Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2019, 19:22   #17761
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I really need to buy an SUV for Bangalore. Over the years I've honed the routes I take - Covering hospitals in Malleshwaram, Yeshwanthpur, Vidyaranyapura, Yelahanka, M S Palya and back to Nagwara, to avoid significant traffic unless there is a break down or accident. However when it rains the Kodegehalli underpass gets flooded. The alternate route gets flooded at Rachenahalli lake. These are scary in my Alto, City and Mobilio. All kinds of screeching, squealing noises after I cross the water logged areas. I could take an elaborate Z and get on the ORR, but drunk driving checking piles up traffic at the time I return - about 2230-2300. Probably worthwhile getting a Fortuner or endeavor with a snorkel. Pity is I really like small checkable cars, but BBMP seems to want to convert people to tall vehicles.
Old 10th October 2019, 11:02   #17762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I really need to buy an SUV for Bangalore.
My very thought!

While the world moves with network of roads, Bangalore crawls in patchwork of them!

A pity really, the beautiful city getting destroyed as we see it.
Old 10th October 2019, 11:59   #17763
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday afternoon,My wife took more than 2 hours to cover a distance of 22Kms. This was on a two wheeler and even before the peak hours starts.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-silk-board.jpeg

Usually this takes 60mins to 75mins max. the additional 50-60 mins was spent to cross the infamous Silk board. God help those trying to cross that in a car and during peak hours!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 13:49   #17764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Some of the u-turns/break-in-medians on old madras road have been closed - the one in front of Byappanahalli metro and the one at the Indiranagar BDA complex.
Whether it helps ease traffic needs to be seen.
Had been through this route yesterday evening Indiranagar BDA-->Bypanall. metro--->>, traffic was smoother than the past, when all U turns were open.

Will check this out today too.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 14:41   #17765
BHPian

Yes, it is smoother as the most congested U-turn was the one after Metro station as vehicles stopping at the Metro, those going straight and those taking a U-turn were all jostling for space. Now with this signal closed and the next signal being only a signal with no Metro station next to it, it is smoother movement.

Now I have only seen one side of the story .
Old 11th October 2019, 08:35   #17766
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like bus corridor work has started.

Got this image shared on another travel group. It's of ORR opposite to Innovative multiplex near Marathahalli it seems.

The bus lanes were planned for right most lane in ORR when they came up with flyovers. Now the left most lane is marked for it. Wonder what chaos it will be once they open it end of this month.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20191011wa0003.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 08:57   #17767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Got this image shared on another travel group. It's of ORR opposite to Innovative multiplex near Marathahalli it seems.

The bus lanes were planned for right most lane in ORR when they came up with flyovers. Now the left most lane is marked for it. Wonder what chaos it will be once they open it end of this month.

Attachment 1922161
Read that the launch on KR Puram - Silk Board stretch is planned for November 1st. But what a waste of the dual flyover concept which was only done for this bus lane idea. If it is going to be on the left side wonder how it will be handled on the flyovers.

But an idea worth pursuing in my opinion.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 08:59   #17768
Senior - BHPian

Big question is what about the residents who reside in apartments that are on the left side of the bus lane. Every time entry or exit of a car or 2 wheeler will invariably cross into the bus lane which can create traffic jams.
Experts. Your take on this.
Old 11th October 2019, 09:03   #17769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Read that the launch on KR Puram - Silk Board stretch is planned for November 1st. But what a waste of the dual flyover concept which was only done for this bus lane idea. If it is going to be on the left side wonder how it will be handled on the flyovers.

But an idea worth pursuing in my opinion.
With the usual "intelligent" traffic management in bangalore, they would come up with the stupidest idea possible, ever!

BTW you guys remember how the tin factory bus stop lanes are handled? especially towards marathalli? this actually made the scene worse than it actually was.
thirumalkumaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 09:27   #17770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
But what a waste of the dual flyover concept which was only done for this bus lane idea.
That space between the flyovers will be occupied by the metro line that will come up in future. In a way, that badly designed flyover will turn out to be good.
Quote:
If it is going to be on the left side wonder how it will be handled on the flyovers.
Even on flyovers, bus lane will be on the left most lane. Just before the flyover, these traffic spring posts won't be placed for considerable distance aiding in crossing of traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Big question is what about the residents who reside in apartments that are on the left side of the bus lane. Every time entry or exit of a car or 2 wheeler will invariably cross into the bus lane which can create traffic jams.
Experts. Your take on this.
Buses should stay in Bus lanes only, but other vehicles can come in bus lane to cross over. so nothing much will change. Only change that is expected is that the buses will stay on the left

It might work in places where people are disciplined or police are strict. we have neither. I can already imagine these traffic spring posts crushed and flattened on the roads in a few days
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 09:41   #17771
BHPian

Quote:
Dedicates bus lanes in India.

Only reaction is!

Bus lanes are in countries in which people drive. We don't drive on roads. We fill gaps in front of us.
Nalin1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 10:02   #17772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
That space between the flyovers will be occupied by the metro line that will come up in future. In a way, that badly designed flyover will turn out to be good.
What about the underpasses in place of flyovers ? The space between underpasses cannot be used for Metro pillars AFAIK.
Old 11th October 2019, 11:22   #17773

Quote:
With this much space between the foam pillars, i think the lane will be full of two-wheelers and maybe even autos!
Old 11th October 2019, 11:35   #17774
Team-BHP Support

Looking at the amount of space needed for metro work elsewhere, I'm highly skeptical the space between dual flyovers will be enough for construction activities, unless they're going to use radically different methods on the ORR. The cranes they use to lift and position pre-cast sections needs 2-3 lanes of space (watching these on Mysore Road section currently in progress).

I won't be surprised if they recommend 're-configuring' (read demolishing) some of these monstrosities.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 11:39   #17775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrnair80 View Post
With this much space between the foam pillars, i think the lane will be full of two-wheelers and maybe even autos!
If its foam pillars for BRT its invitation of failure as you said will be filled by two wheeler, enforcement will be impossible, where BTP struggle to even enforce wrong side driving of two wheerlers. It has to be solid concrete walls.

Most Viewed