queue or following each other. Many traffic pile ups are a result of this. Two wheelers and three wheelers are rampant in causing this chaos everywhere. When oh when will they learn ?
I see this everyday on the Kannenahalli-Kadubeesanahalli road that I use to go to Ecoworld. There is one wide area in the road where people create 5 lanes, which then have to merge into a single lane. It is obvious to everyone that this is causing traffic jams everyday, but people keep doing the same thing every single day . In some cases, they go over to the opposite lane and block incoming traffic as well, causing even more jams.
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 19:50   #17651
Senior - BHPian

Going on the opposite lane is encouraged by the bangalore traffic police. Have often seen even BMTC buses going straight or left coming on the wrong side of the median and being encouraged by the traffic cops. This is seen in Several areas in north Bangalore including most commonly Yeshwanthpur circle where 5-6 cops are always there. Also at Peenya circle, under the flyover.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 09:56   #17652
Distinguished - BHPian

There was a horrendous traffic block at Hebbal/Mekhri Circle today morning due to PM leaving ISRO Peenya to Yelahanka AF Base. Took close to 75 minutesr from Esteem Mall to Mekhri Circle :-(
Old 8th September 2019, 07:46   #17653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
There was a horrendous traffic block at Hebbal/Mekhri Circle today morning due to PM leaving ISRO Peenya to Yelahanka AF Base. Took close to 75 minutesr from Esteem Mall to Mekhri Circle :-(
All routes from Peenya towards Mehkri circle were blocked due to this. I was about to enter Tumkur road towards Gorguntepalaya coming from HMT road at around 8 AM but was stopped near CMTI/Peenya metro station. Had to wait there for around 45 minutes. Apparently, they stopped us when PM had just finished his speech at ISTRAC!!
The motorcade finally passed by at 8.45 AM.
Old 8th September 2019, 14:44   #17654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I see this everyday on the Kannenahalli-Kadubeesanahalli road that I use to go to Ecoworld. There is one wide area in the road where people create 5 lanes, which then have to merge into a single lane. It is obvious to everyone that this is causing traffic jams everyday, but people keep doing the same thing every single day . In some cases, they go over to the opposite lane and block incoming traffic as well, causing even more jams.
+1
I wonder what the thinking is behind this. How can someone behave like an idiot daily or have those folk become so thick skinned and lost common sense that they can compute only "move forward and fast" and nothing else. Its almost like animals who apart from some very basic functions of eat , sleep , survive predators and defend young are not capable of higher level brain functions. I see the dead look in the eyes of these cabbies / TT drivers and see that they are almost on autopilot which of course shows lack of common sense. This is also true in case of two wheelers who may not lack common sense but want to flout it anyway just because they can squeeze their way through anywhere. Some folk on two wheels who know in their mind they are wrong defend themselves by getting aggressive if some poor soul does object.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 06:49   #17655
Senior - BHPian

I understand that two trucks had an accident around 5.30 am today near Karthik Nagara bus stop on ORR so , people crossing Marathalli towards Mahadevapura will see jams in the morning.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks