Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2019, 14:46   #17671
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
It's high time we need to bring "common sense" as one of the requirement for political candidates.
Old 13th September 2019, 20:16   #17672
BHPian

Government can do a lot to nudge people to public transport. Fixing the suburban rail network is definitely one of them.

1) In Ottawa, the Government used to allow tax exemption on the monthly bus pass purchases. Annually, this used to be a good amount to save. Buses have dedicated lanes on many busy roads and they had right to go first compared to other private automobiles. This can be encouraged in India also.

Challenge with bus as compared to train is about maintaining the punctuality. Buses are prone to get delayed because of traffic congestion on the road like any other vehicle.

2) Footpaths have to be spic and span so that people can walk without worrying about falling into ditches or vehicles hitting them down. Personally, I believe this can solve last mile connectivity issues to a reasonable extent. Arrangements like 'shared autos' which is working well in Chennai can also help with the last mile connectivity.

3) Lastly, cycling has to be encouraged at any cost. I see that nobody is talking about it. There should be dedicated lanes or roads for them to make it safe. Corporates should have the vetting power to allow tax credits to employees who ride a cycle to work. If the money is good, more people will try provided the infrastructure is conducive to cycling.

Once the movement catches up to a critical mass, it will become self-sustaining. Moving people to cycles and rest to trains (or even buses) is the key to unlocking the gridlock.

Last edited by B103 : 13th September 2019 at 20:22.
B103 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 11:19   #17673
Senior - BHPian

Looking for suggestions: We have an invitation to attend at Bistro Claytopia, Koramangala around noon on Sunday, 15 September. What kind of parking options do I have in this place or nearby? Would it be advisable to take a taxi instead of driving?

Last edited by airbus : 14th September 2019 at 11:22.
Old 14th September 2019, 11:23   #17674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Looking for suggestions: We have an invitation to attend at Bistro Claytopia, Koramangala around noon on Sunday 15 September. What kind of parking options do I have in this place or nearby? Would it be advisable to take a taxi instead of driving?
Absolutely no parking at this venue. Only option is a residential lane opposite this, but chances of being able to get a slot is slim and it is not a official parking place.

Would suggest taxi for peace or mind.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 12:04   #17675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Looking for suggestions: We have an invitation to attend at Bistro Claytopia, Koramangala around noon on Sunday, 15 September. What kind of parking options do I have in this place or nearby? Would it be advisable to take a taxi instead of driving?

Being sunday, there will be plenty of parking space on residential lanes behind the wipro park.
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 19:20   #17676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m
Hopefully cops will start cracking down on the other offences soon, once the number of 'helmet' less and 'belt less' instances come down.
People are now getting scared of the hefty fines. Last Wednesday I had gone to renew my PUC certificate. The place (outside city proper) had a queue of 1 hr 30 mins. Every one now knows that pay Rs. 50 or Rs. 100 for a PUC certificate or be willing to pay Rs. 1000 . And I agree with you when you say people have started wearing helmets (or at least some thing which can be passed off as helmet).

Quote:
And aren't the government's of GJ and UK from the same party that's at the Center?! Can't understand this move at all and why the Center can't ensure that the states don't undo the good work they have begun!
Section 200 of MV Act actually allows state to compound certain motor vehicle act violations. They can change the fines; but it can never be lower than the minimum nor higher than the maximum set by the central government. GJ and UK etc are just using this provision to reduce the fines and play to the gallery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus
he fines are good as they stand - it is just that the potential fine amount mounts up quite high when you have an eager policeman finding every single excuse to impose a fine when he catches a guy for, say, speeding.
My favourite chap was the auto rickshaw driver of Orissa who did not have a single document on him or for his vehicle (no license, no RC book, no insurance) and was also rich enough to get drunk while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva
I dont think people wouldn't care if fines were 300 or 1000. Its still money and if they repeat it, they will end up paying more.
They do sir! People are now scared of the fines. As I mentioned above, people are lining up even for getting their PUC certificates. Rs. 500 (the bare minimum fine) is not a small money for many. An auto rickshaw driver was telling me that Rs.500 gone as a fine one day; is like losing 50% of the day's income for some of these chaps. An Ola cabbie who was abusing the traffic police did admit that for some violations would make his entire day's collection vanish. His concern was that individuals like him will suffer while organised thugs like the water tanker mafia, private bus mafia would work out a deal at a much higher level and escape.

Quote:
I dont understand how new fines have improved enforcement. Why was enforcement weak before ?
The enforcement was weak because the punishment's prescribed had no great influence on the violator's mind set. Paltry sums like Rs. 100/- for majority of offences with no strict rules on license suspension etc made every one drive the way they want. In Bangalore there was a time when the Traffic Police actually dealt with "No Parking" violations using an unknown provision of Indian Penal Code. This meant more paper work for the police - they had to lodge an FIR, make a small charge sheet and then send a copy to the magistrate etc. But the advantage was that the offender had to take a day's leave and stand patiently at the over crowded magistrate courts of Mayo Hall. And no rude behaviour or throwing tantrums based on one's official position, IT company names etc.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 08:22   #17677
Distinguished - BHPian

Big jam at Agara today morning. My wife who usually takes 50 to 60 mins daily to office took an additional 20 mins to reach office (This is in a 2-wheeler before 7AM).

Some politician is coming it seems to some event called Vrukshotsava. Hence there are lot of police personnel and this has caused a jam.

People going on this road, be prepared or if possible take alternate roads based on the traffic.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20190917_081515.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 08:43   #17678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Big jam at Agara today morning. My wife who usually takes 50 to 60 mins daily to office took an additional 20 mins to reach office (This is in a 2-wheeler before 7AM).

Some politician is coming it seems to some event called Vrukshotsava. Hence there are lot of police personnel and this has caused a jam.

People going on this road, be prepared or if possible take alternate roads based on the traffic.

Attachment 1915590
Agree. Saw loads of police personnel all the way up to Marathahalli. There was slow moving traffic opposite Embassy Tech Village at 7:15AM today. Iblur junction seems to be bearing the brunt of it. Both Haralur and Central Jail roads were jammed way beyond usual early morning today.
Old 17th September 2019, 08:55   #17679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Some politician is coming it seems to some event called Vrukshotsava.
Apparently our very own Yeddy is attending the event and hence all the bandobast.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 09:17   #17680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Apparently our very own Yeddy is attending the event and hence all the bandobast.
Saw police has blocked Service road at Agara lake which has a banner, Welcome to Yeddy. So this is causing huge jam.
Old 17th September 2019, 13:33   #17681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Just to compare and rant! Our President H.E. Ramanath Kovind ji is currently on a 3 nation tour and unveiled the statue of Mahatma Gandhi in Bern, Switzerland. At 00:45 onwards in the video one could see the general public moving in the road undisturbed. Given the fact that President of a visiting nation along with Switzerland's president, Mayor of Bern etc are present in the location without hindering the general public in any form whatsoever.

AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 17:34   #17682
Distinguished - BHPian

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/71160094.cms

"The locals on Monday made the road contractor lie down in an ambulance like a patient and drove him over the potholed-ridden stretch from Canacona primary centre to Nagarcem."

Perhaps we can get road contractors and city planners to commute between the different IT parks in Bangalore to experience first hand what most Bangaloreans go through everyday.
Old 17th September 2019, 18:17   #17683
Distinguished - BHPian

Just what I was referring to on another thread few days back that how these so called online platforms like Public eye by BTP is just an eyewash after I shared my own experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Regarding how our cops are better than the others, probably we need to have a seperate thread on that because I have posted such complaints enough number of times but to no avail and realised they act selectively and ignore most of them.
Traffic police overlook offences on Public Eye app

Quote:
A large number of complaints registered through the Public Eye app launched by the Bengaluru Traffic Police (BTP) remain unattended, much to the annoyance of the users.

Though users get a message on the app that a notice has been served to the offender, they check the BTP’s website and find ‘no pending cases’ displayed against their names.
Old 18th September 2019, 08:14   #17684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Just what I was referring to on another thread few days back that how these so called online platforms like Public eye by BTP is just an eyewash after I shared my own experience.
Not really, I have reported many no-parking cases and they have booked it. It might take time from 15 days to 1 month, but i see most cases are booked.

Oh saw the article now, i haven't checked the vehicle number if they are booked, need to do it. If they are just closing saying as booked and not booking, then its waste of time of public.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-whatsapp-image-20190918-8.11.29-am.jpeg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-whatsapp-image-20190918-8.12.11-am.jpeg  

Last edited by shamanth : 18th September 2019 at 08:17.
shamanth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 08:16   #17685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Not really, I have reported many no-parking cases and they have booked it
My experience is a mixed bag. And this post is in relation to one two of such experiences I had talked about in previous posts.

Offences like No Parking are perhaps the most common and easiest ones for them to book.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks