Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Traffic advisory by Bangalore Traffic Police for Muharram

Traffic Advisory for Bangalore
Old 10th September 2019, 09:02   #17657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
The rant was because at so many spots in Bangalore, you'll see the cops busy stopping bikers without helmets, while letting cabbies, autos drive recklessly, park anywhere and bikers go the wrong way right past them while they focus only on helmet less riders.
100% agree with you. And you see the result of offences booked by BTP. 4500+ cases for Helmetless rider/pillion. And Two(ONLY TWO) no-parking offence from past 5 days as per published data of BTP. While there are 1000s of no-parking offences in each area and 100s of tow trucks deployed.

As long as you wear helmet, you can commit any offence infront of BTP, they wont care. BTP should be renamed as "Bangalore Helmet-less Riders catcher Police".
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 22:11   #17658
Senior - BHPian

There is a mega March / rally planned in support of a politician who recently got arrested by the ED. Members of a particular community have planned for a mega March and rally tomorrow, 11th Sept. March starts at Basavanagudi and ends at Raj Bhavan.

People who take these routes / plan to venture into areas closer to these areas may plan your trips after checking the news.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 11:17   #17659
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, suggest to be careful when traveling in Bangalore city and towns south of Bangalore due to this political situation. Heard of people being organized for this.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 14:05   #17660
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, some stats around the cases booked and fines collected recently:

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...hours-5969438/

"Usage of phones while driving/riding and non-usage of helmets while riding contributes most to revised traffic fines collected in Bengaluru."

Cases booked: 2978 (riding without helmet: 1581, pillion without helmet: 1121, without seat belt: 141, no parking: 13 , against one way: 87)

It's great that cops are cracking down, but it must be said that the main offenses that contribute most to the traffic snarls in Bangalore- haphazard parking and driving the wrong way have seen a laughable number of cases booked against what we see happening every day on Bangalore roads.

Which is why people will start wearing helmets now and ride the wrong way! And cabbies will make sure their seat belts are on while they park anywhere and everywhere and block traffic!

Hopefully cops will start cracking down on the other offences soon, once the number of 'helmet' less and 'belt less' instances come down.
Old 12th September 2019, 15:11   #17661
Distinguished - BHPian

Good roads cause accidents, not bad roads: Karnataka deputy CM

Old 12th September 2019, 17:10   #17662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
We've heard this before haven't we! Karnataka Chief Minister Dharam Singh had said this years back.
PS: Could not find the link to the relevant news item. This was in 2006 or so.
Old 13th September 2019, 10:47   #17663
Distinguished - BHPian

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/71088942.cms

"After Gujarat, Uttarakhand reduces traffic fines, more may follow"

Wait, what?! Why?! The increased fines were working! Even my idiot neighbor who never wears a helmet and as a consequence, his kids have started riding without helmets, started wearing one (a useless, lit-type one, but still). Now it will be back to business as usual.

And aren't the government's of GJ and UK from the same party that's at the Center?! Can't understand this move at all and why the Center can't ensure that the states don't undo the good work they have begun!
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 11:18   #17664
Senior - BHPian

Almost every state is doing something or the other about this. The fines are good as they stand - it is just that the potential fine amount mounts up quite high when you have an eager policeman finding every single excuse to impose a fine when he catches a guy for, say, speeding.

Earlier if the guy was caught for speeding he'd pay the speeding fine and move on. Now he pays a fine for all kinds of real or imagined issues.

Quote:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/71088942.cms

"After Gujarat, Uttarakhand reduces traffic fines, more may follow"

Wait, what?! Why?! The increased fines were working! Even my idiot neighbor who never wears a helmet and as a consequence, his kids have started riding without helmets, started wearing one (a useless, lit-type one, but still). Now it will be back to business as usual.

And aren't the government's of GJ and UK from the same party that's at the Center?! Can't understand this move at all and why the Center can't ensure that the states don't undo the good work they have begun!
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 11:29   #17665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Earlier if the guy was caught for speeding he'd pay the speeding fine and move on. Now he pays a fine for all kinds of real or imagined issues.
Fair enough, that's wrong, I agree. But I see the new fines working. Cops are actively stopping people who break the law and finally there seems to be some fear of the law. That's a good thing, otherwise the brazenness of motorists breaking the law in Bangalore is amazing! And I can attest to the fact that cops aren't just randomly stopping people to collect money. One of my bikes has an out-of-state registration and I've passed several cops who were stopping people without helmets and cutting red lights over the past week, haven't been stopped unnecessarily for checks.

Finally the government has given them some teeth, hope there is some way they can continue to use them. Given the chaos, I think it is very necessary for Bangalore traffic to learn to respect, maybe even fear the law.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 11:37   #17666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fair enough, that's wrong, I agree. But I see the new fines working. Cops are actively stopping people who break the law and finally there seems to be some fear of the law. That's a good thing, otherwise the brazenness of motorists breaking the law in Bangalore is amazing! And I can attest to the fact that cops aren't just randomly stopping people to collect money. One of my bikes has an out-of-state registration and I've passed several cops who were stopping people without helmets and cutting red lights over the past week, haven't been stopped unnecessarily for checks.

Finally the government has given them some teeth, hope there is some way they can continue to use them. Given the chaos, I think it is very necessary for Bangalore traffic to learn to respect, maybe even fear the law.
Why were cops not enforcing law before ? I paid 300 rupees for speeding once and I was careful after that. I dont think people wouldn't care if fines were 300 or 1000. Its still money and if they repeat it, they will end up paying more.

I dont understand how new fines have improved enforcement. Why was enforcement weak before ?
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 11:43   #17667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Why were cops not enforcing law before ? I dont understand how new fines have improved enforcement. Why was enforcement weak before ?
I don't know the correct answer. All I can speak for is what I've observed over the past week since the new fines came into effect. And speculate based on human nature, obviously if the stakes are higher, higher fine amount, and you have more to lose, you will be more careful, right? Similarly, if the amount they stand to collect is much higher (if through potential bribes), cops will be more motivated to catch lawbreakers, right?

Like with any other price consideration, people will certainly care if the fine is 1000 as opposed to 300. Price matters, especially in India.

Last edited by am1m : 13th September 2019 at 11:45.
Old 13th September 2019, 11:44   #17668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I can attest to the fact that cops aren't just randomly stopping people to collect money. One of my bikes has an out-of-state registration and I've passed several cops who were stopping people without helmets and cutting red lights over the past week, haven't been stopped unnecessarily for checks.
My TN registered Fiesta used to be a magnet for cops on fishing expeditions .. often at points like just below the E City flyover, Hudson Circle etc. At various times I'd see them stopping out of state sedans for one reason or the other - and this was when the old fines were in force not these new ones - and then going on a hunt for RC, DL, PUC, how long you've been in Bangalore and do you have toll receipts, etc etc.

Normally around the end of the month when their fine collection targets needed to be met, I suspect.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 12:19   #17669
BHPian

Quote:
He's right you know. If the roads are pothole riddled then there's no way in hell anyone will do more than 10-20 KMPH, who are you gonna hit at that speed? Plus no need to enforce any speed limit cause no one will get anywhere near it!

Our politicians are amazing man.

(Please note: This is sarcasm if there are those that think I'm mad)
Old 13th September 2019, 13:55   #17670
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
We've heard this before haven't we! Karnataka Chief Minister Dharam Singh had said this years back.
PS: Could not find the link to the relevant news item. This was in 2006 or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
He's right you know. If the roads are pothole riddled then there's no way in hell anyone will do more than 10-20 KMPH, who are you gonna hit at that speed? Plus no need to enforce any speed limit cause no one will get anywhere near it!

Our politicians are amazing man.

(Please note: This is sarcasm if there are those that think I'm mad)

Another one now:
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...471-2019-09-12

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks