Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 12:02   #17791
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
And it is ridiculous to see there are these “Rolls Royce – Lava Kusha” buses which did not get into the bus lane but just stopped on our lane and picking the passengers who have to now cross the bus lane to get into this bus. .
This is the next big ridiculous thing. Now we have one lane for BMTC bus, another lane for these private buses, which are first of all not authorised to pick and drop passengers within the city, and then the other commuters get one lane to find their way out. What completely pisses me off is no one in BTP or RTO or BBMP will be man enough to also force these private buses into the bus lane. They are let free to do their business. At least if all the public transport buses along with private ones are forced into the bus lane, then that itself will turn out to make traffic better since other vehicles which do not stop on the road will have two complete lanes to move.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 13:02   #17792
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
...At least if all the public transport buses along with private ones are forced into the bus lane, then that itself will turn out to make traffic better since other vehicles which do not stop on the road will have two complete lanes to move.
You're underestimating BMTC drivers (and Bangaloreans) in general. Most of them will be on the opposite end of the carriageway till the last second, then just barge across to get into the bus lane, and if the lane is full, they'll just stay parked across the active carriageway until they can get in.

Driving discipline (esp. lane discipline) is the base ingredient of traffic management. Nothing will work until we fix that. We could add a dozen lanes to each road and it will still be gridlock.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 13:12   #17793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Driving discipline (esp. lane discipline) is the base ingredient of traffic management. Nothing will work until we fix that. We could add a dozen lanes to each road and it will still be gridlock.
Completely second that. If everyone were to exercise conscience and basic lane discipline, traffic signal discipline etc there is no question that a lot of traffic issues would be eased out. Inane and last minute lane changing, cutting lanes, overspeeding, trying to race on public roads, and lack of basic courtesy towards other drivers, among other things, are central to the traffic situation. Unless these are addressed, other measures will still be stonewalled.
Old 14th October 2019, 13:42   #17794
Senior - BHPian

The bus lane will work if the infrastructure design is planned end-to-end, with 100% involvement of traffic police & BMTC drivers, with changes in bus stops, traffic signals. Commuters are an insignificant part of the ecosystem to have any influence in this exercise.

A precedent exists in Bangalore for the dedicated lane concept. When H T Sangliana was Commissioner of Police, Bangalore City, he had a brain wave of creating a dedicated lane for autos to curb their driving menace. 6 feet road on the left side of Queen's road was barricaded for autos. The reason you don't see the dedicated auto lane now because when Sangliana's tenure ended, the barricades were removed.

Reasons why the auto lane failed:
1) Slowest auto dictated the lane speed.
Different auto drivers drive at different speeds. Some autos are old, some were new. Some were well maintained and in condition. Some were not. Drivers drive them considering these and not all can go at top speed.

2) Any auto stopping for passenger exit or entry blocked the lane.
Slowing down of any auto for any passenger inquiry, slowed down the entire lane. Same with street vendors, cyclists who got into that lane.

3) Any auto breakdown completely stopped the auto traffic.
Initially, there was traffic police to help out. Later the drivers were left on his own.

4) Bus stop intercepted with auto lane. When there was a bus at the stop, autos had to wait.

5) Autos not taking the dedicated lane traveled faster. So autos stopped taking the auto lane.
In the end, a lane on the road was wasted.

Last edited by msdivy : 14th October 2019 at 13:47.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:11   #17795
Distinguished - BHPian

Not so long ago Bangalore adopted to Plastic roads. There was a dedicated bus lane starting from Cauvery Junction all the way to Hebbal (if I recollect)and within few days these bollards were flat and mixed well with asphalt thus making it the first road in Bangalore that was partly made of plastic!!

Needless to say, I wish all the best for these dedicated bus lane on ORR. May the other commuters reach their office/home on time.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th October 2019 at 14:12.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:23   #17796
Senior - BHPian

If done right, it might well be a great way to travel in Bus. I am thinking of what will happen to others in their own vehicles. Traffic already moves so slow and with one lane taken off, it could be worse.

There are multiple places where a road or a service road merges with main road. Will those be blocked as usual and buses will also have to just stop until the junctions clear ?

With metro digging and barricading, how long will these lanes work ?
Old 14th October 2019, 14:52   #17797
Senior - BHPian

At least better than not having any plan to curb the traffic. Let's wish it will yield some positive results.

Wondering how the Autos, TTs, Private buses, Cabs, Quick rides etc will pick the passengers from the bus stops. They are the ones now to be watched out.

Other challenges, now the Volvo's will have to stick to the lane and go behind a slow moving normal BMTC. I cannot imagine how this is going to work
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 19:37   #17798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post

I personally support the move to encourage public transport. According to the article, the goal is to improve the average speed of BMTC buses from 10kmph to 25kmph. There was a news sometime back that BMTC is making heavy losses due to the low average speeds and they are going to send the Volvo buses to tier 2 cities. So this seems to be an experiment to save BMTC?

There was a prior news that said the lane will allow any vehicles having more than 20 seats (excludes TTs?).

Anyway, I won't be able to switch to BMTC for my office commute (HSR to Ecoworld) unless they improve the last mile connectivity. I stay around 3kms from the nearest bus stop on ORR. I wish they add some feeder buses.

Nevertheless, I hope to try it out when they start the operation.
Old 14th October 2019, 20:14   #17799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
There was a prior news that said the lane will allow any vehicles having more than 20 seats (excludes TTs?).
Its only for BMTC, it will be mess if you allow office bus and TT in this lane, as they wont stop at BMTC stops and will pick-up passengers from random places. No where in the world non-public transport buses are allowed in BRT lane.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 22:22   #17800
BHPian

btw,I am guessing folks from ORR (Mahadevapura & Doddanekkundi) can help - the traffic today towards Marathalli from KR Puram is/was standstill. Any pointers as to why ? I hope its not the "Bollards"
Old 14th October 2019, 22:27   #17801
Distinguished - BHPian

Speaking of dedicated lanes, Ecoworld has a dedicated two wheeler lane for a small section on the side towards ORR- Starting from the Adarsh turn off to the building before the Intel campus starts. Not sure of the logic of such a lane in a small section. Tried to get a grab from my dashcam, not very clear and it had been moved aside during the weekend, but the barricades can be seen on the right side.

Personally not complaining as I ride from one end of Ecoworld to the other and this lane has been helpful.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20191014182157.png
Old 14th October 2019, 22:53   #17802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
btw,I am guessing folks from ORR (Mahadevapura & Doddanekkundi) can help - the traffic today towards Marathalli from KR Puram is/was standstill. Any pointers as to why?
No, that is not due to bus lane.

Here is a WhatsApp forward on that:

Quote:
Traffic diversion notice - Alpine Eco road entry from ORR is not allowed
BWSSB UGD was overflowing everyday and the UGD Chamber also collapsed. BWSSB team is working on relaying the UGD and constructing chambers. Work likely to take 3 more days

Today evening onwards Alpine Eco road is made one-way and entry from Rainbow Children Hospital side is closed

Please use Old airport road through Kundanahalli Gate or Chinnapanahalli Main road (smaller vehicles ONLY)

Traffic gridlocks/severe congestion expected in Alpine Eco road, ORR Doddanekundi, Goshala Road and Chinnapanahalli Main road

Since this is EMERGENCY work no other options were feasible
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 07:37   #17803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Its only for BMTC, it will be mess if you allow office bus and TT in this lane, as they wont stop at BMTC stops and will pick-up passengers from random places. No where in the world non-public transport buses are allowed in BRT lane.
In the West, it is a high occupancy lane and can be used by any vehicle having an occupancy more than a pre published number.
Keeping exclusive bus lanes and preventing other HOVs is a bad idea imho
Old 15th October 2019, 08:06   #17804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Speaking of dedicated lanes, Ecoworld has a dedicated two wheeler lane for a small section on the side towards ORR- Starting from the Adarsh turn off to the building before the Intel campus starts. Not sure of the logic of such a lane in a small section.
They put it up during peak hours in the evening. As you said, it really helps the bikes go through for some part of the internal road and that clears out some of the jam, at least for the two-wheelers. In addition, it prevents the autos, cabs and other cars from stopping at random on the left side of the road, where they wait to pick people up and cause jams. I think it's a good move and it takes a lot of effort from the security guys, putting up those temporary barriers every evening.
Old 15th October 2019, 08:20   #17805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by realactivex View Post
In the West, it is a high occupancy lane and can be used by any vehicle having an occupancy more than a pre published number.
Keeping exclusive bus lanes and preventing other HOVs is a bad idea imho
Those are car pooling lanes used in US where public transport is almost non-existent, cannot take that as example. If you take example of Amsterdam only tram and city bus are allowed in BRT corridor. Same in Brazil cities which is a big success.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks